• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Garoppolo: Stay or Go?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Under the normal situation, the cap would be around $215M. Given the covid, it's gonna be around $175....a $40M difference. With the crippling contracts of Ford, Richburg, Ward, Armstead......should SF really sacrifice that and potentially more for a QB who may become a true difference maker? We're not sure that he's that guy right now. Should we shed those players for a guy who may take the next step, but be just as injured as he is able to play?

i get the very tough cap decisions but Ford and Richburg should be the first to go anyway. Others that may be cap decisions include Gould, Tomlinson, Sherman, and Tartt. So these guys would've been under consideration even if the cap didn't go down. They're just not providing the value we need. I wouldn't argue back on Sherman to now, but listing him looking forward which is where your cap decisions are based. We can't cut Armstead now, its just too bad he's not providing the value either.

Then we likely can't afford Trent Williams so he'll come off the books.

Any good team starts at QB and while JG does lack the high consistency, he knows the system well and can operate it to a SB level. If we switch to a rookie now, a lot of the team talent MAY go to waste in 2021. If you're saying lets look ahead to the next 'window', ok that is a legit thought. But for me, i think this team will still be SB competitive in 2021.

It IS a tough decision to make and other top teams will have to make similar decisions. No good team will remain as good as they are in 2020.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i get the very tough cap decisions but Ford and Richburg should be the first to go anyway. Others that may be cap decisions include Gould, Tomlinson, Sherman, and Tartt. So these guys would've been under consideration even if the cap didn't go down. They're just not providing the value we need. I wouldn't argue back on Sherman to now, but listing him looking forward which is where your cap decisions are based. We can't cut Armstead now, its just too bad he's not providing the value either.

Then we likely can't afford Trent Williams so he'll come off the books.

Any good team starts at QB and while JG does lack the high consistency, he knows the system well and can operate it to a SB level. If we switch to a rookie now, a lot of the team talent MAY go to waste in 2021. If you're saying lets look ahead to the next 'window', ok that is a legit thought. But for me, i think this team will still be SB competitive in 2021.

It IS a tough decision to make and other top teams will have to make similar decisions. No good team will remain as good as they are in 2020.

Only will be competitive if the QB picks up his game (he'll need to, due to the FA losses/salary cap cuts were expected to take) and if he can stay healthy. I believe he can get better as a player, but the injury issue is clearly a problem. Some guys are just more susceptible to injury, and when that guy is the QB in this era, it's a major problem.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say keep him and draft a 2nd tier QB as the Niner other QB's are going to be FA's
Right now I'm sorta eyeing the kids from the U's of Pitt and Cincinnati.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Only will be competitive if the QB picks up his game (he'll need to, due to the FA losses/salary cap cuts were expected to take) and if he can stay healthy. I believe he can get better as a player, but the injury issue is clearly a problem. Some guys are just more susceptible to injury, and when that guy is the QB in this era, it's a major problem.

No argument there, its a tough decision either way you go. Injuries are not easy to predict and I don't categorize JG as 'injury prone'. Jimmy Ward is injury prone, but not JG.

I just feel we'll still be SB competitive next season similar to how the Rams are doing well one year after their SB loss. We'll lose players next season but the overall depth is still good. Other top teams will face the same decisions so we can be SB competitive. Its tough to get a new QB not knowing how well he'll perform next season? Then playing with a limited playbook because he won't have the experience with Shannahan. If we're thinking rookie QB, it'll be a given he won't perform like Garapollo.

If you don't feel we're SB competitive any more, then drafting a QB in Round 1 makes sense.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No argument there, its a tough decision either way you go. Injuries are not easy to predict and I don't categorize JG as 'injury prone'. Jimmy Ward is injury prone, but not JG.

