• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agent Frenzy thread

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"We simply feel we are paying the players too much money" - Gary Bettman

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are you surprised? He's a CENTER. He's going to get PAID.

I don't know why he would want to lock himself into a long term contract especially with a number of teams up against it cap-wise this season. Sign a shorter term deal (3 years) and then go for the home run when the cap has risen significantly.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can put any old lamp post in between Lupul and Kessel and he'll look good. I'm sorry, Bozak's barely worth half that

It's a shame the next lockout is so far away...

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why he would want to lock himself into a long term contract especially with a number of teams up against it cap-wise this season. Sign a shorter term deal (3 years) and then go for the home run when the cap has risen significantly.

Hockey can be a dangerous game. When a player has an opportunity to get a longterm deal like this it's all about security for the rest of your life. I wouldn't blame Bozek one bit. Josi signed a 7 year deal with Nashville giving up some UFA years, but he did get 4M per on average.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One in hand is worth two in the bush. Or in Tyler Bozak's case... five in the hand is worth who gives a fuck what's in the bush.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If these outrageous numbers are being thrown around for Clarkson and Bozak what type of money/years are Vinny and Horton looking at? Glad everyone learned their lesson from the 2 lockouts.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If these outrageous numbers are being thrown around for Clarkson and Bozak what type of money/years are Vinny and Horton looking at? Glad everyone learned their lesson from the 2 lockouts.

Horton will get in the range of $11.3 million per for 7 years.

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy doodle:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 6m Bozak contract talks expected to resume today with Leafs. Proposal on the table believed to be 8 years at less than $5 mil per.

I guess Tyler wants to remain with the Leafs as they're the only team that can offer him 8 years (lol)

LOL

Down Goes Brown ‏@DownGoesBrown
I'm actually fine with giving Bozak eight years as long as it's not, like, the next eight consecutive years.

Down Goes Brown ‏@DownGoesBrown
Like if six of the years were for after the sun explodes to keep the cap hit low, that would be fine.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Little note out of Buffalo:

*Sabres defensemen Alexander Sulzer and Adam Pardy will be allowed to hit the unrestricted free agent market without getting a contract offer from the team.

Letting Pardy walk is fine with me, but I hate the decision on Sulzer. They could have signed him for probably $800-900K. He may have been the scratched 7th D on a lot of nights, but when the inevitable injuries or shitty Tyler Myers play kick in, he's a very solid fill-in option.

BlueWolfZero

Disruptive troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 years at 5 million per? Sounds like a Scott Boras special

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. Love his game. We can't afford Ribeiro because we added a $4.5 million cap hit in Martin Erat. That's a terrible tradeoff.

The team finally had a legit 2nd line center after years of having that need. This is a loss. I don't see how this team is going to be a contender again. I just don't see it. Same squad that never gets it done now.

Disagree. His possession numbers were terrible and he played above himself. He is a legit #2 center, but not at that price and term. Erat and Ribeiro are about the same player for me.

Instead, I would've traded Ribero at the deadline to retool(prospect, draft pick, something and probably something worth while), not traded for Erat, kept Forsberg, and had the money to sign someone like Lecavalier this offseason to fill C2. Probably would've made the playoffs without Ribeiro considering he scored 2 goals post trade deadline. Even if they hadn't its a much more solid team with a brighter future considering Kuznetsov will be coming over next summer.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The funny thing is I would take Kotalik back if it meant getting rid of Butler.

You know, I'd almost take Butler back if it meant getting rid of Myers (a lot of that being due to his absurdly bloated contract).

There's a certain degree of irony in the fact that Butler was selected with a draft pick that the Sabres got from the Flames in a trade too.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. His possession numbers were terrible and he played above himself. He is a legit #2 center, but not at that price and term. Erat and Ribeiro are about the same player for me.

Instead, I would've traded Ribero at the deadline to retool(prospect, draft pick, something and probably something worth while), not traded for Erat, kept Forsberg, and had the money to sign someone like Lecavalier this offseason to fill C2. Probably would've made the playoffs without Ribeiro considering he scored 2 goals post trade deadline. Even if they hadn't its a much more solid team with a brighter future considering Kuznetsov will be coming over next summer.

Agree to disagree with you and 46.

But hopefully sooner. Possible Kuznetsov will come to the Caps after the Sochi Olympics. That would make the end of the season interesting. But definitely 14-15 at the latest. Excited to see what he can do.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]352194089611051008[/MEDIA]"]4m[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator: