• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Garoppolo Next Year?

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that the article's trade scenarios are too optimistic. Honestly, I'd be thrilled with just getting Fuller or Marpet for Jimmy, without a pick included. I could see the Commies doing that but not the Bucs.

Unless Denver is prepared to offer 3 first rd picks for Rodgers, they're not all that serious.
Indy's HC isn't gonna move on from Wentz at this point. I think they're wedded together. If Wentz goes, Reich is fired not long after.
I think Miami ownership will insist that the new HC keep and focus on Tua.
As I already posted, Marpet is under contract for 2 more years at 10M/year.
The new Vikings HC, Rams OC McConnell, isn't going to get rid of Cousins, and his contract is all but untradeable/uncutable.
The Pack have Love, and the FO that drafted him isn't going to bring in a vet like Jimmy to "undermine" him.

While I agree that Jimmy is limited athletically, the problem is that everyone in an NFL front office knows that unless you want to offer 2 or 3 first round picks, Jimmy is just about the ONLY option for a veteran upgrade at QB this season. He is a significant upgrade over Rudolph and Haskins for the Steelers, not to mention the collection of backups in Washington and Denver.
Yeah man... all very good points. Something is gonna be in play, at least. The only thing I'm willing to predict is that a lot of shit that both of us think might happen won't, and some shit that we never thought of happening might.

If we end up with a 3rd pick or reliable talent on the Oline / defensive backfield, I'll throw a goddam block party!

Washington, though... you really think Kyle would deal with Washington? If JG and his agent can only get that deal done, I suppose it's a possibility.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Was watching a Youtube by Dave Lombardi and didn't realize we only have 34 or so players under contract. So while JG's cap saving will help, signing enough players to reach 70 will eat it up easily. Forget any higher end Free Agent(s) outside of our own.

Unless we start to restructure contracts, how do we extend Bosa and Deebo? Will Bosa and Deebo accept their current contract and we push the cost down the road? Don't be surprised if we can't extend one or both Bosa or Sanuel.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was watching a Youtube by Dave Lombardi and didn't realize we only have 34 or so players under contract. So while JG's cap saving will help, signing enough players to reach 70 will eat it up easily. Forget any higher end Free Agent(s) outside of our own.
I don't think that's going to be that much of an issue. The bottom half of the team makes at or around the league minimum. That's not unusual for NFL teams, b/c most teams' salary cap structure is very top heavy.

Unless we start to restructure contracts, how do we extend Bosa and Deebo? Will Bosa and Deebo accept their current contract and we push the cost down the road? Don't be surprised if we can't extend one or both Bosa or Sanuel.
Eh, extensions will be worked out with BOTH Bosa and Deebo, but both those extensions might not come this offseason.

Particularly not with Bosa being under contract for 2 more years (including the 5th year option). Bosa's agent will want more than the 28M/year deal that Watt got in Pittsburgh and he'll want that much whether Bosa is extended this year or next year.

I think Deebo gets done first. Deebo was a 2nd rd pick, so there is no 5th year option. That means 2022 is his last year under contract unless we want to franchise tag him for 2023. And he'll cost significantly less than the 29-30M/yr that Bosa will.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ESPN assigned some of its talking heads to each of the teams, Niners, Panthers, Steelers, Bucs, and Commies and they made what offers they thought were fair:

--Panthers: 2022 fourth-rounder and 2023 second-rounder
--Steelers: 2022 third-rounder, 2023 sixth-rounder, and half of Garoppolo's salary
--Buccaneers: 2022 second-rounder
--Commanders: 2022 third-rounder and 2023 fourth-rounder

Those offers look more realistic than the ones I posted from a different article--more 3rd rd offers than 2nd. Though a different ESPN article said a 2nd or 3rd would be realistic depending on the level of "win now" the team is on.

Last edited:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think that's going to be that much of an issue. The bottom half of the team makes at or around the league minimum. That's not unusual for NFL teams, b/c most teams' salary cap structure is very top heavy.

Eh, extensions will be worked out with BOTH Bosa and Deebo, but both those extensions might not come this offseason.

Particularly not with Bosa being under contract for 2 more years (including the 5th year option). Bosa's agent will want more than the 28M/year deal that Watt got in Pittsburgh and he'll want that much whether Bosa is extended this year or next year.

I think Deebo gets done first. Deebo was a 2nd rd pick, so there is no 5th year option. That means 2022 is his last year under contract unless we want to franchise tag him for 2023. And he'll cost significantly less than the 29-30M/yr that Bosa will.
I was thinking it wouldn't be an issue either until i watched Youtube. These are starting positions to fill (LG, RG, NT, SS, WLB, and NB) not "back of the roster". If we hope to resign these guys or FA "equivalents", it WON'T be close to vet minimum so just filling these positions will easily take up JG's cap relief.

We haven't covered Mack who at 36 years old, has decided to return yet? There is about $4M in cap space now before we trade JG.

McGlinchey and Ford will have enough dead money left, wouldn't make sense to cut them.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Yes, thats what i threw out, don't be surprised if neither Bosa nor Samuel gets extended THIS off-season. They can do it but it requires them to take their current pay before it ramps up larger after 2022.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking it wouldn't be an issue either until i watched Youtube. These are starting positions to fill (LG, RG, NT, SS, WLB, and NB) not "back of the roster". If we hope to resign these guys or FA "equivalents", it WON'T be close to vet minimum so just filling these positions will easily take up JG's cap relief.

We haven't covered Mack who at 36 years old, has decided to return yet? There is about $4M in cap space now before we trade JG.

McGlinchey and Ford will have enough dead money left, wouldn't make sense to cut them.
Eh, teams can't bring everyone back. That's the nature of the beast--we'll have to replace a few starters with rookies, former backups, and cheap FA pickups. It goes the same with most teams in most years. It's our turn.

RG isn't a real issue. Yes, it's our weakest position on the OL, but Brunskill is a RFA, so he'll be easy to keep on the cheap.
WLB, if you mean DFF, he's an Exclusive rights free agent. Again, Easy and cheap to keep.
SS is an interesting case. There is real talk that Hufango could be handed the SS spot and we let Tartt walk.
K.Williams played last year on a 2.3M deal. Even with a raise, he's not gonna be all that expensive.
LG. Tomlinson Played on a 5M/year deal, but outplayed it. If he wants double that, we might let him go even though He's a FO favorite.
NT. Always be wary of an injury-prone player that suddenly gets healthy n productive during his FA year. I think we let him walk.

We'll draft someone with an eye for replacing Mack in the near future. FO really screwed the pooch by taking Banks in rd 2 instead of OC Creed Humphrey who could've played OG until Mack was ready to hang it up.

We picked up McGlinchey's 5th year option, so he's going nowhere. This will be his year to audition for other teams.
Ford...ugh. Lynch's trade albatross. It'll cost us cap space to cut him. So we keep him and assume he misses the entire season.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the 29M or so in cap space we'll have after Jimmy is traded will go to resigning K.Williams and Tomlinson and our RFAs and ERFAs, and the rest will be aimed at extending Deebo.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Eh, teams can't bring everyone back. That's the nature of the beast--we'll have to replace a few starters with rookies, former backups, and cheap FA pickups. It goes the same with most teams in most years. It's our turn.

RG isn't a real issue. Yes, it's our weakest position on the OL, but Brunskill is a RFA, so he'll be easy to keep on the cheap.
WLB, if you mean DFF, he's an Exclusive rights free agent. Again, Easy and cheap to keep.
SS is an interesting case. There is real talk that Hufango could be handed the SS spot and we let Tartt walk.
K.Williams played last year on a 2.3M deal. Even with a raise, he's not gonna be all that expensive.
LG. Tomlinson Played on a 5M/year deal, but outplayed it. If he wants double that, we might let him go even though He's a FO favorite.
NT. Always be wary of an injury-prone player that suddenly gets healthy n productive during his FA year. I think we let him walk.

We'll draft someone with an eye for replacing Mack in the near future. FO really screwed the pooch by taking Banks in rd 2 instead of OC Creed Humphrey who could've played OG until Mack was ready to hang it up.

