• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Garoppolo Next Year?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So what player on the team do you think is more responsible than Garoppolo for winning these games other than Deebo Samuel?
Right off I would say TW, Bosa, Warner, Mitchell, Armstead, and Kittle (don't forget his blocking) had more to do with us winning, than JG. The players who excelled at their positions is what boosts a team to win. There was enough of these guys to carry the team this far. I was even considering DJ Jones and Al Shahair who had GOOD seasons too. Mack started slow but he came on strong.

The QB naturally plays the largest part on a team, so while JG did "ok", he didn't get near to what is required of a QB. This was the team's ultimate ceiling, JG's inability to 'max' the QB position. When you get to the Divisional, Conference, and SB, the QB's ability to fill his position is what wins. Stafford filled his position well on Sunday, throwing to all spots and depths on the field. The Rams had some huge drops too, they could've easily been up most of the game.

Don't take this to the extreme, i never said JG is worthless and don't deserve any credit. I'm saying he's good but not good enough, his play-off track record speaks for itself. Include 2019 and you KNOW he didn't fill his position well, the run game (ie Mostert) max'ed out and is how we got to the SB.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Because most of the time he finds a way to get it done at the end. They've seen it time and time again so they believe.
If we score in the 1st half, then we wouldn't need to get it done at the end.

If we scored more on Sunday in the first 3 quarters, we would've been up by more than 10 points. Look at the season overall, we have to come back because we didn't score enough earlier in games.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we score in the 1st half, then we wouldn't need to get it done at the end.

If we scored more on Sunday in the first 3 quarters, we would've been up by more than 10 points. Look at the season overall, we have to come back because we didn't score enough earlier in games.
I blame it on Shanahan for running the same ridiculous run up the middle on first down every time that put the 49ers in 2nd and 11, 2nd and 10, 2nd and 9. This would put any QB behind the 8 ball. Garoppolo can only run the plays that are called. And if we hadn't failed so miserably on 3rd down on defense we would have won. Its a team game. The impossible to drop INT that Tartt somehow managed to drop didn't help either.

Last edited:

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if its a higher Conditional pick for 2023, do we take it? For example, a 2nd round pick in 2023 which can become a 1st rounder if he plays 75% of the snaps? This is similar to the Wentz trade.

Or do we take a 2nd rounder in this coming draft?

I know this also depends on which team we trade with, but on the serface i will take this Conditional trade.
I have to say that I loved the article's idea of trading Jimmy for the Bucs OG. Sure he just made the PB, but he's only got 2 years left on his deal. I don't see the Bucs making that kind of offer--I think they'd much rather part with picks. I was not a fan of the McCaffrey idea--it's intriguing b/c of his skills, but he's being paid a fortune and he's barely played the last 2 years...we don't need any more highly paid, injury-prone RBs, thank you very much.

Considering Jimmy's injury history, a conditional pick is a serious gamble and ordinarily, I'd say no way I'm counting on Jimmy's heath to determine what pick we get. Though I don't see any team offering a first for him, even conditionally...but weird things happen. I mean, if it came down to 2 teams, it's not crazy to think that the team with the later 2nd rd pick this year could off a conditional 2023 2nd that could be a 1st depending on Jimmy's 2022 PT.

From everything I'm ready, the market for Jimmy could be hotter than we fans expect. Considering that Rodgers/Wilson/Watson probably aren't going anywhere, that means that the best option for a team looking for a veteran upgrade at QB is, shockingly, Jimmy.

Jimmy's realistic market is only about 4 teams (Steelers, Commies, Bucs, Broncos). I posted this in the general forum, but some of us don't go there, so here it is:
Steelers - it's not gonna be Rudolph or Haskins. Could be a good spot for a rookie QB to start, though.
Commies - Rivera wants a vet upgrade (2 sub .500 seasons=hotseat), but would Kyle do anything to help Snyder?
Bucs - they're all-but certain to go with a vet as they have a contending team to put around a QB
Broncos - Rodgers trade is unlikely, and QB play has held them back for years, could go rookie though

Texans - Watson still on the block, Mills played surprisingly well though
Panthers - longshot, but their HC could be desperate enough to trade for 2 Qbs in consecutive years
Vikings - the new HC is faced with either extending Cousins or trading him. But that cap #...

