• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agents

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Williams is 33 and seeking a 3-4 deal for about 5MM a year. If he doesn't resign with the Packers, I can't see the Hawks paying him that kind of money for a bench player as I seriously doubt he will crack the starting lineup.

Weirder shit has happened so I guess we will see.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darnell Dockett signed a 2 year deal with San Fran.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WR Brandon Marshall is officially up for trade. Sign me up, but a restructured contract would be necessary. I like him over most of the options listed here. If we land him, then we need to draft lineman on both sides of the ball.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Williams is 33 and seeking a 3-4 deal for about 5MM a year. If he doesn't resign with the Packers, I can't see the Hawks paying him that kind of money for a bench player as I seriously doubt he will crack the starting lineup.

Weirder shit has happened so I guess we will see.

Yeah, I can't see the Hawks signing him, especially not for 3-4 years with high guarantees (which is what the article eluded to). Look for them to try to get him closer to league minnimum, or slightly higher (if they are really in the hunt at all).

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WR Brandon Marshall is officially up for trade. Sign me up, but a restructured contract would be necessary. I like him over most of the options listed here. If we land him, then we need to draft lineman on both sides of the ball.

We'd be stupid to trade for him. His 2015 salary is $7.5 million and is guaranteed, and since it's salary, it becomes Seattle's problem (and why would he re-structure a sum of money he's getting even if he's cut). Trading him is the only way Chicago can get that money off their books, and Seattle shouldn't look to get that salary. Brandon Marshall Contract, Salary Cap Details & Breakdowns | Spotrac

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if I want either of them either, but here's an interesting look at what profootballfocus thought of them compared to Maxwell this year:

(Out of 108 CBs)
Tramon Williams - #33
Byron Maxwell - #45
Cary Williams - #49
Interesting I suppose.... but I wonder how much of that is a result of teams throwing a lot more at Maxwell because one of the other choices is Sherman.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'd be stupid to trade for him. His 2015 salary is $7.5 million and is guaranteed, and since it's salary, it becomes Seattle's problem (and why would he re-structure a sum of money he's getting even if he's cut). Trading him is the only way Chicago can get that money off their books, and Seattle shouldn't look to get that salary. Brandon Marshall Contract, Salary Cap Details & Breakdowns | Spotrac
Stupid seems a bit harsh. As I understand it, the only part of his contract we would be responsible for would be annual salaries and workout bonuses, which at the high is $8.5 mill in 2017. For a player of his caliber, that doesn't seem unfair. The bigger cost is probably the draft resources it would take in a trade.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stupid seems a bit harsh. As I understand it, the only part of his contract we would be responsible for would be annual salaries and workout bonuses, which at the high is $8.5 mill in 2017. For a player of his caliber, that doesn't seem unfair. The bigger cost is probably the draft resources it would take in a trade.

It's not what's owed to him later on (cause that could be restructured), it's the $7.5 million guaranteed for 2015 (which is 1/3 of our cap space). We've already got $7.2 million tied up in Harvin, and about $6.5 in other WRs. $21 million invested in WRs would make WR the highest paid position on the team, which seems like a lot of a run first team.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not what's owed to him later on (cause that could be restructured), it's the $7.5 million guaranteed for 2015 (which is 1/3 of our cap space). We've already got $7.2 million tied up in Harvin, and about $6.5 in other WRs. $21 million invested in WRs would make WR the highest paid position on the team, which seems like a lot of a run first team.
$7.5m is 5% of the 2015 cap. You dont think Brandon Marshall is worth that? That's only about 2x what an avg salary is going to be on a team of 53 that spends all of the cap dollars.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$7.5m is 5% of the 2015 cap. You dont think Brandon Marshall is worth that? That's only about 2x what an avg salary is going to be on a team of 53 that spends all of the cap dollars.

I think he's worth the money. The problem is the Seahawks have a to do list. Extend Lynch, extend Wagner, extend Wilson. Hard to say how much is left, to spend. The money it would take to get Marshall, is about what it would take to ink Maxwell to a new contract and it appears that the Seahawks don't feel they can swing that.

