• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Going back to work on the Stang

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still haven't repowered yet, but my mind keeps changing anyway.

If repowering an old Mustang, why not consider an Ecoboost 3.5? 345HP and over 400 fp torque and it weighs under 500 pounds. That's the engine in the F150.
You'd have to make the driveshaft the right length and the bell housing bolts. Ford Racing now makes a PCM kit to make the new computer work with your throttle, gauges and every thing else. Doesn't that sound good??

2014 Ford F150 3 5 Ecoboost Turbo Engine 6R80 Transmission Complete Pullout | eBay

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting to get committed again. It's hotter than blue blazes out there, but one of the real "downers" that was getting to me was the fact that no matter how much I got done, I could never finish it unless I find someone willing to sell me a rear seat for this thing. Found one this weekend. I watched eBay forever, and Craigslist too. 67 rear seats or 66 fastback lower seats are easy to find. Well some guy decided to clear out his lot apparently, he had three of them. So I bought one. Told him to give me the one that has good springs and foam still, but don't care about the fabric because I'm replacing it. He had a cherry set that was black, but I'm going parchment I think so I told him to keep that for someone else. I got one that has a puncture and a rip, but don't care. Cost me $225 to buy it and have it shipped, but at least I freaking found one.

So when it gets here I know the bug will have bit me for a few weeks so I'll get the rest of the car wired up and start picking out colors for it. Still gotta redo the rear suspension (easy) and a new gas tank (easier). Then I just have to find a way to get it to the shop for exhaust, and when the wiring is done I'll be ready to fire it. All downhill from there. Looks like about $1000 for an interior kit, and then planning on at least $3-4k for paint. This damn project needs about $5k more into it, then the moment it runs it is getting a for sale sign on it. :laugh3:

lol...you still haven't done shit.

Hey, look at this....now you can buy Ford Coyote take-outs with a six speed auto or manual attached for $8k. Plus, the kit comes with the $1,300 PCM thingie that connects the engine's modern computer to all your car's gauges n shit. You just plug it all in.

I guess you'd have to cut the driveshaft shorter and get new mounts, etc etc. Other than that, you're dropping in a modern, 420hp V8 into your old car and hauling ass. I hope you modernized the brakes.

5 0L 420 HP Coyote Engine Auto Trans Swap Fastback Cobra Mustang Boss GT 1967 | eBay

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Ford...the 30% off parts sale is here. Time to get going thar dude!

CJ Pony Parts | Sales, Rebates, Coupons and Promotions

Could have used that a month ago. Ordered the rest of the front end and steering and got the old stuff ripped out. Just in time for the wife to have my haul all the Xmas boxes out of the attic and are now piled all around the mustang making it impossible to do anything. But once the steering is bolted back up the engine bay is ready for wiring. It's pulled into the bay, just needs to be routed and tied off.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could have used that a month ago. Ordered the rest of the front end and steering and got the old stuff ripped out. Just in time for the wife to have my haul all the Xmas boxes out of the attic and are now piled all around the mustang making it impossible to do anything. But once the steering is bolted back up the engine bay is ready for wiring. It's pulled into the bay, just needs to be routed and tied off.
@fordman84

Pictures, man, Pictures. :gaah:

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the last few posters:

I've done a lot of research on a coyote swap into a classic mustang. Too much work to put a coyote in and too expensive. Even if you can get one dirt cheap. Have to cut out the shock towers and find a modular front suspension somewhere. Plus a new tranny and exhaust work. The MT82 tranny sucks and won't fit. Hell, the coyote barely fits under my hood and it was designed to go there. Be original and go with a push rod engine.

CJ Pony parts is the bomb. Best prices on mustang parts for all years. Most of the other places don't go older than the Fox Body. I get most of my S197 parts from them.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the last few posters:

I've done a lot of research on a coyote swap into a classic mustang. Too much work to put a coyote in and too expensive. Even if you can get one dirt cheap. Have to cut out the shock towers and find a modular front suspension somewhere. Plus a new tranny and exhaust work. The MT82 tranny sucks and won't fit. Hell, the coyote barely fits under my hood and it was designed to go there. Be original and go with a push rod engine.

CJ Pony parts is the bomb. Best prices on mustang parts for all years. Most of the other places don't go older than the Fox Body. I get most of my S197 parts from them.

That's pretty much what I read about it...although shaving those towers doesn't seem too bad.

The new eco-boost V6 seems like the best modern repower option for everything. There are quite a few around from salvage with the tranny attached and for a price that almost seems to make the gauge conversion kit from Ford Racing seem palatable. They have as much torque and hp as anything. 13 14 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5L Engine Motor 30K Miles OEM

That said, you just can't beat buying a complete new/rebuilt 302 from Phoenix engine (or any of those) for 3500 bucks, get good mounts, bolting it to the existing tranny and you're done.

Last edited:

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always wanted to do an EFI swap on a 65-70 Stang. 86-95 5.0, GT40 heads and cam. Just because it's cool looking

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always wanted to do an EFI swap on a 65-70 Stang. 86-95 5.0, GT40 heads and cam. Just because it's cool looking

No thanks to EFI, too many boogers to work out there and talk about a lot of little things to change over. I remember looking at an "ez efi" carb for an offroad rig about a decade ago, sort of a poor mans EFI that wasn't really. But it did away with floats and needles.

I already started putting Xmas away on Sunday, will be done soon. Then the garage is mine again and I already have the heaters ready to go. Yeah, I'm a Texan and anything less than 50 degrees on a cold concrete floor requires a heater. :dhd:

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have the time or patience to take on a project right now. And because of all my "house mods" I don't have the money. Now that we are down to one kid we realize that the house is just too darn big. Need to sell it and move closer to Dallas. I had new AC quoted the other day...13 grand for the cheapest. Saw some cracks in the walls so I know the foundation will suck more money out.

I replaced pretty much the entire ignition system in my dads f150 the other day and was freakin miserable with the cold and rain. Couldn't shut the garage door and water kept creeping in. I'm sore too. Hate working on trucks.