Packers - even if Rodgers is traded/retired, they already have Love (not that that means much)
Dolphins - FO will insist the new HC go with Tua

Last edited:

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to say that I loved the article's idea of trading Jimmy for the Bucs OG. Sure he just made the PB, but he's only got 2 years left on his deal. I don't see the Bucs making that kind of offer--I think they'd much rather part with picks. I was not a fan of the McCaffrey idea--it's intriguing b/c of his skills, but he's being paid a fortune and he's barely played the last 2 years...we don't need any more highly paid, injury-prone RBs, thank you very much.

Considering Jimmy's injury history, a conditional pick is a serious gamble and ordinarily, I'd say no way I'm counting on Jimmy's heath to determine what pick we get. Though I don't see any team offering a first for him, even conditionally...but weird things happen. I mean, if it came down to 2 teams, it's not crazy to think that the team with the later 2nd rd pick this year could off a conditional 2023 2nd that could be a 1st depending on Jimmy's 2022 PT.

From everything I'm ready, the market for Jimmy could be hotter than we fans expect. Considering that Rodgers/Wilson/Watson probably aren't going anywhere, that means that the best option for a team looking for a veteran upgrade at QB is, shockingly, Jimmy.

Jimmy's realistic market is only about 4 teams (Steelers, Commies, Bucs, Broncos). I posted this in the general forum, but some of us don't go there, so here it is:
Steelers - it's not gonna be Rudolph or Haskins. Could be a good spot for a rookie QB to start, though.
Commies - Rivera wants a vet upgrade (2 sub .500 seasons=hotseat), but would Kyle do anything to help Snyder?
Bucs - they're all-but certain to go with a vet as they have a contending team to put around a QB
Broncos - Rodgers trade is unlikely, and QB play has held them back for years, could go rookie though

Panthers - longshot, but their HC could be desperate enough to trade for 2 Qbs in consecutive years
Vikings - the new HC is faced with either extending Cousins or trading him. But that cap #...

Packers - even if Rodgers is traded/retired, they already have Love (not that that means much)
Steelers would be a good fit, but only for a while. They can go to the playoffs with Garoppolo, but with those stud QBs there I wonder if he could get them past any of them.

Yes, the Steelers have a good defense, but with all the rule changes over the years that's like bring a high-quality stick to a knife fight.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers would be a good fit, but only for a while. They can go to the playoffs with Garoppolo, but with those stud QBs there I wonder if he could get them past any of them.

Yes, the Steelers have a good defense, but with all the rule changes over the years that's like bring a high-quality stick to a knife fight.

I’m praying the Steelers don’t go after him….

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's fine. Just not the answer. Right now the Steelers have no answer. Two-year contract. Draft and develop a guy and let Grop play for a year or two while the kid prepares and then let him go do the same thing somewhere else. He can be the new Fitzpatrick. In the meantime he's good enough for the Steelers to make the playoffs with him. He's better than Big Ben was the last couple of years.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd like to see him go to the Steelers. He'd be successful there and the 49ers wouldn't have to play against him. He'd be a fool to accept a trade to the Broncos with how good all those teams in the division are. Be kind of cool to see him finally follow Brady if Tampa trades for him.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ian rappaport was on KNBR the other day and he said he expects the Niners to get AT LEAST a 2nd rd pick for Jimmy (like a 2nd and a mid/late rounder). Gotta hope what he's hearing is true.

