• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free agents headed towards the sun?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just when the Lions finally have a little cap space to work with, other teams have double the amount to spend. Will any teams be able to lure players away from teams like Jacksonville, Oakland, Tampa and SanFran?

It seems to me as if these teams will eat up the great majority of players with the space they have available and they are somewhat attractive destinations, given they are young teams on the rise.

I'm not sure what our Lions will be able to pull off.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just when the Lions finally have a little cap space to work with, other teams have double the amount to spend. Will any teams be able to lure players away from teams like Jacksonville, Oakland, Tampa and SanFran?

It seems to me as if these teams will eat up the great majority of players with the space they have available and they are somewhat attractive destinations, given they are young teams on the rise.

I'm not sure what our Lions will be able to pull off.

Jax HC is on thin ice so they have that going for them.

Chip Kelly will be, well, Chip Kelly and screw the pooch there at SF.

and you missed the Giants, Browns, Titans before the Bucs with the Bears ever so slightly trailing.

Besides were still holding 6M to the plus for the soon to be released Tully and that'll take it to 30M. Wait til next year when we don't have to pay some schmuck 13M for sitting on the sideline of another team in 2016 and he had already quit or retired unofficially and nobody was even aware but Staffy and Tully in 2015 for the tune of 20M.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just when the Lions finally have a little cap space to work with, other teams have double the amount to spend.

New GM BQ will straighten this fiasco out but never to the tune of teams you've mentioned above. Those teams had shitty players on bad contracts that they were able to get out from under on. Thank Mayhew for our dilemma through crappy extensions, shitty drafts, signing injured players, but he's gone now just like others and so we all moved on.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should just sit back and wait after the over spending flurry is over if anyone remains that they like make an offer then. This is not going to be a good of-season to get into a bidding war. We have lots of in house talent that needs to be re-signed or extended

what they're worth imo
Slay 9-12m per season
Ziggy 15-20m per (he can wait, but his price probably goes up)
Reiff 5-7.5 per
Warford 2-3 per
Riddick 1.5-2.5 per
Taylor 2-3 per

total 34.5-48 per (any of these guys hit free agency and the price goes up)

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should just sit back and wait after the over spending flurry is over if anyone remains that they like make an offer then. This is not going to be a good of-season to get into a bidding war. We have lots of in house talent that needs to be re-signed or extended

what they're worth imo
Slay 9-12m per season
Reiff 5-7.5 per
Warford 2-3 per
Riddick 1.5-2.5 per
Taylor 2-3 per

I am not worried. You forgot to subtract out what they are currently making. Subtract 15M (just a guess) for their current salaries and that leaves a gap of 20 to 30M. We will save another almost 20M next year just from CJ and Tully dead money dropping off and Ngata retiring. We can spend 20M this year, but I would get Slay done this year if we have the room.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

what they're worth imo
Slay 9-12m per season
Reiff 5-7.5 per
Warford 2-3 per
Riddick 1.5-2.5 per
Taylor 2-3 per

Buy that 5th yr option and if needed can non-exclusive franchise after that yr but I'd rather not go that route. I get that his price will go up but he'll be worth it so long as his play continues upward and he doesn't get a major injury between now and the end of 2017 being that's his 5th yr option.

Slay will probably be extended sometime after draft but before camp starts and we'll soon get a better idea of his market value after Jenkins FA signing, imo.

Reiff can be a wait and see depending on draft. If they don't draft someone to move him to RT then that 5-7.5M goes up quite a bit. That price will be just about right for a RT (7.5M might be a little high) but not LT.

Waeford needs to have an injury free year before extending and revert back to his rookie year play. I can see a buy cheap now due to the last two years sub-par play.

Riddick and Taylor I believe you're spot on.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt forget those teams, just didnt include them. I can see a bunch of players headed to Florida and Cali because those teams are on the upswing and I think most players like those big cities.

It will probably be hard as hell getting someone like Jenkins to come to Detroit over any of them. Even N.Y has the advantage, imo.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reiff can be a wait and see depending on draft. If they don't draft someone to move him to RT then that 5-7.5M goes up quite a bit. That price will be just about right for a RT (7.5M might be a little high) but not LT.

Think Bulaga just got a contract to play RT in the 7ish range per year and Reiff is better than him imo. I don't think any of the tackles in this draft could step in and supplant Reiff as LT not right away anyways(Aside from Tunsil who i think is going to be the best LT in years). I'd want to give Spriggs most of a season to develop play him at RT until mid season and if we're still in contention leave him at RT if we are not swap him over to LT. Either way i still want Reiff though i still think he can be a beast of a RT.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think Bulaga just got a contract to play RT in the 7ish range per year and Reiff is better than him imo.

