• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Goodell in a pickle?????

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Browns "incorrectly interpret" a rule, who gives a shit??? If the Patriots do it, it's cheating. That's the problem with success. If you do something wrong it's a horrible crime. If you're John Elway and you might be able to beat the Patriots, then we'll overlook the fact that you exceeded the salary cap by $XXXM. No else cares because "we" have to take down the Patriots.

The Patriots have been in the AFC Championship Game for the past 6 years, winning 4. Denver has won the other 2. The league and 95% of fans in this country just want to see someone else playing this game and the Super Bowl.

Goodell wants to see the Patriots slide into mediocrity but he's pretty much done what he can and has looked like a fool in many instances. With Brady reaching 40 and many teams starting to hit rebuilding mode and making improvements, the day will come where someone will take the top spot away. I just don't think it'll be in 2017.

Not sure what Browns incident you are talking about, nor am I certain what cap violation the Donks had. But this post is a great example of what I meant when I said "People need to stop acting like it was such an egregious offense and some need to stop acting as if the Pats are innocent of this stuff".

The Pats put themselves in this spot not the Browns or the DOnks.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is due to them being caught that's it!

All teams cheat but it's in varying degrees so it boils down to the severity of the infraction and whether or not you get caught.

Woody tampered with Revis on National television.
There was no punishment. Zero.
If Kraft had said I would love to have player XXX while player XXX was still under contract with the Jets it would have been a completely different situation. Everybody knows it.
Ideal gas law was contrived, not caught. Everybody with any sense knows it.
It is not all about getting caught.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what Browns incident you are talking about, nor am I certain what cap violation the Donks had. But this post is a great example of what I meant when I said "People need to stop acting like it was such an egregious offense and some need to stop acting as if the Pats are innocent of this stuff".

The Pats put themselves in this spot not the Browns or the DOnks.

Denver has a history of repeated salary cap violations.

Some teams are guilty and get nothing.
Some teams are guilty and get mild punishment.
Some teams are guilty and get harsher punishment.
Pats are in the latter group. And when they continued being successful, the ideal gas law sting was instituted.

That was the egregious offense.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just let me know when Goodell strips the Patriots of their Super Bowl XXXIX win and hands it over to the Eagles.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woody tampered with Revis on National television.
There was no punishment. Zero.
If Kraft had said I would love to have player XXX while player XXX was still under contract with the Jets it would have been a completely different situation. Everybody knows it.
Ideal gas law was contrived, not caught. Everybody with any sense knows it.
It is not all about getting caught.

That is complete speculation, the man was asked a question and he answered it. Don't do that don't throw out assumptions as if they are facts.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver has a history of repeated salary cap violations.

Some teams are guilty and get nothing.
Some teams are guilty and get mild punishment.
Some teams are guilty and get harsher punishment.
Pats are in the latter group. And when they continued being successful, the ideal gas law sting was instituted.

That was the egregious offense.
Well I remember a few in the 80s 90s for which they were fined and I think they lost a third round pick. I mean if we are talking completely different commissioners I really do not understand how it's relevant

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I remember a few in the 80s 90s for which they were fined and I think they lost a third round pick. I mean if we are talking completely different commissioners I really do not understand how it's relevant

You are the first one to actually get it correct here. They were fined heavily and had a draft pick taken away. One of the bigger fines of the time actually.

And the salary cap issues are way overblown by people. Essentially what happened was the Broncos were in the middle of trying to pay for their stadium. Money was tight so they asked a couple of the bigger contract players if payment to them could be delayed a bit. So instead of getting the money week 1 they would get it week 10. Still counted the same against the cap either way but helped them to have better cash flow to help with the stadium.

Also a big difference in this type of situation is that the Broncos fired the people who were involved and thought this was ok. There was no slap on the wrist and apologize for the incident it was you are fired from the staff. Also as Pats fans have said here that the league decided the video taping gave them no competitive advantage the league did the same with the cap violations. There was no actual advantage gained by the team.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are the first one to actually get it correct here. They were fined heavily and had a draft pick taken away. One of the bigger fines of the time actually.

And the salary cap issues are way overblown by people. Essentially what happened was the Broncos were in the middle of trying to pay for their stadium. Money was tight so they asked a couple of the bigger contract players if payment to them could be delayed a bit. So instead of getting the money week 1 they would get it week 10. Still counted the same against the cap either way but helped them to have better cash flow to help with the stadium.

