• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Grade Our Draft Picks

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Allow me to piggyback that we also need to stop throwing top 100 picks away to move up in drafts. We did it with Claiborne, Lawrence, we nearly did it with Lynch again this year. We aren't in position to be doing this nearly every year. We need every damn dart we can get to throw at the draft. We have been fortunate to pluck some UDFA's to cover for some of our shortcomings in the draft. That goes to show we have good evaluators, just need to limit the boneheaded/desperate decision making.
Disagree. I think you need to look at each case individually. You don't trade up just to trade up, but if you see a guy there that you feel is an absolute steal and you have reason to think he won't be there otherwise, you go get him. There is no standard theory on trading or not trading that holds water. Lawrence looks like a good move sans the suspension. Didn't we trade up for Dez? We loved Max Unger and wanted to trade up for him but didn't and that left a mark. So it works both ways. I think there is a time and a place to trade, but think in general you sit back and make your picks.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I feel it could be better yet with those extra picks. Could've been the difference between beating GB in the playoffs and not. Our evaluators and scouts have done a great job and if we hadn't traded for Claiborne, we likely have Bobby Wagner on our team and who knows what else with that first pick. Coulda woulda shoulda.
Claiborne was drafted to play press man in Ryan's attacking scheme. We might not have drafted Mo if we'd had already switched to Rods Tampa 2 we might not have made the trade, but at the time, it was the right call

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. I think you need to look at each case individually. You don't trade up just to trade up, but if you see a guy there that you feel is an absolute steal and you have reason to think he won't be there otherwise, you go get him. There is no standard theory on trading or not trading that holds water. Lawrence looks like a good move sans the suspension. Didn't we trade up for Dez? We loved Max Unger and wanted to trade up for him but didn't and that left a mark. So it works both ways. I think there is a time and a place to trade, but think in general you sit back and make your picks.
And that is why I said in my post don't give away top 100 picks. You want to move up a few spots in the second round and burn a 4th rounder, sure go ahead. When we move up early and give away high picks it reeks of desperation. I wouldn't lump the Dez trade in this category because we didn't give up a pick, just moved one down a round. Sure you can sit at a point of view and say when it works fine it was the right move. But when its the wrong move, it sets the team back and is an unnecessary risk.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Claiborne was drafted to play press man in Ryan's attacking scheme. We might not have drafted Mo if we'd had already switched to Rods Tampa 2 we might not have made the trade, but at the time, it was the right call
I don't agree with that. Mo was not the only corner in that draft that could press. Many were high on Gilmore and Kirkpatrick. It was said Mo had the best ball skills, not that he was the best press corner. Possible that had we sat at 15, Gilmore could have dropped to us like Dre did. Dre and Mo have accomplished about the same thing so far in the NFL, while Gilmore has fared a bit better. Even if we got the better player out of the corners, it still hurts to have nothing to show for a middle second rounder.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree with that. Mo was not the only corner in that draft that could press. Many were high on Gilmore and Kirkpatrick. It was said Mo had the best ball skills, not that he was the best press corner. Possible that had we sat at 15, Gilmore could have dropped to us like Dre did. Dre and Mo have accomplished about the same thing so far in the NFL, while Gilmore has fared a bit better. Even if we got the better player out of the corners, it still hurts to have nothing to show for a middle second rounder.
What if we hadn't made the trade, and Mo got in the right scheme and became Richard Sherman? It's always simple in hindsight

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if we hadn't made the trade, and Mo got in the right scheme and became Richard Sherman? It's always simple in hindsight
He's played in each scheme and whether it be predominantly zone or man, he has not lived up to his billing. But neither have the other two corners I mentioned from that same draft. Hindsight 20/20 on the player is always easy, but the foresight on how losing the 45th pick in the draft should have been seen almost as clear. Its risk management, and too often we unnecessarily put ourselves out on the ledge.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We needed a corner bad. When I first heard we traded up (thought it was for Barron) I was torn. Wasn't really in favor of trading up for Mo, but I wasn't really against it either. When I read the team felt he was the best defensive player in the draft and the best CB prospect since Deion I was totally fine with the move. Turned out he wasn't that at all. But the trade was still an OK move because it was based on the idea of him being that player. It was the scouting report that failed and should be blamed. Sometimes you swing and miss, but sometimes you swing and miss staying put too.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some really good Dallas players were afterthoughts in a way 5 quick examples Roger Navy commitment larry brown 12th round
Everson Walls not drafted chad hennings air force commitment and probably the 2nd best undrafted qb to play the game Romo who might not have even got a shot if Carter had not decided that smoking dope was more important than playing football

The Draft is on its best day a calculated risk wager at a Vegas Table and the odds are better in vegas than drafting a player

