• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Strategy / Stupid Play Calling / Garrett / Linehan

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great post..........my point exactly
I'm shocked you two agreed on that...

By the way numbnutz, if you read the board instead of just trying to infuse yourself in whenever Romo (Tony, not poster) needs your help you would have known that most of us felt running the ball on first down from the 7 was dumb. But, you take things to another level to promote your agenda (Garrett, bad; Jerry, bad; Dak, a nuisance blocking our hero; Romo, great). We call it a brain fart and you call it total incompetence. I guess I don't expect you to comprehend or care about the difference.

Yes we did get lucky to win the game, but at the same time we did what we had to. There was a lot of good and bad in that game. But here is all we should cling to:

Philly scores to go up 10 at the start of the 4th Qtr. Now it's crunch time when the big boys come to play. Do past Dallas teams come back and win this game? Not IMO. We get the ball and don't get a first down. Could be demoralizing. I bet you were thinking "game over we are going to be down 17 in a minute".

Philly starts the drive at almost mid field. FUMBLE, Dallas recovers. No quit from this defense. FG now we are only down one score. Philly comes back down and gets into FG range and Sean Lee blows up the play and makes them punt.

Down 7 and we start on our own 10. 90 yards TD. Tie game. Clutch. A couple nothing drives with time running out for both teams although we almost force another fumble to win the game. OT.

Dallas wins coin toss. Dallas takes ball and goes 75 yards. Touchdown. Philly never touches the ball in OT. Clutch. Different season, different team.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally 4got about Wentz getting drilled by Scandrick. Not sure how the hell he held on to that. I gotta admit the Eagles offense did not impress me at all. Sproles made some nice runs, but Matthews has got to be the one pounding it up the middle. I don't think Sproles can take that every week. All the screen passes they threw and 3 yrd slants - not sure I could put up with that. I think I read he had the lowest Yards ever 30 + compleions. Not sure if that's true but they seem limited. Kind of glad Chicago won last night to keep the Bears hoping. I was a little worried about Alshon going to them

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
y the way numbnutz, if you read the board instead of just trying to infuse yourself in whenever Romo (Tony, not poster) needs your help you would have known that most of us felt running the ball on first down from the 7 was dumb

SO.........I could care less what others on this board think........My posts aren't about kissing up or a popular vote. I don't need any poster to agree or disagree with my posts...... I'm not a fence sitter. That has never occurred to me.

COWBOY'S football has been about running the ball as their base offense...........The 70's and 90's COWBOYS were all about that......Time of possession......Keeping the opponent's offense off the field........Tiring your opponent's defense out.....That is DALLAS COWBOY football 101.........5 Super Bowl Appearances in the 70's....... .3 Super Bowl Championships in the 90s........
In 2014 ....1845 Yards rushing.......clock management.

The important strategy, in the Eagles game, was to score a TD or FG and leave the Eagles with little or no time on the clock..........simple logic......at least that makes the Eagles possibly burn their last time out and run the clock. The COWBOYS had 3 timeouts remaining........
Instead of the COWBOYS having a 3 or 7 point lead (because of a pass play call) They were losing at half time.

But I guess some simps on this board, are so accustom to 8-8 seasons, and Garrett blunders, they are numb to REAL game strategy......They accept mediocrity.

Where have I said anything NEGATIVE about Dak Prescott.......EVER.......??? I have said all QBs make mistakes. All QBs, like pitchers, have off games.......Dak reminds me, of a lot of the young Chicago Cub baseball players.
Dak is mature beyond his years..............

And go ahead, and defend Jerry Jones...........That says the world about you.........

Last edited:

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I am more,concerned about having Wilcox get lots of minutes than dak. I like romo but every time he gets hit he breaks something. you talk game planning and I just see dak as hard to stop. dak seems to rise and like I said in pre season he knows how to win. if zak played better early on then the cowboys blow them out of the building. I expect the cowboys led by zeke and zak to shred the browns

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SO.........I could care less what others on this board think........My posts aren't about kissing up or a popular vote. I don't need any poster to agree or disagree with my posts...... I'm not a fence sitter. That has never occurred to me.

COWBOY'S football has been about running the ball as their base offense...........The 70's and 90's COWBOYS were all about that......Time of possession......Keeping the opponent's offense off the field........Tiring your opponent's defense out.....That is DALLAS COWBOY football 101.........5 Super Bowl Appearances in the 70's....... .3 Super Bowl Championships in the 90s........
In 2014 ....1845 Yards rushing.......clock management.

