• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Garoppolo: Stay or Go?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, prior to TC this was the narrative.....he'll need time to acclimate. To me the narrative hasn't changed despite Lance flashing his talent in TC.

Fans want to rush Lance into the game, AND expect top results. Is this realistic knowing his college experience?
Lance could possibly be the game one starter. Just way too much hype over OTAs.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"No. 1 is he has got to stay healthy," Theismann said. "That's the biggest thing. It's the only way you can get better. I can read a book on tennis, but I can't play Rafael Nadal, so you have to be out there doing it."

haaa, good stuff from Joe Thiesmann, on JG.

But this also applies to Lance in the sense he still needs to go thru 'Live Action'. We can't "annoint" Lance the game 1 starter when he has yet to experience ANY live action.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks JG is going to play one series and Lance will play for the remainder of the first half on Saturday against KC. Finally get to see the kid play some football!

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lance could possibly be the game one starter. Just way too much hype over OTAs.
Ha ha! Not a chance. he's never even played a game against a Division 1 school, much less a professional team.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha ha! Not a chance. he's never even played a game against a Division 1 school, much less a professional team.
I don't think that really matters in the grand scheme if the team thinks he's ready. They're moving off JG, that's a given. The quicker they get the kid in there, the quicker they get some form of value for JG. He may not start game 1, which I agree is unlikely... but the goal is to get him in there as quickly as possible.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that really matters in the grand scheme if the team thinks he's ready. They're moving off JG, that's a given. The quicker they get the kid in there, the quicker they get some form of value for JG. He may not start game 1, which I agree is unlikely... but the goal is to get him in there as quickly as possible.
I disagree only because the 49ers' championship window is closing and although Garoppolo may not be better than Lance in the long run I believe he is better now. The other thing is, when Garoppolo is in the lineup the 49ers win and its hard to argue with that,

Seems like Shanahan agrees with you though because I heard on a podcast yesterday that he plans to develop some packages for Lance but only in instances where the game has been determined already.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best value Jimmy G can give them is to open the season as the Starter and play like the QB that took us to the Super Bowl again while staying healthy. Jimmy G's Trade Value will be very high going into the offseason if he can stay healthy and show again that he is a Playoff Caliber QB.

If the 49ers trade Jimmy G right now they'd have to take a lower offer which is probably just not worth it to them. Even if he does lose the Starting job he's a good veteran insurance policy should Lance get hurt.

The Chiefs kept Mahomes on the bench for an entire year while Alex Smith led them to the Playoffs again. There really is no need to rush a young QB onto the field. I mean look at how differently the early careers of Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers ended up. Does anyone really think the extra 3 years of starting experience helped Smith??? Stability isfar more important to a young QB and Rodgers got that while Smith had a revolving door of coaches and offensive systems. Once Smith finally got some stability with Harbaugh we finally started to see him blossom into the QB we'd always hoped he would be. Lance should have no problems getting stability from the 49ers with Shanahan not likely going anywhere anytime soon. That's going to be more important to his growth than starting Week 1.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes no doubt, we all want Lance to get ready soon as he can. Thats what the 'package' is for, to get him ready faster.

But i wouldn't rush him to become the starter this season, i'd increase the 'package' but he doesn't need to start. As long as JG is playing well, there is no need to start Lance this season.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I disagree only because the 49ers' championship window is closing and although Garoppolo may not be better than Lance in the long run I believe he is better now. The other thing is, when Garoppolo is in the lineup the 49ers win and its hard to argue with that,

Seems like Shanahan agrees with you though because I heard on a podcast yesterday that he plans to develop some packages for Lance but only in instances where the game has been determined already.
I disagree with "championship window is closing", i MIGHT have thought that right after last season, but not now.

IF.....if Lance's trajectory keeps going up, we have a new window or longer window. Add to this key players are signed for the next 3-4 years, T. Williams, Kittle, Warner, Juice.