I have no qualms about drafting player X by the Cowboys but like every fan I like to think I can pick with the best of the pro's :)
Zack Sanchez to the Panthers and Tyler Matakevich to the steelers are my 2 told you so guys

as Parcells said we all have our pet cats

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We needed a corner bad. When I first heard we traded up (thought it was for Barron) I was torn. Wasn't really in favor of trading up for Mo, but I wasn't really against it either. When I read the team felt he was the best defensive player in the draft and the best CB prospect since Deion I was totally fine with the move. Turned out he wasn't that at all. But the trade was still an OK move because it was based on the idea of him being that player. It was the scouting report that failed and should be blamed. Sometimes you swing and miss, but sometimes you swing and miss staying put too.
I think all that BS about him being the next Deion was them (Jerrah) trying to justify making a need pick. And once Jerrah saw the player fall to 6, he made his move. Funny how no one else - anonymous scout, draft person, TV guru, etc said anything about comparing him to Sanders. I was shocked as hell when we traded, a little excited but with a bit of remorse once I saw our 2nd rounder was gone. That trade was one that no one saw coming. Mo sure was lauded for his ball skills though, and everyone was in agreement that he was top CB.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think all that BS about him being the next Deion was them (Jerrah) trying to justify making a need pick. And once Jerrah saw the player fall to 6, he made his move. Funny how no one else - anonymous scout, draft person, TV guru, etc said anything about comparing him to Sanders. I was shocked as hell when we traded, a little excited but with a bit of remorse once I saw our 2nd rounder was gone. That trade was one that no one saw coming. Mo sure was lauded for his ball skills though, and everyone was in agreement that he was top CB.
Totally Agree. I actually almost added that to my comment as a clarifier because I thought from day one it sounded that way. Just like I don't believe for one second that there was a consensus in the Cowboy war room that Elliott was the better pick than Ramsey. But, who knows.

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've drafted as well or better than any team in the NFL the last 5-6 years. Just saying...
This is not true. Not even close to true. This is exactly what I was talking about in my post about our draft. Too many of us have overrated our recent drafts. They are getting better, but not quite there yet.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not true. Not even close to true. This is exactly what I was talking about in my post about our draft. Too many of us have overrated our recent drafts.
Pick 5 teams and lets break them down. I want to see all these teams we aren't close to

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pick 5 teams and lets break them down. I want to see all these teams we aren't close to
Start with Seattle and also compare their playoff success to ours.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where would you like to begin? We have 5 Super Bowls to their 1. If you go in the Jerry Jones era, we have 3 to their 1. If we go off just the draft the last 6 years, our top 5 guys would be Tyron Smith, Travis Fredrick, Zach Martin, Dez Bryant, DeMarco Murray, Sean Lee, and Byron Jones. This year, I believe we have drafted the NFC offensive player of the year in Zeke Elliott(time will tell). Show me the 8 players Seattle has drafted in the last 6 years that blow that group away. 8 to 8, lets see it. Then go get me 4 more teams, which will only bump us from the top 5

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now while I think Earl is going a little hard on the drafts, Dallas is not at the too of drafting players, I'd say their close to middle of the pack.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where would you like to begin? We have 5 Super Bowls to their 1. If you go in the Jerry Jones era, we have 3 to their 1. If we go off just the draft the last 6 years, our top 5 guys would be Tyron Smith, Travis Fredrick, Zach Martin, Dez Bryant, DeMarco Murray, Sean Lee, and Byron Jones. This year, I believe we have drafted the NFC offensive player of the year in Zeke Elliott(time will tell). Show me the 8 players Seattle has drafted in the last 6 years that blow that group away. 8 to 8, lets see it. Then go get me 4 more teams, which will only bump us from the top 5
Last Super Bowl is two decades old, and I'm pretty sure Earl is talking recent drafts within the last 5 drafts.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last Super Bowl is two decades old, and I'm pretty sure Earl is talking recent drafts within the last 5 drafts.
Fair enough, I listed players from the last 6 drafts for Dallas, not counting this season, which I feel is another good group for us. I think that's a comparable group to any other teams top 7-8 players the last several years. Earl said we weren't even close to the top, so I'd like to see 10 teams(or even 5) who have done better. Post the players and I will be happy to admit if I'm proven wrong. If it's Super Bowl success, they lead us 1-0, big whoop....

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just went through the Seahawks last 6 drafts before this year. From 2010-2012, the landed 6 studs, but please list the 5 best players the Seahawks have drafted since then....it's comical

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with UK on this one. I think Dallas might be the best drafting team over the last 5 years and if it comes to just the 1st round they have been the best by far. You want to at least get a starter in the first round but Dallas has been nabbing All Pro players. Dez, T. Smith, Z. Martin, Frerickson is pretty awesome. It sure beats Marcus Smith, Danny Watkins and Nelson Agholor. What's really sad is I had to just go google Agholors name cause I couldnt even remember the name of last years first round pick.

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now while I think Earl is going a little hard on the drafts, Dallas is not at the too of drafting players, I'd say their close to middle of the pack.
I don't think I'm being hard on the drafts. I'm actually being generous. I've liked our draft picks in recent memory a lot more than in the Wade years, but at the end of the day, it hasn't translated to much playoff success. I'm not saying I want SB now, but I would like to see better than one playoff win or berth every four or five years. The Cowboys have lacked consistency. We had more consistency in the Bill Parcells era and he didn't even have a QB nearly as good as Romo during most of his tenure here. We've had Romo for the past 10 years and all we have is two playoff wins to show for it. A QB as good as Romo should have at least five playoff wins now. In a very weak division, we should have been almost as big of a lock to make the playoffs every year like the Pats. We've had arguably the best QB in the division for the past decade and we've been in the playoffs only four times. Some of the reason is on Romo, but most of it is an organizational issue.