• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ghostbusters (2016) (reboot)

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If people stop going in droves to see remakes (or movies based content with a built in audience ie: comics, graphic novels, etc), then Hollywood will start offering up more 'new' content.

But don't kid yourself. New or remake, everyone is in business to make profit.

Also, let's not pretend this is a new phenomenon. It's been going on for half a century or more.

At any rate, I fall in the camp of 'idk if it's a remake or a sequel if it's GOOD.' Make GOOD stuff, and people will watch it.
True, but in my mind there is a difference in making money off of "The Hangover" which may be the best comedy I have ever watched in theater and making money off of "The Hangover 2". Also Star Wars is now on it's 3rd set of movies and deems it necessary to make a side-movie now. WHY? Quality is not priority, pumping out crap with a Star Wars logo is.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, let's not pretend this is a new phenomenon. It's been going on for half a century or more.
There is definitely a recent trend towards safe movies for global audiences.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Waste your time and money if want, I'll be watch Pre-Olymip competition. And prolly some hawt paint dryin action.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
May I suggest 'Sausage Party' now out in theatres. Less pussy, and ORIGINAL!

is that the new seth rogen movie?

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When is the Thelma & Louise remake with Owen Wilson & Vince Vaughn coming out?

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but in my mind there is a difference in making money off of "The Hangover" which may be the best comedy I have ever watched in theater and making money off of "The Hangover 2". Also Star Wars is now on it's 3rd set of movies and deems it necessary to make a side-movie now. WHY? Quality is not priority, pumping out crap with a Star Wars logo is.

Why would you assume that a Star Wars side movie would be a cash-in like Hangover 2? Everything I've read suggests otherwise, including rumours of re-shoots because they weren't happy with 1st cut?

Sounds like you're starting at your conclusion and working backwards.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is definitely a recent trend towards safe movies for global audiences.

For global audiences? Sure I guess I might buy that argument. The 'safe' movie being new? Don't really buy that. And are the two really connected? Big budget blockbusters writing some scenes taking place in China so they can get Chinese funding, that's a new trend, absolutely. So long as we flock to big budget action set piece movies, they'll find ways of funding that.

Besides 'original' content can be crap too. And suffer from the same sins. I DL'ed the first ten minutes of 'Gods of Egypt,' and red x'ed that sucker. Horrible.

Give me the next X-men movie anyday over that 'original' schlock.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For global audiences? Sure I guess I might buy that argument. The 'safe' movie being new? Don't really buy that. And are the two really connected? Big budget blockbusters writing some scenes taking place in China so they can get Chinese funding, that's a new trend, absolutely. So long as we flock to big budget action set piece movies, they'll find ways of funding that.

Besides 'original' content can be crap too. And suffer from the same sins. I DL'ed the first ten minutes of 'Gods of Egypt,' and red x'ed that sucker. Horrible.

Give me the next X-men movie anyday over that 'original' schlock.
I'm not saying this era is in any way worse than previous eras of movies. Its just that the number of movies that come released with 'swag' to sell worldwide is way up and the number of romantic comedies and inventive new comedies is way down.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks & sounds terrible. It's a redbox movie for me. I was looking forward to the movie till the trailer & plot came out. Then meh.

The movie should have started out as a quasi-sequel not a reboot.

Why don't studios remake terrible movies instead of classics? If the Big Trouble in Little China reboot with The Rock gets green lit, look for me on the news as the next theater shooter.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying this era is in any way worse than previous eras of movies. Its just that the number of movies that come released with 'swag' to sell worldwide is way up and the number of romantic comedies and inventive new comedies is way down.

I bet if you did the math on the rom-com's you might be surprised. Hollywood markets WAAAY more to women nowadays.

You're talking toy tie-ins?

Because I was on board hating that when the fucking Ewoks came out.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hollywood does a remake for 2 reasons

1: They think they can make money off it and it'll sell that's the most important thing

2: They want a new generation to experience what people of the original felt like at the time. Sure you could watch the original but kids of 2015 probably can't relate to what kids of 1985 could of. Hollywood remakes movies because they want to draw in a new audience.

Hollywood doesn't remake a movie for the 40 year old guy who loved the original they remake it for the 9 year old boy who's never seen it and might enjoy a brand new adaptation.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why couldn't they just make a movie where the story is supposed to have an all female cast? It looks like the type of movie I'd fall asleep watching and when I woke up I wouldn't care about watching what I missed.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet if you did the math on the rom-com's you might be surprised. Hollywood markets WAAAY more to women nowadays.

You're talking toy tie-ins?

Because I was on board hating that when the fucking Ewoks came out.

No big special effects budget for rom-coms either. If you luck into one that's a big hit it's almost all profit.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if I said, ok lets go remake Citizen Kane, The Godfather or 12 Angry Men, you still say great idea?

You may have picked a poor example with that one though. I mean, it's already been redone a number of times and performed on a jillion stages with a kajillion different casts.

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if I said, ok lets go remake Citizen Kane, The Godfather or 12 Angry Men, you still say great idea?

They would remake Citizen Kane in a heartbeat if it would make money. Problem is, by today's standards it's not that good of a movie. It was groundbreaking in its time, but more for its technical innovation than the story.

They sort of did remake the Godfather. It's the shitshow called Godfather 3. A pure profit play that sullied the reputation of 1 and 2.

12 Angry Men has been remade. One time with Tony Danza. Ayyy Ohhh

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may have picked a poor example with that one though. I mean, it's already been redone a number of times and performed on a jillion stages with a kajillion different casts.
They would remake Citizen Kane in a heartbeat if it would make money. Problem is, by today's standards it's not that good of a movie. It was groundbreaking in its time, but more for its technical innovation than the story.

They sort of did remake the Godfather. It's the shitshow called Godfather 3. A pure profit play that sullied the reputation of 1 and 2.

12 Angry Men has been remade. One time with Tony Danza. Ayyy Ohhh
was redone(and it sucked)-you don't remember Tony Danzas epic performance?
Have not seen the remake but my point was it isn't something that is an original concept anymore, so to remake it is dumb. The fact that you guys are saying it was bad confirms that point to me.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have not seen the remake but my point was it isn't something that is an original concept anymore, so to remake it is dumb. The fact that you guys are saying it was bad confirms that point to me.

The Henry Fonda movie was a "remake" of sorts too though, it was adapted from the Emmy winning teleplay which was in turn also adapted for the stage (making the movie actually the 2nd time that the idea had been recycled).