Aiyuk is in his 2nd year of his rookie contract, and he has the 5th year option. Maybe Kinlaw takes a step up now that he had an off-season, he's on his 2nd year and also has a 5th year.

Can't declare today that our window is the next 3-4 years, but it has a decent chance with what Lance is showing so far.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with "championship window is closing", i MIGHT have thought that right after last season, but not now.

IF.....if Lance's trajectory keeps going up, we have a new window or longer window. Add to this key players are signed for the next 3-4 years, T. Williams, Kittle, Warner, Juice.

Aiyuk is in his 2nd year of his rookie contract, and he has the 5th year option. Maybe Kinlaw takes a step up now that he had an off-season, he's on his 2nd year and also has a 5th year.

Can't declare today that our window is the next 3-4 years, but it has a decent chance with what Lance is showing so far.
That's a good point

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The way I look at it, the team has no leverage in a trade if JG makes it to next offseason. Everyone knows that he only counts $3M against the cap next year if we release him - pretty much all of his guaranteed money has been made. They want him to look super sharp to start the season, and get Lance ready to go so they can trade him to a team that's in-need this year. Maybe we pick up a 3rd round pick, or get some help at CB or Oline - where we're still thin. If we go into the offseason and he's still on the team next year, they'll most likely release him so that he can go be a starter somewhere else, and we can use his $25M of cap-space next year to resign some of the guys currently on one-year deals.

I think that's always been the grand plan since they traded up - but of course, if the kid isn't ready they don't have to make the move this year. Worst case, they don't get anything in return for JG, but they still free up a ton of space next year. That's why, if Lance works out, it's really a genius plan - his rookie deal is a steal compared to JG and it definitely extends our current window for several years. If he's a bust, they're idiots and will most likely be shown the door.

Last edited:

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best value Jimmy G can give them is to open the season as the Starter and play like the QB that took us to the Super Bowl again while staying healthy. Jimmy G's Trade Value will be very high going into the offseason if he can stay healthy and show again that he is a Playoff Caliber QB.

If the 49ers trade Jimmy G right now they'd have to take a lower offer which is probably just not worth it to them. Even if he does lose the Starting job he's a good veteran insurance policy should Lance get hurt.

The Chiefs kept Mahomes on the bench for an entire year while Alex Smith led them to the Playoffs again. There really is no need to rush a young QB onto the field. I mean look at how differently the early careers of Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers ended up. Does anyone really think the extra 3 years of starting experience helped Smith??? Stability isfar more important to a young QB and Rodgers got that while Smith had a revolving door of coaches and offensive systems. Once Smith finally got some stability with Harbaugh we finally started to see him blossom into the QB we'd always hoped he would be. Lance should have no problems getting stability from the 49ers with Shanahan not likely going anywhere anytime soon. That's going to be more important to his growth than starting Week 1.
I think there are KC fans (and maybe some players) that will tell you Mahomes was ready that last year Alex started in the playoffs, and they would have made it out of the first round if they had transitioned to him sooner.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The way I look at it, the team has no leverage in a trade if JG makes it to next offseason. Everyone knows that he only counts $3M against the cap next year if we release him - pretty much all of his guaranteed money has been made. They want him to look super sharp to start the season, and get Lance ready to go so they can trade him to a team that's in-need this year. Maybe we pick up a 3rd round pick, or get some help at CB or Oline - where we're still thin. If we go into the offseason and he's still on the team next year, they'll most likely release him so that he can go be a starter somewhere else, and we can use his $25M of cap-space next year to resign some of the guys currently on one-year deals.

I think that's always been the grand plan since they traded up - but of course, if they kid isn't ready they don't have to make the move this year. Worst case, they don't get anything in return for JG, but they still free up a ton of space next year. That's why, if Lance works out, it's really a genius plan - his rookie deal is a steal compared to JG and it definitely extends our current window for several years. If he's a bust, they're idiots and will most likely be shown the door.
Yes we want JG to start the season HOT and although he can't be 'hot' every game, just avoid a bad game.

