• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Week Thread: Packers @ Niners

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CJ voted ST captain for this week. It will change weekly voted the day before game day

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Welp, DeVier Posey is back 9 months after his Achilles injury...

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why? Mathews is a good player, and though he did have 2.5 sacks in the first game last year, he only had 1 in the second game. What other offensive lineman would you want going against him?

A. Davis did really well against Clay a couple years back

dreday

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
But offensive linemen don't flip flop. Like rush backers do.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully Kaepernick has had enough time to work with his receivers. I saw no sync between him, Boldin and Davis and of course none with Williams since he didn'tplay at all in the pre-season. I expect a very slow start and the defense has go to come up big.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm getting sick of Green Bay. I hope we destroy them.

All this BS about McCarthy thinking Tolzien had a great preseason so they signed him, Matthews talking about how the NFL rules say that once a QB takes off running you can hit him like an RB. Like that would have made a difference the 1st time around, once Kaep takes off running Matthews wouldn't be able to latch onto his jock strap let alone hit him. A bunch of BS. Green Bay is starting to sound whiny.

Green Bay sounds like an egotistical team that cannot accept they are one notch below the upper echelon of teams. They have a soft D and a soft O-line.

The most worrisome thing is how is Green Bay gonna stop Frank Gore and Hunter, and how are they gonna stop our pass rush? That's problem #1A and #1B. Nobody's talking about that in the media.

What else do you expect them to say? That they are no match for the 49ers and that Kaepernick is unstoppable? Green Bay has to operate on the wavelength that if you think you have lost, you have. They know what is coming and they have to say things to prop themselves up.

Obviously Green Bay should know that you can run away from your footsteps but you cannot run away from your shadow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hopefully Kaepernick has had enough time to work with his receivers. I saw no sync between him, Boldin and Davis and of course none with Williams since he didn'tplay at all in the pre-season. I expect a very slow start and the defense has go to come up big.

Kaepernick's completion percentage was 100% when targeting those two guys in the preseason. Granted it was a pretty limited sample size, but I'm not sure what more you were expecting to see in terms of sync.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when is the gameday thread going to start

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patience. It will be started at the right time by the right person

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Here's the thing with the Matthews' quote: if he's telling the truth, and the goal is to key on Kaepernick every time, that makes Kap's read easy, and he should get rid of the ball long before the end gets to him. It's not really the fake that makes the read-option, it's making the right read on the end. And if the end does the same thing every play, it makes it a pretty easy read. Kap should just hand the ball off and raise his hands, making it clear he doesn't have the ball. Matthews may get in a shove every once in awhile, but that's no big deal.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing with the Matthews' quote: if he's telling the truth, and the goal is to key on Kaepernick every time, that makes Kap's read easy, and he should get rid of the ball long before the end gets to him. It's not really the fake that makes the read-option, it's making the right read on the end. And if the end does the same thing every play, it makes it a pretty easy read. Kap should just hand the ball off and raise his hands, making it clear he doesn't have the ball. Matthews may get in a shove every once in awhile, but that's no big deal.

I'm probably just dumb but I don't see how having a guy who always has to focus on (or in this case, try to hit) the QB doesn't make the read option still much more likely to be a good running play versus a normal running play. On a normal run you can key in all 11 guys to stop it and the offense in effect only has 10 guys who can affect the play once the ball has been handed of (rarely will the QB block or be a threat to be the guy actually running it). With the read option if one guy is keying on the QB then it goes from 11 vs 10 to 10 vs 10.

Or am I missing something?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaepernick's completion percentage was 100% when targeting those two guys in the preseason. Granted it was a pretty limited sample size, but I'm not sure what more you were expecting to see in terms of sync.

Hopefully they had enough work together. I'm not sure all this stuff about defending the read option is going to help GB anyway. I don't think it was the failure to defend the R O last year that was the problem, it was that they stupidly played man to man and kept turning their backs on Kaepernick who would then take off and run. If they play that coverage again, the result will be the same.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Exact numbers:

Kaepernick played 42 plays (24 pass, 18 run)
Boldin played 32 plays (18 pass, 14 run)
Davis played 38 plays (20 pass, 17 run, 1 pass block)

*Boldin didn't play against San Diego.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm probably just dumb but I don't see how having a guy who always has to focus on (or in this case, try to hit) the QB doesn't make the read option still much more likely to be a good running play versus a normal running play. On a normal run you can key in all 11 guys to stop it and the offense in effect only has 10 guys who can affect the play once the ball has been handed of (rarely will the QB block or be a threat to be the guy actually running it). With the read option if one guy is keying on the QB then it goes from 11 vs 10 to 10 vs 10.

Exactly. The threats shouldn't be taken so seriously.....sending a guy after the QB every play is a braindead strategy as far as I can tell. They'll have to come up with something better than that.

awclayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey purguy12, good to see you over here, lets end this weekend on a high note. Go ahead cheese and defend the read option.....guess Kaepernick can sling the ball as well...

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not great but at least back into field goal range... Hell I think the Niners should go for it with a quick slant to Boldin and damn Dawson summoned his inner Akers...

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
ESPN Stats and Info:

Anquan Boldin: only 49ers player in the Super Bowl era with 10 receptions, 100 receiving yards and a receiving TD in a season opener