• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Garoppolo Next Year?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do we win more with Jimmy?
It's simple. We win more games with our starting Qb on the field than with our backup QB. That is the truth of why we win more with Jimmy than with our backup QB. The point you should be taking from the W-L record without Jimmy is that he has missed A LOT of games and it has cost us a lot of wins. Those injury issues are part of why the FO starting looking to replace him rather than extend his contract.

Return on Investment and Risk v. Return
The issue is really the balance between how good Good Jimmy is and how often we see him versus how bad Bad Jimmy is and how often we see him. It isn't about comparing him to backup players--it's about risk vs. reward and return on investment and whether it's worth continuing to invest in him.

Jimmy was Dallas's best player in the last 1.5 quarters
Take a look at #3 and #4 again. As for #4, Jimmy knew that the LT was shifting over and he admitted that he just got overexcited and snapped the ball too early, but you expect us to believe that b/c there was a shift AT ALL it's not Jimmy's fault that he admittedly snapped the ball too early? That's DOA.

Back to #3, I encourage you to look at the pass plays in that drive. Notice that all were very short attempts that netted 2 completions for 9yds.
-Jimmy scramble up middle
-3rd and 4, Jimmy completed short right to Jennings for 5yds
-2nd and 7, Jimmy incomplete short left for Kittle (ball 1-hopped to GK, called fumble, reversed on review)
-3rd and 12, Jimmy incomplete short middle for Deebo, BUT Dallas penalty, Def Holding = 1st down
-3rd and 5, Jimmy incomplete short middle to Deebo for 4yds
Fair enough. You make good points but have you ever seen a left tackle go all the way across the line to right tackle on a QB sneak; ever? He made some horrible mistakes and he made some here even before his thumb ligament was torn but Shanahan has got to let him throw some big chunk plays like he’s done his entire career. The throw to Kittle that he dropped that probably would have been a TD is a classic example

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. You make good points but have you ever seen a left tackle go all the way across the line to right tackle on a QB sneak; ever? He made some horrible mistakes and he made some here even before his thumb ligament was torn but Shanahan has got to let him throw some big chunk plays like he’s done his entire career. The throw to Kittle that he dropped that probably would have been a TD is a classic example
Oh, I agree on the needlessness of the shift. I posted on it already--moving TW to the right side on that play made no sense and I have no idea why Kyle would do such a thing. Maybe move one defender, maybe trying for an offsides, but even so, I think it's an unnecessary complication for what should've been a simple play.

And I think most fans agree that Kyle can get tunnel vision. That's the only explanation for why an All Pro TE like Kittle disappears from the game plan for weeks at a time.

Last edited:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Lance did not give the 49ers the best chance of winning this season. That was obvious. But the 49ers simply cannot keep the No. 3 overall pick on the sideline for another season.

The 49ers need the cap savings from Garoppolo’s contract to keep their roster intact, including locking in Deebo Samuel to a lucrative, long-term deal. And this offseason is the 49ers’ last chance to get something in return to Garoppolo in a trade.

There will be a market for Garoppolo, and the 49ers can pursue recovering some of the future draft capital they sent to the Miami Dolphins in order to move up to No. 3 to select Lance.

Matt Maiocco

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I dunno. It's possible, but not probable. I just don't see how they can tie up $27M on JG and another $8M on Lance while they have a ton of talent to sign and need help on the O-Line and in the secondary.

I don't read too deep into the fact that Lance wasn't a world-beater immediately. He looked like a rookie that played 17 games at a Div 1a school who hadn't stepped on the field in two years. Once training camp hit, Jimmy G got all the time with the starters. My guess, and it's just a hunch, is that the locker room wasn't sold on handing over the keys to the rookie. If he lit things up, like off the charts... that would be one thing. But Jimmy is well-respected by his team mates. And I think Shanahan is a player's coach.... once the leaders spoke up, I think they decided to ride with Jimmy come what may, or until they were eliminated from playoff contention. Maybe it was always planned this way... to inspire Jimmy and the team mates that have been loyal to him, because if they benched Jimmy in favor of Lance, they definitely wouldn't get anything for him in a trade. At least now there's a possibility. And Lance gets some time with a clip board in his hands.

If JG throws for 400 yds and 5 TDs, he'll get the credit he deserves. The guy does things the right way, is a good team mate and has been unbelievably mature during all of this. Most folks root for guys like that. Pundits and players will.
Well said

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why do we win more with Jimmy?
It's simple. We win more games with our starting Qb on the field than with our backup QB. That is the truth of why we win more with Jimmy than with our backup QB. The point you should be taking from the W-L record without Jimmy is that he has missed A LOT of games and it has cost us a lot of wins. Those injury issues are part of why the FO starting looking to replace him rather than extend his contract.

Return on Investment and Risk v. Return
The issue is really the balance between how good Good Jimmy is and how often we see him versus how bad Bad Jimmy is and how often we see him. It isn't about comparing him to backup players--it's about risk vs. reward and return on investment and whether it's worth continuing to invest in him.

Jimmy was Dallas's best player in the last 1.5 quarters
Take a look at #3 and #4 again. As for #4, Jimmy knew that the LT was shifting over and he admitted that he just got overexcited and snapped the ball too early, but you expect us to believe that b/c there was a shift AT ALL it's not Jimmy's fault that he admittedly snapped the ball too early? That's DOA.

