• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Strategy / Stupid Play Calling / Garrett / Linehan

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was curious to see exactly what they original squads looked like. I was not surprised the defenses weren't close in talent, but what did surprise me was Baltimore had more OFFENSIVE talent as well. A couple of guys from both squads were rookies, but here is a quick comparison

Cowboys
QB Kitna
RB Barber
FB C Gronkowski
WR R Williams, Austin, Dez(rookie)
TE Witten
OL Free, Kosier, Gurode, Davis, Colombo
DL Bowen, Olshansky, Ratliff
LB Brooking, James, Ware, Spencer
DB Newman, Jenkins, Sensabaugh, Ball

Ravens
QB Flacco
RB R Rice
FB McClain
WR Mason, Clayton, Williams
TE Heap
OL Gaither, Grubbs, Brown, Yanda, W Anderson
DL Ngata, Banin, T Pryce
LB T Suggs, R Lewis, B Scott, Johnson
DB C McAlister, S Rolle, E Reed, J Leonhard

The talent they began with isn't close. Now, you talked about the Ravens being a shell of what they were, but the bottom line is, if Harbaugh is such a great coach, why is his team 3-4, while Garrett, starting a rookie QB, is sitting 6-1?

Okay, just for clarity are you comparing Garrett's half 2010 to Harbaugh's 2008? Just want to make sure we are on the same page...

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, just for clarity are you comparing Garrett's half 2010 to Harbaugh's 2008? Just want to make sure we are on the same page...
I'm comparing the talent Harbaugh had his first season to the pile of poop Garrett went 5-3 with when he started. I have to tell you, the more I look at it, I actually think Garrett has done a better job. You posted each guys winning percentage....personally, I can't hold last seasons 4-12 against JG, no Romo, no Murray, no Sean Lee, team decimated by injury....if you take that 4-12 season out, do you know what Garrett's winning percentage is? Try 59.4% (Harbaugh is 59.3%). Basically the same winning percentage, and if you try and say they've had the same talent, I'll have to laugh in your face. JG is getting better, and I think the best for him is yet to come. I wouldn't be surprised to see him here the next 10 years and win 100+ games in that span

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll say this much with regards to my position of NFL head coach in today's game.

These are not the days of Lomdardi drawing up the sweep on a chalk board and demanding excellence. I think the job in today's game is more Monday to Saturday...the environment set, it's consistency, and fairness. The importance of having your team buy all in on your message and team vision remains the most important aspect to being a successful NFL head coach in my not so humble opinion.

I think this all started cause I promoted Garrett to the head of the line for coach of the year consideration. That wasn't intended as Garrett is a top 5 NFL head coach today, only that through 7 games, he's done a hell of a job.
BUT THAT's THE THING...Dallas fans by and large don't want to give Garrett that much credit. They have trouble acknowledging that when his resume has poor game and clock management from seasons past. This thread shows this the moment I posted Garrett and coach of the year. Look...I screamed as loud as anyone when he called that time out in Arizona to ice his own kicker. I just think he's doing a nice job, worth consideration and not many could do what he's doing with Jerry as the CEO

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I'm a sucker for interviews but just watch Wittens interview yesterday . He talks about having to win a certain way and how they have bought in. To me, that's a a huge chunk of Garrett and what he is about.

Then you listen to Dez. He is preaching pretty much the same thing. I know he also talks about Cleveland being a great team and some will question his credibility- but his words are mostly about team.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I'm a sucker for interviews but just watch Wittens interview yesterday . He talks about having to win a certain way and how they have bought in. To me, that's a a huge chunk of Garrett and what he is about.

Then you listen to Dez. He is preaching pretty much the same thing. I know he also talks about Cleveland being a great team and some will question his credibility- but his words are mostly about team.
You know what else. You see how these guys look like they are having fun? The celebration after the Philly win? The talk of the light and fun atmosphere in the locker room? These guys are loving being a part of the Dallas Cowboys this year. Some of the problem guys are gone and everyone just wants to play Football.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Marty Bennett had spent his time here learning everything he could about being a pro, he'd be the best TE in the NFL

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way does Garrett stack up to Harbaugh, and probably not Reid either. Care to make the argument? Harbaugh's resume is pretty exceptional. I will go so far as to say Harbaugh is second to only Belechik in terms of NFL head coaches - I just happen to like Zimmer a little more, possibly due to Cowboy bias.