It's fun to kick the tires on these FAs, but until the to do list is done, I doubt you see any big deals done.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That would be a good move... He openly said he loved Wilson a couple years ago... I think they would work good together...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be a good move... He openly said he loved Wilson a couple years ago... I think they would work good together...
Yeah, it would be a good move ...if the Seahawks could afford it and still get their to do list done.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's worth the money. The problem is the Seahawks have a to do list. Extend Lynch, extend Wagner, extend Wilson. Hard to say how much is left, to spend. The money it would take to get Marshall, is about what it would take to ink Maxwell to a new contract and it appears that the Seahawks don't feel they can swing that.

It's fun to kick the tires on these FAs, but until the to do list is done, I doubt you see any big deals done.
I hear ya. But the first team Clayton threw out this morning on Brock and Salk when talking Marshall potential landing spots was Seattle. He wouldnt do that if the cap cost was prohibitive. I'm tracking the to-do list, but chronology may not work out exactly in line with priority because we're dealing with league schedules and unique personalities that don't necessarily line up with each other. This year's cap is over $20M more than what it was just 2 seasons ago, and this FO seems to have been fairly prudent in managing it. It's true we have some dead money with Harvin and a couple extensions to figure out, but if the cost in draft picks is agreeable then I have to think Schneider and crew can figure out the contract stuff to make it work. If they value Marshall enough. I doubt it happens, but I still think the draft resource cost will be the reason moreso than the cap dollar cost.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And one more comment on the to-do list: I'm not so sure extending Lynch is priority #1. He's exhibiting more and more of a self-indulgent personality, and I think there's at least a marginal chance he's cut if we hit the draft and he's still not checked into the net to tell the team what his intentions are. You only put up with that business for so long when you're talking one player on a team of 53. They'll wait on him for a while, but they won't wait forever.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And one more comment on the to-do list: I'm not so sure extending Lynch is priority #1. He's exhibiting more and more of a self-indulgent personality, and I think there's at least a marginal chance he's cut if we hit the draft and he's still not checked into the net to tell the team what his intentions are. You only put up with that business for so long when you're talking one player on a team of 53. They'll wait on him for a while, but they won't wait forever.
Why cut him at that point? Why not just pull back his offer, and make him play out his current contract which is even more beneficial to the team? If he doesn't like it he can retire; his act is wearing thin.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why cut him at that point? Why not just pull back his offer, and make him play out his current contract which is even more beneficial to the team? If he doesn't like it he can retire; his act is wearing thin.
Why cut him at that point? 1) because you don't want guys on the team who don't want to be there 100%, 2) to save $5M+ in real dollars and cap dollars that can be spent elsewhere. His act is wearing thin -- you answered your own question, really.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Torrey Smith just might be a good option for this team. He averages about 16 ypc and is only 26 years old. Really unlikely the Ravens will be able to keep him.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya. But the first team Clayton threw out this morning on Brock and Salk when talking Marshall potential landing spots was Seattle. He wouldnt do that if the cap cost was prohibitive. I'm tracking the to-do list, but chronology may not work out exactly in line with priority because we're dealing with league schedules and unique personalities that don't necessarily line up with each other. This year's cap is over $20M more than what it was just 2 seasons ago, and this FO seems to have been fairly prudent in managing it. It's true we have some dead money with Harvin and a couple extensions to figure out, but if the cost in draft picks is agreeable then I have to think Schneider and crew can figure out the contract stuff to make it work. If they value Marshall enough. I doubt it happens, but I still think the draft resource cost will be the reason moreso than the cap dollar cost.

Prohibitive would be too strong a term, but it would take a lot of juggling. I don't see the Seahawks doing a big $ deal like this, unless it's the prefect fit. Marshall is a very talented WR, but he's had his issues in the past. I don't see the Seahawks trying to fit him in the cap. I could be wrong and I won't mind being wrong, but that how I see it.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why cut him at that point? 1) because you don't want guys on the team who don't want to be there 100%, 2) to save $5M+ in real dollars and cap dollars that can be spent elsewhere. His act is wearing thin -- you answered your own question, really.

I agree that Lynches act is getting tiresome, but lets give it a bit more time to draw conclusions. He's going to hard to replace, very hard, so you got to use some patience, because there is no looking back. When he's gone, he's gone for good. I rather give the off season more time, before doing anything crazy.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Lynches act is getting tiresome, but lets give it a bit more time to draw conclusions. He's going to hard to replace, very hard, so you got to use some patience, because there is no looking back. When he's gone, he's gone for good. I rather give the off season more time, before doing anything crazy.
Sure....more time.....I agree, which is why I mentioned the draft. I think that's plenty enough time.