• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Grade Your Team’s Draft

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you take mock drafts way to literal...I agree with you in terms of their worth...but it's just BS fun, no more, no less...the guys that get paid to make them really don't know a whole lot more than we avg joes do, but a few have carved out a decent living in ad revenue....more power to 'em.

BPA always solid drafting, but truthfully it's kinda going out the window to a large degree. Teams try to fill needs with what they feel is the best talent, often leaving better football players on the board. Supply and demand impacts the draft board a lot more now than it ever has.

This yr it was 3 down ILB...the powers that be felt there were only 2 guys that could do that from day one, they both went top 10. Are they going to be top 10 players? We don't know, doubtful for off the ball defenders, but not many ILBs were taken within the top 100 players drafted.

The grading stuff is mostly about filling needs and what caliber player filled the need.
BPA will NEVER go out the window. If you have two similar players of course you take the one at a position of need. But, bad drafting teams will draft for need over talent. You can always find a player via FA if you need to fill a hole.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not necessarily. More fundamentally I value the better player over the lesser player.

Who will be the better player out of the two... ?... only time will tell.

That may have been an issue with Sweat... the extent to which it was is arguable, and I would personally hesitate from characterizing that as the only issue with him.

Sweat is a good prospect, but he is not without flaws otherwise... power being one.

Don't get me wrong, I like Sweat and would be happy to have him... but NFL teams have their own research into health concerns and are not just reading the headlines like you and I... Sweat fell even after the more positive medical report came out.

I don't buy that at all. Look at what the Raiders did at #4. Ferell? Are you serious? Over Allen who is the best edge rusher in this draft. I mean the Raiders could of passed the next Von miller or Mack for a guy who had average measurables. I know its not all about the numbers but if you look back at both careers its not even close. Sure character is important but cmon.

If your Sweat how are bringing legal action on the doctor who misdiagonised you.

Smokey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All depends om how Gary pans out. B+ if he shows up and c if he crashes. Their next 3 picks are solid. The last 3 are projects. If one make the final roster it will be a success. My money is on the ND RB.

Lots of talent in the undrafted pool. Like to see them sign a bunch pf OL and find that gem in the pile. Beau Benzschawel of Wisconsin comes to mind.

I posted my opinion on GB's current draft and how the current roster could fare on another forum site. I was suspended because I was not in lock step with the Rah Rah boys over there.

Without all the detail, I rate GB's 2019 Draft a C. If Gary does manage to gain the position skills beyond being very physical, then an upgrade would be in order. However at present Gary is a raw rookie project tat would be eaten alive by opposing teams starters.

As for passing on TEs Noah Fant and Irv Smith to select Sternburger (TE) in the 3rd round, a sharp eye will be watching Fant/Smith moving forward. TD/yardage reports can speak better than "I told you so".

IMO, GB may be a little better with the offseason FA additions, but I can't point to any personal changes that will significantly improve the team.

As a result, at this time I don't see the Packers finishing a record better than 6 -10 for the upcoming 2019 season.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't buy that at all. Look at what the Raiders did at #4. Ferell? Are you serious?
New GM wanted a "culture" pick... he prioritized character and leadership on that one... that's my take.
dp21 said:
If your Sweat how are bringing legal action on the doctor who misdiagonised you.
It's not that unusual to have different doctors come to different conclusions.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted my opinion on GB's current draft and how the current roster could fare on another forum site. I was suspended because I was not in lock step with the Rah Rah boys over there.

Without all the detail, I rate GB's 2019 Draft a C. If Gary does manage to gain the position skills beyond being very physical, then an upgrade would be in order. However at present Gary is a raw rookie project tat would be eaten alive by opposing teams starters.

As for passing on TEs Noah Fant and Irv Smith to select Sternburger (TE) in the 3rd round, a sharp eye will be watching Fant/Smith moving forward. TD/yardage reports can speak better than "I told you so".

IMO, GB may be a little better with the offseason FA additions, but I can't point to any personal changes that will significantly improve the team.

As a result, at this time I don't see the Packers finishing a record better than 6 -10 for the upcoming 2019 season.

Fant may be a better receiver but can't block worth a lick. The offense is fine. Building an A grade defense seems doable now.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not that unusual to have different doctors come to different conclusions.
Must be why doctor's call their work a practice.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
]2:46 - Greedy Williams - CB - this was pure gold. Apparently all these teams passed on him bc of his tackling was below average. Well that’s what you have linebackers and DL for. You dont find too many CB’s with this athleticism, speed and cover skills. Reminds me of Deion Sanders and Deion never really tackled his entire career. That worked out well. A 4.33 40 isnt bad.

