• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Garoppolo: Stay or Go?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We'll get a shot to see him in action in a month before the games count. I was happy they took a shot on Lance instead of going with Jones or Fields. The division is so damn competitive a little extra risk was warranted, imo.
Yes, he will get his reps including the regular season. I'm sure Shannahan will give him a package when deemed ready. Maybe in the red zone and short yardage, with his threat to run?

I thought Justin Fields was the obvious pick but ok, Lance apparently has more intangibles. Intangibles are huge and why Mac Jones was in the conversation.

Grant Cohn says Lance has accuracy issues?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is it 2021, what he does this season will say it all. my prediction, another injury and that pretty much does it for the career. Do hope I'm wrong. would love to see the guy become another stud Niner QB, not that we need anymore.
We'll take as many stud QB's as we can get.

That gives us the option of trading for better draft picks.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are you saying exactly, that Lance might not ever play?

"When" he's ready to play, he will play.
I’m saying it would not surprise me if he was a complete bust

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, he will get his reps including the regular season. I'm sure Shannahan will give him a package when deemed ready. Maybe in the red zone and short yardage, with his threat to run?

I thought Justin Fields was the obvious pick but ok, Lance apparently has more intangibles. Intangibles are huge and why Mac Jones was in the conversation.

Grant Cohn says Lance has accuracy issues?
Grant's podcast and associated videos on YouTube crack me up sometimes - they seem focused on the "drama" going on behind the scenes and less about the x's and o's. One thing is pretty obvious, based on his contact with insiders and what he saw in OTAs, though... Lance looked good (whatever that means given we're only talking about OTAs) and the team is impressed with his willingness to work and improve from practice to practice.

Cohn and others have mentioned accuracy - and if you go back to Lance's college footage, you can see what he's talking about on some of the mid-range throws when he isn't pressured. He does this "dip" with his throwing shoulder that folks think is affecting his accuracy when there isn't pressure. I'm no expert, so I have no idea - but that's what I've seen on the topic of accuracy. His deep ball is a thing of beauty, though.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF you're saying Writers are jumping too far, too fast, i certainly agree.

But fans jump much farther ahead and expect a ton more. :-)
It almost seems like they are trying to hard to justify this pick.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It almost seems like they are trying to hard to justify this pick.
Your opinion is fine but for me, what Writers are writing is what you'd expect from them. Writing about Lance, the trade, and expectations TODAY, is hard to do. If you were to write negative articles, who's going to read your stuff?

As a fan, i get there are no guarantees with rookies, especially rookie QB's. But unless JG gets injured before the season, Lance will be provided the best opportunity to transition. IF he doesn't pan out to what we expect, it won't be because he was forced into the line-up.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your opinion is fine but for me, what Writers are writing is what you'd expect from them. Writing about Lance, the trade, and expectations TODAY, is hard to do. If you were to write negative articles, who's going to read your stuff?

As a fan, i get there are no guarantees with rookies, especially rookie QB's. But unless JG gets injured before the season, Lance will be provided the best opportunity to transition. IF he doesn't pan out to what we expect, it won't be because he was forced into the line-up.
But saying "he's built to be the 49ers future QB" because he picked up a fumble and stayed with the play against another bush league team just seems silly. The hype is so great that they are making up stuff now like the title of this article.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
But saying "he's built to be the 49ers future QB" because he picked up a fumble and stayed with the play against another bush league team just seems silly. The hype is so great that they are making up stuff now like the title of this article.
Yes, Writers have to be more positive than negative even if this means OVER hyping. I get that some (not all) are over hyping but again, what do you expect at this point without TC or otherwise NOTHING to report from the field?

The far majority of readers are 49ers fans, why would we want to read "not surprised if Lance is a bust"?! Why would we want to read "we will lose to Seattle"? "JG will get hurt guaranteed", etc etc.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, Writers have to be more positive than negative even if this means OVER hyping. I get that some (not all) are over hyping but again, what do you expect at this point without TC or otherwise NOTHING to report from the field?

The far majority of readers are 49ers fans, why would we want to read "not surprised if Lance is a bust"?! Why would we want to read "we will lose to Seattle"? "JG will get hurt guaranteed", etc etc.
If there’s nothing to report then don’t report. Why just come up with nonsense?

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh... it's just a normal fluff piece. There are other articles out there proposing the "wait and see" approach given Lance's lack of experience with top-notch talent. As a fan, I'm looking forward to training camp and pre-season with more anticipation, if nothing else to see if he passes the eye ball test this early. We'll see.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh... it's just a normal fluff piece. There are other articles out there proposing the "wait and see" approach given Lance's lack of experience with top-notch talent. As a fan, I'm looking forward to training camp and pre-season with more anticipation, if nothing else to see if he passes the eye ball test this early. We'll see.
Should be interesting. When Garoppolo goes down around game two or three. We’ll see

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Don't write...........Whaaa.....................Writers have a job to write articles, that's their living. You can't leave portions of the sports page blank.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't write...........Whaaa.....................Writers have a job to write articles, that's their living. You can't leave portions of the sports page blank.
There are so many other topics and even different stories about Lance if that's all they can do; stories that at least make sense. Talk about his speed or his accuracy or his football acumen but don't tell us that picking up a fumbled snap and continuing the play means he "is the 49ers QB of the future" Its insulting.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish they would stop all this nonsense about Lance competing for the starting job. Its getting silly.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish they would stop all this nonsense about Lance competing for the starting job. Its getting silly.
The hype is unbelievable. I am pulling for Lance and there are alot of things to like but he hasn't even faced a real defense yet and I don't think he has even played in pads yet. It is good to get positive reports but it is just training camp. The NFL has been filled with training camp wonders who bomb once the real games start. I keep reminding people about even hall of famers like John Elway who are raving about his rookie training camp and how great he was and there was even super bowl talk and he flamed out his rookie season. Had to be benched. The same kind of hype was thrown around DeShone Kizer his rookie season and he is playing on his third team now.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as Garopollo goes, his salary is already accounted for this year. Behind Jimmy G is Rosen and Studfield. There are a number of people out there that think the 49ers should get rid of Jimmy G and just start Lance right away. Putting the season on a 20 year old rookie who was the least experienced college QB out of the first round and hasn't played football in over a year and has yet to take a real NFL snap is crazy. If Lance struggles or gets injured all they have is Rosen or Studfield. They are done. It would be one thing if the 49ers were playing for nothing but the future but this team wants to make a run at the Super Bowl this year.