• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Garoppolo: Stay or Go?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The hype is unbelievable. I am pulling for Lance and there are alot of things to like but he hasn't even faced a real defense yet and I don't think he has even played in pads yet. It is good to get positive reports but it is just training camp. The NFL has been filled with training camp wonders who bomb once the real games start. I keep reminding people about even hall of famers like John Elway who are raving about his rookie training camp and how great he was and there was even super bowl talk and he flamed out his rookie season. Had to be benched. The same kind of hype was thrown around DeShone Kizer his rookie season and he is playing on his third team now.
This is my opinion too.

While it is GREAT the reports on Lance are GOOD, the hype is getting way ahead of him. His next step is live scrimmages and pre-season games, he shouldn't be talked about as the game 1 starter. Shannahan is doing the right thing by bringing him along step by step.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As far as Garopollo goes, his salary is already accounted for this year. Behind Jimmy G is Rosen and Studfield. There are a number of people out there that think the 49ers should get rid of Jimmy G and just start Lance right away. Putting the season on a 20 year old rookie who was the least experienced college QB out of the first round and hasn't played football in over a year and has yet to take a real NFL snap is crazy. If Lance struggles or gets injured all they have is Rosen or Studfield. They are done. It would be one thing if the 49ers were playing for nothing but the future but this team wants to make a run at the Super Bowl this year.
Agree with this too, granted it isn't for Shannahan to keep JG 'in the game', not to mention locker room dynamics.

JG doesn't have any trade value anyway.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is my opinion too.

While it is GREAT the reports on Lance are GOOD, the hype is getting way ahead of him. His next step is live scrimmages and pre-season games, he shouldn't be talked about as the game 1 starter. Shannahan is doing the right thing by bringing him along step by step.
No doubt he has great physical traits. He has a great arm. That is why the 49ers drafted him and I think right now those are things that are making him shine while the things that are listed as his weaknesses that may hold him back won't be as evident in no pad scrimmages.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No doubt he has great physical traits. He has a great arm. That is why the 49ers drafted him and I think right now those are things that are making him shine while the things that are listed as his weaknesses that may hold him back won't be as evident in no pad scrimmages.
Yes, at this point it is mainly physical skills that are wowing beat Writers. To some extent his capacity to learn the system is also wowing Writers. That is very good of course but there is more to experience.

He has to go though the next step which is live action. Scimmages and Pre-Season are the next steps, and we should expect he'll go thru rookie mistakes. Thats part of the game for rookie QB's, its a tough gig.

If i'm Shannahan, i'd say/do the same thing, that JG is the starter. JG needs to "stay in the game" too, its important for this season.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The hype is unbelievable. I am pulling for Lance and there are alot of things to like but he hasn't even faced a real defense yet and I don't think he has even played in pads yet. It is good to get positive reports but it is just training camp. The NFL has been filled with training camp wonders who bomb once the real games start. I keep reminding people about even hall of famers like John Elway who are raving about his rookie training camp and how great he was and there was even super bowl talk and he flamed out his rookie season. Had to be benched. The same kind of hype was thrown around DeShone Kizer his rookie season and he is playing on his third team now.
True. he's never even face a major college football team much less an NFL team

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, at this point it is mainly physical skills that are wowing beat Writers. To some extent his capacity to learn the system is also wowing Writers. That is very good of course but there is more to experience.

He has to go though the next step which is live action. Scimmages and Pre-Season are the next steps, and we should expect he'll go thru rookie mistakes. Thats part of the game for rookie QB's, its a tough gig.

If i'm Shannahan, i'd say/do the same thing, that JG is the starter. JG needs to "stay in the game" too, its important for this season.
When Garoppolo plays, the 49ers win. he just can't seem to stay healthy.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People need to realize that there is no right or wrong way to bring Trey Lance along, as everyone is different. It's so easy to say a guy benefitted from sitting a year, but they have no idea how they would perform if they started week 1....just as it's impossible to say a guy bombed out because he was rushed into the starting position, when it could easily be that he wasn't good enough in the first place. That guy coulda sat a year, come in and failed.

Just as people complain about the level of competition that Lance went against.....so what? Lance's teammates were at that level as well. What they also fail to mention is that of all the QB's in the draft, he was by far the most pro ready when it comes to calling audibles, setting protections, etc. etc......the meaningful aspects to playing at the pro level, and he ran a lot of the Shanahan schemes in college.

People also talk about the limited experience in college....the 13 games played or whatever. Kinda irrelevant since Mac Jones played as many games yet he's seen as one of the more 'pro ready' guys. If your angle is the limited experience, then you can easily flip that around and state that the only way he's gonna get experience is by actually playing, and not sitting.

They talk about Shanahan's complex system, but also mention how QB friendly it is.....I think you can't have it both ways. We've got a run-oriented system in place, and given the easy looks it gives when it comes to the passing game, it really sets up nicely for someone whose experience is limited.

