• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Goldson re-signs with 49ers

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand, but did he really do so bad last year? Were goldson or smith really that much better than him last year? No doubt he isnt a starter right now but i didnt see much of goldson or smith standing out in coverage either.

He did do really bad, that is why he got pulled out of the lineup. I forget the success rate throwing against him, it was very good. You gotta realize there is a reason he is practicing with the threes at camp. I saw today how awful he is at trying to cover.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So in the division we have two other safeties who are basically the same size as Mays.

Adrian Wilson and Kam Chancellor (Seahawks). Physicallly Adrian Wilson is pretty equivalent to Mays. Kam Chancellor is less of an athlete. All of them are around 6'3" 230.

How do the Cardinals and Seahawks use these guys so they don't get exposed?
Mays cannot be that much stiffer than these two guys.

Maybe it's the mental aspect?

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So in the division we have two other safeties who are basically the same size as Mays.

Adrian Wilson and Kam Chancellor (Seahawks). Physicallly Adrian Wilson is pretty equivalent to Mays. Kam Chancellor is less of an athlete. All of them are around 6'3" 230.

How do the Cardinals and Seahawks use these guys so they don't get exposed?
Mays cannot be that much stiffer than these two guys.

Maybe it's the mental aspect?

I don't think there is a correlation between size and stiffness. It's more similar to natural attributes. Like having 2 people of similar sizes yet one is faster than the other or even one is stronger than the other.

It's having a natural attribute that helps you react and change direction without thinking about it and losing momentum

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Instincts and anticipation are what he didn't get for Christmas last year.

The thing is, I thought he was showing improvement last year before he got pulled.

I distinctly remember a clip when he was first thrown out there where he completely missed his assignment and a WR got left ridiculously wide open. When you saw the play it's like what are you even doing back there (even though the QB missed it). It was just really bad.

But later in the year I thought he showing improvement. Teams were going after him, but he at least getting near the ball. I thought he might have been able to take a step forward and prove us all wrong but doesn't look like the case.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Instincts and anticipation are what he didn't get for Christmas last year.

The thing is, I thought he was showing improvement last year before he got pulled.

I distinctly remember a clip when he was first thrown out there where he completely missed his assignment and a WR got left ridiculously wide open. When you saw the play it's like what are you even doing back there (even though the QB missed it). It was just really bad.

But later in the year I thought he showing improvement. Teams were going after him, but he at least getting near the ball. I thought he might have been able to take a step forward and prove us all wrong but doesn't look like the case.

That's funny!

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't think there is a correlation between size and stiffness. It's more similar to natural attributes. Like having 2 people of similar sizes yet one is faster than the other or even one is stronger than the other.

It's having a natural attribute that helps you react and change direction without thinking about it and losing momentum

I think Mays is just as athletic as those other two big safeties, for Mays I think it's more of a mental problem, he takes bad angles and reads plays badly. If you look at his lowlights on youtube it's all about bad angles and misread plays.
Also he does knock alot of receivers out of bounds so that will help in the NFL because that's an incomplete pass.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Mays is just as athletic as those other two big safeties, for Mays I think it's more of a mental problem, he takes bad angles and reads plays badly. If you look at his lowlights on youtube it's all about bad angles and misread plays.
Also he does knock alot of receivers out of bounds so that will help in the NFL because that's an incomplete pass.

I think you're missing the point. Mays' athleticism is not in question. It's the attributes of his athleticism. Not all athletes have the same attributes even if they have similar body types. The natural ability to react and change direction with out thinking. His body make up does not allow the flexibility needed for reflexive reactions to changes in direction. It's like speed. You can't teach it. It's either you have it or you don't. He gets into bad angles because his body can't react instinctively. He has to think then react. That split second of delay is enough to miss the window to get the correct angle

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
From Barrows on twitter:

Dashon Goldson said he got a contract offer from the #Patriots. He visited New England over the weekend and had a physical Sunday.

3 minutes ago via web