• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Goldson re-signs with 49ers

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well we definitely had the cap room...I seriously wonder if they are thinking of switching back Reggie Smith to CB. The depth of the safeties we have is insane. Even if we trade Taylor Mays.

We have quantity at safety, but I don't think we have that much quality at safety.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The cherry topper for me was reading he ADDED weight in the off-season. Good lord man talk about not having a clue.

I know this is delayed, but I remember reading that Mays was on an extremely regulated diet while in college. Apparently USC believed that without it, Mays had the frame to balloon to 260+ lbs.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am really hoping Willis is sent in a lot more than he has been. I understand hes been our better all around LB and needed for coverage, but i would love to see willis rack up some more sack numbers and punishing the opposing qb's. I feel Bowman can handle himself in coverage.

That's one thing Bowman can do, is cover the holes left by a blitzing Willis.

Bowman himself can get to the QB(although as a 43 LB though) on some plays.

If anything there's versatility with our ILB.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know this is delayed, but I remember reading that Mays was on an extremely regulated diet while in college. Apparently USC believed that without it, Mays had the frame to balloon to 260+ lbs.

You're absolutely right. While at USC, Mays was on a very strict regimen (diet, sleep, exercise).

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You're absolutely right. While at USC, Mays was on a very strict regimen (diet, sleep, exercise).

What about that stuff Brian Cushing was taking was that part of the "diet"? LOL. :-) Oh I forgot superior athelete's bodies just naturally produce 10x higher testosterone levels.

Why don't we switch Mays to LB and let him put on 20 pounds? He's already increased his weight to 234. Why try to fit a square into a round hole?
Mays has 3 years left on his rookie contract so the coaching staff has time to mold him into something to make use of his freakish athletic abilities.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just like to see Mays lay out someone on the field.... a nice, good, clean shot.... I just want to see pain out there lol

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I just like to see Mays lay out someone on the field.... a nice, good, clean shot.... I just want to see pain out there lol

Line him up as the gunner on special teams. You might get your wish. :-)

Seriously maybe the guy is not the right fit for safety but I just cannot envision how you don't keep this guy on a 54-man roster and have him contribute somehow? He's strong, fast, loves contact, and I think he has enough agility for positions outside of the secondary.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What about that stuff Brian Cushing was taking was that part of the "diet"? LOL. :-) Oh I forgot superior athelete's bodies just naturally produce 10x higher testosterone levels.

Why don't we switch Mays to LB and let him put on 20 pounds? He's already increased his weight to 234. Why try to fit a square into a round hole?
Mays has 3 years left on his rookie contract so the coaching staff has time to mold him into something to make use of his freakish athletic abilities.

Ahh yes, Freakish Athletic Abilities, attributing those qualities to Mays was an injustice perpetrated by Pete Carroll and perpetuated by the media. The truth is, Mays does not have Freakish Athletic Abilities, he has "A" [one] Freakish Athletic Ability.

Furthermore, and just to add some critical perspective, Freakish Athletic Ability is not synonymous with Freakish Football Ability and Freakish College Football Ability does not always translate to Freakish NFL Football Ability.

As for putting Mays at LB, no matter where you put Taylor Mays on defense he remains a liability in coverage, in open-space and in other ways.

I mentioned this in another thread, if I HAD to do something with Mays, I would try to convert him to a TE or an H-Back. IMO, doing this would take batter advantage of both his size and straight-line speed. Of course, the questions there become, can he block and catch.

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I completely agree. his lack of instincts may still be an issue, but nothing like having to play safety. didn't urlacher play safety in college? the switch seemed to work for him...why not give it a try? what do we have to lose?

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ahh yes, Freakish Athletic Abilities, attributing those qualities to Mays was an injustice perpetrated by Pete Carroll and perpetuated by the media. The truth is, Mays does not have Freakish Athletic Abilities, he has "A" [one] Freakish Athletic Ability.

Furthermore, and just to add some critical perspective, Freakish Athletic Ability is not synonymous with Freakish Football Ability and Freakish College Football Ability does not always translate to Freakish NFL Football Ability.

As for putting Mays at LB, no matter where you put Taylor Mays on defense he remains a liability in coverage, in open-space and in other ways.

I mentioned this in another thread, if I HAD to do something with Mays, I would try to convert him to a TE or an H-Back. IMO, doing this would take batter advantage of both his size and straight-line speed. Of course, the questions there become, can he block and catch.

Let's look at short shuttle times:

Derrelle Revis: 4.08s
Eric Berry: 4.23s
Taylor Mays: 4.24s
Patrick Willis: 4.37s

Mays is really not that bad. It's probably just not good enough for the free safety or cornerback position. Combine that with not knowing the position or how to read the offense and coverages and you see the result.

If you watch Mays'es college film he's always there on the deep passes but he's a step late probably because of a bad read.

Don't underestimate how strong Mays is either. The dude is strong.

I will go out on a limb and guarantee it Mays will be on the roster. Too much raw talent not to be.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Let's look at short shuttle times:

Derrelle Revis: 4.08s
Eric Berry: 4.23s
Taylor Mays: 4.24s
Patrick Willis: 4.37s

Mays is really not that bad. It's probably just not good enough for the free safety or cornerback position. Combine that with not knowing the position or how to read the offense and coverages and you see the result.

If you watch Mays'es college film he's always there on the deep passes but he's a step late probably because of a bad read.

Don't underestimate how strong Mays is either. The dude is strong.

I will go out on a limb and guarantee it Mays will be on the roster. Too much raw talent not to be.

Great post, but I want you to notice what you are highlighting. Once again, it is Mays' speed and quickness. More importantly, notice what his opponent is in this drill, his opponent is not 11 moving objects, it is a stationary stopwatch. Taylor Mays can be pretty hard on a stationary stopwatch.

I have studied every available highlight and lowlight video there is of Taylor Mays and I know he is strong and fast; and, if he can help us win games then get him on the field.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He's got to at least be a lock on special teams.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im with you calamity, i dont see how we can just give up on him after one whole year and a lockout shortened season when none of the db's played exceptionally well last year as it is. And singletary's plain and conservative game plan when the defense was out there wasnt the best either. With more pressure and blitzing, just like the rest of the db's he wont need to cover for way longer than needed unlike last season.

Its a tough situation, I would hate it if they gave up on mays, but Spillman had played pretty well on special teams and the way they speak of jones makes it seem like he is strictly special teams. I say keep him tho, just my two cents.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll tell you how, he's awful. He's a flat out liabilty in coverage, get him moving sideways and it's game over. If I'm QBing then I'm throwing to his guy EVERY play.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think everyone is over thinking this taylor Mays thing. It all boils down to one thing. There is a new coaching regime and they would prefer using "their" guys. With the influx of Safeties signed as either FA or UDFA, it is clear that the coaching staff is not convinced that Mays can fit the system they are tying to impliment.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what system a safety who can't cover fits.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what system a safety who can't cover fits.

I understand, but did he really do so bad last year? Were goldson or smith really that much better than him last year? No doubt he isnt a starter right now but i didnt see much of goldson or smith standing out in coverage either.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think everyone is over thinking this taylor Mays thing. It all boils down to one thing. There is a new coaching regime and they would prefer using "their" guys. With the influx of Safeties signed as either FA or UDFA, it is clear that the coaching staff is not convinced that Mays can fit the system they are tying to impliment.

Good point here, or they could be seeing if it lights a fire under him. Guess we will se what happens.