The important strategy, in the Eagles game, was to score a TD or FG and leave the Eagles with little or no time on the clock..........simple logic......at least that makes the Eagles possibly burn their last time out and run the clock. The COWBOYS had 3 timeouts remaining........
Instead of the COWBOYS having a 3 or 7 point lead (because of a pass play call) They were losing at half time.

But I guess some simps on this board, are so accustom to 8-8 seasons, and Garrett blunders, they are numb to REAL game strategy......They accept mediocrity.

Where have I said anything NEGATIVE about Dak Prescott.......EVER.......??? I have said all QBs make mistakes. All QBs, like pitchers, have off games.......Dak reminds me, of a lot of the young Chicago Cub baseball players.
Dak is mature beyond his years..............

And go ahead, and defend Jerry Jones...........That says the world about you.........
WTF:L What post did you read that anything you just wrote was pertinent to or in response to? You write so much, but read and comprehend so little...

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will wait and see...........

It's happened with Garrett many times before. .....like freezing his own kicker in Arizona.
Calling timeout in the 2014 Green Bay playoff game when the ref had signaled a COWBOY /Witten first down / gave McCarthy time to call for a replay.

High school football coaches should have a better grasp at basic game strategy than Garrett.

But as I say.........just wait for a "big" game and a crucial decision.

The COWBOYS should have lost the Eagle game.........6 points was huge

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's happened with Garrett many times before. .....like freezing his own kicker in Arizona.
Calling timeout in the 2014 Green Bay playoff game when the ref had signaled a COWBOY /Witten first down / gave McCarthy time to call for a replay.

High school football coaches should have a better grasp at basic game strategy than Garrett.

You'd have liked that, wouldn't you.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

High School coaches couldn't hold Garretts jock strap at basic game strategy LOL.
Seriously, you do realize the Eagles players and coaches are getting paid as well, right? Sometimes the other team just makes a play, and sometimes they make a better call. The bottom line for the Cowboys is they are 6-1, and the bottom line for JG is that if he left Dallas after this season, he would be at the top of every NFL owners list that has a Head Coach vacancy

Eiknarflin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are all missing TheStarOne's point. It was a stupid game plan. I mean, after all, the goal isn't to win the game. Any buffoon could plan to win the game. Garrett's problem was that he didn't plan to win the game in the right way... you know, by not letting the other team have the ball, ever; by not letting the other team have their own game plan to counter your own; by making sure that you know, in advance, that a pass play will not work or, conversely, that you know, in advance, that a run play won't work; that you do everything by the book so the other team will always know exactly what to expect, etc.

Oh, wait! You mean the game plan is to win the game, which is exactly what we did? In that case, TheStarOne's point is idiotic.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
High School coaches couldn't hold Garretts jock strap at basic game strategy LOL.
Seriously, you do realize the Eagles players and coaches are getting paid as well, right? Sometimes the other team just makes a play, and sometimes they make a better call. The bottom line for the Cowboys is they are 6-1, and the bottom line for JG is that if he left Dallas after this season, he would be at the top of every NFL owners list that has a Head Coach vacancy

No he wouldn't. Where do you get this from?

Garrett has a job because he is willing to be the "yes man" that Jerry desires. If not for this arrangement Garrett would have lost his job a long time ago. He has had exactly one winning season in five full seasons coaching, and is on his way to a second in 6. He came into a situation with a franchise QB and a pretty good offense, and for the most part has had enough talent on offense to win games every year he has been here - injuries not withstanding.
Garrett hasn't been terrible, but I struggle to see how he has been anything more than average. And you claim he would have his pick of a job if he were to be on the open market? I strongly doubt it.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Norv Turner is available, we could use him as some sort of special adviser!

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No he wouldn't. Where do you get this from?
it's an opinion like yours is an opinion
No?

Question?
when Garrett wins coach of the year....will it be because
a) the players
b) other coaches
c) Jerry
d) all the above

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#1 reason
players play hard for Garrett and buy in to everything he is selling.

