• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Week Thread (Divisional Playoffs) 49ERS @ PANTHERS

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
23 of Vernon Davis' 82 targets this season have come 20 yards or more down the field - most in the NFL among TEs. Five TEs had 12 targets or more 20 yards downfield

Davis - 23
Graham - 18
Cameron - 14
Olsen - 14
Witten - 12

Davis has 3 drops among passes in that range, Olsen has 2. None of those other TEs had any in that range.

Davis had by far the most yards among catches 20+ yards downfield (409 for Davis, 321 for Graham, 180 for Cameron, 150 for Witten, and 51 for Olsen).

Davis had the most TDs on targets of 20+ yards or more (6 for Davis, 5 for Graham, 2 for Witten, 1 for Cameron, 0 for Olsen).

Olsen is a guy I'm worried about in this game. Whitner cannot cover him.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Olsen is a guy I'm worried about in this game. Whitner cannot cover him.

Olsen only had 1 catch for 14 yards and 3 targets in Week 10

I'm confident we can handle Carolina's offense without much issue but the question is if this game is going to be like Week 10 where Carolina is able to just squeak out a couple of more points than our offense is able to.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We let up a bad rushing TD last game vs them. Horrible tackling on that play. That was the difference.

Our D won't make the same mistake again.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm confident we can handle Carolina's offense without much issue but the question is if this game is going to be like Week 10 where Carolina is able to just squeak out a couple of more points than our offense is able to.

I think you are going to se a lot ore offense from the 49ers this time around. Kaepernick is playing better and he will have Davis and Crabtree this time.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I think you are going to se a lot ore offense from the 49ers this time around. Kaepernick is playing better and he will have Davis and Crabtree this time.

I agree and in that loss since we were without Crabtree, Davis (most of the game), and Aldon Smith we get the edge when it comes film study as well.

The difference between the offenses is great than the differences between the defenses which is why I expect us to win this game.

The Panthers defense is getting a lot of hype and deservedly so but it's like our defense isn't even in the discussion. The Panthers field a better defense but it's not like ours is too far behind as well.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree and in that loss since we were without Crabtree, Davis (most of the game), and Aldon Smith we get the edge when it comes film study as well.

The difference between the offenses is great than the differences between the defenses which is why I expect us to win this game.

The Panthers defense is getting a lot of hype and deservedly so but it's like our defense isn't even in the discussion. The Panthers field a better defense but it's not like ours is too far behind as well.

There was some good game breakdown on CSN Bay Area last night from the first meeting between these two teams.

The first was the TD run by DeAngelo Williams. Apparently Rogers was the man playing in nickle who was responsible for getting Williams at the point of attack. He flopped on the tackle as well as Reid and then Brown, which led to the only TD of the game.

Other tape showed the missed assignments on the running plays. I noticed in particular Anthony Davis and Boone getting lost on their assignments leading to the Panthers defense stymieing the 49ers running game on 3rd and short. The Panthers did a great job of getting to the point of attack.

The Niners should concentrate their efforts on Hardy, Kuechly, and Davis, who are their best three players on defense. Our OL has to do a better job of putting a hat on hat in order for our running game to at least get some yards running the ball. With the speed the Panthers play on defense, I wouldn't mind Hunter being thrown into the mix.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Protection and communication from our OL is key... like others have stated, the Panthers DL n blitzes really pushed Kap to making bonehead reads or lack of.... This needs to be corrected and hopefully fixed for the most part of the game...

With the quick pressure, I wonder if Roman/Harbs would install some quick slants or releases to counter the pressure? We all know/see Kap hitting/looking for the big gains but rarely checks(understatement) or would the first read be a quick slant or cross.... Their secondary aren't world beaters so I don't see why not.

NO READ OPTIONS!!! not that was an issue vs GB but many of the sacks or tackles for loss came from the read option... BAN THE OPTION! lol

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Protection and communication from our OL is key... like others have stated, the Panthers DL n blitzes really pushed Kap to making bonehead reads or lack of.... This needs to be corrected and hopefully fixed for the most part of the game...

With the quick pressure, I wonder if Roman/Harbs would install some quick slants or releases to counter the pressure? We all know/see Kap hitting/looking for the big gains but rarely checks(understatement) or would the first read be a quick slant or cross.... Their secondary aren't world beaters so I don't see why not.

NO READ OPTIONS!!! not that was an issue vs GB but many of the sacks or tackles for loss came from the read option... BAN THE OPTION! lol

How about a screen Cal? Wishful thinking, I know, but this could be the game to use it on them.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The whole Carolina offense played like shit. They only made one play all day until the 49er defense decided to collapse at the end.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed. Especially if Steve Smith is hobbled.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about a screen Cal? Wishful thinking, I know, but this could be the game to use it on them.

LOL, man I've given up on the screen element from our offense!!! Screens would be exceptional vs the pass rush but maybe we just don't have the guys to run it properly?

