• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Goldson re-signs with 49ers

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It will depend heavily on how much pressure Aldon Smith can consistently generate on a down to down basis. McDonald can hopefully be an x factor. Maybe the fresh OLB rotation strategy will be more effective against RT's this year because the LT's totally shot them down last year.

My biggest question is how much the DB upgrade allows Fangio to scheme pass rush too.

I'm expecting big volatility out of the defense this year, especially the first half of the season.

Excellent point, Storm. Our pass rush is expected to improve over last year which, of course, translates to an improved pass defense.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not worried. Aldon's job is to get to the QB, and from what I've seen, he's going to. I'm more interested in seeing how Bowman does at ILB.

Yeah, Bowman is a big ? this year. If he plays big our defense can be good. If he's bad, he'll get exposed continuously - especially with a lighter line in front of him, and added coverage responsibility with Lawson gone.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in the "a better pass rush makes a better secondary camp." If our Pass rush meets expectations then our secondary should be strong as long as a certain FS doesn't bite the fakes!

I wonder what Fanigo plans to do with Willis and Bowman. Will Willis be sent in on more blitzes or will it be Bowman? With the loss of Spikes, we lost valued leadership and experience in the middle so it will be an adjustment for Bowman. But Bowman does have speed and athleticism that Spikes did not have anymore.

I am worried that we have no coverage OLB and that my friend may crush us.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm in the "a better pass rush makes a better secondary camp." If our Pass rush meets expectations then our secondary should be strong as long as a certain FS doesn't bite the fakes!

I wonder what Fanigo plans to do with Willis and Bowman. Will Willis be sent in on more blitzes or will it be Bowman? With the loss of Spikes, we lost valued leadership and experience in the middle so it will be an adjustment for Bowman. But Bowman does have speed and athleticism that Spikes did not have anymore.

I am worried that we have no coverage OLB and that my friend may crush us.

Taylor Mays could be our coverage OLB for 3rd and long. I'm being serious.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wonder what Fanigo plans to do with Willis and Bowman. Will Willis be sent in on more blitzes or will it be Bowman? With the loss of Spikes, we lost valued leadership and experience in the middle so it will be an adjustment for Bowman. But Bowman does have speed and athleticism that Spikes did not have anymore.I am worried that we have no coverage OLB and that my friend may crush us.

I am really hoping Willis is sent in a lot more than he has been. I understand hes been our better all around LB and needed for coverage, but i would love to see willis rack up some more sack numbers and punishing the opposing qb's. I feel Bowman can handle himself in coverage.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I am really hoping Willis is sent in a lot more than he has been. I understand hes been our better all around LB and needed for coverage, but i would love to see willis rack up some more sack numbers and punishing the opposing qb's. I feel Bowman can handle himself in coverage.

I know the schemes are quite different, but Bowman was noted for his coverage abilities in college. He somehow got a bad rap for it leading up to the draft, but in fact, the program claimed he was one of the best LBs in coverage the PSU staff had ever coached.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
surprising. Like everyone else I'm really wondering what it means about Smith now.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Taylor Mays could be our coverage OLB for 3rd and long. I'm being serious.

For third and short and third and medium, it could actually work in theory, but...

Third and long the problem is we go with four defensive lineman with our edge rushers at DE. Then we traditionally have Willis with another ILB roaming the middle.

The question is what does Mays really give you in that ILB role position that Bowman doesn't?

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know the schemes are quite different, but Bowman was noted for his coverage abilities in college. He somehow got a bad rap for it leading up to the draft, but in fact, the program claimed he was one of the best LBs in coverage the PSU staff had ever coached.

Physically no doubt he is able to do it. He fits best as a 4-3 OLB in that regard.

Mentally is where he was getting toasted play after play last year. Dude didn't seem to know what the heck his assignment was on any given play, and it ended him up on the bench. I am hoping that stemmed from complete inept coaching.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Badger fan and watching a lot of Big Ten football, Bowman will be a damn good LB

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
wow surprising. thought he was definitely gone. thats good he's back. have some decent depth there now.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Maniax, I know you, adamchristie and perhaps a few others have always been firmly in Mays' corner and I applaud your devotion. Here is an article that sums up nicely what the regulars on this and the 'other' board have been saying about Taylor Mays for over 8 months.

Mays Is An Incredibly Nice Guy - But Unfortunately The Kid Just Cant Cover

That's a good article. I definitely am in Mays'es corner. Mays is a good special teams player. The effort is there. I joked in a different thread that Mays should try yoga and I actually just read that he is doing yoga. :-)

I do not think he should be our starting FS or SS this year. But a guy with his talent and speed and size should be on the team and we should be able to utilize his freakish abilities somehow on the team.

Cutting him would be a waste. Have him play special teams, maybe some backup SS and backup linebacker.

Don't give up the guy after 1 season and an extended lockout period.

Mays'es contract isn't even that expensive he's due $800K this year.
In comparsion the Jets hung onto Vernon Gholston through his rookie contract and that dude was taking them to the bank. But that's what they should have done because you never know maybe one year all of a sudden the player will "get it" and then the freakish physical talent will get put to good use.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there is one guy I wouldn't want covering on third and long it would be Mays.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Now if you can trade him for a player of equal value that you need, or a 3rd round draft pick, then I'm ok with that.

But trading him for a 6th or 7th round draft pick or cutting him is just too premature in my opinion. He's signed through 2013 probably around $800K to $1M a year or so. Let him play out that contract.

Is CJ Spillman or Madieu Williams really better than keeping Mays as a 4th or 5th safety?
Your 4th and 5th guys should have high potential I just don't see it in those other safeties, to me they just have average to below average physical skills.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is CJ Spillman or Madieu Williams really better than keeping Mays as a 4th or 5th safety?

Yes because they can cover. A safety that can't cover is a special teams player. You can get those guys off the street.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If there is one guy I wouldn't want covering on third and long it would be Mays.

I would be ok with him covering a TE. Watch this clip from college, this is a good clip showing how Mays can be effective near the line. Jahvid Best is a jackrabbit but Mays stopped him from getting around the corner.

How many safeties/linebackers out there on 3rd and 1 can catch Jahvid Best trying to turn the corner? Not many.

‪Taylor Mays running down Jahvid Best on 3rd and 1‬‏ - YouTube

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
And if you watch the clip closely Jahvid got the ball on a pitch and he got it cleanly but Mays still ran him down on the edge. The other USC players were already taking downfield angles.

bing_blunt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Again, the knock on Mays is he lacks fluidity to change directions.

That play demonstrates he can run in a straight line with the best of them.