• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Garoppolo Next Year?

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JIMMY MARKET
I have figured we'd get a 3rd for Jimmy, but I've seen some talk online about a conditional 2nd based on how well Jimmy and his new team do. He'd be an upgrade for several teams, but the hitch is how much money Jimmy will want in a new deal (it's gonna be higher than you think.

Jimmy's market comes down to which teams are losing QBs and which of those teams will be drafting one in the 1st rd and which won't. Of the first 4 teams in the draft (Jags, Detroit, Houston, Jets) only Houston might go QB, and even without untangling the Watson situation, they might like having the pick of the litter despite Davis Mills playing surprisingly well this year.

At 5 n 7, the NYG show up and that's where things get really interesting. Daniel Jones isn't good enough and the NYG will be cap strapped, so a rookie makes more sense than a veteran for them. At 6, the Panthers HC is desperate, so Jimmy could be an option for them. At 8, I don't see the Falcons ready to move on at QB yet, and considering how strong Denver's defense is, I think they'd rather have vet--where Jimmy would make more sense than a rookie. WFT at 11 could also go QB, but reportedly their HC wants a vet b/c he'll probably get fired before the rookie blossoms.

Then who knows what will happen with playoff teams that lost their QB--Pitt, maybe TB?

Contrary to a lot of the speculation, I don't see any of Rodgers, Wilson, or Carr getting traded.

If there's one SMALL consolation, we didn't trade away a high 1st round pick this draft.

Don't think a JG trade will recoup a 1st, not even a 2nd.
The Trey Lance trade looks ok so far.
--gave up the 12th pick last year (it was gonna be a QB anyway)
--gave up #1 in 2022, which will be 28th at best
--gave up 3rd in 2022, again a very late 3rd rounder
--gave up #1 in 2023

Last year's #1 and this year's look like the FO's calculated risk is coming off just like they planned. The real issue will be the 2022 season, and how much Lance struggles in his first year as a starter.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JIMMY MARKET
I have figured we'd get a 3rd for Jimmy, but I've seen some talk online about a conditional 2nd based on how well Jimmy and his new team do. He'd be an upgrade for several teams, but the hitch is how much money Jimmy will want in a new deal (it's gonna be higher than you think.

Jimmy's market comes down to which teams are losing QBs and which of those teams will be drafting one in the 1st rd and which won't. Of the first 4 teams in the draft (Jags, Detroit, Houston, Jets) only Houston might go QB, and even without untangling the Watson situation, they might like having the pick of the litter despite Davis Mills playing surprisingly well this year.

At 5 n 7, the NYG show up and that's where things get really interesting. Daniel Jones isn't good enough and the NYG will be cap strapped, so a rookie makes more sense than a veteran for them. At 6, the Panthers HC is desperate, so Jimmy could be an option for them. At 8, I don't see the Falcons ready to move on at QB yet, and considering how strong Denver's defense is, I think they'd rather have vet--where Jimmy would make more sense than a rookie. WFT at 11 could also go QB, but reportedly their HC wants a vet b/c he'll probably get fired before the rookie blossoms.

Then who knows what will happen with playoff teams that lost their QB--Pitt, maybe TB?

Contrary to a lot of the speculation, I don't see any of Rodgers, Wilson, or Carr getting traded.

--gave up #1 in 2023

Last year's #1 and this year's look like the FO's calculated risk is coming off just like they planned. The real issue will be the 2022 season, and how much Lance struggles in his first year as a starter.

The only thing I can say in response is... "it's complicated". Jimmy has a year left on his deal. I don't think he will go to any of the Jags, Det, Hou, Jets... or similar teams that aren't competitive. And I don't think that Lynch/Shanahan will send him to a place like that. I really think they will do their best to send him to a Pit, Den, NOLA, etc. I just think he'll want to go to a good team, and the FO will try really try to get him there - otherwise, we'll just cut him. Unless there's a three-way deal or something - he's gonna go to a decent team, or we cut him and let him control his own destiny. I don't think that the FO will want to be viewed by his friends in the locker room (or around the league) as the guys that sent Jimmy out to pasture.

There is a chance he stays... although I think it's a small chance, and only if he restructures his deal. This year (and the previous 3 years) Jimmy's been paid as a top-5 QB. Next year, those stats get skewed by a few deals... some that make sense (Wilson), some that are just cap-related red herrings (Ryan). Jimmy's $27M looks more reasonable against the 2022 cap figures - but I still think at $27M, most GM's think he's over-priced. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm not saying you are wrong for thinking he'll want to minimally earn $30M... I just don't think there's a market for him at that price. Again, I could totally be wrong... comparing last year's cap #'s to next years for the QB position are just wacky, and most of my positioning is based on this year's cap numbers.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JIMMY MARKET

--gave up #1 in 2023

I think they paid way too much for a guy who has just as much chance to be a bust tad a star

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The haters were trumpeting Garoppolo's departure in the Rams game "Its Jimmy's last game in a 49er uniform" they crowed. Nope, Garoppolo wins
The haters then screeched " Dallas will be Garoppolo's last game as a Niner" Nope, Garoppolo wins again
The haters squealed in glee again as the Green Bay game approached "This will surely be Garoppolo's last game as a Niner", they cried. Nope, Jimmy wins again.

What is a hater to do when Garoppolo just keeps on winning?

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The haters were trumpeting Garoppolo's departure in the Rams game "Its Jimmy's last game in a 49er uniform" they crowed. Nope, Garoppolo wins
The haters then screeched " Dallas will be Garoppolo's last game as a Niner" Nope, Garoppolo wins again
The haters squealed in glee again as the Green Bay game approached "This will surely be Garoppolo's last game as a Niner", they cried. Nope, Jimmy wins again.

We get it. This is you dreaming about Jimmy's dong...

No one here is "hating" on Jimmy. Folks are discussing the situation that the team currently finds itself in. You keep complaining about spilled milk like a grumpy, old, pop corn fart.

Teach me something, grandpa.... just once, instead of complaining.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We get it. This is you dreaming about Jimmy's dong...

No one here is "hating" on Jimmy. Folks are discussing the situation that the team currently finds itself in. You keep complaining about spilled milk like a grumpy, old, pop corn fart.

Teach me something, grandpa.... just once, instead of complaining.
Haha what a child

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's me, gramps. Just treating you with the level of respect that you inspire and deserve.
Poor little guy. They shouldn’t let pre teens on this board

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering the lack of QB talent in the Draft and the number of good teams likely to be in the market for a veteran QB the 49ers should be able to at least get a 2nd round pick for JG. They could get more as Jimmy might be the best QB available if Rodgers and Wilson are not moved. Kirk Cousins and Matt Ryan might be made available but Jimmy is a much cheaper option and a more proven winner at this stage of their careers.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's the small victories in life that matter....

I've still got him at a 3rd right now. Maybe we get a 2nd if he shows up big for the rest of the playoffs. All of the things that have made the FO hesitant about him have showed up in these first two playoff games. Thank god the defense and ST have been balling! It is a team game, and Jimmy is doing his part when it counts - certainly can't fault him for that!! But it's hard not to look at things and wonder what more consistent QB play could bring.
Ok, i'll go with a 3rd rounder too. Although the 49ers are winning huge games, it isn't because JG is playing well. Other NFL teams can see this and won't offer a 1st rounder.

Yes, its clear mainly the defense has gotten us to this point. Of course the entire team contributes but its even more obvious now, defense! We've gotten to the point in the play-offs where the QB needs to kick in. JG needs an efficient, clean game.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
JIMMY MARKET

--gave up #1 in 2023

Per Youtube pundits, there isn't a top QB prospect this season. So all of the big shuffling will be about the existing NFL QB's.

Yep, not all teams have the cap space for the top NFL QB's.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
JIMMY MARKET

--gave up #1 in 2023

Trey Lance will start slow being he's short of game reps, so next year will likely start similar to this season (team wise)? But by the 2nd half of next season, he could be playing similar to JG now? JG basically throws over the middle of the field, short and medium. Lance can do that plus expand the field outside the hashes, and vertically.

Lance will lack some intangibles that JG has now and is why i feel 'similar' to JG, not 'same'. JG has played 4 seasons and you can't just get enough intangibles without game reps.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The only thing I can say in response is... "it's complicated". Jimmy has a year left on his deal. I don't think he will go to any of the Jags, Det, Hou, Jets... or similar teams that aren't competitive. And I don't think that Lynch/Shanahan will send him to a place like that. I really think they will do their best to send him to a Pit, Den, NOLA, etc. I just think he'll want to go to a good team, and the FO will try really try to get him there - otherwise, we'll just cut him. Unless there's a three-way deal or something - he's gonna go to a decent team, or we cut him and let him control his own destiny. I don't think that the FO will want to be viewed by his friends in the locker room (or around the league) as the guys that sent Jimmy out to pasture.

There is a chance he stays... although I think it's a small chance, and only if he restructures his deal. This year (and the previous 3 years) Jimmy's been paid as a top-5 QB. Next year, those stats get skewed by a few deals... some that make sense (Wilson), some that are just cap-related red herrings (Ryan). Jimmy's $27M looks more reasonable against the 2022 cap figures - but I still think at $27M, most GM's think he's over-priced. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm not saying you are wrong for thinking he'll want to minimally earn $30M... I just don't think there's a market for him at that price. Again, I could totally be wrong... comparing last year's cap #'s to next years for the QB position are just wacky, and most of my positioning is based on this year's cap numbers.
I don't see JG staying unless Lance gets a serious injury in this game or we make the SB, and he gets injured in that one.

There are some good players who signed one year deals, we'll need that cap space to keep them. Most of these players are on the D side such as DJ Jones, K'Wan, and Tartt. Not to mention contracts for Deebo and Bosa, both will be the highest or near highest paid in their positions.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think they paid way too much for a guy who has just as much chance to be a bust tad a star
Every NFL fan knows the QB is a HUGE key. That is why prospects like Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, and Jones get drafted so high. Thats why Joe Burrow, Matt Stafford, Josh Allen and Pat Mahomes all got drafted high. When all of these guys get drafted, no one knows how they'll pan out, but you have to do it else be a bottom dweller every season.

What are your reasons for saying Lance has as much chance to be a bust? Be as specific as you can.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Even 49er fans know we're not winning due to JG. Yes, he plays a part but whats the FIRST thing fans think of when we win? hint - its not "Wow, JG won the game", not "JG did this and then he did that, and......". Watch TV and Youtube, the first thing they talk about is the 49er defense.

So America knows its Deebo, Bosa, etc. and then they eventually get to JG. At this point, they say the 49ers have by far the weakest QB of the 4 teams left.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't be surprised if the 9ers actually keep JG and start him next year. You gave up the ship for Lance and he wasn't at all impressive when he played. The JG haters willpick at every potential zit hoping to find some puz. If they can't they'll refer to the offense not scoring and not give credit for good game management. JG's better than half of the starting QBs in the NFL. He;s goingto have his hands full against the Rams and the naysayerswillnever give him credit if they get to theSuper Bowl, They'll give it to a WR or Rb or the defense, even if he throws for 400 yards and 5 TDs. Ithurts too much to admit that he's a better option than Lance

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll be gone.

You don't trade all those picks for a guy to be a backup for 2 years.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could be right. It'll all ride on how Lance pans out. Shanny and Lynch have bet their jobs on it.

It goes without saying that we needed an upgrade at QB and the FO didn't see a lot of other options out there. We looked at the vet upgrades--over the course of 2 years and change, we reportedly looked into Watson, turned down a chance to land Brady, and then tried to land Rodgers. Then we looked at the rookies, knowing that Lawrence and Wilson would be gone. It was either sit at 11 and pray that the QB we wanted out of Fields, Jones, and Lance fell to us or bet on Jimmy again with another long term contract.

Now, whether Lance was the right choice, I have no idea. But if the current regime was ever going to trade up for a QB, that was the time to do it b/c it was unlikely we'd have such a high draft choice against any time soon.