It really helps Jimmy's value that the QBs in this year's draft aren't rated anywhere near as high as those from 2021. Outside of monster trades for Rodgers/Wilson/Watson (all unlikely), Jimmy is the best game in town.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lotta Commie fans saying the same thing. The issue in Washington is that Rivera has had 2 sub .500 seasons and another one could get him the boot, so he reportedly doesn't want to start count on a rookie b/c by the time the rookie from a weak QB class blossoms, there'll be a new HC in Washington. Even if the Commies draft a QB, most Skins fans don't want to part with draft assets for a short term vet QB.
He's fine. Just not the answer. Right now the Steelers have no answer. Two-year contract. Draft and develop a guy and let Grop play for a year or two while the kid prepares and then let him go do the same thing somewhere else. He can be the new Fitzpatrick. In the meantime he's good enough for the Steelers to make the playoffs with him. He's better than Big Ben was the last couple of years.
And that is exactly where the Bucs are too. Like @Montalban said, it would be ironic and interesting to see Jimmy finally succeed Brady, but in Tampa.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
""The 49ers won a combined seven games in the two seasons before trading for Garoppolo midway through the 2017 campaign. In Garoppolo's tenure with the 49ers, he was 31-14 in the regular season as a starter and 4-2 in the playoffs.""

Some team is getting a winner. I think a lot of where he goes depends on who has cap money.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As I said in another thread, the Steelers don’t need another one read, check down passer for 4 yards…..They already have Mason for that….Not sure what direction they go, but I hope it’s not JG…..They might be better off taking their lumps and draft a QB in 23’

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some team is getting a winner. I think a lot of where he goes depends on who has cap money.
There's no doubt that Jimmy is an upgrade for a lot of teams.

As for the cap, things could get interesting. From what I can find, the Steelers, Commies, and Broncos will have plenty of cap space. The Bucs, not so much.

The Bucs reportedly have 6 or 7M in projected space, but they have several moves to make that should adjust that number upward. The biggest issue is Brady's contract, which left them with a 32M dead money cap hit. They could make some moves, like post June 2 filing, but that will be a big problem for them. Along with having several starters hit FA next month.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man... would be great if we can get a 2nd rounder. Without us covering a portion of his salary next year, I still think we're looking at a 3rd. Maybe straight up for another player. Hope I'm wrong.

I'll be damned if JG isn't one of the more polarizing figures in the NFL right now. He's a proven winner, but it's funny how a lot of folks don't want him anywhere near their team. The eyeball test is hard to ignore, I guess.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man... would be great if we can get a 2nd rounder. Without us covering a portion of his salary next year, I still think we're looking at a 3rd. Maybe straight up for another player. Hope I'm wrong.

I'll be damned if JG isn't one of the more polarizing figures in the NFL right now. He's a proven winner, but it's funny how a lot of folks don't want him anywhere near their team. The eyeball test is hard to ignore, I guess.
The article I posted earlier, had these 4 trade scenarios. Some of them are not realistic imo, but it speaks to the idea that the NFL FOs will value Jimmy more than we think.
1. Commies - 2nd rd pick and CB Kendall Fuller
2. Steelers - 2nd rd pick and QB Mason Rudolph
3. Panthers - RB Christian McCaffrey
4. Bucs - OG Ali Marpet

The Commie trade isn't realistic imo b/c their pick is the 12th pick in rd 2 and Fuller is their best CB (and played at VT). Hell, I'd be ecstatic with the Washington 2nd rounder. Hell, I'd take Fuller and a 4th.

The Steeler trade scenario is interesting not just b/c of the 2nd rd pick but b/c it would bring us back Rudolph to backup Lance. Not sure that Rudolph is experienced enough for my tastes as a backup for the kid though.

The Panther scenario is just crazy. While the Panthers would probably love to unload McCaffrey, he's making 14M and missed most of the last 2 seasons with injuries. I'm not sure I'd take that deal even if McCaffrey agreed to take a 50% paycut--too risky.

