• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GOAT QB

Who is the GOAT?

• Total voters

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eli will never be GOAT or anywhere near the conversation.

Peyton might be the best QB performance wise, Brady is right there too. What hurts Peyton is the titles, but his numbers and records are so crazy good it puts him in the conversation definitely. He falls short IMO

Manning and Favre are in the conversation for greatest regular season QB's of all time. But both of them came up short way too many times in the playoffs to be the GOAT discussion.

This really is a pick 'em between Montana and Brady IMO with some of the old farts able to sprinkle in a little Johnny U talk.

Voting for anyone else is people just misunderstanding the question. We are looking for the greatest QB of all time. Not the strongest arm (probably Elway), not the most impressive passer (Marino or Rodgers), not the most overall athletic ability (Elway or Young). This is a conversation of the greatest of all time. That means who has performed the best during their careers. And when you understand that, the only two choices are Brady and Montana based on their overall performance during the regular and especially during the postseason.

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should have made the poll public so we knew who voted for Elway and Favre so we knew we could just ignore their football posts.

Those two don't even belong in this conversation.

Elway's QB rating isn't even 80. One of the most overrated players in the history of the league.

And Favre spent the last decade plus of his career throwing game breaking INT's ending his team's season.

I'm guessing you never even saw Elway play. One of the strongest and most accurate arms, period.

If he'd had a different coach than Dan Reeves in his early days, he would have been even better. Reeves was a stubborn fool who wanted to prove he could get his team to run the ball and the pass was and after thought.

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manning and Favre are in the conversation for greatest regular season QB's of all time. But both of them came up short way too many times in the playoffs to be the GOAT discussion.

This really is a pick 'em between Montana and Brady IMO with some of the old farts able to sprinkle in a little Johnny U talk.

Voting for anyone else is people just misunderstanding the question. We are looking for the greatest QB of all time. Not the strongest arm (probably Elway), not the most impressive passer (Marino or Rodgers), not the most overall athletic ability (Elway or Young). This is a conversation of the greatest of all time. That means who has performed the best during their careers. And when you understand that, the only two choices are Brady and Montana based on their overall performance during the regular and especially during the postseason.

What if we believe that stronger arms, more impressive passers, or more impressive athletes, are better all time? Who has performed best during their careers? That's an extremely open-ended question that could be answered many different ways with compelling arguments. There are a ridiculous amount of choices, and to think otherwise is just being close-minded. You're basing greatness on accomplishments here, and that's fine if that's how you want to do it, but it's not the be all end all, end of the question like you think it is.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing you never even saw Elway play. One of the strongest and most accurate arms, period.

If he'd had a different coach than Dan Reeves in his early days, he would have been even better. Reeves was a stubborn fool who wanted to prove he could get his team to run the ball and the pass was and after thought.

I saw a ton of Elway. The fact that you threw in accurate is hilarious.

Elway isn't in this conversation because he wasn't as accurate as virtually everyone else on this list. It was his biggest flaw. Only 4 times during his career did he crack the top 10 in the league in completion percentage and finished his career with a pretty average 57% career completion percentage.

He had a rocket arm....but he was one of the least accurate throwers of the football on this list. If all you are looking at is arm strength and accuracy, Elway would lose to Marino every time.

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dunno, but I saw him throw very accurately across the filed on numerous occasions and his deep ball was a beauty to watch.

the fact that you dismiss him so easily is hilarious...

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest, there isn't a clear cut GOAT in anything. Everybody is always going to have a different opinion. There are few people who believe that Moss was better than Rice. There are a few people like me who believe that Peyton is better than Brady and Montana. It's always going to happen. Trying to label somebody as the GOAT is just ridiculous. Even in basketball, Jordan is the standard, but there are people who argue other players. There's really just no point in having this discussion. Unless you just want to spark some convo about how people feel about certain players. If you read the thread, you'll see a wide variety of opinions.

I don't follow NHL, but there is only one goat and that's Gretzky. Pretty unusual that happens though

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't follow NHL, but there is only one goat and that's Gretzky. Pretty unusual that happens though

You would think so, but there are people that argue otherwise. No GOAT will ever be unanimously agreed upon.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well if Lebron ever had a good coach in the NBA imagine how much better he could be or most importantly how many titles he could have won.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would think so, but there are people that argue otherwise. No GOAT will ever be unanimously agreed upon.

I'm just saying, that is as close as you could get. Nothing will ever be unanimous, but if the majority thinks so I think that is good enough for this poll lol

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just saying, that is as close as you could get. Nothing will ever be unanimous, but if the majority thinks so I think that is good enough for this poll lol

Damn it. I refuse! I will never go with the majority! Fuck the system. :gaah:

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if we believe that stronger arms, more impressive passers, or more impressive athletes, are better all time? Who has performed best during their careers? That's an extremely open-ended question that could be answered many different ways with compelling arguments. There are a ridiculous amount of choices, and to think otherwise is just being close-minded. You're basing greatness on accomplishments here, and that's fine if that's how you want to do it, but it's not the be all end all, end of the question like you think it is.

