• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agents

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Season is over, for better or worse, it's time to move on. Here's who is a free agent this offseason:

Unrestricted (2014 salary):
James Carpenter ($2,431,364)
Kevin Williams ($2,078,125)
Heath Farwell ($1,666,667)
Jeron Johnson ($1,453,125)
Anthony McCoy ($1,350,000)
Tarvaris Jackson ($1,250,000)
Clint Gresham ($887,500)
Demarcus Dobbs ($673,412)
Byron Maxwell ($673,363)
Malcolm Smith ($656,475)
D'Anthony Smith ($570,000)
O'Brien Schofield ($570,000)
Steve Schilling ($517,000)
Will Tukuafu ($341,470)
Tony Moeaki ($303,529)
Bryan Walters ($268,235)

Restricted (2014 salary):
Michael Morgan ($645,000)
Jermaine Kearse ($570,000)
Greg Scruggs ($368,823)
David Gilbreath ($318,000)

Exclusive Rights (2014 salary):
Deshawn Shead ($570,000)
Ricardo Lockette ($570,000)

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since I don't know what the current cap will look like, I will go ahead and put forth an idea who I would think needs to be re-signed, until further information is made available.

James Carpenter - at a pay cut. He actually played pretty well most of the season, and though his strength will most likely never be pass protection, he was a solid guard this year in the run game.

Byron Maxwell - only if affordable. Maxwell is a solid corner, but he isn't a great corner. He would be a nice keep, especially since he knows his role in the defense. I am not as pessimistic as some about Simon taking over (he's only got less than half a year experience), but Maxwell would be better if we can keep him.

O'Brien Schofield - right about where he is. Schofield quietly had a great season, and had success getting pressure on the QB, even when others were quite as good at it.

Jermain Kearse - I don't know what the qualifying offers are, yet, but Kearse had a decent year. He didn't live up to what the fans had hoped for, but he did make some strides (despite his poor NFCCG). With the team not deep at WR, it would be difficult to let him walk without an offer.

Ricardo Lockette - I know he's a hot head at times, and he isn't the greatest WR, but his value on the coverage teams is immense and if we could get Lane fully healthy to be the opposite gunner, maybe we can have that amazing punt coverage back next year.

There are others, but that's a decent start.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maxwell is the biggest one in my eyes. It appears Tharold Simon is a huge step down from him. I don't see a scenario where we can afford him with Wilson, Wagner and a Lynch deal.

I think Kearse will be tendered.

Either way the good news is we have I think 10-11 draft picks to help replenish some depth.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, sportrac shows Seattle with over $26 million in cap space, granted that's before the restructuring of Russell Wilson (speculated could be $20 million per year) and Bobby Wagner (could cost 7-10 million a year). So we'll see exactly what there is once the big dogs are taken care of.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taking Care of Wilson will take some money, taking care of Kaepernick did it he hasn't done $hit.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we bring back Hasselbeck as our backup or third QB? I'd like to give him a chance to get a ring and also allow him to retire as a Seahawk.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure I'd keep any of the FA WR's, even Kearse. Hell, if it were up to me I'd dump Baldwin too, but no one will take on his salary and his hit would still be too big.

I would not be surprised to see Mebain cut which would free up 5.5m (only 200k of dead money). But with Kevin Williams a FA and they are already nowhere near as strong on the interior as they need to be, hard to say who they can go get to fill in those holes.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure I'd keep any of the FA WR's, even Kearse. Hell, if it were up to me I'd dump Baldwin too, but no one will take on his salary and his hit would still be too big.

I would not be surprised to see Mebain cut which would free up 5.5m (only 200k of dead money). But with Kevin Williams a FA and they are already nowhere near as strong on the interior as they need to be, hard to say who they can go get to fill in those holes.
Baldwin is due $2.8M in 2015 which doesn't seem unreasonable. None of it is guaranteed...until tomorrow! Cutting him would accelerate his 2016 $1.6M cap hit into 2015 but you would be removing his $2.8M salary from the books. It's certainly doable but it would be a surprise.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawks won't pay top dollar for Maxwell and they will not have a problem sliding Lane ( Not Simon ) into his spot. Lane has proven a few time he is a solid starting cover corner ( better cover skill than Maxy ) he just isn't as big as Maxy seeing as he is only 6 foot and around 195 pounds. Thing about Lane is his speed, he has elite CB speed.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can't see the Seahawks creating any more holes than they already have unless they have no other choice. Baldwin and Kearse may not be an ideal starting receiver tandem, but until we find out what Richardson can do for a full season when he's healthy and what Norwood can do for a full season, Baldwin and Kearse are our best options. I think the only way Kearse isn't back with the Seahawks next year is if he gets an offer from another team that is too rich for the Seahawks to take on cap-wise and still get everything else they want to see done get done.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone will offer Kearse more than Seattle should pay him. As for Baldwin, again he's under contract and not likely going anywhere, but if it were up to me I'd dump him in a second. You can't tell me we couldn't find 30 other guys with his ability that bring less drama.

