• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Geno Smith - another mistake in the making

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
From KFFL:

Geno Smith: Another Jets mistake in the making :: KFFL - Article

A few days ago I was chatting with my KFFL brethren and said that I felt New York Jets quarterback Geno Smith was throwing up one red flag after another about his maturity. I noted that maybe Smith was mentally weak or immature ... I wasn't precisely sure and couldn't put a finger on it.

It started with several instances of him pouting on the sidelines at West Virginia when his team was down big, but that is easy to misconstrue. Body language can be tough to read, and everyone reacts differently in the face of adversity. I allowed that stuff to slide.

Then, he criticized talent evaluators and pundits on the eve of the NFL Draft. That, alone, is not out of the realm of understandable. Prospects feel an immense amount of pressure leading up to the NFL Draft without having to hear their faults from every direction on television, the radio, and across the Internet. However, every highly rated or heavily scrutinized prospect does not respond in the manner in which Smith chose. His reaction was telling.

The final straw was Smith firing his agents. A quote from aneye-opening and yet affirming article by Yahoo! Sports' Jason Cole sums up my feelings in a clear way.

"His biggest problem is that he doesn't know what he doesn't know," said a league executive, who spent extensive time assessing Smith before the draft. "I'm not sure he knows how to take instruction because he pretty much wouldn't listen or talk to our coaches … he's talented. He can sling it, he can fit it into tight spots, he can do a lot of things and I think he wants to be good. But you can't tell him anything right now. He's tuned out because he thinks he's got it all down."

Does it get much more damning than that?!?!

If Smith cannot handle the simple criticisms of his game, his fall out of the first round, and being behind in a game without responding in an immature manner, why should I believe he can hold up to the rapid New York media? Simply put: I don't, and he won't. That market requires a strong leader, something Mark Sanchez is not, which has been part of his downfall.

The Jets' brain trust made a mistake, and it is going to setback their franchise even further for another few years. On the bright side, he won't cost them a lot of money. I'd rather spend a little more now and not deal with a team going in reverse, any day of the week.

The irony of the situation is that the Jets team hasn't learned from the Sanchez experiment, and Jets fans attending the draft largely were happy with this ill-conceived selection.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Smith cannot handle the simple criticisms of his game, his fall out of the first round, and being behind in a game without responding in an immature manner, why should I believe he can hold up to the rapid New York media? Simply put: I don't, and he won't. That market requires a strong leader, something Mark Sanchez is not, which has been part of his downfall.

I guess one could say the rabid New York media is rapid, too.

I'm glad that they didn't take the other Smith (Alex). Alex is mentally tougher, but there are a lot of problems with the Jets. Even if he did alright to well, they'll want to get a new QB with a new coach, regardless.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I HATE when people get upset that a guy looks mad on the sideline when his team is getting their ass kicked. Id be fucking irate too if I were Geno watching my defense give up 50+ when I was dropping 40+ on teams. If he were laughng and carrying on we would say he wasnt taking the game seriously but since he looks pissed hes "pouting"???? Fuck that shit. Here are some facts:

In his 3 years at starter Smith threw 97 TD's and 20 INT's
In his 3 years as starter he NEVER threw for less than 65% completion percentage.
In his 3 years as starter he went 5-4 against ranked teams. Not great you say?? Sure but in those 9 games Smith threw 38 TD's and 7 INT's, he averaged 438 yard per game passing, he led his teams to 44.5 ppg in those 9 games ( while his defense gave up 42 ppg).
In the 4 LOSSES vs ranked teams Smiths offense still put up 37.5 ppg while his D gave up 46.5 ppg and Smith threw for 14 TD's and 4 INTs in the 4 LOSSES.

- Guy is a beast pure and simple. Did he sometimes look pissy because he was dropping 49 points on teams and LOSING??? Fuck yeah he did and I dont blame him one bit. Trent Dilfer had Geno at his Elite 11 QB camp last year as an instructor and said Geno was a pleasure, that he learned the entire playbook the campers were supposed to know in less than ONE day ( despite the fact that the instructors didnt have to know it). Ill take an ex NFL Super Bowl winning QB's word over some pencil pushing wannabes in a heartbeat. Guy probably was disinterested because they were asking him BS questions.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guy probably was disinterested because they were asking him BS questions.

Reports have it that Nolan picked Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers because Rodgers questioned why Nolan was having him do certain workouts. (There was more to it, but that figured in.) I'm sure this is an exaggeration, but someone said it was like jumping jacks. So, I hope it wasn't disinterest but rather bad habits that he'll learn he doesn't have time for.

I'm sure you like Nolan as your DC, but as a HC, he was so controlling that it rubbed some guys the wrong way, not just players. He is good at what he's doing now.

As to the rest of your post, I see it, but there are other ways to deal with things and college has such a long history that there are good examples and bad examples of what to do when one aspect of your team is letting you down when you are performing well. I don't think it was him looking mad about losing, but rather defeated or given up, which I understand is hard not to show, but that's what they are looking for.

Also, people want to see their QBs picking up their team in those situations, encouraging whatever good that D, for example, is doing. I don't have that personality and some QBs don't. Some succeed anyway, some don't. There are more ways to skin a cat, but the media doesn't like the pouting method.