3:80 - Sione Takitaki - LB - this was a little bit of a reach. I heard a lot of good things about this guy though. He was very good in coverage and the run, also one of the best tacklers in college football. This guy could be a stud.

4:119 - Sheldrick Redwine - S - From what I hear this guy was another athletic freak. 4.44 40 and 39 in vertical. This kid is very versatile. He will not shy away from a tackle but also disciplined in coverage. Sounds like another Randall type of player. He will add depth in case of injury and learn from veterans, will help in ST’s.

5:155 - Mack Wilson - LB - any pure gold pick from projection standpoint. Most had him going late 1st-early 2nd. Even some had him going early 3rd but still a hell of a steal. Another guy that will help making tackles. Wasnt great moving side to side but he also could play well in coverage. Think he ran around a 4.62.

5:170 - Austin Seibert - K - well they had a rookie last year in Joseph but I wouldnt exactly say he was great. He did improve. Seibert is the all-time leader in points in NCAA history. Not too bad lol.

6:189 - Drew Forbes - OT/OG - this kid played LT in college but more projected to play guard. Very fundamentally sound and was projected around the 5th. Nice pick to add depth.

7:221 - Donnie Lewis - CB - dont know much about him but he adds depth and on special teams.

I will go B. They filled their top 2 needs.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the Chiefs GM, you always have to factor in the trades so our draft is:

1st - Frank Clark*
2nd - Mecole Hardman
2nd - Juan Thornhill
3rd - Khalen Saunders
4th - Reggie Ragland*
5th - lost in a trade
6th - Rashad Fenton
6th - Darwin Thompson
7th - Nick Allegretti

I have no idea how to even begin to establish a grade at this point. Comparing Clark to the pass rush value in rd1 and I think Clark looks quite good but only because the Chiefs had the money to fork over the contract because they lost their 2 other pass rushers. Clarks production in Seattle is interesting. I'm looking at the stats and Seattle's secondary on the edge wasnt that good but at the same time a lot of the highlights I watch show Clark getting sacks because the QB has to move off his spot or hold onto the ball and Clark just has a high motor. Thats more consistent with what Justin Houston was doing and not what Dee Ford was doing. I think as long as Chris Jones is in the lineup then Frank Clark will work out for the Chiefs. The most important thing with him in the lineup is that it needs to involve other players being able to step up in run defense. Anthony Hitchens needs to be put in a position to stop the run and not get exposed in pass coverage like he was last year. Its hard to judge any of these players without seeing how they interact with each other.

Reggie Ragland looks bad right now because the Chiefs got him in a trade because the Bills didn't think he was a match in the 4-3 and the Chiefs just went to a 4-3 this offseason. Maybe he is the starter but maybe he gets cut. I have no idea.

Hardman, Thornhill and Saunders are who you want to draft. High upside players. Trading up for Hardman seems like it has to do with scheme fit and special teams prowess so the pick is only going to look good if he outperforms Campbell, Isabella, and Metcalf. I personally had him rated 3rd of those 4 WRs coming into the process so we'll see. Hardman is the best scheme fit for replacing Tyreek Hill and so thats what everyone is going to judge this draft on because its going to be a big story all year and Hardman is a 'project' player put in a position to be a starter from day 1. Thats tough.

Draft could be anywhere from an A- to a C-.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
]2:46 - Greedy Williams - CB - this was pure gold. Apparently all these teams passed on him bc of his tackling was below average. Well that’s what you have linebackers and DL for. You dont find too many CB’s with this athleticism, speed and cover skills. Reminds me of Deion Sanders and Deion never really tackled his entire career. That worked out well. A 4.33 40 isnt bad.

3:80 - Sione Takitaki - LB - this was a little bit of a reach. I heard a lot of good things about this guy though. He was very good in coverage and the run, also one of the best tacklers in college football. This guy could be a stud.

4:119 - Sheldrick Redwine - S - From what I hear this guy was another athletic freak. 4.44 40 and 39 in vertical. This kid is very versatile. He will not shy away from a tackle but also disciplined in coverage. Sounds like another Randall type of player. He will add depth in case of injury and learn from veterans, will help in ST’s.

5:155 - Mack Wilson - LB - any pure gold pick from projection standpoint. Most had him going late 1st-early 2nd. Even some had him going early 3rd but still a hell of a steal. Another guy that will help making tackles. Wasnt great moving side to side but he also could play well in coverage. Think he ran around a 4.62.

