• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agent Frenzy thread

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. Love his game. We can't afford Ribeiro because we added a $4.5 million cap hit in Martin Erat. That's a terrible tradeoff.

The team finally had a legit 2nd line center after years of having that need. This is a loss. I don't see how this team is going to be a contender again. I just don't see it. Same squad that never gets it done now.

Look at his numbers through the years. He was having a Chris Simon season. He is also aging and disappeared completely late in the season and in the playoffs (sans knocking in a rebound that anyone could have). Erat is bigger, better defensively, more physical and only signed for 2 more years, one of which we could amnesty if neccessary.

I am glad they let Ribeiro go. Giving him 5.5 for 5 would have been utter insanity, IMO.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at his numbers through the years. He was having a Chris Simon season. He is also aging and disappeared completely late in the season and in the playoffs (sans knocking in a rebound that anyone could have). Erat is bigger, better defensively, more physical and only signed for 2 more years, one of which we could amnesty if neccessary.

I am glad they let Ribeiro go. Giving him 5.5 for 5 would have been utter insanity, IMO.

Ribs has largely hovered somewhere between #10-#40 in league points for the last 6-7 years of his career. He was on pace for a career year saying earlier in the season (paraphrasing) 'it's fun, i've never played with this much talent around me before.' His numbers reflected that and he worked well in Oates' system from what I can tell. He's also the best forechecker on the team. I would have liked to see him with OV to be honest and Backstrom could have anchored the second line. OV and Backstrom are your two best - I think you've gotta split them up to make you 1-2 punch stronger. Tougher to do that without Ribeiro.

i don't disagree that Ribeiro will be overpaid. But I'd rather overpay him than Martin fucking Erat, a 3rd line winger making 1st line winger money. Especially when we need centers more than wings. Part of this is I just really don't like Erat. I think he's overrated. I see little offensive talent and not much defensive talent. I think he's a waste - a vanilla pile of poop on the 2nd line.

I don't put much stock in one playoff series. People tend to focus on that meaning the guy is or is not a "gamer," when really all it is a small sample size.

McPhee is just gonna trot out the same squad as usual and the results will be the same.

Agree to disagree, but I'm very dissatisfied with this team and McPhee's "direction" the last few years. I don't think he knows what the fuck he's doing and he has a 15 year track record to prove it. Fluked into 1 Stanley Cup trip on a team not built by him and doesn't know what a championship squad is.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know who we should consider amnesty for: Joel Ward at 3 per. Also, if he is hurt again or has another down season (blasphemy I know) #21 is way overpaid in this smaller cap world. I want him to play another full healthy season before that gets done though. Groins suck, BTW.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know who we should consider amnesty for: Joel Ward at 3 per. Also, if he is hurt again or has another down season (blasphemy I know) #21 is way overpaid in this smaller cap world. I want him to play another full healthy season before that gets done though. Groins suck, BTW.

I don't think it's blasphemy. We need more from Ward and Laich for sure. I worry Ward is too slow sometimes. I worry Laich doesn't have the skills to deserve his salary sometimes.

If you look at my post on the Caps board, my suggestions were trades/buyouts for Ward, Schultz, and Erat, so I think we agree for the most part, except for Ribeiro's value, but that's okay.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“We indicated we would keep in touch as the process went along, but Lou would have to answer that question,” Morris said of whether they would talk again before Clarkson begins talking to other teams. “We have no need to call him. New Jersey is the one facing life without David, so that’s up to Lou to answer that question.”

Lamoriello didn’t sound optimistic Monday about his chances of re-signing Clarkson, but did sound as if he intended to continue talking with agent.

“David, I don’t know at this point,” Lamoriello said of re-signing Clarkson. “We’ll certainly talk and I’ll leave it at that.”

Clarkson's agent sounds like the biggest baby on the planet in my opinion.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would try and dump any of those three on teams trying to reach the floor and if not I would buy out one of them (prob Schultz as the others at least play) and save that other buyout for next offseason as a just in case with Laich.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if the rumors about Letang's extension are true, Shero is going to have less than $20 million in cap room with only 4 forwards, 2 D, and 1 goalie signed in 2014. Even if the cap goes up, we're talking $25 million tops to sign 15 guys?

That's a lot of fire hydrants/traffic cones.

When Crosby scores five per night* and MAF stops 99% of the shots** it will be just fine.

*When not hurt

**offer not valid in the playoffs.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if the rumors about Letang's extension are true, Shero is going to have less than $20 million in cap room with only 4 forwards, 2 D, and 1 goalie signed in 2014. Even if the cap goes up, we're talking $25 million tops to sign 15 guys?

That's a lot of fire hydrants/traffic cones.

From what I hear, the Pens prefer lamp posts.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“We indicated we would keep in touch as the process went along, but Lou would have to answer that question,” Morris said of whether they would talk again before Clarkson begins talking to other teams. “We have no need to call him. New Jersey is the one facing life without David, so that’s up to Lou to answer that question.”

Lamoriello didn’t sound optimistic Monday about his chances of re-signing Clarkson, but did sound as if he intended to continue talking with agent.

“David, I don’t know at this point,” Lamoriello said of re-signing Clarkson. “We’ll certainly talk and I’ll leave it at that.”

Clarkson's agent sounds like the biggest baby on the planet in my opinion.

FALSE. Kris Letang.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least "life without Letang" is a worse thought than "life without Clarkson" though

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure where to drop this nugget

[ame="[MEDIA=twitter]352111975603511297[/MEDIA]"][/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^

Nobody tanks like Sherman...

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hunwick ATOI was 21:31 for Colorado last year - Great skater (like Russell) and either of them loads better than Chris Butler who is horri-bad.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the hang up with Letang?

Pix you have to explain it in a Jim Colony voice.

So here's the deal...Letang just DOESN'T GET IT.

The hang up seems to be, according to a few sources, that Letang wants the "Carter Clause" to be a part of his deal. The issue is, he doesn't have the right to that clause officially, and it'd have to be a verbal agreement. So, in other words, he doesn't want to be traded next summer just before his modified NTC (15 team list) kicks in, but because as of next summer he'd still be technically an RFA, he doesn't meet the requirements. Shero seems hesitant to agree to this because...well, I'm not 100% sure.

What's Holding Up the Kris Letang Negotiations?

A lot of this comes from Rossi though. But a few others seem to agree.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy doodle:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 6m Bozak contract talks expected to resume today with Leafs. Proposal on the table believed to be 8 years at less than $5 mil per.

I guess Tyler wants to remain with the Leafs as they're the only team that can offer him 8 years (lol)

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy doodle:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 6m Bozak contract talks expected to resume today with Leafs. Proposal on the table believed to be 8 years at less than $5 mil per.

I guess Tyler wants to remain with the Leafs as they're the only team that can offer him 8 years (lol)

If that's true... what the f*ck?

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any team that signs David Clarkson will be "Glad All Over"...

Edit: But probably not at this price - Yikes!

Dreger saying Clarkson will get $6.5mil x 7 years on the UFA market

Double what the f*ck?

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy doodle:

Why are you surprised? He's a CENTER. He's going to get PAID.