• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Getting the Roster Down to 23.

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Lou has shown his hand a bit, and most thankfully, it appears he is done with the pure enforcer goon we all love (err, hate). Barch is gone via trade. Cam is going to the AHL or even better, another team.

However, the Devils still have 15(F) 8(D) 2(G). That's 25 players and they need to be down to 23 by tomorrow at 3PM.

Here's the easiest way to do it without actually needing to really move any more players.

Let's assume that you don't want to risk Urbom, Teds, or JJ to waivers. Technically they can't be put on them in time for them to clear by tomorrow evening. (They would have needed to be listed today like Cam was.)

Easiest solution:

Elias OR Jagr --> Goes to IR since they're both currently nursing lingering soreness.
Larsson--> Temporarily assigned to Albany. His ELC makes him the ONLY waiver exempt player on the roster right now. This lets the Devils "assign" him to Albany even though there's no chance he actually plays there. This does let the Devils buy some more time, and puts them in a better spot for sneaking guys like Teds and Urbom through waivers after tomorrow's deadline.

With a combination of those 2 factors above, They'd be at 23 and not risk anyone at least temporarily.

Of course Lou could make some trade tomorrow that makes everything I said irrelevant.

Oh yeah, the season's almost here!:yahoo:

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
that does seem like the most logical way to do things. or lets move a d man!

i was watching some football yesterday and saw a clip of kane going backhand on someone i was like wow i've missed hockey and i didn't even know it til now!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Larsson gets assigned to Albany does that keep him out for the opener?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
per fire & ice, potential lines?

Forwards:
Ryane Clowe-Patrik Elias-Damien Brunner
Rostislav Olesz-Travis Zajac-Michael Ryder;
Adam Henrique-Andrei Loktionov-Dainius Zubrus;
Ryan Carter-Stephen Gionta-Steve Bernier;
Mattias Tedenby-Jacob Josefson-Jaromir Jagr..

Defensemen:
Bryce Salvador-Marek Zidlicky;
Andy Greene-Adam Larsson,
Anton Volchenkov-Peter Harrold;
Alex Urbom-Mark Fayne.

Goaltenders; Martin Brodeur, Cory Schneider

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously it won't happen but can't we just let Harrold attempt to clear waivers? Is he that hot a commodity that he'll get picked up? And if he does will anybody miss him?

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I understand that Larsson being sent down would only be temporary but I don't want to start with that again this year. The guy needs to be in the top 4 and playing 20+ mins a night. I don't want the potential leader of our D for years to come to have his learning curve plateaued in order to keep Joe Nobody on as the 8th D man of the team.

Jagr to IR, risk losing a Harrold boom we're good.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Larsson gets assigned to Albany does that keep him out for the opener?

It's a complicated question:
Theoretically, they could keep him out, but I highly doubt it.

By FAR the Most Likely: He wont even miss a practice with the team. The reason for doing this is since all the teams need to get down to 23 players by today, if you absolutely had to put one of the above guys on waivers, there would be less teams with an open spot on their 23 man roster to claim him after today's deadline. "Sending" Adam to the AHL basically just buys the Devils a bit more time if they want to go through with a trade, etc, and most likely make whoever they waive less in danger of being claimed. As soon as you make the trade or Urbom/Teds/Gio clears waivers we have an open spot and he's back in the opening night lineup.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Also, I understand that Larsson being sent down would only be temporary but I don't want to start with that again this year. The guy needs to be in the top 4 and playing 20+ mins a night. I don't want the potential leader of our D for years to come to have his learning curve plateaued in order to keep Joe Nobody on as the 8th D man of the team.

Jagr to IR, risk losing a Harrold boom we're good.

He won't actually go to Albany, it's just a BS workaround with the waiver. You can "assign" him to albany and he'll never even leave NJ or miss a practice, etc.

Only reason you couldn't/wouldn't send Harrold down is Lou said he's not comfortable with a guy on a one way contract playing in the AHL. I don't know if that's just his personal loyalty to the player/honoring a deal he made (A 1-Way contract), or an ownership thing or what. It's not like we're short on the cap space. Remember you can't bury a contract in the AHL like you used to be able to.

I don't think Harrold is even that bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sucks that our #1 pick(4th overall) can't even be a consensus player to keep on the 23... Larsson just needs to play.

I'm ready to move forward with Urbom, can't stay in the past or remain in mediocrity... if Harrold has to go, then go... what are we missing exactly?

and just boot Zids for gods sake lol

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
sucks that our #1 pick(4th overall) can't even be a consensus player to keep on the 23... Larsson just needs to play.

I'm ready to move forward with Urbom, can't stay in the past or remain in mediocrity... if Harrold has to go, then go... what are we missing exactly?

and just boot Zids for gods sake lol

Just to clarify, "assigning" him to albany really has nothing to do with him being a lock on the team. It's just that since he's still on the ELC they can use that as a slight advantage to help keep other players safe. ZERO chance he leaves NJ.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to clarify, "assigning" him to albany really has nothing to do with him being a lock on the team. It's just that since he's still on the ELC they can use that as a slight advantage to help keep other players safe. ZERO chance he leaves NJ.

I get that... my post was more that the top D prospect we drafted is still being dangled as a decoy to buy time rather than saying he's place on the defense is at X without contest...

Harold n Zids are occupying our youngsters places IMO

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that... my post was more that the top D prospect we drafted is still being dangled as a decoy to buy time rather than saying he's place on the defense is at X without contest...

I'm with you on this. Larsson should not be a healthy scratch at all this season. If he is it means he's either completely dogging it and pissed off PDB or who knows what. But he should not be sitting just because it's his turn to sit, or some random reason like that. He should be a mainstay, no question.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like for Cam to stay in Albany. Who knows? We could get into a Buffalo/Toronto scenario where we get bullied and we need a guy like Cam for our next game against the team that bullied us.

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Disagree, Harold is and should be the 7th D man once things get cleared up. You do not want a kid sitting in the press box night after night as a healthy scratch. He's perfect for the role because he doesn't need playing time to develop (he is what he is) and can also sub as a forward if need be.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Elias to the IR and Tedenby allowed to sit out due to some new weird rule in the CBA that allows guys that are under a certain number of games to not count as a roster spot if they're nursing an injury or something? I dunno but we're good.

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Elias to the IR and Tedenby allowed to sit out due to some new weird rule in the CBA that allows guys that are under a certain number of games to not count as a roster spot if they're nursing an injury or something? I dunno but we're good.

magic

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just waiting on the fine