We picked up McGlinchey's 5th year option, so he's going nowhere. This will be his year to audition for other teams.
Ford...ugh. Lynch's trade albatross. It'll cost us cap space to cut him. So we keep him and assume he misses the entire season.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the 29M or so in cap space we'll have after Jimmy is traded will go to resigning K.Williams and Tomlinson and our RFAs and ERFAs, and the rest will be aimed at extending Deebo.
I know we can't bring back all of the starters but even to replace STARTERS, JG's cap savings will be eaten up fast. I don't know what each starter will cost but let me ESTIMATE:

LG - Tomlinson will get about $6.5-$7M
RG - Brunskill will get about $2M, but do you want Brunskill as next years starting RG?
NT - DJ Jones or 'equivalent' will get about $9M
SS - Tartt or 'equivalent' will get about $6M. Hufanga did well as a late round pick, but he isn't a starting caliber SS.
SLB - Al Aziz Shaair will get about $5M. We want him back as a solid back-up too, since we don't play 3 LBs a lot.
NB - K'Waun Willians or 'equivalent' will get about $6M

K'Waun, DJ Jones, and Tartt played on the cheap this past season because there was no market last year. The cap was super low so they had to play on low contracts. K'Waun will get a lot more than $2.3M. DJ Jones will be a big loss, he'll also get a big contract by another team so replacing him, won't be cheap.

I know Lynch will get everything done but my point is JG's saving is a lot until you realize how many starters are free agents. I also know they're going to push the cap hits down the road. We have a solid nucleus and have to add good talent now, the window is open so we shouldn't go "on the cheap".

We are going to "mortgage the future", but thats what we should do with enough top NFL players. All of there guys are getting paid as one of the top players at their position - Kittle, TW, Warner, Juice, Armstead, and soon to be Bosa and Samuel.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
""Deebo has had Garoppolo's back throughout the duo's time together with the 49ers. Leading up to the NFC Championship Game, Samuel called Jimmy G a "pure winner" and told doubters to check the QB's record as a starter.""

You tell 'em Deebo!

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know we can't bring back all of the starters but even to replace STARTERS, JG's cap savings will be eaten up fast. I don't know what each starter will cost but let me ESTIMATE:

LG - Tomlinson will get about $6.5-$7M
RG - Brunskill will get about $2M, but do you want Brunskill as next years starting RG?
NT - DJ Jones or 'equivalent' will get about $9M
SS - Tartt or 'equivalent' will get about $6M. Hufanga did well as a late round pick, but he isn't a starting caliber SS.
SLB - Al Aziz Shaair will get about $5M. We want him back as a solid back-up too, since we don't play 3 LBs a lot.
NB - K'Waun Willians or 'equivalent' will get about $6M

K'Waun, DJ Jones, and Tartt played on the cheap this past season because there was no market last year. The cap was super low so they had to play on low contracts. K'Waun will get a lot more than $2.3M. DJ Jones will be a big loss, he'll also get a big contract by another team so replacing him, won't be cheap.

I know Lynch will get everything done but my point is JG's saving is a lot until you realize how many starters are free agents. I also know they're going to push the cap hits down the road. We have a solid nucleus and have to add good talent now, the window is open so we shouldn't go "on the cheap".

We are going to "mortgage the future", but thats what we should do with enough top NFL players. All of there guys are getting paid as one of the top players at their position - Kittle, TW, Warner, Juice, Armstead, and soon to be Bosa and Samuel.
I think you're going to be very surprised at the players we let walk away in FA. And surprised that any rookie or young player gets to start in place of a lost FA.

I also disagree with a lot of your reasoning.
-Losing a player doesn't mean we're going to replace him with a FA at all
-if the FO won't pay Jones 9M/yr, then they arent' going to pay his FA "equivalent" 9M/year either.
-2021 RFA tenders were 4.7/3.3/2.1M. Shair isn't getting a 1st rd tender
-Brunskill probably won't be tendered and just like this season, we'll look at rookies and bargains in trying to replace him

Guys like Tomlinson and K.Williams are likely to be the FO priorities. They're FO favorites and pretty consistent players who didn't suddenly be their healthiest and by far most productive in their FA season. You resign one of those players and are smart to let the other walk away.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think you're going to be very surprised at the players we let walk away in FA. And surprised that any rookie or young player gets to start in place of a lost FA.

I also disagree with a lot of your reasoning.
-Losing a player doesn't mean we're going to replace him with a FA at all
-if the FO won't pay Jones 9M/yr, then they arent' going to pay his FA "equivalent" 9M/year either.
-2021 RFA tenders were 4.7/3.3/2.1M. Shair isn't getting a 1st rd tender
-Brunskill probably won't be tendered and just like this season, we'll look at rookies and bargains in trying to replace him

Guys like Tomlinson and K.Williams are likely to be the FO priorities. They're FO favorites and pretty consistent players who didn't suddenly be their healthiest and by far most productive in their FA season. You resign one of those players and are smart to let the other walk away.
Ok, we'll see what happens? JG will provide about $24M in cap relief and we'll see how fast this gets eaten up?