Richardson? Last time he blew out the same knee he was out for a full year. Like 12 months. Same knee again. No idea what part of next season it will be when he can rejoin the team, but it sure won't be fall camp. And now that he's blown out the same knee twice can you trust him to make it through a full season? Not really.

Norwood was injured this year and is well behind in his progress toward seeing any real game time. Jury is out on him.

Lockette should be gone. Can't really justify holding onto him just as a gunner anymore, especially when he wasn't anything special on special teams this year as it was. You need a guy that actually can play WR if you are going to have them.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty harsh Wiz. While I think they need to try to improve the WRs corp, you can't just let a bunch of them leave, because you need bodies at least.
Baldwin has some talent, I'd hold on to him, even if his contract was up ( and it isn't). His drama bothers me very little. Lockette has improved, depending on the price, I would not mind him being back.
Richardson is looking like a unfortunate pick. With so many stud WRs in last year draft, it looks like the Seahawks whiffed, they took a chance on him staying healthy and instead he is down with a major injury, still some hope here, but you really can't count on it at all. Norwood will be given some more chances, but hard to count on him. Kearse is depth.
The problem is that last year was the year to find a WR. This up coming draft isn't nearly as good for WRs IMO. As for free agents WRs....gag me...I don't have much interest in other teams castoffs at WRs, Seahawks already have guys or bodies at WRs, better to continue with the ones they know.

Any way you look at it, it's going to be tough to improve at the position next year, unless they find some unknown gem.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted this in a different thread, but I think what the Seahawks need is a Bobby Engram type of player. Someone who can get open on crucial third downs.

I threw in a couple of names.

Reggie Wayne and Nate Washington.

Reggie is unlikely to leave Indy but what do you guys think of Nate Washington? He's 6'1 (good size) and has been pretty productive his entire career.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted this in a different thread, but I think what the Seahawks need is a Bobby Engram type of player. Someone who can get open on crucial third downs.

I threw in a couple of names.

Reggie Wayne and Nate Washington.

Reggie is unlikely to leave Indy but what do you guys think of Nate Washington? He's 6'1 (good size) and has been pretty productive his entire career.

Normally I agree with what you post, but I'd rather not sign either of these players. Both are on the down side of their careers and free agents WRs rarely work out anyway. This is one position that should be home grown IMO.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, sportrac shows Seattle with over $26 million in cap space, granted that's before the restructuring of Russell Wilson (speculated could be $20 million per year) and Bobby Wagner (could cost 7-10 million a year). So we'll see exactly what there is once the big dogs are taken care of.

Is that also taking into account the increase in the cap space projected for this year for all NFL teams? Initial projects were 8-10 million would be the increase. Maybe even higher.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that also taking into account the increase in the cap space projected for this year for all NFL teams? Initial projects were 8-10 million would be the increase. Maybe even higher.

I believe so (they usually adjust for the speculated cap space), but it will be adjusted once the final numbers come out.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To comment on Kearse the RFA tenders are the following

2.8 million for a 1st round tender

2.0 million for a 2nd round tender

I say we give Kearse the 2nd round tender and if someone jumps on that we let him go and take the pick. Otherwise 2 mil for a player like Kearse isn't too bad.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I say we give Kearse the 2nd round tender and if someone jumps on that we let him go and take the pick. Otherwise 2 mil for a player like Kearse isn't too bad.

:agree:

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think we can expect much if anything from P-Rich next year which makes addressing the receiver position that much more important.

Regarding Baldwin: I would not go as far as to say I want him cut but his act the last few weeks has been disappointing. To put his personal agenda ahead of the team in the Superbowl is unacceptable. Couple that with his unnecessary rant at the end of the Greenbay game kinda makes he tired of this whole "pedestrian receiver" a tiring at this point.

As always it will be tough to lure free agent receivers because of our offense and limited $ we can pay.

I would draft a receiver with one of our 1st two picks, keep Kearse on his tender and add maybe a lower level FA.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree: