• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Garoppolo: Stay or Go?

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's obvious that this season is a complete implosion due to injuries, Covid and whatever will be thrown at SF. It's probably now the most discussed aspect in regards to 2021.....keep JG or move on.

I've had the pleasure of watching a lot of film on the guy, starting in 2017 when SF got him from NE. So much good stuff on tape - quick release, looking off defenders, coolness in the pocket...quickly reads/beats any coverage - it's all there....and here we are. It's not the ability of the guy, it's the availability. His 2017 gave Niner fans hope, but his '18 sunk with the injury. The '19, his first full year and he did everything asked, and more to establish himself as a legit top 10 QB, and then '20 happens, and it appears his season is over due to another injury.

As much as I'd like to see him have a legit chance to take another step, I believe it's time the Niners truly consider another route. He just cannot escape injury, and so much depends on the health (let alone the actual talent) at the position. The way it's going for SF for the rest of the season, they may be looking at a top 10 pick, and the QB class this year looks good. Lawrence and Fields are out of reach, but Lance and Wilson look impressive.

What say you? Dump JG outright and try to sign multiple Niner FA's next year? Re-do his contract to a prove-it deal, and still get a QB in the later rounds? Go balls out and do whatever we can to get the guy in the draft next April?

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matthew Stafford was a China Doll his first few years, but he has become more stable in later years. OK, Detroit still sucks, but Stafford has gotten over ending every season being wheeled out on a gurney.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's obvious that this season is a complete implosion due to injuries, Covid and whatever will be thrown at SF. It's probably now the most discussed aspect in regards to 2021.....keep JG or move on.

I've had the pleasure of watching a lot of film on the guy, starting in 2017 when SF got him from NE. So much good stuff on tape - quick release, looking off defenders, coolness in the pocket...quickly reads/beats any coverage - it's all there....and here we are. It's not the ability of the guy, it's the availability. His 2017 gave Niner fans hope, but his '18 sunk with the injury. The '19, his first full year and he did everything asked, and more to establish himself as a legit top 10 QB, and then '20 happens, and it appears his season is over due to another injury.

As much as I'd like to see him have a legit chance to take another step, I believe it's time the Niners truly consider another route. He just cannot escape injury, and so much depends on the health (let alone the actual talent) at the position. The way it's going for SF for the rest of the season, they may be looking at a top 10 pick, and the QB class this year looks good. Lawrence and Fields are out of reach, but Lance and Wilson look impressive.

What say you? Dump JG outright and try to sign multiple Niner FA's next year? Re-do his contract to a prove-it deal, and still get a QB in the later rounds? Go balls out and do whatever we can to get the guy in the draft next April?

Yep, very tough decision to make.

I feel we'll still have a SB caliber team next season. Everyone returns healthy and the SB hangover is gone. I think the 49ers can get their 'mojo' back so it'll be difficult to change QB now. A rookie QB may or may not be better 'long term', but odds are high he'll go thru 'growing pains' year 1. A rookie QB going thru this ruins your overall chance at a SB run. Shannahan's offense isn't easy to watch, so imagine a rookie trying to learn all of it?

Soooooooooooooo.....at this point in time i'll say keep JG and use that pick on an LT or speed rusher. Granted JG has "lapses" and stretches of inconsistency, but he has enough to win the SB....should've won the SB.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumping Dee Ford would be just as high if not higher priority to me.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matthew Stafford was a China Doll his first few years, but he has become more stable in later years. OK, Detroit still sucks, but Stafford has gotten over ending every season being wheeled out on a gurney.

While true, there are some major differences. First being that Stafford's injuries came at the very beginning of his career. He was the #1 pick/saviour of the franchise, who signed at that time the largest rookie contract in history. Detroit had no choice, and really no reason to give up on a guy they felt could be a great franchise-type player. Garoppolo, while playing wise is probably in the early stages of his career, is still gonna be 30 years old next year, and SF can easily dump his salary if they chose to. He can also get better, but he's much closer to his ceiling than the potential that was Stafford in 2009.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While true, there are some major differences. First being that Stafford's injuries came at the very beginning of his career. He was the #1 pick/saviour of the franchise, who signed at that time the largest rookie contract in history. Detroit had no choice, and really no reason to give up on a guy they felt could be a great franchise-type player. Garoppolo, while playing wise is probably in the early stages of his career, is still gonna be 30 years old next year, and SF can easily dump his salary if they chose to. He can also get better, but he's much closer to his ceiling than the potential that was Stafford in 2009.
Maybe a trade with the Bears, home town kid and all. Tribusky is a bust in Chicago, but watching Foles run for his life or just get tackled about the time he gets the ball, it could be more the lines fault rather than Tribusky's or Foles.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The O-line has been inconsistent too, if they can improve on consistency, JG can do the job.

Granted, we likely can't afford Trent Williams so that will be problematic. We MIGHT spend a 1st rounder on an LT, but who knows at this point?

