• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Game 163

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that I disagree with you, because I think a move of some sort has to be made, but move Profar for what player?

If Miami says Stanton is off limits, if St. Louis isn't willing to deal Taveras, Colorado holds on to CarGo, etc., what do you do with Profar then?

I agree in principle with your thought, but I also don't want the Rangers to deal Profar/Kinsler/Andrus for a "best available" player who doesn't bring back equal value just for the sake of not having a middle infield logjam anymore.

I don't want to trade Profar unless the value is there either. I'm not as big on Profar as some though. I was completely against calling him up and having him sit that much on the bench. He will either be moved or will be in the minors next year. IMO. Miami fired the president so maybe there's a chance they would listen now. I hope so.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry man. It was WilltheThrill that said it.

Again, you can't just say that a trade of Profar or Kinsler is a 100% certainty. I do think JD will make a concerted effort to trade one of their middle IF (likely Profar). But you have to have two willing sides to make a deal happen. As Winding said, the Rangers would likely only be willing to listen on Profar if it meant getting a young impact corner OF bat or a top-2 rotation piece. The list of available ones is fairly short. JD might have to wait for a market to develop for Profar to get fair value in return.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to trade Profar unless the value is there either. I'm not as big on Profar as some though. I was completely against calling him up and having him sit that much on the bench. He will either be moved or will be in the minors next year. IMO. Miami fired the president so maybe there's a chance they would listen now. I hope so.

Agreed. I'm betting Miami is the first team JD contacts. But from everything I've heard, the Marlins are insisting on building around the trio of Stanton, Yelich, and Jose Fernandez. It would probably take Profar+ other solid assets to get them to even consider moving Giancarlo.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that I disagree with you, because I think a move of some sort has to be made, but move Profar for what player?

If Miami says Stanton is off limits, if St. Louis isn't willing to deal Taveras, Colorado holds on to CarGo, etc., what do you do with Profar then?

I agree in principle with your thought, but I also don't want the Rangers to deal Profar/Kinsler/Andrus for a "best available" player who doesn't bring back equal value just for the sake of not having a middle infield logjam anymore.

I completely agree! Although I do think they try to move Kinsler if the right opportunity presents itself.

ashcan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Curt Schilling just said Wash got out-managed the last 2 postseasons and tonight too and it should be time for a change. Does he watch regular season games, cause he gets out-managed in those too

Outmanaged in that one gamer against BALT? I thought his team was just lethargic and had no pop. Tonight? I guess, but Longoria and Price just killed us. Sure we ran into a couple of outs on the bases, but I don't think that was Wash per se. Ian and Elvis did this in Game 7 of the 2011 Series after we jumped to a 2-0 lead. Had they not been picked off then, who knows how many runs we score. We might have a ring. But that's our style and it benefitted us when Rios hit the double to left to score Elvis. Personally, I don't think we got out managed. I thought David Price was great and our pitchers just didn't get the job done.

ashcan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
it was a fun ride

It was fun wasn't it? Hey, somebody's gotta lose. Tampa was bound to get us one of these time. We'd whupped Price's ass in big games, but he was bound to throw a good one and he did. Props to Tampa.

It's just too bad Ron Washington didn't make David Price give up more hits and runs and hold Evan Longoria to an 0 for 4. I mean, per all these ex-players, managers, and experts, Wash is the ONLY reason we lost anything. Hell, it couldn't be because Lewis, Neffy, and Harrison missed pretty much the whole season. It wasn't because we lost about 60 homers and 200 rbi when Hamilton, Napoli, and MY were let go. I guess it's the bad managers fault when you big power hitter is popped for PEDS, leaves when you have a division lead, and comes back after you've blown it because HE wasn't there.

Other than that, a good year. Being a long time, 40-year Rangers fan, it was a great year.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outmanaged in that one gamer against BALT? I thought his team was just lethargic and had no pop. Tonight? I guess, but Longoria and Price just killed us. Sure we ran into a couple of outs on the bases, but I don't think that was Wash per se. Ian and Elvis did this in Game 7 of the 2011 Series after we jumped to a 2-0 lead. Had they not been picked off then, who knows how many runs we score. We might have a ring. But that's our style and it benefitted us when Rios hit the double to left to score Elvis. Personally, I don't think we got out managed. I thought David Price was great and our pitchers just didn't get the job done.

I don't remember a ton about last year's game against Baltimore but there wasn't a story about that game other than the offense was shutdown by Saunders and the offense just had no life as you could tell from their body language. I bet a lot of that crap was Hamilton just bringing the team down with him throughout the progression of the season.

Last night? In game management I wouldn't say he was completely outmanaged although one can debate whether he should have pulled Perez or not at that moment when he was really getting outs and feeling it. I was surprised but understood it at the same time. I wish somebody was ready in the BP tho because Ogando's wheels were not on. Other than that David Price was an ace that was doing his thing and Evan Longoria boy...he's a stud and a gamer. TB is a good team and IMO Maddon is the best in the business in being a baseball manager so I don't think there's any shame in that.

This was just a weird and dysfunctional season. While I think Wash did a commendable job given everything that went on since the first day of last off season, he also made a lot of critical blunders with his ego and stubbornness in giving Murphy and AJ all the AB's they wanted. I can handle losing some managing decisions during the season but when you're beating a dead horse and playing Murphy when he's clearly not producing ANYTHING whatsoever that is something that needs to be called out and addressed. It's almost clear that if the team has veterans, Wash will always play them no matter how bad they are because of a prior track record. That's not the way you should be running a team in my opinion.