Bottom line is this. The 49ers didn't trade three 1st rounders to move up for nothing. If Trey Lance is a football savant, and he's picking up the playbook like nobody's business, he could easily be the week 1 starter. From camp reports, he's studying more than anybody on the team and he's correcting guys at the LOS and whatnot. If he can grasp 75% of what Garoppolo can do by September, then yeah....he should be the starter. It's probably not gonna happen, but it's not some out-of-this-world idea.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People need to realize that there is no right or wrong way to bring Trey Lance along, as everyone is different. It's so easy to say a guy benefitted from sitting a year, but they have no idea how they would perform if they started week 1....just as it's impossible to say a guy bombed out because he was rushed into the starting position, when it could easily be that he wasn't good enough in the first place. That guy coulda sat a year, come in and failed.

Just as people complain about the level of competition that Lance went against.....so what? Lance's teammates were at that level as well. What they also fail to mention is that of all the QB's in the draft, he was by far the most pro ready when it comes to calling audibles, setting protections, etc. etc......the meaningful aspects to playing at the pro level, and he ran a lot of the Shanahan schemes in college.

People also talk about the limited experience in college....the 13 games played or whatever. Kinda irrelevant since Mac Jones played as many games yet he's seen as one of the more 'pro ready' guys. If your angle is the limited experience, then you can easily flip that around and state that the only way he's gonna get experience is by actually playing, and not sitting.

They talk about Shanahan's complex system, but also mention how QB friendly it is.....I think you can't have it both ways. We've got a run-oriented system in place, and given the easy looks it gives when it comes to the passing game, it really sets up nicely for someone whose experience is limited.

Bottom line is this. The 49ers didn't trade three 1st rounders to move up for nothing. If Trey Lance is a football savant, and he's picking up the playbook like nobody's business, he could easily be the week 1 starter. From camp reports, he's studying more than anybody on the team and he's correcting guys at the LOS and whatnot. If he can grasp 75% of what Garoppolo can do by September, then yeah....he should be the starter. It's probably not gonna happen, but it's not some out-of-this-world idea.
None of what you said is irrelevant. Just a huge list of hype and gibberish with no valid reasoning. Wishful thinking won’t get it done for the 49ers

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Ok, the part about not knowing exactly when a propect is ready, is reasonable. This applies to any position and harder yet for a QB. But my (our) opinion was based on 'so far' and 'to this point', whereas you're looking ahead to the rest of TC and Pre-Season (when you said Game 1 starter). This is what i said too, he has more steps to go thru before you can judge his ability to start game 1? I guarantee you we ALL want Lance to start soon as he's ready, but we don't want him 'rushed'.

I find it hard to believe Lance can "grasp" 75% of what JG can do by September? The reason is JG has gone thru live NFL games including the play-offs. Like most jobs in America "on the job training" is where we get most of our ability to do our jobs. More so for an NFL QB, they need to go thru live action first. Lance can't "grasp" all that game experience via a scrimmage and 3 Pre-Season games.

It isn't some out-of-this-world idea, but i'll say 99% JG will start game 1.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I love it! The Lance/Garoppolo situation has Grant Cohn taking shots at David Lombardi on Twitter. Long-time 49er media folks are saying they've never seen anything like what Lance is doing in training camp. People are losing their minds. Of course, it's practice... but man, I can't wait to see the kid in preseason with my own eyes. It's made for one of the most exciting off-seasons in a while. If he's ready, we'll all see it. If not, we'll see that too.

With the way rookie deals work now, you can bet your ass that Kyle will put Lance in the instant he thinks he's ready. Then it's all about what Jimmy can fetch in a trade, and how you show him respect by trading him to a place that he wants to go.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, the part about not knowing exactly when a propect is ready, is reasonable. This applies to any position and harder yet for a QB. But my (our) opinion was based on 'so far' and 'to this point', whereas you're looking ahead to the rest of TC and Pre-Season (when you said Game 1 starter). This is what i said too, he has more steps to go thru before you can judge his ability to start game 1? I guarantee you we ALL want Lance to start soon as he's ready, but we don't want him 'rushed'.

I find it hard to believe Lance can "grasp" 75% of what JG can do by September? The reason is JG has gone thru live NFL games including the play-offs. Like most jobs in America "on the job training" is where we get most of our ability to do our jobs. More so for an NFL QB, they need to go thru live action first. Lance can't "grasp" all that game experience via a scrimmage and 3 Pre-Season games.