5:170 - Austin Seibert - K - well they had a rookie last year in Joseph but I wouldnt exactly say he was great. He did improve. Seibert is the all-time leader in points in NCAA history. Not too bad lol.

6:189 - Drew Forbes - OT/OG - this kid played LT in college but more projected to play guard. Very fundamentally sound and was projected around the 5th. Nice pick to add depth.

7:221 - Donnie Lewis - CB - dont know much about him but he adds depth and on special teams.

You guys have a good roster right now so this type of draft makes sense. You guys don't need to hit on all of your players so swing for the fences. Takitaki seems like the only 'safe' pick where its not based on upside and the other guys are upside projects. Sure, they might bust horribly but you might also get pro bowl players in rd2, rd4 and rd5 because you're taking the risk.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the Chiefs GM, you always have to factor in the trades so our draft is:

1st - Frank Clark*
2nd - Mecole Hardman
2nd - Juan Thornhill
3rd - Khalen Saunders
4th - Reggie Ragland*
5th - lost in a trade
6th - Rashad Fenton
6th - Darwin Thompson
7th - Nick Allegretti

I have no idea how to even begin to establish a grade at this point. Comparing Clark to the pass rush value in rd1 and I think Clark looks quite good but only because the Chiefs had the money to fork over the contract because they lost their 2 other pass rushers. Clarks production in Seattle is interesting. I'm looking at the stats and Seattle's secondary on the edge wasnt that good but at the same time a lot of the highlights I watch show Clark getting sacks because the QB has to move off his spot or hold onto the ball and Clark just has a high motor. Thats more consistent with what Justin Houston was doing and not what Dee Ford was doing. I think as long as Chris Jones is in the lineup then Frank Clark will work out for the Chiefs. The most important thing with him in the lineup is that it needs to involve other players being able to step up in run defense. Anthony Hitchens needs to be put in a position to stop the run and not get exposed in pass coverage like he was last year. Its hard to judge any of these players without seeing how they interact with each other.

Reggie Ragland looks bad right now because the Chiefs got him in a trade because the Bills didn't think he was a match in the 4-3 and the Chiefs just went to a 4-3 this offseason. Maybe he is the starter but maybe he gets cut. I have no idea.

Hardman, Thornhill and Saunders are who you want to draft. High upside players. Trading up for Hardman seems like it has to do with scheme fit and special teams prowess so the pick is only going to look good if he outperforms Campbell, Isabella, and Metcalf. I personally had him rated 3rd of those 4 WRs coming into the process so we'll see. Hardman is the best scheme fit for replacing Tyreek Hill and so thats what everyone is going to judge this draft on because its going to be a big story all year and Hardman is a 'project' player put in a position to be a starter from day 1. Thats tough.

Draft could be anywhere from an A- to a C-.

That's a good way to look at it, Frank Clark was the Chiefs #1 pick this year...

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BPA will NEVER go out the window. If you have two similar players of course you take the one at a position of need. But, bad drafting teams will draft for need over talent. You can always find a player via FA if you need to fill a hole.

You say never but the past few drafts says different.

I’m more with you than not on BPA principle, I’m not debating the strategy...just look at the drafts.

Teams are not always taking the BPA player, in fact less and less they build their board around need. If you have two good OGs, and a solid rotational guy, when you’re OTC, if the BPA on every board is OG, the team is not likely to take that player over a need.

The reality of the NFL imo.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a good way to look at it, Frank Clark was the Chiefs #1 pick this year...
Yeah, especially since the pick the Seahawks took is probably who the Chiefs would've taken the best I can tell.

I also need to factor in that Marcus Peters was traded for Armani Watts and Juan Thornhill. A lot of analysts thought the Chiefs got totally bent over on that trade last year and now we have a lot of people saying the same with the Frank Clark trade.

The only top 15 QB the Chiefs defense stopped last year was Andrew Luck. If they don't fix that then we're just wasting Mahomes.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, especially since the pick the Seahawks took is probably who the Chiefs would've taken the best I can tell.

I also need to factor in that Marcus Peters was traded for Armani Watts and Juan Thornhill. A lot of analysts thought the Chiefs got totally bent over on that trade last year and now we have a lot of people saying the same with the Frank Clark trade.

The only top 15 QB the Chiefs defense stopped last year was Andrew Luck. If they don't fix that then we're just wasting Mahomes.