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get any of the talk about Jimmy G not being the 49ers QB next year. He's as good if not better than any of the names being floated to replace him. We nearly won the Super Bowl last year with Jimmy G. If not for all the injuries this year there is nothing to suggest we wouldn't be in the hunt this year. I would actually need to see Jimmy G show decline in his game before replacing him. It's hard to judge anything after the ankle sprain because it was clear he wasn't the same QB from 2017 and 2019. You watch tape from then and see the quick release and tight spiral, and then watch 2020 after the injury and tell me it's the same QB.

If he comes back healthy and still struggles to throw like his old self then you start to make plans to change your QB.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The season and a half he was healthy, I thought he was very good; especially comparing him to what we had the previous years before him. I think that, for some reason, Shanahan does quite not trust him though. And I think because of that he lacks confidence at times. I'd like to keep him but I think Shanahan will pull the plug if he has a viable option as a replacement.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, very tough decision to make.

I feel we'll still have a SB caliber team next season. Everyone returns healthy and the SB hangover is gone. I think the 49ers can get their 'mojo' back so it'll be difficult to change QB now. A rookie QB may or may not be better 'long term', but odds are high he'll go thru 'growing pains' year 1. A rookie QB going thru this ruins your overall chance at a SB run. Shannahan's offense isn't easy to watch, so imagine a rookie trying to learn all of it?

Soooooooooooooo.....at this point in time i'll say keep JG and use that pick on an LT or speed rusher. Granted JG has "lapses" and stretches of inconsistency, but he has enough to win the SB....should've won the SB.
That's a good point. This Super Bowl window is going to close quickly and we need an experienced QB in the short run. By the time a rookie is ready the window will have closed

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumping Dee Ford would be just as high if not higher priority to me.
Agreed. Ford just didn't work out. But its the jinx of the 49er free agent. Every free agent that comes to the Niners gets hurt. Ford, Alexander, Garoppolo, Richburg. Every one of them.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The O-line has been inconsistent too, if they can improve on consistency, JG can do the job.

Granted, we likely can't afford Trent Williams so that will be problematic. We MIGHT spend a 1st rounder on an LT, but who knows at this point?
It really hurts Garoppolo that the running game isn't there. Last year, Mostert, Coleman and Brieda were all very good but they are all gone as is Wilson

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get any of the talk about Jimmy G not being the 49ers QB next year. He's as good if not better than any of the names being floated to replace him. We nearly won the Super Bowl last year with Jimmy G. If not for all the injuries this year there is nothing to suggest we wouldn't be in the hunt this year. I would actually need to see Jimmy G show decline in his game before replacing him. It's hard to judge anything after the ankle sprain because it was clear he wasn't the same QB from 2017 and 2019. You watch tape from then and see the quick release and tight spiral, and then watch 2020 after the injury and tell me it's the same QB.

If he comes back healthy and still struggles to throw like his old self then you start to make plans to change your QB.

Agreed with most points. Here is the problem.

The Niners are gonna be up against the cap next year with the expected cap number to decrease, and with several key FA's to deal with. You bring JG back, and it's what? $26M or $27M on the books and most of those guys are gone. It's a no-brainer if Garoppolo is top 5 established....and he's definitely not that. It's unfortunate the way the league is set up as it is, but it's well known how teams long for that championship window while the rookie QB cap # is relatively low.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Keep JG, and likely TW is gone...among others.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Under the normal situation, the cap would be around $215M. Given the covid, it's gonna be around $175....a $40M difference. With the crippling contracts of Ford, Richburg, Ward, Armstead......should SF really sacrifice that and potentially more for a QB who may become a true difference maker? We're not sure that he's that guy right now. Should we shed those players for a guy who may take the next step, but be just as injured as he is able to play?

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed with most points. Here is the problem.

The Niners are gonna be up against the cap next year with the expected cap number to decrease, and with several key FA's to deal with. You bring JG back, and it's what? $26M or $27M on the books and most of those guys are gone. It's a no-brainer if Garoppolo is top 5 established....and he's definitely not that. It's unfortunate the way the league is set up as it is, but it's well known how teams long for that championship window while the rookie QB cap # is relatively low.

$26M is likely far less than it would take to sign a Free Agent better than Garoppolo. The only way to get better cheaper would be to get very lucky on Draft Night. I'm not opposed to losing every remaining game this year, but even doing that we've likely already won to many to beat out the Jets for the #1 pick.

Ford is the one we need to try to get rid of to save on the cap.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$26M is likely far less than it would take to sign a Free Agent better than Garoppolo. The only way to get better cheaper would be to get very lucky on Draft Night. I'm not opposed to losing every remaining game this year, but even doing that we've likely already won to many to beat out the Jets for the #1 pick.

Ford is the one we need to try to get rid of to save on the cap.

While SF may have next to zero chance at Trevor Lawrence, there are several other QB's coming out in the draft that will be enticing...Justin Fields, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance to name a few...