• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Going back to work on the Stang

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll get some pictures up, but figure that at 2.5 years old my son is old enough to hold a flashlight and has his toy tools out beside me everytime I'm in the garage. So it's time to get back to work on the project car.

Forgot (purposefully?) two things on these old cars: 1) replacement parts are made out of gold...or just priced that way and 2) nothing is ever the way it is supposed to be. This weekend I was working on the steering column. It's out, so stripped and primed it and the turn signal cam is busted so need to replace it. That is one of the things the previous owner never tinkered with, the steering wheel or column. So I was expecting to find a 1966 signal switch in there. Nope, a 64 1/2 signal switch in there. Times were different back then, and all parts were used before new ones rolled out. So they were still using 1964 1/2 parts in my 1966 :L
A 1966 will be going back in, it is $40 cheaper than the 64 and I want to use a 1966 steering wheel. Probably how it broke, the 1964 has a different "bump" to cancel the turn signal. The current wheel has the 1966 bump

ANyways, as I get pissed or complete something I'm proud of I'll post here.

NativeWebfoot

Live to race-Race to live
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad to hear someone's got a classic car project they're working on. When I got married (in '07) my wife informed me that my '66 Plym VIP is the bottom priority and gets NO money spent on it until we're debt free and have "extra" money. It's frustrating to see it as a yard ornament I can't work on. GO man GO and good luck on the 'Stang.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ANyways, as I get pissed or complete something I'm proud of I'll post here.

so you'll be posting a lot.
:lol:

keep us updated fershure.
but tell us a little more. engine/trans? options? rear end? color before/after? ensuch

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, pics man, pics!

I'm about ready for a new deal as well. Been driving the Waggy for awhile and it's time to sell and get something different. The problem is I only have a 2 car garage - so, have to use my project as my daily driver as well. So, it has to work! Maybe something like:

Maserati : Coupe Indy in Maserati | eBay Motors

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad to hear someone's got a classic car project they're working on. When I got married (in '07) my wife informed me that my '66 Plym VIP is the bottom priority and gets NO money spent on it until we're debt free and have "extra" money. It's frustrating to see it as a yard ornament I can't work on. GO man GO and good luck on the 'Stang.

I would inform her that you earn your money and will spend/budget it how you see fit:D

I hope that clothes shopping and all is a bottom priority for her, if you cant spend your dough on your car, she she cant buy new threads.

Tell her it was just something someone on a message board said, that way you get a feel on her reaction, without tipping your hand as to how you actually feel.

NativeWebfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would inform her that you earn your money and will spend/budget it how you see fit:D

I hope that clothes shopping and all is a bottom priority for her, if you cant spend your dough on your car, she she cant buy new threads.

Tell her it was just something someone on a message board said, that way you get a feel on her reaction, without tipping your hand as to how you actually feel.
She's actually a very low maintenance woman. Looks great w/o make-up (she doesn't wear any) and doesn't have a large wardrobe with hundreds of different varieties of purses, belts, pairs of shoes, etc. Where she spends it is on her 2 sons that are from a prev marriage. The sons are going to ASU and have never had any work ethic instilled in them, although I'm proud of the younger one for delivering pizzas for extra $.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She's actually a very low maintenance woman. Looks great w/o make-up (she doesn't wear any) and doesn't have a large wardrobe with hundreds of different varieties of purses, belts, pairs of shoes, etc. Where she spends it is on her 2 sons that are from a prev marriage. The sons are going to ASU and have never had any work ethic instilled in them, although I'm proud of the younger one for delivering pizzas for extra $.

well..that puts a wrinkle in things...tell her no more spending on the kids, unless you can spend on the car:D

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At least you still have it, you will get around to it. Mine took a backseat to debt paying when we first got married as well. Just makes it worth it when you get back to it. Been on a 2 year hiatus because of our new debt machine that is just about out of diapers :) Just remind her of the money saved as you do work around the house that a handyman would charge an arm and a leg for! :10:

JtG, we too have a 2 car garage, but one bay is used by the mustang. She has the other one, and I'm good with that. I'll park the 4runner outside if it means I can have a toy to work on.

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My current projects.... 69 MGB and a 73 CJ5 with a 304.