I just feel we'll still be SB competitive next season similar to how the Rams are doing well one year after their SB loss. We'll lose players next season but the overall depth is still good. Other top teams will face the same decisions so we can be SB competitive. Its tough to get a new QB not knowing how well he'll perform next season? Then playing with a limited playbook because he won't have the experience with Shannahan. If we're thinking rookie QB, it'll be a given he won't perform like Garapollo.

If you don't feel we're SB competitive any more, then drafting a QB in Round 1 makes sense.

Both are injury prone....Ward moreso only because he's a defensive player involved with contact anytime he's making a play. Garoppolo got hurt as a Pat filling in for a suspended Brady. He comes to SF and he's lost for the season in 2018. He plays a full schedule in '19, but has been injured since week 2 this year, and may not return at all this year.

If Garoppolo isn't 'injury prone' as a QB, then no QB is.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Both are injury prone....Ward moreso only because he's a defensive player involved with contact anytime he's making a play. Garoppolo got hurt as a Pat filling in for a suspended Brady. He comes to SF and he's lost for the season in 2018. He plays a full schedule in '19, but has been injured since week 2 this year, and may not return at all this year.

If Garoppolo isn't 'injury prone' as a QB, then no QB is.

Ok, "injury prone" is a matter of opinion. 'injury prone' implies easily injured and/or always out with 'minor' injuries. Out with minor injuries is from the old saying "can't play hurt". JG sustained a bad injury in 2018, and as we can see from other players, a high ankle sprain isn't easy to come back from. Still don't think JG is injury prone, but your opinion is your opinion.

Evaluation of players are forward looking, not backward, So if you decide to change QB's NOW because you've determined JG will be injury prone, think about the immediate consequences? Don't expect another QB to come in and do better even if he plays all 16 games. IF Shannahan limits his playbook and does more running, then ok he might be ok? But you don't do this for long in the NFL, others will figure you out, especially in the play-offs..

Again, i think we have enough left to make another SB run next season. Beyond that is hard to say, but there will be enough talent next season. Changing QB's now puts a damper on those aspirations.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, "injury prone" is a matter of opinion. 'injury prone' implies easily injured and/or always out with 'minor' injuries. Out with minor injuries is from the old saying "can't play hurt". JG sustained a bad injury in 2018, and as we can see from other players, a high ankle sprain isn't easy to come back from. Still don't think JG is injury prone, but your opinion is your opinion.

Evaluation of players are forward looking, not backward, So if you decide to change QB's NOW because you've determined JG will be injury prone, think about the immediate consequences? Don't expect another QB to come in and do better even if he plays all 16 games. IF Shannahan limits his playbook and does more running, then ok he might be ok? But you don't do this for long in the NFL, others will figure you out, especially in the play-offs..

Again, i think we have enough left to make another SB run next season. Beyond that is hard to say, but there will be enough talent next season. Changing QB's now puts a damper on those aspirations.
What you deem 'injury prone' or not is irrelevant. It's not 'opinion'....it's FACT. Garoppolo has missed practically as many games as he's played for SF. He's started three seasons for the Niners, and in two of those three, he'll miss a vast majority of the year. It's not just problematic to not have the QB...but not have the ability to further reps with your receivers. It's even more of a problem to give said player the largest contract on the team, when he's missing major stretches, while there are serious implications regarding the salary cap next season.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What you deem 'injury prone' or not is irrelevant. It's not 'opinion'....it's FACT. Garoppolo has missed practically as many games as he's played for SF. He's started three seasons for the Niners, and in two of those three, he'll miss a vast majority of the year. It's not just problematic to not have the QB...but not have the ability to further reps with your receivers. It's even more of a problem to give said player the largest contract on the team, when he's missing major stretches, while there are serious implications regarding the salary cap next season.

Any player can get hurt at any time, even if they had a good track record for a few seasons. So unless it is obvious like Jimmy Ward, you can't just apply injuries GOING FORWARD. Taking this same approach is like getting rid of all players that had missed a lot of games. That includes Armstead, Bosa, Sherman, Kittle, etc etc.