Harbaugh
80-55 career record in the regular season - .593%
10-5 in the playoffs - .666%
Has been to the playoffs 6 times in 8 full seasons, having won at least 1 game every appearance
Super Bowl Champion, AFC Champion, 2x AFC North Champion

Reid
166-112-1 regular season - .597%
11-11 playoffs - .500%
Has 11 playoff appearances in 18 full seasons
NFC Champion, 7x NFC East Champion

Garrett
51-44 regular season - .537%
1-1 playoffs - .500%
Has been to playoffs 1 time in 6 full seasons
NFC East Champion

One of these guys does not belong...

You can make an argument for the other guys, I suppose, but not Harbaugh and Reid.
I just wonder how good Garrett would have been if he took that Baltimore job. No Jerry Jones and inheriting a dominant defense with a legitimate leader in Ray Lewis.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just wonder how good Garrett would have been if he took that Baltimore job. No Jerry Jones and inheriting a dominant defense with a legitimate leader in Ray Lewis.
Or if Harbaugh would have had the same winning percentage under Jerry Jones instead of Ozzie Newsome...

nutz6977

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say the credit goes to whoever decided to start drafting o-linemen in the first round. Coaches can only do so much. The players play the game and it is won or lost in the trenches. At the end of the day it is just football and it is not that complicated. You want to win control the line of scrimmage. The best and worst part about Romo was that he made a weak line look good for years.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say the credit goes to whoever decided to start drafting o-linemen in the first round. Coaches can only do so much. The players play the game and it is won or lost in the trenches. At the end of the day it is just football and it is not that complicated. You want to win control the line of scrimmage. The best and worst part about Romo was that he made a weak line look good for years.
The exciting thing about getting Romo back, to me, is that the Cowboys were an absurd overturned call in GB from going to the NFC Championship game with Murray as the focal point of the offense. With Zeke and an improved defense, a healthy Romo might get it done, though an improving Dak may as well. There's no way to paint it negative, unless it's from a desperate Skins fan

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The exciting thing about getting Romo back, to me, is that the Cowboys were an absurd overturned call in GB from going to the NFC Championship game with Murray as the focal point of the offense. With Zeke and an improved defense, a healthy Romo might get it done, though an improving Dak may as well. There's no way to paint it negative, unless it's from a desperate Skins fan
There is zero doubt this Dallas team can get to the NFC Championship game. That's as much me saying they are playing well as it is asking if there are really two teams in the NFC that anyone thinks are unbeatable??? And even if there were, we could skate both until the Championship game. If we can avoid any more big injuries and get a first round bye we only have to win one game to get there and it will be at home.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there is a very good shot of that happening. The rest of the schedule is looking pretty friendly - especially with Big Ben hobbled, the Ravens are beat up and Minnesota looking more pedestrian by the week.

A few weeks ago I was biting my nails while looking at the rest of the schedule. Things do look different now. But if we would have lost last sunday night Garrett would look way different than we are looking at him today. This is a week by week sport I guess.

I am one happy mofo as I sit and drink my coffee today.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll say this much with regards to my position of NFL head coach in today's game.

These are not the days of Lomdardi drawing up the sweep on a chalk board and demanding excellence. I think the job in today's game is more Monday to Saturday...the environment set, it's consistency, and fairness. The importance of having your team buy all in on your message and team vision remains the most important aspect to being a successful NFL head coach in my not so humble opinion.

I think this all started cause I promoted Garrett to the head of the line for coach of the year consideration. That wasn't intended as Garrett is a top 5 NFL head coach today, only that through 7 games, he's done a hell of a job.
BUT THAT's THE THING...Dallas fans by and large don't want to give Garrett that much credit. They have trouble acknowledging that when his resume has poor game and clock management from seasons past. This thread shows this the moment I posted Garrett and coach of the year. Look...I screamed as loud as anyone when he called that time out in Arizona to ice his own kicker. I just think he's doing a nice job, worth consideration and not many could do what he's doing with Jerry as the CEO

Good post and one I can get behind PDay.

Can you whisper in his ear a few things? Monday through sunday work on your penalties. Yes some do happen over course of game but last week was rough for me. Another thing that ties in with the penalties, keep emotions in check. Be the smarter players on the field.

And for the coaches, when in doubt run the ball.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post and one I can get behind PDay.

Can you whisper in his ear a few things? Monday through sunday work on your penalties. Yes some do happen over course of game but last week was rough for me. Another thing that ties in with the penalties, keep emotions in check. Be the smarter players on the field.

And for the coaches, when in doubt run the ball.
Don't hold last weeks penalties against them. That crew is known for calling everything. Any other crew and Zekes 60 yarder stands