They'll get it done - filling starting spots - but they'll have to push money down the road.

I don't want to fill starting spots with just any ol FA's, 'young players', and rookies, cause this will waste a solid nucleus of Pro Bowlers. We can't go cheap on the O-line because we don't want Lance to be sacked.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady for Garoppolo ?

You know 2 years ago I thought it seemed foolish to entertain this trade, and in hindsight I was wrong. This trade honestly makes a ton of sense considering both QB's have no place on their current teams anymore. Brady won the Bucc's a title so if he wants to retire or play at least one season for the 49ers you'd think the Bucc's would be willing to grant his wish. If your the 49ers you'd like to play Trey Lance, but can you say no this time to going all in on 1 season with Tom Brady? You'd also be giving Lance a year to sit and learn from the best to ever do it.

The only issue should and as always would be contracts, but I don't think either team would baulk at it to hard. The Bucc's are still a win now team that suddenly has no QB next year. If they don't feel they can do better on the trade market a straight Brady for Jimmy swap lets them keep all their assets and still have a proven winning QB to guide the offense. The 49ers would probably like the cap savings that come with letting Jimmy go and moving on with Lance, but Brady is a guy that other players will take less or restructure a contract to play alongside for 1 year. Both QB's would also be in the last year of their current contracts so neither team is giving up future cap savings to make the swap.

Seems like a very far fetched idea, but at the same time seems like one that makes a lot of sense for both teams and should probably happen if it's what Brady is really wanting.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady for Garoppolo ?

The only issue should and as always would be contracts, but I don't think either team would baulk at it to hard. The Bucc's are still a win now team that suddenly has no QB next year. If they don't feel they can do better on the trade market a straight Brady for Jimmy swap lets them keep all their assets and still have a proven winning QB to guide the offense. The 49ers would probably like the cap savings that come with letting Jimmy go and moving on with Lance, but Brady is a guy that other players will take less or restructure a contract to play alongside for 1 year. Both QB's would also be in the last year of their current contracts so neither team is giving up future cap savings to make the swap.

Seems like a very far fetched idea, but at the same time seems like one that makes a lot of sense for both teams and should probably happen if it's what Brady is really wanting.
It could've worked 2 years ago, but Contracts are the reason it would not work now.

The trade idea works for SF b/c they could sit Lance another year and Brady's 2022 salary/cap# is only about 20M.

But it wouldn't work for Tampa. It's my understanding that if Brady is traded before June, it would cause a 32M dead cap hit--on a team that has about 6M in cap space and free agents like CB Davis, C Jensen, WR Godwin, etc. That is why the Bucs are keeping him on the active roster list until June, instead of putting him on the retired list. That way they can take 8M of the hit this year and 24M in 2023.

There's also a lack of flexibility for both teams. Even if a trade were to occur after June 1, that means the Niners would have had to carry Jimmy's 25M cap number throughout the offseason until June--i.e., couldn't use any of it to sign or resign anyone.

Definitely far-fetched.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could've worked 2 years ago, but Contracts are the reason it would not work now.

The trade idea works for SF b/c they could sit Lance another year and Brady's 2022 salary/cap# is only about 20M.

But it wouldn't work for Tampa. It's my understanding that if Brady is traded before June, it would cause a 32M dead cap hit--on a team that has about 6M in cap space and free agents like CB Davis, C Jensen, WR Godwin, etc. That is why the Bucs are keeping him on the active roster list until June, instead of putting him on the retired list. That way they can take 8M of the hit this year and 24M in 2023.

There's also a lack of flexibility for both teams. Even if a trade were to occur after June 1, that means the Niners would have had to carry Jimmy's 25M cap number throughout the offseason until June--i.e., couldn't use any of it to sign or resign anyone.

Definitely far-fetched.
If that's the case sounds more likely that we'd still trade Jimmy for Draft capital, but the Bucc's would just have to release Brady. If he really wants to come play for the 49ers I don't see how Tampa could do anything other than release him. They could ask him to redo his contract maybe to give them more cap room relief in return, but would they really want to be known as the organization that denied the GOAT his dream of playing for his childhood team? Would they want to be the organization that basically told the GOAT to just stay retired? I just don't think any team would want that media and fan backlash not to mention how the players would take it and what that could mean in how they view playing for the Bucc's.