I wouldn't want to trade him this season because i'd hate for Lance to get hurt and we miss the play-offs? Or make the play-offs and lose the first play-off game with Sudfield or Rosen? I'm optimistic we can challenge for the SB THIS season, so having JG protects the QB spot.

That said, did read an article where the Writer made some sense on locker room "issues". I forget the details but basically when another QB takes over, you want everyone focusing/gelling on him. Then we MIGHT get an offer that's too good to turn down? Can i say 99% keep JG and 1% trade him THIS season? :-)

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think that's always been the grand plan since they traded up - but of course, if the kid isn't ready they don't have to make the move this year. Worst case, they don't get anything in return for JG, but they still free up a ton of space next year. That's why, if Lance works out, it's really a genius plan - his rookie deal is a steal compared to JG and it definitely extends our current window for several years. If he's a bust, they're idiots and will most likely be shown the door.
Yep. Lynch and Shanahan have staked their jobs on this pick. I don't think they have a first rounder for three years and don't have a third rounder next year either. That is a long time to go without a first rounder even if you do get a great QB out of it. I'm not sure I've ever heard of a team giving up three first rounders for a draft pick

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes we want JG to start the season HOT and although he can't be 'hot' every game, just avoid a bad game.

I wouldn't want to trade him this season because i'd hate for Lance to get hurt and we miss the play-offs? Or make the play-offs and lose the first play-off game with Sudfield or Rosen? I'm optimistic we can challenge for the SB THIS season, so having JG protects the QB spot.

That said, did read an article where the Writer made some sense on locker room "issues". I forget the details but basically when another QB takes over, you want everyone focusing/gelling on him. Then we MIGHT get an offer that's too good to turn down? Can i say 99% keep JG and 1% trade him THIS season? :-)
I get it... and really, they don't have to do anything this year. They have a ton of options available to them. I'm only pointing out the "optimal" situation for everyone (JG included). Because he's definitely done here unless something really bad happens to Lance.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it... and really, they don't have to do anything this year. They have a ton of options available to them. I'm only pointing out the "optimal" situation for everyone (JG included). Because he's definitely done here unless something really bad happens to Lance.
Yep. You don't spend all that draft capital to have him be a backup any longer than necessary. It reminds me of the situation between Alex Smith and Patrick Mahomes except the Chiefs didn't give up anything to get Mahomes. Garoppolo's days are numbered

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Lynch and Shanahan have staked their jobs on this pick. I don't think they have a first rounder for three years and don't have a third rounder next year either. That is a long time to go without a first rounder even if you do get a great QB out of it. I'm not sure I've ever heard of a team giving up three first rounders for a draft pick
Technically, they traded away two 1st rounders... the third was this this year's 1st round pick, but that's splitting hairs. I get your point. Most recent trade with that much going the other way was probably Washington trading up to get RG3 (3 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick as well) ... which Shanahan also has a legacy with (even though he didn't want RG3).

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Yeah, also think it was the first time a trade included three 1st for one 1st? But even though not involving three 1st rounders, the Goff trade and i think Mariota trades involved a LOT of draft capital? The Wentz trade was big too, if you include all the moves made. Anyway, we don't have a 1st rounder for the next two years, not next three.

If the Rams can trade away a LOT for a CB, and the Seahawks do the same for a Safety, then it isn't too bad for a franchise QB. I didn't like the trade when it was first annoucned, but after reading more afterward, i get the reasons for being bold.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Technically, they traded away two 1st rounders... the third was this this year's 1st round pick, but that's splitting hairs. I get your point. Most recent trade with that much going the other way was probably Washington trading up to get RG3 (3 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick as well) ... which Shanahan also has a legacy with (even though he didn't want RG3).
Oh thats right, the RGIII trade was MEGA!

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh. I didn't realize they gave that much just to move up to #10. Well, at least it worked out for them