Also a big difference in this type of situation is that the Broncos fired the people who were involved and thought this was ok. There was no slap on the wrist and apologize for the incident it was you are fired from the staff. Also as Pats fans have said here that the league decided the video taping gave them no competitive advantage the league did the same with the cap violations. There was no actual advantage gained by the team.

Yeah it was not IMO a good comparison. Also didn't they lose two picks two thirds years apart?

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Patriots have been in the AFC Championship Game for the past 6 years, winning 4. Denver has won the other 2. The league and 95% of fans in this country just want to see someone else playing this game and the Super Bowl.

Pats have been in the AFCCG the past 6 years winning three. Denver won two and Baltimore won one.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is complete speculation, the man was asked a question and he answered it. Don't do that don't throw out assumptions as if they are facts.

“I’d love to have Darrelle Revis back,”

Woody Johnson said this while Revis was still under contract with the New England Patriots. I did not speculate this.
Any public or private statement of interest, qualified or unqualified, in another club’s player or that player’s agent or representative, or to a member of the news media, is a violation of this Anti-Tampering Policy.
Nor did I speculate that this is what the rule against tampering states.

You are correct that I did speculate that the punishment for Kraft and friends would be much harsher than what was handed down to good ole Woody.
I also speculate that it would also be much harsher than the punishment that was handed down under the ideal gas law fiasco.
Because, as we all know, it would.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So...Every team gets a clean slate whenever the commissioner changes???

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“I’d love to have Darrelle Revis back,”
Woody Johnson said this while Revis was still under contract with the New England Patriots. I did not speculate this.
Any public or private statement of interest, qualified or unqualified, in another club’s player or that player’s agent or representative, or to a member of the news media, is a violation of this Anti-Tampering Policy.
Nor did I speculate that this is what the rule against tampering states.

You are correct that I did speculate that the punishment for Kraft and friends would be much harsher than what was handed down to good ole Woody.
I also speculate that it would also be much harsher than the punishment that was handed down under the ideal gas law fiasco.
Because, as we all know, it would.

So let's get this straight an owner is asked if he would like a player back he responds in the affirmative and you want to correlate that to tampering. You present this as if Woody called Revis and his agent and said, " Hey screw the Pats we want you back, what will it take" That sir would be tampering not answering a question.

No we don't all know what the punishments would be, but if you want to live in some speculative reality because it suits the purposes of a debate there isn't really much sense in my continuing with that facet of the conversation.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So...Every team gets a clean slate whenever the commissioner changes???

Broncos haven't really done anything since then though so at this point nothing to compare if they add on to that or if at this point they have decided that is far enough in the past with all the people involved with that gone from the team other than the Owner but in reality he isn't the owner of the team right now because of his disease.

And I think with the Pats unfortunately it is kind of like dirty players in the league. One time ok no big deal. 2nd time people start looking a little closer. 3rd time and well now you have a reputation when it is done in such a short period of time. So then even just a whiff of cheating involved and boom full on media craziness over even the smallest issue.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To use my son's favorite comment....Wait, what?

So they circumvented the salary cap, allowing them to get or retain players that may have played somewhere else if not paid the higher rate, yet they gained no competitive advantage?????

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To use my son's favorite comment....Wait, what?

So they circumvented the salary cap, allowing them to get or retain players that may have played somewhere else if not paid the higher rate, yet they gained no competitive advantage?????
You do realize they were punished for this? I think they lost $950K and two third round picks. They did not go unpunished.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broncos haven't really done anything since then though so at this point nothing to compare if they add on to that or if at this point they have decided that is far enough in the past with all the people involved with that gone from the team other than the Owner but in reality he isn't the owner of the team right now because of his disease.

And I think with the Pats unfortunately it is kind of like dirty players in the league. One time ok no big deal. 2nd time people start looking a little closer. 3rd time and well now you have a reputation when it is done in such a short period of time. So then even just a whiff of cheating involved and boom full on media craziness over even the smallest issue.

So the Pats had the whole video taping from the wrong location.
Explain to me what the second and third were?

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize they were punished for this? I think they lost $950K and two third round picks. They did not go unpunished.
Yes.
cdumler7 seems to think there is no competitive advantage to skirting salary cap rules.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes.
cdumler7 seems to think there is no competitive advantage to skirting salary cap rules.
Meh those guys were already on the roster and under contract they sort of illegally renegotiated their contracts the pay them on the back end while funding the new stadium. pretty sure they would have been there anyway. Point is the they screwed the pooch and paid the cost.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mehh it's all moot at this point let's just hope on Nov 12 we can go steal one in Denver they and Giants always are capable of beating the Pats.