Unfair? I suppose, but the teams that are investing money have to look for what they believe gives them the best chance and who is best. If that's a criteria, no matter how unfair it is, you have to try to convince them that you have it.

Last edited by a moderator:

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he will be a bust. His two biggest problems are that he really believes he is elite when he is not and, as he showed by firing his agent when he wasn't selected where he thought he should be, he has a penchant for blaming others for his problems instead of working to correct them. he will be another Akili Smith.

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I HATE when people get upset that a guy looks mad on the sideline when his team is getting their ass kicked. Id be fucking irate too if I were Geno watching my defense give up 50+ when I was dropping 40+ on teams. If he were laughng and carrying on we would say he wasnt taking the game seriously but since he looks pissed hes "pouting"???? Fuck that shit. Here are some facts:

In his 3 years as starter he NEVER threw for less than 65% completion percentage.
In his 3 years as starter he went 5-4 against ranked teams. Not great you say?? Sure but in those 9 games Smith threw 38 TD's and 7 INT's, he averaged 438 yard per game passing, he led his teams to 44.5 ppg in those 9 games ( while his defense gave up 42 ppg).
In the 4 LOSSES vs ranked teams Smiths offense still put up 37.5 ppg while his D gave up 46.5 ppg and Smith threw for 14 TD's and 4 INTs in the 4 LOSSES.

- Guy is a beast pure and simple. Did he sometimes look pissy because he was dropping 49 points on teams and LOSING??? Fuck yeah he did and I dont blame him one bit. Trent Dilfer had Geno at his Elite 11 QB camp last year as an instructor and said Geno was a pleasure, that he learned the entire playbook the campers were supposed to know in less than ONE day ( despite the fact that the instructors didnt have to know it). Ill take an ex NFL Super Bowl winning QB's word over some pencil pushing wannabes in a heartbeat. Guy probably was disinterested because they were asking him BS questions.

Guy is a Bust Pure and Simple.

1/3 of every pass he threw in College Was either completed or incomplete BEHIND the Line of Scrimmage.

He is the Black Timmy Chang.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
He is the Black Timmy Chang.

What a funny coincidence! That's what people call me! Except I'm white, I've never played quarterback and I've never been arrested. How did I get that nickname again?

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a funny coincidence! That's what people call me! Except I'm white, I've never played quarterback and I've never been arrested. How did I get that nickname again?

Waht are you half Irish, half Italian, half Mexican...?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Seems like he has a Cam Newton type of front running personalty.

He'll need to clean that up if he doesn't want to wind up a bust because it's the NFL and there is a lot of adversity to overcome in it especially at QB.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Geno Smith is a 3rd down choker. You're showing fluff.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Seems like he has a Cam Newton type of front running personalty.

He'll need to clean that up if he doesn't want to wind up a bust because it's the NFL and there is a lot of adversity to overcome in it especially at QB.

no question.

you can't succeed - really succeed - unless your teammates follow your lead.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the right hands Geno Smith would've turned out to be a stud, but I don't trust the Jets organization to make anything worthwhile out of him.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no question.

you can't succeed - really succeed - unless your teammates follow your lead.

Guy had numerous teammates with him day 1 at the draft that were there to support him. None of the Mountaineer players have said one bad word about him. All this comes froms some report that a guy wrote saying Geno was a "bad leader" when from all actual accounts of the guy from people who really know him would say the opposite. I guess we'll find out but his numbers and the love his teammamtes have for him would tell me he will be fine. I could care less if a 22 year old looks disinterested when a scout/assistant coach is asking him questions about his family life or that he looks pissed when his D gives up 50 and his team loses 50-49. Id be pisssed too.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Guy had numerous teammates with him day 1 at the draft that were there to support him. None of the Mountaineer players have said one bad word about him. All this comes froms some report that a guy wrote saying Geno was a "bad leader" when from all actual accounts of the guy from people who really know him would say the opposite. I guess we'll find out but his numbers and the love his teammamtes have for him would tell me he will be fine. I could care less if a 22 year old looks disinterested when a scout/assistant coach is asking him questions about his family life or that he looks pissed when his D gives up 50 and his team loses 50-49. Id be pisssed too.

yeah ok, we can only wait and see? not that its a big deal to me either way,

its just two people's opinion (one AFC, one NFC) that might be 'sensationalized' now?

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or that he looks pissed when his D gives up 50 and his team loses 50-49. Id be pisssed too.

I watched Geno play twice losing both times to SU....it wasn't a game.

SUs game plan was blitz, blitz, blitz and move the DB's up on the line. Geno couldn't handle the pressure or make the quick reads at the same time.

By the third period he was so f'd up in the head, most of the second half was a joke. He was no leader in either of those games.

If Geno goes up early, he is good the entire game. But have a team get in his face early and not let up...once he is three and out a couple of times....he falls apart.

Geno doesn't always lose 50 - 49.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could care less if a 22 year old looks disinterested when a scout/assistant coach is asking him questions about his family life or that he looks pissed when his D gives up 50 and his team loses 50-49. Id be pisssed too.

If he's disinterested in a major interview that could make him millions, I do think there's something wrong. Obviously it's not football-wise wrong, but just WTF, get over it, answer the damn questions PR-wise, look interested, go back to your hotel and roll your eyes, twitter, or whatnot. Priorities, man. You know coaches, even if they pick you, can influence your career.