The question then would be us have the cap room to sign Brady and would he want to play 1 year for us badly enough to make the numbers work.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Brady for Garoppolo ?

You know 2 years ago I thought it seemed foolish to entertain this trade, and in hindsight I was wrong. This trade honestly makes a ton of sense considering both QB's have no place on their current teams anymore. Brady won the Bucc's a title so if he wants to retire or play at least one season for the 49ers you'd think the Bucc's would be willing to grant his wish. If your the 49ers you'd like to play Trey Lance, but can you say no this time to going all in on 1 season with Tom Brady? You'd also be giving Lance a year to sit and learn from the best to ever do it.

My opinion is go forward with Trey Lance. He already sat a year and is 'indoctrined' into the NFL life. We know he still needs game reps but don't feel he's going to take a long time to reach "winning QB". I think after the Pre-Season and 3-4 games, he'll reach a level where the team doesn't need to carry him. As the season goes on he'll contribute more and more to winning games.

Not saying he'll be a Pro Bowl level QB after 3-4 games, but capable enough where he's adding to the team.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Definitely far-fetched.
Agree, it doesn't make sense to add Brady NOW, nor A. Rodgers for that matter. We committed to Trey Lance and he needs to get started this season.

The issue will be back-up QB and one person (Dave Lombardi?) had a good suggestion in Tyrod Taylor.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If that's the case sounds more likely that we'd still trade Jimmy for Draft capital, but the Bucc's would just have to release Brady. If he really wants to come play for the 49ers I don't see how Tampa could do anything other than release him. They could ask him to redo his contract maybe to give them more cap room relief in return, but would they really want to be known as the organization that denied the GOAT his dream of playing for his childhood team? Would they want to be the organization that basically told the GOAT to just stay retired? I just don't think any team would want that media and fan backlash not to mention how the players would take it and what that could mean in how they view playing for the Bucc's.

The question then would be us have the cap room to sign Brady and would he want to play 1 year for us badly enough to make the numbers work.
We should take draft capital to help us fill the roster, plus we choose where to fill. We may not get an instant quality starter but we'll get someone who can (should) play.

We need every bit of JG's cap savings to sign our own FA's and there are bunch of them. IF possible, we should sign our own good FA's such as Tomlinson, DJ Jones, and Arden Key.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that's the case sounds more likely that we'd still trade Jimmy for Draft capital, but the Bucc's would just have to release Brady.
If he really wants to come play for the 49ers I don't see how Tampa could do anything other than release him. They could ask him to redo his contract maybe to give them more cap room relief in return, but would they really want to be known as the organization that denied the GOAT his dream of playing for his childhood team? Would they want to be the organization that basically told the GOAT to just stay retired? I just don't think any team would want that media and fan backlash not to mention how the players would take it and what that could mean in how they view playing for the Bucc's.

LOL, the Bucs aren't going to "just release" Brady. Even if that is what he wants. The financials of the situation all-but preclude it.

There will be no "redoing" of Brady's contract in Tampa--no matter how cooperative he is. He is only under contract through this upcoming season (2022 at 20M). The next 3 years of his deal are just phantom years so the team could spread out the guaranteed money they paid him for his 2 seasons and those 3 years void automatically.

Tampa will not trade/retire him before June b/c it'll cause a 32M dead money hit and b/c of the structure of Brady's deal, there is no way to fix it without wrecking Tampa's cap, and they're not going to do that "as a favor."

Even after June 1, I don't see any way they just cut him so he can play for another team while they deal with the consequences of him not playing there. They'd be the team that asks "if you want to play another season, why don't you want to play for us?"

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree, it doesn't make sense to add Brady NOW, nor A. Rodgers for that matter. We committed to Trey Lance and he needs to get started this season.

The issue will be back-up QB and one person (Dave Lombardi?) had a good suggestion in Tyrod Taylor.
Last year was the year for Rodgers--and we tried, but the Packers said no trade under any circumstances. We had our shot at Brady 2 years ago and we passed. That ship has sailed for this season.

I've seen Tyrod's name come up here and there. I think he'd be a good choice for a backup too. Still, he might still get a chance to start for some team that is desperate at QB and misses out on the Rodgers/Wilson/Watson pipedream (ala Washington).

I saw an interesting trade scenario where we sent Jimmy to the steelers and got Mason Rudolph as part of the deal.