The Bucs idea is By far the best imo. It's another straight up, player for player, trade, but Marpet would be a huge upgrade at our weakest position. He's still under contract for 2 more years at 10M/year. However, I don't see the Bucs making that kind of offer b/c they're in win-now mode and they'd be more inclined to trade away picks than a good contributor like Marpet.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The article I posted earlier, had these 4 trade scenarios. Some of them are not realistic imo, but it speaks to the idea that the NFL FOs will value Jimmy more than we think.
4. Bucs - OG Ali Marpet

The Commie trade isn't realistic imo b/c their pick is the 12th pick in rd 2 and Fuller is their best CB (and played at VT). Hell, I'd be ecstatic with the Washington 2nd rounder. Hell, I'd take Fuller and a 4th.

The Steeler trade scenario is interesting not just b/c of the 2nd rd pick but b/c it would bring us back Rudolph to backup Lance. Not sure that Rudolph is experienced enough for my tastes as a backup for the kid though.

The Panther scenario is just crazy. While the Panthers would probably love to unload McCaffrey, he's making 14M and missed most of the last 2 seasons with injuries. I'm not sure I'd take that deal even if McCaffrey agreed to take a 50% paycut--too risky.

The Bucs idea is By far the best imo. It's another straight up, player for player, trade, but Marpet would be a huge upgrade at our weakest position. He's still under contract for 2 more years at 10M/year. However, I don't see the Bucs making that kind of offer b/c they're in win-now mode and they'd be more inclined to trade away picks than a good contributor like Marpet.
Just read that article. I hope I'm wrong. I don't know the writer, but it just feels too optimistic to me. It only takes two teams bidding for JG's services to make a market, and there are a few good teams that are just looking for "solid" QB play to compete, so anything is possible. But when you start including guys like Fuller or Marpet and a 2nd/3rd, you just lose me. Unless there's personality issues and cap concerns, why would teams include a pick on top of players of that caliber.

Seems like we'd prioritize a winning team, or at least a competitive team based on JG's request to go to a winner. And I do think they will try to deliver on that front. They may even give up a pick and release him to let him control his own fate, maybe?? Would be nice to get a pick, but avoiding his $27M hit next year is more important, and releasing him would only count like $1-2M against the cap, I believe. I also think they would like to keep him out of the NFC, if possible.
  • The Steelers seem like a very likely landing spot if they are interested
  • Denver is focused on Rodgers/Watson, but if those don't pan out I would say Denver would be a likely #2.
  • Indy depending on what happens with Wentz?
  • If McDaniels goes to Miami, could JG land there as a safety valve for Tua, with the "promise to compete" for the starting position?
  • Then the Bucs become really interesting - straight up deal for Marpet? Not sure about his contract status, but they need cap room so maybe something could be worked out... I just can't see it including us getting a pick as well, unless we eat a big portion of both contracts or something
  • Maybe the Vikes if they dump Cousins?
  • Maybe GB if Rodgers retires?
After those teams, are there teams ready to compete that need a QB? I can't see us focusing on the Panthers or Washington because they're further away from competing. Similar to you, I have a really hard time seeing us spending huge $$'s on a RB like McCafferey given Kyle's scheme and our need to resign players. I think Washington is the last team that Kyle tries to deal with in any capacity - there's some serious bad blood there.

This is going to be interesting to watch. Depending on how some other stuff shakes out during the offseason, there are a ton of other scenarios that could pop up. Sooooo many potential outcomes!

Last edited:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Because all of America knows he can't throw to the sidelines nor downfield past 10 yards. Everyone knows JG's ceiling isn't high and he isn't going to win games on his back. This worked with Shanahan because that's his style anyway, but it won't work anywhere else. No QB wins all of the games on his back, but they do it here and there.

JG needs a good running game and solid defense like the 49ers have. Pittsburgh seems the closest to this but even they want to throw it to more spots on the field.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Agree, right now i'm hopeful for a 2nd rounder too, would be elated with a high or mid-2nd. Late 2nd ok if another pick is thrown in, like a 4th or higher 5th.