Yep, gotta take advantage of that window of having Mahomes for fairly cheap also over the next several years... I can imagine his payday is gonna be a HUGE one if he keeps performing like he is...

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd go B. Atlanta doesn't have that many holes assuming our defensive guys coming off injury are back to full strength . Adding 2 offensive linemen in round one along with the 2 we signed in FA should give us good depth there. Only other real need was CB with the release of Alford and Bethel and loss of Poole so adding Sheffield and Miller will go nicely with Trufant and Oliver. Cominsky seems to be the most interesting pick at DE. The other guys seem to be special teams adds which always helps

I'm mixed on the Dimitroff/Quinn draft this season.

After FA I still expected them to draft OL fairly high, but not nearly as aggressive as they were. I thought the easy play at 14 was Brian Burns....solid 43 DE to take over after Beasley (Vic is a LB is this league). The other play I thought was Jeff Simmons, DT, Miss St.

31...trading back into the 1st rd and again leaving several starting caliber players on the board at CB and OT.

This draft probably means they will make it work long term with Jarrett.

They covered their needs so I can't knock the draft, but at the same time a lot of draft savvy fans locally are just okay with this draft.

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw an interview with a member of the Pats FO. When their pick came up there were two players there that they liked. They decided on the WR. As the second round unfolded, the other player they liked was slipping so they went up and got him. The Pats liked two guys at 32 and were able to get both. From that perspective at least it was a success. Now we’ll see if either or both of them pan out.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Considering all of this and that #17 went towards getting OBJ, I give us an A-. Williams was fantastic value, especially when we had the foresight to grab him in the 2013 draft when he was still in high school...

Takitaki, I wasn't that high on. I would've much rather seen them go after Amani Hooker there. He's a solid player, violent tackler and was extremely good against the run, though, so I am fine with it when all is said and done.

Redwine and Wilson could become starters or they could both hardly ever see the field. Either one wouldn't shock me. Wilson's 5* pedigree is still resonating with some, which is why he was projected by many to go earlier than he did. He has some work to do. Redwine, I honestly don't know much about him. As you said, he's a freak athletically, but as a player, we'll see. If he sits behind Morgan Burnett and learns, all the better.

Happy about the kicker. Any time you can firm up a position that's become more important over the past few years is good with me. Forbes and Lewis are bodies that could provide depth or be in street clothes by October, we'll see.

I was actually happy about getting Darrin Hall. I think he could be a valuable backup if/when we move Duke.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering all of this and that #17 went towards getting OBJ, I give us an A-. Williams was fantastic value, especially when we had the foresight to grab him in the 2013 draft when he was still in high school...

Takitaki, I wasn't that high on. I would've much rather seen them go after Amani Hooker there. He's a solid player, violent tackler and was extremely good against the run, though, so I am fine with it when all is said and done.

Redwine and Wilson could become starters or they could both hardly ever see the field. Either one wouldn't shock me. Wilson's 5* pedigree is still resonating with some, which is why he was projected by many to go earlier than he did. He has some work to do. Redwine, I honestly don't know much about him. As you said, he's a freak athletically, but as a player, we'll see. If he sits behind Morgan Burnett and learns, all the better.

Happy about the kicker. Any time you can firm up a position that's become more important over the past few years is good with me. Forbes and Lewis are bodies that could provide depth or be in street clothes by October, we'll see.

I was actually happy about getting Darrin Hall. I think he could be a valuable backup if/when we move Duke.

I didn't consider the OBJ trade which imo is an A+ so A- overall seems fair.

I didn't see they got Hall undrafted, could be good for depth. Hearing that Kitchens doesn't care if Duke was asking for a trade, he is a Brown. So looks like they will utilize in the offense especially with Hunt out those first 8 games.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not happy with the Chiefs. Traded two draft picks for another domestic violence player. And they signed another Georgia player.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm mixed on the Dimitroff/Quinn draft this season.

After FA I still expected them to draft OL fairly high, but not nearly as aggressive as they were. I thought the easy play at 14 was Brian Burns....solid 43 DE to take over after Beasley (Vic is a LB is this league). The other play I thought was Jeff Simmons, DT, Miss St.

31...trading back into the 1st rd and again leaving several starting caliber players on the board at CB and OT.

This draft probably means they will make it work long term with Jarrett.

They covered their needs so I can't knock the draft, but at the same time a lot of draft savvy fans locally are just okay with this draft.
Yeah it's not exciting so tough for people to be more than ok but I think , for this year , it was probably the way to go