• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Going back to work on the Stang

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those Coyote 5.0's are going into the classics right now. Direct swap and lots of guys are doing it. Pretty sweet and if I hadn't already rebuilt my '67 302 I'd be out looking for one right now.

I've seen that. That's pretty cool. I also saw where the Fox Body 5.0 parts fit perfectly on a 289. I was thinking about doing a 65 mustang and researched a lot of crate engine options that are turn key. Average price is around $7K. I was looking into that option because this car has a straight six. That was until I saw all the water damage inside the car.

Thinking about doing an old truck now. I have to wait for a little while because my rib just had me put in new hardwood floors...

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I lease.. only live 10 miles from work.

work with 3 guys that lease cameros.
but there is about 10 mustangs in the parking lot at work.

the new mustangs are sharp. dam I want one

Must be nice...I live about 60 miles from work. Unless that plant in McKinney makes an offer then I can cut that commute down to 40 miles.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen that. That's pretty cool. I also saw where the Fox Body 5.0 parts fit perfectly on a 289. I was thinking about doing a 65 mustang and researched a lot of crate engine options that are turn key. Average price is around $7K. I was looking into that option because this car has a straight six. That was until I saw all the water damage inside the car.

Thinking about doing an old truck now. I have to wait for a little while because my rib just had me put in new hardwood floors...

Run from classic mustangs. RUN! :)

The cowls are all rusted unless you find one that was garaged, and that isn't likely. So the floorboards are all rusted. Converting a 6 to an 8 is a pain as well. My car was at one time a I-6, previous owner put the '67 302 in it but didn't upgrade anything else. I'm upgrading everything to V8 standards except the brakes. I have no plans to upgrade those to 5 lug disc's, but I thought about it for a while. Just rebuilt the 4lug drums and should stop just fine. There are a LOT of things people scare you with about these death traps, but I'm just ignoring all that stuff (steering column of death, fuel tank of death, drum brakes of death, lap belts of death, etc). On top of that, these parts are apparently made of gold...or just priced that way. A wiring kit for my '49 F1 that has the same number of relays and circuits is less than half the cost of the mustang wiring kit. I can't find any reason, unless the connectors are about $90 each.

I'd go for like a 60's model F150, but the 70's have started to grow on me. Easy to find parts for em.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What The Fuck is going on with this project.
I'm having update withdrawls goddam it.
Do not tell us it's on the back burner again.
Pictures man, Pictures.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What The Fuck is going on with this project.
I'm having update withdrawls goddam it.
Do not tell us it's on the back burner again.
Pictures man, Pictures.

It's been 25 degrees in my garage. When it is back above freezing and I have a free weekend I'll get back to work on it :)

Holidays and a crazy early freeze has slowed me, but I'm not back burnering it again. I don't want to have to pick back up in a while to remember where the wires run!

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I installed a set of headers on my Pontiac once in 25 degree weather.
I understand completely.
:clap:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I installed a set of headers on my Pontiac once in 25 degree weather.
I understand completely.
:clap:

sounds like a lot of knuckle pain to me. I've been there when it is necessary, but not on a hobby car.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been 25 degrees in my garage. When it is back above freezing and I have a free weekend I'll get back to work on it :)

Holidays and a crazy early freeze has slowed me, but I'm not back burnering it again. I don't want to have to pick back up in a while to remember where the wires run!

I got my suspension parts in and they will likely sit on my garage floor until it warms up a little. maybe 10 years ago I would roll around on a cold garage floor doing stuff like this but now it's hard to power past pain.
:suds:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got my suspension parts in and they will likely sit on my garage floor until it warms up a little. maybe 10 years ago I would roll around on a cold garage floor doing stuff like this but now it's hard to power past pain.
:suds:

Exactly. The good news for you will be that there won't be years of gunk and dings to keep your suspension parts on there. We did a 15" lift on a buddies F150 years ago in January, that was so painful...even in his insulated shop with a blast heater running. So much gunk, bent frame mounts, drilling new mounting holes.

The '66 was difficult to get the springs in, everything else was pretty much stock bolting.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. The good news for you will be that there won't be years of gunk and dings to keep your suspension parts on there. We did a 15" lift on a buddies F150 years ago in January, that was so painful...even in his insulated shop with a blast heater running. So much gunk, bent frame mounts, drilling new mounting holes.

The '66 was difficult to get the springs in, everything else was pretty much stock bolting.

This is on the '13 and just a 1.5" drop all the way around and an adjustable panhard bar to recenter the rear wheels. Probably an easy 2 hour job but damn it's too cold outside. Just a jack and jack-stands and me crouched down on the cold garage floor. I don't hate those 4X4 wheel gaps so much that I can't wait a couple of weeks...

I've talked myself out of a classic Mustang restoration. Most that I have seen for sale around here I'd have to sink in more money than it's worth. I have a neighbor with an old F100 that I have my eye on.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is on the '13 and just a 1.5" drop all the way around and an adjustable panhard bar to recenter the rear wheels. Probably an easy 2 hour job but damn it's too cold outside. Just a jack and jack-stands and me crouched down on the cold garage floor. I don't hate those 4X4 wheel gaps so much that I can't wait a couple of weeks...

I've talked myself out of a classic Mustang restoration. Most that I have seen for sale around here I'd have to sink in more money than it's worth. I have a neighbor with an old F100 that I have my eye on.

Run from a classic mustang. Expensive and everything has to be replaced if you really want to do it well.

What year F100? A '70's would be cool. I'm dropping a lot of money into this car, but should be able to flip it for a nice profit to fund my other hobbies. I almost sold it when I moved, but the parts I already have for it and the current condition would lose me money.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
looks like early 70's. It has wood panels in the bed...Don't know if they came like that back then or something the owner did. The guy is in his 90's. The truck stays covered and he starts it up once a week and goes around the block and back just to keep it in good condition. I'd hit him up on it but I can tell it's his baby but I got my eye out for something similar.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to get another 66 Mustang.

Easy to wrench on, parts can be somewhat expensive, but not unreasonable.

If you're dropping a V8 into a car that was set up for a 6 cylinder, upgrade the entire suspension and drive train, including the rear end with a 5 lug pattern.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I open this thread once, and I start getting these ads

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My dad's neighbor dropped the price on that 65 Stang down to $300. Apparently she never listed it but keeps asking me if I want to buy it. I think I can Jew her down more. How about sign the title over to me and I'll pay to haul it out of your yard (and put it on Craigs List for 2K.):suds:
It's starting to sink down into the mud and some kid broke out one of the windows. I'd end up dropping 10 grand into the body alone...without the paint!

However, it breaks my heart to see a pony out in the elements rusting away...

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't a lifetime project is it?
We need some fucking updates.
I don't care if it's cold.

Get with it man.