With Brady and Big Ben retiring, it helps our trade situation. With no outstanding college QBs in the draft, it helps our trade situtation. But while these things do help, the bottom line is the trade is mainly based on what JG can do on the field. Other NFL teams KNOW that JG's passing ability is limited.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
4. Bucs - OG Ali Marpet

Agree, ok with trade scenarios 1, 2, and 4.

Don't like scenario 3 which is trading for Macaffery. As good as he is our RB needs to be good outside ala Mostert, or tough inside like Mitchell. Deebo will be doing all of the versatile stuff.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read that article. I hope I'm wrong. I don't know the writer, but it just feels too optimistic to me. It only takes two teams bidding for JG's services to make a market, and there are a few good teams that are just looking for "solid" QB play to compete, so anything is possible. But when you start including guys like Fuller or Marpet and a 2nd/3rd, you just lose me. Unless there's personality issues and cap concerns, why would teams include a pick on top of players of that caliber.

Seems like we'd prioritize a winning team, or at least a competitive team based on JG's request to go to a winner. And I do think they will try to deliver on that front. They may even give up a pick and release him to let him control his own fate, maybe?? Would be nice to get a pick, but avoiding his $27M hit next year is more important, and releasing him would only count like $1-2M against the cap, I believe. I also think they would like to keep him out of the NFC, if possible.
  • The Steelers seem like a very likely landing spot if they are interested
  • Denver is focused on Rodgers/Watson, but if those don't pan out I would say Denver would be a likely #2.
  • Indy depending on what happens with Wentz?
  • If McDaniels goes to Miami, could JG land there as a safety valve for Tua, with the "promise to compete" for the starting position?
  • Then the Bucs become really interesting - straight up deal for Marpet? Not sure about his contract status, but they need cap room so maybe something could be worked out... I just can't see it including us getting a pick as well, unless we eat a big portion of both contracts or something
  • Maybe the Vikes if they dump Cousins?
  • Maybe GB if Rodgers retires?
After those teams, are there teams ready to compete that need a QB? I can't see us focusing on the Panthers or Washington because they're further away from competing. Similar to you, I have a really hard time seeing us spending huge $$'s on a RB like McCafferey given Kyle's scheme and our need to resign players. I think Washington is the last team that Kyle tries to deal with in any capacity - there's some serious bad blood there.

This is going to be interesting to watch. Depending on how some other stuff shakes out during the offseason, there are a ton of other scenarios that could pop up. Sooooo many potential outcomes!
I agree that the article's trade scenarios are too optimistic. Honestly, I'd be thrilled with just getting Fuller or Marpet for Jimmy, without a pick included. I could see the Commies doing that but not the Bucs.

Unless Denver is prepared to offer 3 first rd picks for Rodgers, they're not all that serious.
Indy's HC isn't gonna move on from Wentz at this point. I think they're wedded together. If Wentz goes, Reich is fired not long after.
I think Miami ownership will insist that the new HC keep and focus on Tua.
As I already posted, Marpet is under contract for 2 more years at 10M/year.
The new Vikings HC, Rams OC McConnell, isn't going to get rid of Cousins, and his contract is all but untradeable/uncutable.
The Pack have Love, and the FO that drafted him isn't going to bring in a vet like Jimmy to "undermine" him.

Because all of America knows he can't throw to the sidelines nor downfield past 10 yards. Everyone knows JG's ceiling isn't high and he isn't going to win games on his back. This worked with Shanahan because that's his style anyway, but it won't work anywhere else. No QB wins all of the games on his back, but they do it here and there. JG needs a good running game and solid defense like the 49ers have. Pittsburgh seems the closest to this but even they want to throw it to more spots on the field.
While I agree that Jimmy is limited athletically, the problem is that everyone in an NFL front office knows that unless you want to offer 2 or 3 first round picks, Jimmy is just about the ONLY option for a veteran upgrade at QB this season. He is a significant upgrade over Rudolph and Haskins for the Steelers, not to mention the collection of backups in Washington and Denver.