Some injuries are just hard luck which i feel JG's was in 2018. So if you hold it against him now thats your opinion and fine, but watch what you wish for. It isn't easy getting another QB who you assume won't get injured all season, AND is consistently good. Not many QB's play the entire season plus play-offs, on all other teams.

The solution is improve the O-line, not assume JG will get a major injury.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any player can get hurt at any time, even if they had a good track record for a few seasons. So unless it is obvious like Jimmy Ward, you can't just apply injuries GOING FORWARD. Taking this same approach is like getting rid of all players that had missed a lot of games. That includes Armstead, Bosa, Sherman, Kittle, etc etc.

Some injuries are just hard luck which i feel JG's was in 2018. So if you hold it against him now thats your opinion and fine, but watch what you wish for. It isn't easy getting another QB who you assume won't get injured all season, AND is consistently good. Not many QB's play the entire season plus play-offs, on all other teams.

The solution is improve the O-line, not assume JG will get a major injury.

No...it doesn't. I've already explained this....it's far worse for the QB - a position that generally carries the most importance, largest salary cap dent, and probably one of the most protected - to be missing more time than playing. I don't care if you think Garoppolo's injury history is 'hard luck' or if you 'think' he's not 'injury prone.' At this point, he's hurt....and it's a major problem....GOING FORWARD.

The salary cap is going down, and SF has a lot of guys that are gonna be due new contracts. You 'think' we have another run at the SB, but carry Garoppolo's contract forward, you will sacrifice others....and that isn't even taking into consideration that the QB can stay healthy and elevate his team moreso given the loss of talent.

The guys last year that played all 16 games: Goff, Winston, Brady, Wentz, Garoppolo, Prescott, Rivers, Rogers, Murray, Mayfied, Wilson, Carr, and Allen. 14 guys. How about the ones that started 15 of 16 games? Jackson, Ryan, Trubisky, Watson, Brissette, Cousins....that's 6 more guys. Mahomes, Brees and Stafford missed more games - anyone could let Mahomes slide at this point in his career, Brees has been rock solid health wise, and nobody can slight the guy now given his age, and Stafford hasn't missed much, if any time in a good 9 or 10 years.

No matter how you try and dress it up - Garoppolo's injury (history) is a problem.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get any of the talk about Jimmy G not being the 49ers QB next year. He's as good if not better than any of the names being floated to replace him. We nearly won the Super Bowl last year with Jimmy G. If not for all the injuries this year there is nothing to suggest we wouldn't be in the hunt this year. I would actually need to see Jimmy G show decline in his game before replacing him. It's hard to judge anything after the ankle sprain because it was clear he wasn't the same QB from 2017 and 2019. You watch tape from then and see the quick release and tight spiral, and then watch 2020 after the injury and tell me it's the same QB.

If he comes back healthy and still struggles to throw like his old self then you start to make plans to change your QB.

Not trying to cause a dust up or anything, but from my vantage point. That near SB win can in spite of Jimmy G not because of Jimmy G. Yeah, he was still getting back to 100% and all that, but he was what? 17-27 for 210 yards 1 TD n 1 INT in 2 playoff games. Meanwhile 9er RBs put up 320+ yards and 6 TDs in those 2 playoff games. And if he doesn't overthrow Sanders the 9ers are very likely SB champs.

My son's a 9er fan and he's on the fence about Jimmy G.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
JG is a tough decision and why you read deferring opinions. It is natural for fans to say change a player out cause thats easy to say, but as EVERY fan knows it isn't easy to obtain a good NFL QB. The cost of a Free Agent QB is now about $35M a season. This means gutting depth on this current team and hoping this new QB makes up for it.

Then there is the well known difficulty in learning the full offensive scheme? Shannahan will have to turn it down for the new QB.