BUT Yoshi, if you caught the wild card gm, there was a WR screen play set up with Davis as a lead blocker that I liked very much. It got us a very good gain(maybe first) so I would like to see it again if it isn't obvious(later in the game they attempted again but GB sniffed it out)

Someone has to be open and its just a matter of Kap anticipating who it is.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, man I've given up on the screen element from our offense!!! Screens would be exceptional vs the pass rush but maybe we just don't have the guys to run it properly?

BUT Yoshi, if you caught the wild card gm, there was a WR screen play set up with Davis as a lead blocker that I liked very much. It got us a very good gain(maybe first) so I would like to see it again if it isn't obvious(later in the game they attempted again but GB sniffed it out)

Someone has to be open and its just a matter of Kap anticipating who it is.

I think we would all love to see RB screens lol

You right though. We started doing a lot of WR screens lately to boldin. I think even crab has gotten 1 or 2. They actually work pretty well. I think before crabs injury they used him a lot on those. I believe boldin has scored on one maybe 2?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
One thing I hope we add to the playbook is a little known play called the QB Sneak.

I never understood why we don't use it more in those situations that call for inches and less than a yard.

We'd be more successful with Kap keeping it because handing it off to Gore and whoever plays fullback gives the defense more time to crash the middle of the line and stuff the run.

Having Kap keep it allows him to get behind Goodwin and Iupati quicker and squeeze in those inches.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not really worried about this game more worried about us playing the Seahawks next week.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will also have A. Smith back at D.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
23 of Vernon Davis' 82 targets this season have come 20 yards or more down the field - most in the NFL among TEs. Five TEs had 12 targets or more 20 yards downfield

Davis - 23
Graham - 18
Cameron - 14
Olsen - 14
Witten - 12

Davis has 3 drops among passes in that range, Olsen has 2. None of those other TEs had any in that range.

Davis had by far the most yards among catches 20+ yards downfield (409 for Davis, 321 for Graham, 180 for Cameron, 150 for Witten, and 51 for Olsen).

Davis had the most TDs on targets of 20+ yards or more (6 for Davis, 5 for Graham, 2 for Witten, 1 for Cameron, 0 for Olsen).

Gotta watch Olsen in this game. I'd try to avoid putting Willis on him. He's struggled with TEs lately, and Olsen is probably Carolina's biggest receiving threat.

God, that receiving corps is worse than ours. Even without Crabtree, it's probably a toss-up.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not really worried about this game more worried about us playing the Seahawks next week.

won't go this far cause there are always concerns on a dreaded "any given Sunday"? sometimes a sports team just goes flat for whatever reasons. or the opponent is flat out HOT that day.

but ok, if we limit the mistakes (turnovers, penalties, and wasted timeouts), we'll be in the game no doubt.

there will likely be bad calls and bad non-calls, but just play on till the end. after the game is over, doesn't matter if a bad call is confirmed/admitted by the NFL.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This has to be one of the worst things I've read and the guy gets paid to write it.

Rivera is just stating the obvious that anyone with working eyeballs that watch football and not look at box scores can see.

Kaepernick and by extension the offense is playing better than they were in that week 10 match up and the Panthers are going to have a tougher task with having the addition of Crabtree and Davis the entire game.

That's all Rivera is saying and I don't understand what's so hard to understand about that.

I don't like ESPN's team reporter schtick. It seems like all these guys are just playing the role of team homer, though the degree varies.

Having said that, he makes some decent - not great - points. The Niners were at home. They were coming off a bye. And they were enjoying a streak in which they were absolutely dismantling opponents. But they were also playing arguably the easiest five-game stretch of their schedule, facing three awful teams from the AFC South, and the Rams and Cards when they were struggling. Saying Kap was playing comparably or better at that time than he is now is a stretch IMO. It's more a product of not asking him to do much - he averaged 20.8 attempts for 179 YPG and 1.2 TDs in those five games; remove the AZ game those numbers fall to 18.75 attempts for 160.75 YPG and 1 TD. And, as many have noted, the Niners' offense was hamstrung with injuries to Crabtree and Davis.

Of course, he also overlooks the main reason we lost: because I wasn't wearing my lucky jersey and planted in front of my TV before kickoff.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
won't go this far cause there are always concerns on a dreaded "any given Sunday"? sometimes a sports team just goes flat for whatever reasons. or the opponent is flat out HOT that day.

but ok, if we limit the mistakes (turnovers, penalties, and wasted timeouts), we'll be in the game no doubt.

there will likely be bad calls and bad non-calls, but just play on till the end. after the game is over, doesn't matter if a bad call is confirmed/admitted by the NFL.

I agree. Any given Sunday

While I'm not as nervous for this one as I was for Green Bay. It still doesn't mean shit lol

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We let up a bad rushing TD last game vs them. Horrible tackling on that play. That was the difference.

Our D won't make the same mistake again.

They had several drops on longer balls, and some missed throws, though. Anyone thinking this game will be an easy game is fooling themselves IMO. We'll have traveled further this week (roughly 6,000 miles without considering the return flight) than Chicago and Green Bay traveled all season, and have an early start against a very good defense in what could be wet conditions. It's going to be a tough game.