FWIW I am not a Wash hater by any means but just like you can give him some credit when things are good, you can also criticize him when the team loses and does not do goo.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was fun wasn't it? Hey, somebody's gotta lose. Tampa was bound to get us one of these time. We'd whupped Price's ass in big games, but he was bound to throw a good one and he did. Props to Tampa.

It's just too bad Ron Washington didn't make David Price give up more hits and runs and hold Evan Longoria to an 0 for 4. I mean, per all these ex-players, managers, and experts, Wash is the ONLY reason we lost anything. Hell, it couldn't be because Lewis, Neffy, and Harrison missed pretty much the whole season. It wasn't because we lost about 60 homers and 200 rbi when Hamilton, Napoli, and MY were let go. I guess it's the bad managers fault when you big power hitter is popped for PEDS, leaves when you have a division lead, and comes back after you've blown it because HE wasn't there.

Other than that, a good year. Being a long time, 40-year Rangers fan, it was a great year.

Wash is not the only reason but he's had his hand this season. I especially don't discredit losing Hamilton, Young and Napoli and do question JD and the front office but in terms of the managing of the season I think Wash made a lot of critical blunders especially with his lineups.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winding my Watch...How do you expect Profar to be #1 on the list next year? Unless we trade Ian, Profar will be moved.

Just wondering, who would take over at 3rd base if/when Beltre's legs give out?

Regardless, another interesting off season awaits. Read yesterday/day before that the Rangers will keep Moreland at 1st to begin the season, will at least attempt to sign Garza - don't see this happening to tell the truth - and will look for at least one bat for a combination of OF/DH (hopefully 1st too), and think we'll make a real run for McCann. He'd be perfect for us and we'd be perfect for him.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beltre is going to have to accept taking rest. At 34 years old it's about time he takes days off that will prolong his career an extra couple of years. Despite AB's angry face, Wash will have to put his foot down and say you're going to do what you're told. While I want him at 3B I think we're set there for a couple of years without having to think about it. The hammy is one of those things that we'll just have to deal with. Some guys just have sensitive and weak hamstrings no matter what people may do in the off season to make it stronger. I'd like to see Profar as an every day player here. I'm not sure what we get in return but at this point I think it's worth a shot to give this guy a full time role in one position. I don't know where to put him but I am not opposed to 2B and moving Kinsler to maybe be a super utility guy? Again that may not role well with him but it's worth that try.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beltre is going to have to accept taking rest. At 34 years old it's about time he takes days off that will prolong his career an extra couple of years. Despite AB's angry face, Wash will have to put his foot down and say you're going to do what you're told. While I want him at 3B I think we're set there for a couple of years without having to think about it. The hammy is one of those things that we'll just have to deal with. Some guys just have sensitive and weak hamstrings no matter what people may do in the off season to make it stronger. I'd like to see Profar as an every day player here. I'm not sure what we get in return but at this point I think it's worth a shot to give this guy a full time role in one position. I don't know where to put him but I am not opposed to 2B and moving Kinsler to maybe be a super utility guy? Again that may not role well with him but it's worth that try.

Problem is, wash is a players manager and he won't do that.

ashcan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wash is not the only reason but he's had his hand this season. I especially don't discredit losing Hamilton, Young and Napoli and do question JD and the front office but in terms of the managing of the season I think Wash made a lot of critical blunders especially with his lineups.

Sure he made blunders, but he seems to fall in line with some local coaches and managers of other DFW sports teams. Rick Carlisle, Don Nelson, Avery Johnson, all these Mavs coaches never trusted rookies. How many vets did Jerry Jones hold on to who were past their prime back in the 90's?

Bad decisions, yes, but losing Nellie was the icing. We got swept by PIT here in Arlington and they were all one run game. OAK beat us 1-0 in that series finale. Look at the losses in TPA and KC prior to the 7 game s streak. We were 3-4 on that trip and had Nellie been there, we might've turned around 2 of those, got out 6-1 and stolled in that first WC seed. Great players can hide bad decisions.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sure he made blunders, but he seems to fall in line with some local coaches and managers of other DFW sports teams. Rick Carlisle, Don Nelson, Avery Johnson, all these Mavs coaches never trusted rookies. How many vets did Jerry Jones hold on to who were past their prime back in the 90's?

Bad decisions, yes, but losing Nellie was the icing. We got swept by PIT here in Arlington and they were all one run game. OAK beat us 1-0 in that series finale. Look at the losses in TPA and KC prior to the 7 game s streak. We were 3-4 on that trip and had Nellie been there, we might've turned around 2 of those, got out 6-1 and stolled in that first WC seed. Great players can hide bad decisions.

Exactly. That's what Romeo has been saying for three years I believe.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Okay ... am way up in Arkansas but am sure this is blowing up all over DFW ... but when it starts and when Jackie pulls Nolan in ... the whole thing can explode.

In all honesty ... that might not be a bad idea.

TEX ought to not go "Bobby Valentine" like BOS did last season ... but when it unravels you might want to clean house ... Maddux and Andy Hawkins excepted.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm for deploying a Bing-based application where fans can input suggested managerial moves with a screen in front of Wash ... which he'll cover with a towel so his sunflower seeds don't goo up the screen.