I wasn't aware of that. I had looked previously on over the cap specifically at RT but they still have they mish-mashed.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think any of the tackles in this draft could step in and supplant Reiff as LT not right away anyways(Aside from Tunsil who i think is going to be the best LT in years). I'd want to give Spriggs most of a season to develop play him at RT until mid season and if we're still in contention leave him at RT if we are not swap him over to LT. Either way i still want Reiff though i still think he can be a beast of a RT.

Agree here with starting at RT just to get them used to nuances of NFL level play. Any of these kids starting out at LT, imo, would be a shock to me. They'd have to have one helluva a camp in order to do that and even then these zone read/spread OT are quite far behind , imo. If Spriggs were to be drafted and if he showed he can have his technique/mechanics down I wouldn't have a problem with him taking over LT near mid-season maybe even before but I surely would look at schedule and those teams RDE and how he'd matchup. I can see your point in leaving him at RT for the season to continue to get experience and not break his confidence.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either way i still want Reiff though i still think he can be a beast of a RT.

odd that you mention this as I was looking at the possibility of signing Osemele as temporary maybe permanent RT, possibility of drafting Spriggs (letting him get some reps in camp at RT/LT and see where he's at maybe red-shirting him), leaving Reiff at LT this year and then switching those three during off-season or possibly in season depending on Spriggs development. This was merely a thought as I like Warford's play when he's healthy but he hasn't been the last two years and his run blocking stagnated last year, imo. I know he's a fan favorite and he'd be a helluva lot cheaper than Osemele but the latter is an elite RG.

tbh, I had pegged Reiff as a RG before the draft and still believe he should/could be great there. not that he couldn't be great at RT but he does struggle against speed. We've seen guys like V. Miller, D. Ware, D.Lawrence, J. Peppers, A. Barr just wreak havoc as stand up rushers with their speed against our OL.

thoughts on this from you ?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think Bulaga just got a contract to play RT in the 7ish range per year and Reiff is better than him imo.

you're correct as it's 6.75M pya and if guys like Loadholt, A. Smith, Parnell can get 6ish then I can see that he's deserving of the 7.5M.

I agree that Reiff's play even though all we have to go by at the current time is LT appears as though he'd be above that of Bulaga (and Bulaga has had injury issues galore).

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tbh, I had pegged Reiff as a RG before the draft and still believe he should/could be great there. not that he couldn't be great at RT but he does struggle against speed. We've seen guys like V. Miller, D. Ware, D.Lawrence, J. Peppers, A. Barr just wreak havoc as stand up rushers with their speed against our OL.

thoughts on this from you ?

I still think that had more to do with scheme than anything Cooter simplifying things helped down the final stretch last year, but the oline still didn't look nearly as well as they did in Scotts system. It still kinda looks like square peg round hole to me. Our guys just aren't quick enough to play zone even a hybrid. I doubt Reiff would stick around for Guard money at this point to many teams need tackles if we don't pay him some other team will.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think that had more to do with scheme than anything Cooter simplifying things helped down the final stretch last year, but the oline still didn't look nearly as well as they did in Scotts system. It still kinda looks like square peg round hole to me. Our guys just aren't quick enough to play zone even a hybrid. I doubt Reiff would stick around for Guard money at this point to many teams need tackles if we don't pay him some other team will.

If the hypothetical is to draft Spriggs or Conklin or Decker and one of them wins out at LT at some point during season or appointed after season as next years LT then Reiff could easily say screw it and test the market next yr as a FA_LT rather than stay in Det for RT money. It's relative to the bold above.

(Levitre got 45M+ from Titans two years ago, which is still not close to LT $).

My thought isn't a definitive Reiff must play RG with the Osemele hypothetical signing as the latter is more relative to improving the line play for this year with Osemele at RT (Ola would be a great swing OT for this year at least and I liked his play at RT this past year but all I'm reading from Det. Lions.com and M-Live is upgrading RT).

My scenario was simply solidfying RT this year (Ola goes down with injury all you have is two rookie backups on the roster currently) and all the possiblities that could come later. Obviously having Reiff at LT, maybe signing Osemele (later plugged in at RG next yr as a possiblity noted above in post #11, even though he'd be much more expensive than Warford, who is an injury risk and maybe his real play is what we've seen over the last two years) and one of those drafted rookies

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what they are doing with Corey Robinson? A year on the practice squad so far. He is physically what you would want at LT. Whats the deal?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what they are doing with Corey Robinson? A year on the practice squad so far. He is physically what you would want at LT. Whats the deal?

it's the quiet version of former OG Rodney Hudson :noidea:

I highly doubt he'll see many reps at LT in camp. He had slow instincts, footwork, waist bender coming out. It's not to say that he can't be developed for RT. You never know. I do know you were HIGH on wanting him as late round prospect.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With a completely new staff of evaluators except for coaches. I'd imagine some turnover on the kids that are projects. Pretty sure Mayhews treasures won't last.