this seems more likely to me than being a solid "yes man" for Jerry

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Garrett summary. I've always said 6 days a week he is about the best HC in Football. All coaches have their strengths and weaknesses. One of my issues with Garrett was as a play caller, but that has been gone for a while now. I felt he panicked when things got tight and he stopped running the ball and just played scared - I think a lot of this was Romo too by audibleing out of runs just because the defense moved a guy up and going into panic mode and forcing things. I think Football is about imposing your will on the other team and hated when Dallas let every other team dictate how the flow of the game would go by playing too much to tendencies. I also think that at times he decides ahead of time he is going to do something and has little savvy for "in-game" changes and decisions. But again, that is long gone now that he doesn't call plays. Which leaves me with the one huge weakness I see in Garrett: His clock management is and always has been very, very poor. VERY POOR. He will sometimes cling to that last timeout like a life vest in the ocean. Use the damn timeout after a long pass and you save more time waiting for 330lbs guys to run 30 yards than holding onto it for a last second play. Take a time out before the 2 minute warning and you save more time than letting it run down and then using it after the next play. Time-outs are mostly math. I think he has made some bad decisions on throwing or not throwing the red flag. I still think his sphincter gets a little too tight when the pressure builds, but damn is he showing otherwise lately like the way he has gone for it on 4th down. The man grew some big ass balls over the off season I think. He knows the strengths of his team and he is playing to those strengths.

What I think he is good at is basically everything that happens during practice, during press conferences, during draft talks (we are hearing more and more the idea that Stephen is making these decisions is BS and it is Garrett), the fact that he listens to his coaches (bolded for emphasis) and that he does look for guys who love to play Football - I think he is a throwback in this way and I like that. And yes, he does know how to handle Jerry. Jerry can talk all he wants about when/if Romo will play. I am convinced he has ZERO say in it. This is one reason I refuse to worry about it right now. Garrett will make that decision with his coaches when he has too. He isn't going to make a comment to the World that he may ahve to back track on later on. Yes, Jerry may be in the room for those talks, but it won't be his call. The old days of playing guys based on their paycheck or draft position is gone. Garrett is flawed like everyone else, but I think the steady, deliberate way he drives home the message of doing things the right way is good for this team. I hated that he let Hardy play after missing meetings and we heard rumors about that with Dez too recently, but I haven't really seen proof of that one. He understands that sometimes desire and understanding your role is as important as talent. I don't see another coach out there that would help this team that we can actually hire. BB or Zimmer or a few others, of course, but they aren't available. I am happy with Garrett as HC of this team; warts and all...6-1 is 6-1. We don't get to give credit only to those we like and blame only to those we don't.
:2cents:

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really try to call things as I see um, and more often than not, I consider myself objective. I didn't care for Garrett getting the Dallas OC job in the first place. Saw it as a reach for a guy that had pedigree and high aspirations but hadn't earned this opportunity. Jerry went way overboard with this OC or head coach hiring from the start. I still see this time as one of Jerry's weaker moments as the man in charge of socks & jocks in Dallas. No argument from me about pass happy throw the ball all over the yard. I also think he certainly was a jerry yes-man while Bum's kid sat in the captain's chair. AND yet....he took his name outta consideration for the job most said he had in Baltimore. Then he got the Dallas job ( anything was better than Humpty Dumpty to me) Absolute FIRST priority was change the since of entitlement throughout the halls of Valley Ranch. Garrett did that, but he also in his first 5 years or so sucked at game management, clock management and taking that TO in Arizona was smart guy being as football stupid as football stupid could be in the moment. Garrett rolled through Romo friendly and all that was jerry. I don't question any of that. The guy was on the job training

BUT>>>

I think of my own career. I learned over time and I'm smarter for the experience. I became confident in my beliefs and started pressing those ideals. I got better over time and I sometimes shake my head at thoughts of my earlier days. I think Garrett has learned a hell of a lot too. Grown to the position and I think the culture in the Dallas locker room is as good as any team in football today. I think Garrett changed the culture with the Jones and the real jones yes-men within this organization. Over time, Garrett has changed the scouting department's direction (not the jones boys) and this teams draft targets starting with Smith at #9. Garrett has much to do with the coordinators here and electing to stay here. Garrett's ego isn't larger than team...which is what he asks of his team. Garrett put 2014 together and I think it was his vision this year's team remains that 2014 team. I think he lead the charge for Elliott in the Dallas "war room" I don't think it was Jerry, nor Stephen.

Long ways to go but Garrett sure looks the lead part to me for coach of the year this season. Going to be hard to spin that if it happens.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally 4got about Wentz getting drilled by Scandrick. Not sure how the hell he held on to that. I gotta admit the Eagles offense did not impress me at all. Sproles made some nice runs, but Matthews has got to be the one pounding it up the middle. I don't think Sproles can take that every week. All the screen passes they threw and 3 yrd slants - not sure I could put up with that. I think I read he had the lowest Yards ever 30 + compleions. Not sure if that's true but they seem limited. Kind of glad Chicago won last night to keep the Bears hoping. I was a little worried about Alshon going to them
Wentz probably has 100 pounds on scandrick. scandrick also did the smart thing by trying to bring him down and not go for the strip. scandrick had always been a great blitzer