• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Glazer: Teams have called Carolina to gauge interest in trading for Steve Smith

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jay Glazer:

Teams have called Carolina to gauge interest in trading for WR Steve Smith but the Panthers have turned down the inquiries thus far

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Jay Glazer:

Teams have called Carolina to gauge interest in trading for WR Steve Smith but the Panthers have turned down the inquiries thus far

All part of my master plan to take over the world. Come Baalke! We must prepare for tommorow night!
:pb:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steve Smith played for Utah, Alex's team a few years before Alex played. Not a reason to get him or not, of course, just saying.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would they not trade him? Aging receiver on a team heading toward a major re-building phase from the ground up. Where in that does a past his prime receiver fit in?

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would they not trade him? Aging receiver on a team heading toward a major re-building phase from the ground up. Where in that does a past his prime receiver fit in?

Not sure what the rest of the locker room is like, but maybe he is a good guy to have around for Newton? It seems like he is willing to put Cam in his place. Sometimes a young guy needs that.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

Exactly! He's been #1 on my list of WRs for whom I'd want the Niners to trade. I even posted it in the trade deadline thread. It's a perfect fit!

That'd make him the #1 WR and Crabby the #2 where he belongs. WR is the weakest non-QB position on the team, and it could turn into a strength!

I know it's not going to happen, but MAN I would be happy if I were wrong.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith, Crabs, Manningham. I like that a lot better.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
assuming Moss leaves after this season......yes we could use another vet WR, but i wouldn't push too hard making a deal.

at worse case we have Crabtree who should take more load anyway, Manningham who is that 'vet' and can handle more reps, KW who IMO is a solid back-up, and of course Jenkins who WILL get all the opportunity to play.

tend to think Ginn will be gone, but if not, he's another vet back-up.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Chiefs are really only asking for a 3rd rounder for Bowe I would love to get him. I'm just curious to see how much he wants.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'd be open to trading for Bowe, but I wouldn't want to sign him long term. He's gonna want a MONSTER contract. I don't see him being worth a contract of that size over the long term. However, he could put the Niners' offense over the top for a SB run. I'd be ok with renting him for 1 year and maybe even franchising him for 1 more season (which would be very expensive). But that's it.

This is why I'd much rather have Steve Smith.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd be open to trading for Bowe, but I wouldn't want to sign him long term. He's gonna want a MONSTER contract. I don't see him being worth a contract of that size over the long term. However, he could put the Niners' offense over the top for a SB run. I'd be ok with renting him for 1 year and maybe even franchising him for 1 more season (which would be very expensive). But that's it.

This is why I'd much rather have Steve Smith.

Pelissero: Deadline deal for top receiver was never in Vikings' plans | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) | Sportswire: Minnesota Vikings

Bowe is owed another $5.04 million in guaranteed salary this season under the franchise tender. League rules prohibit him from signing a new deal until after the regular season even if he were traded, and word circulated in league circles he had no interest in that anyway.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'm still mad the Niners didn't trade for Steve Smith. I think things would've been a lot different with him lining up opposite Crabby istead of useless Randy Moss. :(

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have my misgivings about this because he's getting up there in age.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I have my misgivings about this because he's getting up there in age.

He's still 2 years younger than Moss.

I just wanted to rent him for the season. Maybe keep him another year, but 2012 / 2013 was the reason I wanted him on the Niners. 2 years in a row the team would have easily won if they had anyone even a little good opposite Crabby IMO.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He's still 2 years younger than Moss.

I just wanted to rent him for the season. Maybe keep him another year, but 2012 / 2013 was the reason I wanted him on the Niners. 2 years in a row the team would have easily won if they had anyone even a little good opposite Crabby IMO.

I agree with that in theory, though I'm not sure another WR would have made a difference in the Giants' game. Smith did not look good throwing the ball in that game.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with that in theory, though I'm not sure another WR would have made a difference in the Giants' game. Smith did not look good throwing the ball in that game.

I think if we had Steve Smith, he would have either opened up Crab a little or caught a few. All without any shift of talent/skill from Alex. All we needed was one more first down somewhere - that would shift the game a little bit and maybe KW doesn't get that first punt somewhere? Maybe if they punted the ball a minute later, KW would have been positioned differently. I think if we had Steve Smith last year, even without an improvement from Smith, we would have won. It's like in a basketball game, if someone had made one free throw or defended one play, the game might not go into overtime.