• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Goldson re-signs with 49ers

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps they invision him as the 1st safety off the bench, or a nickleback type role, special teams etc? That could make sense.

Kind of hard seeing Goldson wanting to come back to take a backup role. He could of gone somewhere to be a starter im sure. At 2 million, i like the deal and the competition in camp will only do good things for us.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of hard seeing Goldson wanting to come back to take a backup role. He could of gone somewhere to be a starter im sure. At 2 million, i like the deal and the competition in camp will only do good things for us.

I wonder if he'll come in as a SS rather than FS?

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We're already paying our new SS ~4 mil a year. He'd be coming back as a FS.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This tells me the Reggie Smith injury is bad. So Goldson is back as the starting FS.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whitner and Gold back there would be great. I disagree with some posters, this is the best secondary we have had in a long ass time

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goldson is starting at FS and Whitner at SS, might be the best safetys we have had in a long time

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Great move!

Don't forget this also keeps Goldson off the Cardinals roster. Adrian Wilson tore some muscle near his elbow he's going to try to play with it torn all year long, good luck with that! Reminds me of Ken Norton Jr. with that messed up bicep.

Also Reggie Smith is in a contract year as well so let the competition between Goldson and Reggie begin for the FS position, then we can resign whoever plays better to an extension.

I still want Mays backing up Whitner at SS. Might be a perfect spot for Mays to learn and also play special teams.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Whitner and Gold back there would be great. I disagree with some posters, this is the best secondary we have had in a long ass time

This may be true when compared to some of our previous secondary's, but when compared to the rest of the league, how much improvement do you see us making this year over last year in pass defense?

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This may be true when compared to some of our previous secondary's, but when compared to the rest of the league, how much improvement do you see us making this year over last year in pass defense?

The improvement really depends on how Whitner and Rogers play.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still worried about the other CB spot. Spencer or ? need to step up and step up big time.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Great move!
Don't forget this also keeps Goldson off the Cardinals roster. [/B] Adrian Wilson tore some muscle near his elbow he's going to try to play with it torn all year long, good luck with that! Reminds me of Ken Norton Jr. with that messed up bicep.

Also Reggie Smith is in a contract year as well so let the competition between Goldson and Reggie begin for the FS position, then we can resign whoever plays better to an extension.

I still want Mays backing up Whitner at SS. Might be a perfect spot for Mays to learn and also play special teams.

That was my initial impression of this move. It was a defensive (no pun intended) move.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Rogers and Spencer as our CBs.... shouldn't see too much problem with that.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Ahhh, see I go the other way, I think the improvement depends on how well both Spencer and Goldson play. I'm not worried about the two guys you mentioned.

We also cannot forget we lost both Spikes & Lawson and are replacing them with a guy who has never played the position of OLB and another who was not Spikes' equal in coverage, at least not last year.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it. Goldson has less question marks. If he plays like he did a couple years ago we will be fine. Rogers is a better coverage that clements in my opinion. and if we have one corner that can step it up. Brown. Brock, Spencer, Adams, ? I think we will be okay

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

It will depend heavily on how much pressure Aldon Smith can consistently generate on a down to down basis. McDonald can hopefully be an x factor. Maybe the fresh OLB rotation strategy will be more effective against RT's this year because the LT's totally shot them down last year.

My biggest question is how much the DB upgrade allows Fangio to scheme pass rush too.

I'm expecting big volatility out of the defense this year, especially the first half of the season.

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahhh, see I go the other way, I think the improvement depends on how well both Spencer and Goldson play. I'm not worried about the two guys you mentioned.

We also cannot forget we lost both Spikes & Lawson and are replacing them with a guy who has never played the position of OLB and another who was not Spikes' equal in coverage, at least not last year.

I'm not worried. Aldon's job is to get to the QB, and from what I've seen, he's going to. I'm more interested in seeing how Bowman does at ILB.