Attachments

• jeep2.jpg
    jeep2.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 158
  • jeep4.jpg
    jeep4.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 156
  • jeep3.jpg
    jeep3.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 156
  • DSCN0232.jpg
    DSCN0232.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 150
  • DSCN0238.jpg
    DSCN0238.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 148
  • DSCN0234.jpg
    DSCN0234.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 153

NativeWebfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the MGB. Are those twin side-draft carbs Solex brand? I think that's what my brother's '67 Datsun 1600 Fair Lady Roadster had. They work very well and get great gas mileage.

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My next door neighbor is rebuilding...a 1979 Suburban that has a 6.7 (??) diesel engine. The thing is a mess but I go over and we have some beers and work on it. It actually recently became road worthy and we took it through the back roads (we live in the sticks)

He has a total of like 6k into it. 6 in lift and tires and wheel included. It actually is pretty nice now. although 0-60 in like 1 hour lolol

Good luck FM project cars and trucks are good fun. So much so I am looking for a older truck to do the same.

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the MGB. Are those twin side-draft carbs Solex brand? I think that's what my brother's '67 Datsun 1600 Fair Lady Roadster had. They work very well and get great gas mileage.

No, they are SU's. Besides a major tuneup, its the only think I have done to it so far. There was a single carb, and I found a wrecked MGB with twin SU's and swapped them out. Way better throttle response. The entire floorboard is swiss cheese and I am welding new floor paneling on now. Then getting ready to tackle body work and paint. The motor is solid, thing drives like a go cart.... really fun to drive.

Last edited by a moderator:

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first car was a '76 MGB. It was the perfect car to learn about cars. Everything was miniture, easy to reach and simple. I put slightly wider wheels on and the thing handled even better...ridiculously good handling. But it was slow/sluggish. It was very reliable but I did have some corrosion issues.

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first car was a '76 MGB. It was the perfect car to learn about cars. Everything was miniture, easy to reach and simple. I put slightly wider wheels on and the thing handled even better...ridiculously good handling. But it was slow/sluggish. It was very reliable but I did have some corrosion issues.

Yeah, they really do handle great. Its like driving a go kart. Mine is pretty fast too. Not like a modern car, but its decent with a racing head and cam and the twin carbs. Did yours have the knock offs? I am not comfortable with them yet, seems like a sketchy concept to hold the wheels on.

The great thing about this one is I got for 1500 bucks. Some old lady had it after her husband died for three years and it wouldn't start and she just wanted it gone. I put a new battery in it and it drove like a champ! Probably worth 5 or 6 grand. 8 or 9K if I paint it. Some guy just offered me 2k for the spoke wheels.

I think I am going to keep it though. No smog, and super cheap fun run around car.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, My car mod/garage/tool money just bought my wife a new Rubicon so now I'm down to my super-secret credit card for car parts.
:L

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check this...I've heard of peeps dropping a V8 in there:

MG MGB Roadster | eBay

That is a clean conversion!!! Pretty funny. There was a guy in my town that put a 350 in a gremlin. One of the more humorous car mods I have seen. He said it was pretty sketchy to drive. THE MG is low enough and stable enough to handle the power probably but it has to destroy the handling characteristics of such a great handling car.

Pretty cool though..

I will say, I really like the older chrome bumper models the best... as far as looks anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is what I stared at today, not even sure where to begin

photo1_zpsfb6e1283.jpg

I actually do know where to start, but I'm going branch by branch to figure out what I need and what I have. I'm thoroughly confused by the instrument panel. Ford made everything crazy simple, but this aftermarket stuff is for aftermarket gauges so there is crap I don't need and can't figure out how to make all the instrument lights into single wire connections. I'm fried today, probably will figure it all out in 5 minutes tomorrow.

whyoh

Go Yale!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

photo1_zpsfb6e1283.jpg

I actually do know where to start, but I'm going branch by branch to figure out what I need and what I have. I'm thoroughly confused by the instrument panel. Ford made everything crazy simple, but this aftermarket stuff is for aftermarket gauges so there is crap I don't need and can't figure out how to make all the instrument lights into single wire connections. I'm fried today, probably will figure it all out in 5 minutes tomorrow.

it'll look great when it has a car wrapped around it

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

photo1_zpsfb6e1283.jpg

Usually the worst part of the old Stangs is the rust.