• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gary 'The Glove' Payton: The NBA is soft!

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL @ teenagers telling me "they didn't play defense back then. bull SHIT!!!

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said it a thousand times before and I'll say it a thousand times again (But maybe it's too easy for me as a Pacers fan) -- But the league pussified itself to no return in the aftermath of the brawl in Detroit.

Mr $tern basically decided he didn't like physical, hard-fought basketball and just found it easier when stars ruled the NBA landscape (like when he was spoiled during Jordan's prime).

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL @ teenagers telling me "they didn't play defense back then. bull SHIT!!!

Lol at an old man like you hanging out with teenagers.:lol:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best one is when Chief clearly punches Laimbeer in the face twice. (87 playoffs) The refs didn't even call a foul on Laimbeer.

That is not basketball. I have a hard time understanding why people cling to the bad boy Pistons as some type of symbol for how the game should be played. I am all for physical play, but there is no place for clotheslining a driving player just to prevent a score. Make a basketball play, give a hard foul on a play for the ball, but there is no place for the cheap shots. If you want that, go watch the WWE.

I also don't understand why past stars feel the need to call out the current generation. The game is different today. Better in some ways, worse in others. Get over it.

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is not basketball. I have a hard time understanding why people cling to the bad boy Pistons as some type of symbol for how the game should be played. I am all for physical play, but there is no place for clotheslining a driving player just to prevent a score. Make a basketball play, give a hard foul on a play for the ball, but there is no place for the cheap shots. If you want that, go watch the WWE.

I also don't understand why past stars feel the need to call out the current generation. The game is different today. Better in some ways, worse in others. Get over it.

No kidding, people glorify this shit and then scream and bitch about Dellavedova "being dirty" non-stop. Make up your fucking minds

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The game

Exactly. It is simple. The game has changed. These old fucks need to get over it. So sick of them

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The video "wasn't available".

The NBA is soft. GP is tied at #1 for all time 1st team NBA all defense teams. And he's right, he would get fined. But a lot of these former players are mad because the game they played is gone.

As far as defense being played today.. There isn't any "physical" defense being played until about April. I'll agree with one of the previous posters - the league has become pussified thanks to the former commish Stern. Frankly, sometimes I have a hard time watching NBA games early in the season. But let's think about it for second.. With the younger guys coming out of high school and then 1 and done's, along with our current society.. A big brawl today would end up with someone being shot.

Different game today no doubt, but some of the games in playoffs last year Cavs/Bulls and Cavs/Dubs were pretty dam good. I loved a FEW of the games where the refs actually let them play.

I blame the commishes and I blame the refs.

Last edited:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The video "wasn't available".

The NBA is soft. GP is tied at #1 for all time 1st team NBA all defense teams. And he's right, he would get fined. But a lot of these former players are mad because the game they played is gone.

As far as defense being played today.. There isn't any "physical" defense being played until about April. I'll agree with one of the previous posters - the league has become pussified thanks to the former commish Stern. Frankly, sometimes I have a hard time watching NBA games early in the season. But let's think about it for second.. With the younger guys coming out of high school and then 1 and done's, along with our current society.. A big brawl today would end up with someone being shot.

Different game today no doubt, but some of the games in playoffs last year Cavs/Bulls and Cavs/Dubs were pretty dam good. I loved a FEW of the games where the refs actually let them play.

I blame the commishes and I blame the refs.

Pacers/Heat was pretty physical on Monday. Thought it was Dolphins/Colts for a moment

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol: @pussy millenials crying about how "the game has changed."

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We're not crying. Just stating the obvious. We know the game was more physical (that wasn't always a good thing) back then. No need to keep bringing it up.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is crying.

Exactly. It is simple. The game has changed. These old fucks need to get over it. So sick of them

Just because the game has changed, doesn't mean it's a better game. I agree that the physicality got a bit out of hand in the 90's, but the pendulum has swung back too far the other way.

Part of the reason that the 80's is considered by many to be "the Golden Age of the NBA" is because it had a pretty close to perfect mix of both physical and wide open play.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is crying.

Just because the game has changed, doesn't mean it's a better game. I agree that the physicality got a bit out of hand in the 90's, but the pendulum has swung back too far the other way.