You really think it's 99%? JG is definitely the probable starter at this point, but it's still early in preseason. Too early for me to make a call - gotta see Lance in game situations for myself, like you suggest. I'll get a better sense after the second preseason game.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Grop is almost certainly the Day 1 starter. He's got nothing to worry about until he suffers his yearly injury.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You really think it's 99%? JG is definitely the probable starter at this point, but it's still early in preseason. Too early for me to make a call - gotta see Lance in game situations for myself, like you suggest. I'll get a better sense after the second preseason game.
Yes, do think Shannahan will start JG in game 1, that was their plan from the day of the mega-trade. We're ALL glad (really glad) Lance is progressing ahead of schedule, but thats exactly that......"ahead of schedule". One schedule included Lance 'sitting' all season, so ahead of this schedule is far from starting game 1.

BTW - When they said "sit' in 2021, we all knew this didn't mean not playing a single down. I took 'sit' as meaning not starting any games in 2021.

I fully expect Lance to play like a rookie in these Pre-Season games. If so, the narrative on Lance will change quite a bit to the other extreme. We just don't want him running around too much, increasing the odds he gets hurt.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, do think Shannahan will start JG in game 1, that was their plan from the day of the mega-trade. We're ALL glad (really glad) Lance is progressing ahead of schedule, but thats exactly that......"ahead of schedule". One schedule included Lance 'sitting' all season, so ahead of this schedule is far from starting game 1.

BTW - When they said "sit' in 2021, we all knew this didn't mean not playing a single down. I took 'sit' as meaning not starting any games in 2021.

I fully expect Lance to play like a rookie in these Pre-Season games. If so, the narrative on Lance will change quite a bit to the other extreme. We just don't want him running around too much, increasing the odds he gets hurt.
To me, "sitting" for 2021 meant the start of the season.... not necessarily the entire season. The door is wide open to transition quickly, provided the kid is ready. Jimmy's cap situation, what we gave up to get Lance - all of this would say you move quickly if you can.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My first point is I trust shanahan to make that call of who starts and I will support whatever he decides.

Lance had the least experience of any of the first round QBs taken. That was has been reported almost anywhere you look. Hasn't played in over a year and was only 20 years old when drafted.

Shanahan's offense is complex. Matt Ryan, a seasoned vet, said it took two years for him to be comfortable and function effectively in Shanahan's system. Imagine what that is like for a really green NFL rookie.

When Shanahan drafted Lance, it was apparent this was done for the long haul and they viewed him as the best long term prospect, not necessarily one that would be the best prospect for this coming year. I don't necessarily see a tie between the pics given up for him and having to start this year.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Lance is not starting day one, I don't expect there will be a change midseason as long as the team is winning and it super bowl contention. It might be different if this team was going nowhere this year but changing QBs midseason for an unknown poses it is own set of risks for a team where every game counts.

Lance has also come back down to earth in recent practices and is starting to look like the rookie we knew we were getting

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
To me, "sitting" for 2021 meant the start of the season.... not necessarily the entire season. The door is wide open to transition quickly, provided the kid is ready. Jimmy's cap situation, what we gave up to get Lance - all of this would say you move quickly if you can.
Ok thats fine.

The door is cracked open to this point and Lance is doing a good job transitioning to the NFL. I'm certainly not saying hold Lance back or go with JG no matter what. Like all 49er fans i want Lance to take over as the starter, but only when he's ready. Doing well to date is far from proving he's ready, we'll see how he does in Pre-Season?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My first point is I trust shanahan to make that call of who starts and I will support whatever he decides.

Lance had the least experience of any of the first round QBs taken. That was has been reported almost anywhere you look. Hasn't played in over a year and was only 20 years old when drafted.

Shanahan's offense is complex. Matt Ryan, a seasoned vet, said it took two years for him to be comfortable and function effectively in Shanahan's system. Imagine what that is like for a really green NFL rookie.

When Shanahan drafted Lance, it was apparent this was done for the long haul and they viewed him as the best long term prospect, not necessarily one that would be the best prospect for this coming year. I don't necessarily see a tie between the pics given up for him and having to start this year.
Yes, prior to TC this was the narrative.....he'll need time to acclimate. To me the narrative hasn't changed despite Lance flashing his talent in TC.

Fans want to rush Lance into the game, AND expect top results. Is this realistic knowing his college experience?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Lance is not starting day one, I don't expect there will be a change midseason as long as the team is winning and it super bowl contention. It might be different if this team was going nowhere this year but changing QBs midseason for an unknown poses it is own set of risks for a team where every game counts.

Lance has also come back down to earth in recent practices and is starting to look like the rookie we knew we were getting
For me, not expecting Lance to start game 1, not even close.

But do agree JG to start and as Shannahan said, Lance will get his set of plays. This is good because we know JG can win games and Lance gains live action reps. Depending on the opposing D, Lance may get more sets to execute.

I expect this set-up will continue all season unless JG has two bad games in a row, or is injured.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, Saturday can't come soon enough. I just wanna see the kid with my own eyes. You can't glean anything from the crappy training camp vids that get posted to youtube. I honestly can't remember the last time I was excited about a preseason game. Great offseason for the fans.