I don't think it is an open-ended question at all.

Take away the names from the equation.

Would you rather be a QB who was consistently in the top 5 in most passing categories during your career and was always considered an elite QB of your generation with numerous remarkable post season performances that lead to 4 rings...

OR

Would you rather be a QB who was consistently in the top 5 in most passing categories during your career and was always considered an elite QB of your generation with 1 or 2 rings and a blah postseason resume?

The rings the thing.

And Brady and Montana were the only ones of these groups that were without question prolific regular season QB's with the post season resumes to boot.

This would be a pick your favorite and you can't be wrong if all we are doing is looking at QB's during the regular season. But once you throw in post season performances, when football matters the most, Brady and Montana stand above the rest.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thing I look at since I have seen Brady play his entire career is the dominance and the players he was throwing to, yes he had some very good receivers but most of the them were just average players. Also, Brady could very easily have 6 SB rings if it wasn't for Eli and unknown receivers making miracle/great catches, he came that close. I think Brady is GOAT if you look at everything, considering he was still one of the best in the regular season and the best in the playoffs.

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if Lebron ever had a good coach in the NBA imagine how much better he could be or most importantly how many titles he could have won.

Dan Reeves was a good coach, he was just stubborn and I've always been of the opinion that it hurt Elway in regards of not letting him do what he did best, use his arm and his legs. Denver had some pretty pitiful rbs back in Elway early years, but Dan Reeves was stubborn about proving his teams could run the ball and holding Elway in check.

just my opinion.

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you rather be a QB who was consistently in the top 5 in most passing categories during your career and was always considered an elite QB of your generation with numerous remarkable post season performances that lead to 4 rings...

OR

Would you rather be a QB who was consistently in the top 5 in most passing categories during your career and was always considered an elite QB of your generation with 1 or 2 rings and a blah postseason resume?

Not enough information to answer the question. We need to know what kind of players they were playing with, organizations, coaches, stability, etc. You can't just bottle everything into a simple question and expect it to work. Brady and Montana had better organizations and stability who actually understood how to build teams. Manning and Marino did not, and that cannot be refuted. Well, Manning got to play with a great organization and a great team with the Broncos, but with most of his career coming with the Colts where they never built a true winner, it's unfair to compare him to Brady based on your criteria.

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if Elway had played for the 49ers instead of Montana, he would have done as well or better with that supporting cast.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My recollection of Elway was not accuracy... he would look mediocre to horrible for most of the game but had the uncanny knack of turning it on in the fourth quarter. Among the best as far as coming through in the clutch.

Also, he did more with less: Sewell/Winder and the three Amidgets for most of his career - they really didn't strike fear into anyone.

He definitely had a cannon for an arm - was always amazed those little receivers could handle those rifle shots.

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if Elway had played for the 49ers instead of Montana, he would have done as well or better with that supporting cast.

You're going to get flamed for this one. lol. Just like I do when I say Marino would've done just as well with the 49ers as well. They were arguably the best organization in sports during that time.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets just compare Super Bowl performances and just the two QB's that had great regular seasons and playoff careers with the rings:

Brady

2001 - W 16-27 145 yds 1 TD 0 INT PR - 86.2

2003 - W 32-48 354 yds 3 TD's 1 INT PR - 100.5

2004 - W 23-33 236 yds 2 TD's 0 INT PR - 110.2

2007 - L 29-48 266 yds 1 TD 0 INT PR - 82.5

2011 - L 27-41 276 yds 2 TD's 1 INT PR - 91.1

2014 - W 37-50 328 yds 4 TD's 2 INT's PR - 101.1

Record 4-2

A total of 13 passing TD's 4 INT's in 6 games.

Montana

1981 - W 14-22 157 yds 1 TD 0 INT 18 rushing yds 1 TD PR - 100.0

1984 - W 24-35 331 yds 3 TD's 0 INT 59 rushing yds 1 TD PR - 127.2

1988 - W 23-36 357 yds 2 TD's 0 INT PR - 115.2

1989 - W 22-29 297 yds 5 TD's 0 INT PR - 147.6

Record 4-0

A total of 11 passing TD's, 2 rushing TD's and 0 INT's in 4 games.

But even though Brady lost 2 times do the appearances still mean more, while Montana only made it 4 times but has a perfect record?

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're going to get flamed for this one. lol. Just like I do when I say Marino would've done just as well with the 49ers as well. They were arguably the best organization in sports during that time.

I won't "flame" anyone, but I think it's unfair to say something like this (especially since it's impossible to substantiate).