Part of the reason that the 80's is considered by many to be "the Golden Age of the NBA" is because it had a pretty close to perfect mix of both physical and wide open play.

Understandable but the complaining (from former players) is annoying. The game has changed and is never going back to what it was in the 90's. It is what it is

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Understandable but the complaining (from former players) is annoying. The game has changed and is never going back to what it was in the 90's. It is what it is

I doubt it will get back to how it was in the 90's and I wouldn't want to see that. But I could see it getting back to closer to where it was in the '80's. You had a lot of wide open, fast break type basketball. But there was also a "no layups" rule as well.

What's funny to me is that guys complain about the antics of guys like Curry, Draymond, Harden, Lebron, etc. and then complain about the very style of basketball that would prevent that.

You didn't see guys doing much of that kind of thing in the '80's and especially the '90's because they'd pay for it on their next drive to the hoop. Now, if they got clobbered for that stuff, the guy who clobbered them could be looking at getting kicked out of the game and suspended.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can blame the "softness" of the NBA on one event: Malice at the Palace.

After that occurred, the NBA took every step to "clean up" the game in order to avoid future outbursts like the one that happened there. Prior to that there was some flopping prevalent but hard fouls were still being given. Once Artest went into the stands, it set off a chain reaction.

1) It shed the NBA in a poor light. Casual fans shifted their opinion on the players of the game. This could have affected the popularity of the game and overall growth. The NBA had to take steps to remedy this.

2) The Brawl put the NBA at risk for future lawsuits because of what happened. When the bottom line came into play, Stern knew what he had to do.

3) The NBA took a hard stance on contact, to avoid incidents from even occurring. They instituted the flagrant 1 and flagrant 2 fouls to let the refs have some discretion and more in game control of the players. Knowing that the flagrant 2 is subjective, the players don't have much leeway to commit a hard foul with the line being so thin at either being a common foul, flagrant 1 or flagrant 2 and getting ejected.

4) Fines and Suspensions have increased for penalties. With the amount the players are being paid, being suspended without pay is huge. Back in just 2000 when Chris Childs punched Kobe in the face, he was only suspended 2 games and fined $5,000.00. If that incident happens today you're looking at a 7-10 game suspension which could cost upwards of 6 figures in salary. Blake Griffin got suspended 4 games without pay for something that didn't even happen on the court. In real dollar figures that's going to cost him upwards of $878,000.00.

It's all your fault Detroit fans.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^ And throw in when Gil Arenas brought a gun to practice.

Let's face it. A lot of these kids in the NBA are young and from the hood. Thuggish? Yah some are. So while we wish it were a bit more physical, the NBA is terrified of the NBA becoming a "thug league" and at losing the thug-hating audience.

Hockey is still physical. Still has some fights. The refs in the NBA are so overbearing that they don't come close to allowing a fight/brawl. And now with the video at the scorers table, they call a flagrant if you swing your elbow at someone.

The late 80s and early 90s were stout. Too physical? Maybe a bit, but I don't think so. It was just.. expect to be hammered if you come down the lane. That's how it should be.

Our whole society has become pussified.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

First off, I am no millennial. I was born in the 70s. Second, I agree 80s basketball was awesome, but then the Pistons had to go and ruin it. There were far too many copycat teams in the mid 90s and the games just got ugly. If you want to blame somebody for today's game being soft, look no further than Laimbeer, Mahorn and their friends. The NBA had to legislate rule changes because the game was becoming unwatchable in the mid 90s.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^ And throw in when Gil Arenas brought a gun to practice.

Let's face it. A lot of these kids in the NBA are young and from the hood. Thuggish? Yah some are. So while we wish it were a bit more physical, the NBA is terrified of the NBA becoming a "thug league" and at losing the thug-hating audience.

Hockey is still physical. Still has some fights. The refs in the NBA are so overbearing that they don't come close to allowing a fight/brawl. And now with the video at the scorers table, they call a flagrant if you swing your elbow at someone.

The late 80s and early 90s were stout. Too physical? Maybe a bit, but I don't think so. It was just.. expect to be hammered if you come down the lane. That's how it should be.

Our whole society has become pussified.

Why should fighting be okay in the NBA? That is crazy. If somebody takes a cheap shot on me, I am coming up swinging. There is no place for that stuff in basketball.