• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Going back to work on the Stang

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't a lifetime project is it?
We need some fucking updates.
I don't care if it's cold.

Get with it man.

Maybe it will be done by the time my 2 year old is driving :L

Had to spend last weekend screwing around with the civic so I could trade her in. I'll rewire the back half tomorrow and Sunday. I promise, I'll snap some pics of her and get em loaded up.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it will be done by the time my 2 year old is driving :L

Had to spend last weekend screwing around with the civic so I could trade her in. I'll rewire the back half tomorrow and Sunday. I promise, I'll snap some pics of her and get em loaded up.

oh yeah, the civic problem, I forgot. sorry:gaah:

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
My dad's neighbor dropped the price on that 65 Stang down to $300. Apparently she never listed it but keeps asking me if I want to buy it. I think I can Jew her down more. How about sign the title over to me and I'll pay to haul it out of your yard (and put it on Craigs List for 2K.):suds:
It's starting to sink down into the mud and some kid broke out one of the windows. I'd end up dropping 10 grand into the body alone...without the paint!

However, it breaks my heart to see a pony out in the elements rusting away...

I would walk away from that. Unless it's a high dollar car, where a guy can at least sell the VIN tag. I'd be very leery about yanking on a uni-body car that's been sinking into the ground for years. You just might only get half of it on the first try..lol

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would walk away from that. Unless it's a high dollar car, where a guy can at least sell the VIN tag. I'd be very leery about yanking on a uni-body car that's been sinking into the ground for years. You just might only get half of it on the first try..lol

I only do new cars now days. I don't have the proper work space at my new house for big projects like that. Plus I found that the older I've gotten - the less patient I am. And taking on a full restoration requires a lot of patience. If I buy it it would be to sell it for a quick buck.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's warmed up outside.
You spend hours on this board.
And not 1 extra pic of whats happening.

How am I suppose to live vicariously thru your efforts if you don't get back to work on the stang.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got the rear end wired up (really just a few wires) but that's it for the new stuff.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has this project been pushed onto the back burner.
I'll just lower my expectations if it has.
We need a commitment, one way or the other.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has this project been pushed onto the back burner.
I'll just lower my expectations if it has.
We need a commitment, one way or the other.

Starting to get committed again. It's hotter than blue blazes out there, but one of the real "downers" that was getting to me was the fact that no matter how much I got done, I could never finish it unless I find someone willing to sell me a rear seat for this thing. Found one this weekend. I watched eBay forever, and Craigslist too. 67 rear seats or 66 fastback lower seats are easy to find. Well some guy decided to clear out his lot apparently, he had three of them. So I bought one. Told him to give me the one that has good springs and foam still, but don't care about the fabric because I'm replacing it. He had a cherry set that was black, but I'm going parchment I think so I told him to keep that for someone else. I got one that has a puncture and a rip, but don't care. Cost me $225 to buy it and have it shipped, but at least I freaking found one.

So when it gets here I know the bug will have bit me for a few weeks so I'll get the rest of the car wired up and start picking out colors for it. Still gotta redo the rear suspension (easy) and a new gas tank (easier). Then I just have to find a way to get it to the shop for exhaust, and when the wiring is done I'll be ready to fire it. All downhill from there. Looks like about $1000 for an interior kit, and then planning on at least $3-4k for paint. This damn project needs about $5k more into it, then the moment it runs it is getting a for sale sign on it. :laugh3:

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting to get committed again. It's hotter than blue blazes out there, but one of the real "downers" that was getting to me was the fact that no matter how much I got done, I could never finish it unless I find someone willing to sell me a rear seat for this thing. Found one this weekend. I watched eBay forever, and Craigslist too. 67 rear seats or 66 fastback lower seats are easy to find. Well some guy decided to clear out his lot apparently, he had three of them. So I bought one. Told him to give me the one that has good springs and foam still, but don't care about the fabric because I'm replacing it. He had a cherry set that was black, but I'm going parchment I think so I told him to keep that for someone else. I got one that has a puncture and a rip, but don't care. Cost me $225 to buy it and have it shipped, but at least I freaking found one.

So when it gets here I know the bug will have bit me for a few weeks so I'll get the rest of the car wired up and start picking out colors for it. Still gotta redo the rear suspension (easy) and a new gas tank (easier). Then I just have to find a way to get it to the shop for exhaust, and when the wiring is done I'll be ready to fire it. All downhill from there. Looks like about $1000 for an interior kit, and then planning on at least $3-4k for paint. This damn project needs about $5k more into it, then the moment it runs it is getting a for sale sign on it. :laugh3:

When I was 17yrs old I put headers on my Pontiac. I drove it with open headers to the muffler shop. It was a loud son of a bitch. :nod:

You aren't really going to sell it are you?? :noidea:
We'll need some pictures no matter what you do.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is what I stared at today, not even sure where to begin

photo1_zpsfb6e1283.jpg

I actually do know where to start, but I'm going branch by branch to figure out what I need and what I have. I'm thoroughly confused by the instrument panel. Ford made everything crazy simple, but this aftermarket stuff is for aftermarket gauges so there is crap I don't need and can't figure out how to make all the instrument lights into single wire connections. I'm fried today, probably will figure it all out in 5 minutes tomorrow.

So, how'd it go on the gauges? The only thing on my entire '73 Mustang that doesn't work are the 3 center gauges. When the dude installed the new a/c, he found all three come together to a nice plug. The problem is, whatever it's supposed to be plugged into is gone! We can't understand it...guessing some douche went to put in the new stereo and just cut the harness above it to use the power?? weird

Anyway, I can't find a wiring diagram with color coding or something like that anywhere. What a pointless hassle. But I'd sure like to know the engine's temp, voltage and oil pressure!

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, how'd it go on the gauges? The only thing on my entire '73 Mustang that doesn't work are the 3 center gauges. When the dude installed the new a/c, he found all three come together to a nice plug. The problem is, whatever it's supposed to be plugged into is gone! We can't understand it...guessing some douche went to put in the new stereo and just cut the harness above it to use the power?? weird

Anyway, I can't find a wiring diagram with color coding or something like that anywhere. What a pointless hassle. But I'd sure like to know the engine's temp, voltage and oil pressure!

Do it the old fashioned way. If your feet get real warm, the engine is running too hot. If the old girl starts sounding like a Duramax diesel it's time for a quart or two of 10w-30 and if the lights go out your alternator shit the bed.

How hard is that?

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do it the old fashioned way. If your feet get real warm, the engine is running too hot. If the old girl starts sounding like a Duramax diesel it's time for a quart or two of 10w-30 and if the lights go out your alternator shit the bed.

How hard is that?

I'm in Sw FL, my feet are always really warm. When some old skank finally bumps my 'stang, Imma' drop a new 302 in it after painting and will hook it all up then. I wish thee ol' skank would hurry up and give me the bump!

$4k:
Ford04-01.jpg

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's ok, Fordman. My kids are about grown, wife is happy and I still don't have time to work on my projects. I just keep finding excuses to buy newer and better tools that I will rarely use. Like yesterday, my wife mentioned that one of her tires was low - so I bought a new air compressor...