• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Highlander Reboot

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a Highlander reboot in early development. Henry Cavil used to be attached (presumably to play Conner), but he left the project earlier this week. Reportedly, Chris Hemsworth has replaced him as the lead.

This looks like it will be a movie and not a series. Too bad. The only good movie from the original franchise was the first movie. But the series was really good and could do very well in a reboot (improved budget and being able to delve deeper into the universe of the Watchers and maybe play with the origin of the immortals).

Coily1

Reported to Moderḁtors
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,007.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a Highlander reboot in early development. Henry Cavil used to be attached (presumably to play Conner), but he left the project earlier this week. Reportedly, Chris Hemsworth has replaced him as the lead.

This looks like it will be a movie and not a series. Too bad. The only good movie from the original franchise was the first movie. But the series was really good and could do very well in a reboot (improved budget and being able to delve deeper into the universe of the Watchers and maybe play with the origin of the immortals).
Well, it’s not hard to out-act Christopher Lambert. But he worked well into the campiness and high concept of it all.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been doing a rewatch of the original series over the last month or so (I guess since I posted this thread).

The show has not aged well at all. The acting, the writing, the production value…. All cringey.

But the concept is solid, and in theory, I would be very much in favor of a modern day reboot. But then I think about what said reboot would actually be like, and I think maybe we need to wait another 15-20 years. Anything that “Hollywood” touches today turns to absolute crap.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it would be better if the main guy was a normal looking guy.
Not some buff badass looking guy

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it would be better if the main guy was a normal looking guy.
Not some buff badass looking guy
I would expect them to cast Laverne Cox or Danai Gurira as the Highlander.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Loved the first one but the other movies were so bad they almost ruined the first one in retrospect. Great soundtrack as well

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loved the first one but the other movies were so bad they almost ruined the first one in retrospect. Great soundtrack as well
I rewatched Highlander 2 a few years back, not believing it could possibly be as bad as it’s rep or my memory of it dictated.

I was wrong. It wasnt laughingly bad, it was so bad it made my angry. It is legit a serious contender for worst movie ever made.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would expect them to cast Laverne Cox or Danai Gurira as the Highlander.
I was thinking Jonathan Rhys Meyers or some normal build irish or scottish actor.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking Jonathan Rhys Meyers or some normal build irish or scottish actor.
In all seriousness…

Rhys Meyers looks familiar, but I am not overly familiar with him. If he were able to pull off the sword play, I would be totally fine with him (or someone like him) playing Connor (or Duncan, or Quintin, or whatever MacLeod they decide to go with). Lamber and Paul were both accomplished swordsmen when they headed up the franchise. Even Peter Wingfield (Methos) was a certified stuntman, specializing in swordplay, in order to make the character more believable.

But I doubt Hollywood (or Atlanta, or Vancouver, or whatever) would give the character that level of authenticity if the series were redone today. I genuinely believe they would completely abandon the MacLeod clan and do something like Cox or Gurira as the lead. In a movie, apparently Hemsworth is currently attached, so there would be hope for that. Though I am not certain he would be able to pull off the swordplay.