Going with a Rookie is ok IF you're not expecting to contend to the SB. This is what rebuilding teams do and in that scenario, makes sense. However, a SB contending team doesn't decide to enter a SB contending season relying on a rookie QB. So it depends a LOT of if you think this team still has enough to make a SB run next season?

Then there is draft position, it doesn't appear we'll be in the top 10 so even drafting a top QB prospect, faces low odds. Then when that rookie goes thru his rookie mistaken season, the same fans who didn't want JG, will rant and rave at how bad the ROOKIE QB is....well DUH!

I get JG isn't a franchise QB, but watch what you wish for.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Some of these things seem sensible but if Lance isn't ready to start game 1, what happens? The first thing to happen is we don't win the 'winnable games', or games we're "supposed" to win. The season gets off to a poor start and team chemistry goes down right away. Fans are going to complain about everything including how Lance was a mistake..

Expecting Lance to play well beginning game 1 is unrealistic, he'll play poorly and then lose some confidence. I wouldn't expect he'll become a mental wreck but everyone knows he doesn't have a track record and is transitioning to the NFL. What do fans expect would happen by starting him too soon? With a poor start, he'll take even longer to transition because of even more pressure to succeed RIGHT AWAY.

IMO stick with the plan which is start Garapollo game 1, and then go from there. Things will change as the season goes on so you adjust accordingly. I wouldn't trade JG after pre-season for "whatever draft picks you can get". What if Lance gets hurt?

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless a trade proposition falls into our lap for Jimmy, we're going into training camp with him as the probable starter. If Lance lights it up in practice and gives the coaching staff confidence that he's ready - they "may" start him. But they certainly don't have to... and probably won't, unless he just looks "that good." I'll leave it up to the coaching staff, who know and see a lot more than we do, to make that decision.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IMO stick with the plan which is start Garapollo game 1, and then go from there. Things will change as the season goes on so you adjust accordingly. I wouldn't trade JG after pre-season for "whatever draft picks you can get". What if Lance gets hurt?
Yep. Stay the course. Grop will start and Trey will sit and wait until he's ready. Now matter how well Grop plays this season, his injury history says that Lance will get a few chances to start this season anyway. No need to rush things.

I get the contract thing. Trading/cutting Grop lets us use the cap space elsewhere or even carry it over into next year, but with Grop healthy, we have a playoff-level team and there is no guarantee that Lance is ready yet. So, Grop stays.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Unless a trade proposition falls into our lap for Jimmy, we're going into training camp with him as the probable starter. If Lance lights it up in practice and gives the coaching staff confidence that he's ready - they "may" start him. But they certainly don't have to... and probably won't, unless he just looks "that good." I'll leave it up to the coaching staff, who know and see a lot more than we do, to make that decision.
Yes, as Shannahan alread said, when Lance is ready he'll get his chance. This makes perfect sense to all of us, even if he doesn't start all year. We know he'll get reps during season, he's not going to sit 100%.

i wouldn't trade JG after preseason for whatever draft picks we can get

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, as Shannahan alread said, when Lance is ready he'll get his chance. This makes perfect sense to all of us, even if he doesn't start all year. We know he'll get reps during season, he's not going to sit 100%.

i wouldn't trade JG after preseason for whatever draft picks we can get
I wish I was as confident as you that this guy can play. I've seen nothing to indicate he's ready to make the leap from very limited experience at the D2 level to the NFL

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish I was as confident as you that this guy can play. I've seen nothing to indicate he's ready to make the leap from very limited experience at the D2 level to the NFL
We'll get a shot to see him in action in a month before the games count. I was happy they took a shot on Lance instead of going with Jones or Fields. The division is so damn competitive a little extra risk was warranted, imo.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is it 2021, what he does this season will say it all. my prediction, another injury and that pretty much does it for the career. Do hope I'm wrong. would love to see the guy become another stud Niner QB, not that we need anymore.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What are you saying exactly, that Lance might not ever play?

"When" he's ready to play, he will play.