Back to #3, I encourage you to look at the pass plays in that drive. Notice that all were very short attempts that netted 2 completions for 9yds.
-Jimmy scramble up middle
-3rd and 4, Jimmy completed short right to Jennings for 5yds
-2nd and 7, Jimmy incomplete short left for Kittle (ball 1-hopped to GK, called fumble, reversed on review)
-3rd and 12, Jimmy incomplete short middle for Deebo, BUT Dallas penalty, Def Holding = 1st down
-3rd and 5, Jimmy incomplete short middle to Deebo for 4yds
Montalan watched the game but doesn't know what he's watching. :-)

Nah, Montalan just likes to make an argument so he get reactions. He wants to back up JG but can't use any details, so is hanging on with "all he does is win", which you can also apply to all the Tier 1 NFL QBs. For example, just look at the last 3 seasons for Aaron Rodgers.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oh, I agree on the needlessness of the shift. I posted on it already--moving TW to the right side on that play made no sense and I have no idea why Kyle would do such a thing. Maybe move one defender, maybe trying for an offsides, but even so, I think it's an unnecessary complication for what should've been a simple play.

And I think most fans agree that Kyle can get tunnel vision. That's the only explanation for why an All Pro TE like Kittle disappears from the game plan for weeks at a time.
Motioning TW is even more likely to incur a penalty, too easy for TW to move forward early.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy G > Brian Hoyer > Nick Mullens > CJ Beathard

Is the above even debatable? Other than Lance, those are the only QBs we've seen play for the 9ers since 2017. That's why we win with Jimmy, even with his inconsistencies.
You forgot T. Lance in that group

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lance did not give the 49ers the best chance of winning this season. That was obvious. But the 49ers simply cannot keep the No. 3 overall pick on the sideline for another season.

The 49ers need the cap savings from Garoppolo’s contract to keep their roster intact, including locking in Deebo Samuel to a lucrative, long-term deal. And this offseason is the 49ers’ last chance to get something in return to Garoppolo in a trade.

There will be a market for Garoppolo, and the 49ers can pursue recovering some of the future draft capital they sent to the Miami Dolphins in order to move up to No. 3 to select Lance.

Matt Maiocco
Botching the draft the way they did, not just for this year, but the next three, has left the 49ers no option but to dump Garoppolo this off season. Can’t keep his salary on the books without any top picks in the draft. Seems as though they miss a lot on 1st and second round picks anyway and find some diamonds in the lower rounds so maybe it’s not all bad

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montalan watched the game but doesn't know what he's watching. :-)

Nah, Montalan just likes to make an argument so he get reactions. He wants to back up JG but can't use any details, so is hanging on with "all he does is win", which you can also apply to all the Tier 1 NFL QBs. For example, just look at the last 3 seasons for Aaron Rodgers.
Difference being that QBs like Rodgers get credit for winning and only the most astute pundits give credit to Garoppolo for winning. Most, like yourself, only look for statistics in order to rate a QB. But give me that 35-15 stat any day

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You forgot T. Lance in that group
The topic was "why does the team win with Jimmy". Relative to the others, we haven't seen what Lance can do.

Just say you think Lance is a bust if that's your point.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers is a consistent Pro Bowl player and produced at an MVP level, while Jimmy has never and probably will never even sniff a pro bowl. That's why Rodgers gets more credit for his team's wins--b/c he produces a lot more of the team's offense than Jimmy does.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

JG does deserve credit to being a leader and galvanizing his team. Regardless of how he does it, he's got teammates believing they'll win.

As this Writer points out, CLEARLY he hasn't played well in the play-offs including 2019, but he's got everybody believing so Kudos!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Rodgers is a consistent Pro Bowl player and produced at an MVP level, while Jimmy has never and probably will never even sniff a pro bowl. That's why Rodgers gets more credit for his team's wins--b/c he produces a lot more of the team's offense than Jimmy does.
No doubt.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Well said as it fits my opinion.

Well the team has carried JG to this point so if there's a time we REALLY need him to be efficient, these next two games are it. He doesn't need more passing yards, more TDs, or more explosive plays, he just needs to execute efficiently.

In the OLD days, it was the defense gets you to the SB and your QB wins it. We shouldn't be doing it like the OLD days, but we have no choice. :-)

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JG does deserve credit to being a leader and galvanizing his team. Regardless of how he does it, he's got teammates believing they'll win.

As this Writer points out, CLEARLY he hasn't played well in the play-offs including 2019, but he's got everybody believing so Kudos!
Because most of the time he finds a way to get it done at the end. They've seen it time and time again so they believe.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well said as it fits my opinion.

Well the team has carried JG to this point so if there's a time we REALLY need him to be efficient, these next two games are it. He doesn't need more passing yards, more TDs, or more explosive plays, he just needs to execute efficiently.

In the OLD days, it was the defense gets you to the SB and your QB wins it. We shouldn't be doing it like the OLD days, but we have no choice. :-)
So what player on the team do you think is more responsible than Garoppolo for winning these games other than Deebo Samuel?

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been reading up on Grop trade rumors and the prevailing feeling out there is that he'll garner a 2nd rd pick. That's higher than I thought.

This article has 4 different trade scenarios...

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've been reading up on Grop trade rumors and the prevailing feeling out there is that he'll garner a 2nd rd pick. That's higher than I thought.

This article has 4 different trade scenarios...
What if its a higher Conditional pick for 2023, do we take it? For example, a 2nd round pick in 2023 which can become a 1st rounder if he plays 75% of the snaps? This is similar to the Wentz trade.

Or do we take a 2nd rounder in this coming draft?

I know this also depends on which team we trade with, but on the serface i will take this Conditional trade.