• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agency: Thoughts?

TVNiner12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Guys,
I'm curious to get your opinions on free agency thus far. Reading some comments throughout different sites, a lot of fans take the "sky is falling" approach.

While I wouldn't go that far...My take is that pretty much every team in the NFC West got a little better, while we kind of let talent walk out the door; even though guys like Lawson and Franklin were expected to go.

I think that losing Takeo Spike and David Bass is going to hurt in the end...even if say Bowman over took the job, Spikes would provide depth and vice-versa for Snyder and Bass. Injuries occur throughout the season and I worry about the quality our depth.

I'm usually an eternal optimist when it comes to the Niners, but if we don't add some more free agents (2nd tier) I can see us having a tough time competing in the west.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we have upgraded at CB and stayed the same at FS. If we sign a guy like Goodwin I think we will be fine at C. I wasn't a huge fan of Lawson and I expect both of our OLBs to sway more towards the pass rush under Fangio anyway. I could see a drop off at Spikes and Franklin's position though. We shall see. It would be nice to get another WR.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we all had hoped for more action as fans, but realistically they've done about what you'd expect. A rookie HC, a near rookie GM and they haven't really been able to evaluate the guys they have under contract. Add in the fact that we need more than one or two pieces to contend and I'm not too surprised at how it's gone.

I would have liked Joseph, but he was snatched up quickly. I would have been in favor of Cromartie except he's a knucklehead so I don't mind the pass...

Lawson leaving for that deal was a head scratcher, just like Goldson will be if he signs a modest deal somewhere. Overall, though, I'm not too upset about FA's we lost because the team's not been that great anyway. It's not like we've lost All Pro's or even perennial pro-bowlers. We all tend to overrate players on our team because we're so familiar with them, but rarely has a Niner gone elsewhere in recent years and had success. More often than not, our starters become backups and tend to disappear after a couple seasons.

Along with Rogers, if we add Godwin and a WR (Floyd?), I'll be relatively happy. Now, if the Niners somehow start to r*pe people on trades like the Pats and Eagles, I'd be ecstatic! Call the Lions and see if they'll take a 4th and Anthony Dixon for CJ!! ;)

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we got a lot better in the Coaching area.

We have improved our Pass Rush with McDonald and Smith, downgraded our Run Defense with the loss of Lawson and Franklin forcing Sopoaga to NT, our secondary is a wash with the addition of Rogers and Loss of Clements, maybe improved in pass coverage but downgrade in run support.

If you take a look at the league there is a much bigger emphasis in the passing game, so the loss of run defense in favor to pass defense isn't that much of a concern for me right now.

I am hoping we get Floyd as our 1 big FA splash.

TVNiner12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree, I do think we've upgraded at CB. The last few seasons with Nate Clements left a whole lot to be desired (I've directed many unpleasant words his way)...The Goodwin signing would definitely help more than it hurts and I think that Lawson was never the same after that knee injury a few years back, but I wouldn't miind it at all if he would have stayed...another receiver is key as well; just heard that Edwards is coming in for a visit. We could do a lot worse IMO.

Mem49er: I think you put it into some good perspective as well. We have a number of new pieces throughout the organization which is probably a reason we've been relatively conservative in free agency. Plus Baalke came from a spend lot of money/win now culture in Washington and who knows, maybe he's turned off by that approach.

We did lose Lawson and Franklin for what amounts to little money by NFL standards and I think that keeping them would have only benefited us; same goes for Spikes.

I'm also interested to see how these guys do on their new teams...I like the point you made about former niner player "leaving" for greener pastures only to find themselves out of the league.

Needless to say, I'm excited for the season and CJ for a 4th and AD wouldn't be so bad.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know a lot of guys aren't big fans of Manny Lawson, but i have always been a big supporter of him. I think out of all of the FA losses that one hurt us the most (especially for the price we could have probably got him for). I'm very happy with the Goodwin and Carlos Rogers signings and i think we may be 1 WR away from being a slightly improved team.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know a lot of guys aren't big fans of Manny Lawson, but i have always been a big supporter of him. I think out of all of the FA losses that one hurt us the most (especially for the price we could have probably got him for). I'm very happy with the Goodwin and Carlos Rogers signings and i think we may be 1 WR away from being a slightly improved team.

I agree that Manny took some flack for the lack of sacks, but he was a great cover LB. I've gotta assume that he wasn't going to stay in San Fran for that price. I'm thinking he wanted a season to showcase himself in a 4-3 and then go for a BIG payoff. Not sure where Cincy is really going to use him, though.

I hope that whoever takes over is not a liability in coverage and is an upgrade in pass rushing.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was nervous at center until we added some depth. Our secondary and WR's probably worry me the most right now. I figured we'd lose some players but honestly I didn't expect to lose Clements, Franklin, Manny, and Spikes. And Goldson is still sitting out there. I was hoping for some continuity on Defense, but oh well. Still excited for the season!

h-hour

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Call me crazy but im pretty content with this offseason. If we can land Braylon, thats great. If not, Im not gonna sweat it. I wanted Harbaugh and Im willing to let him build this team the way he wants it. Rome wasnt built in a day and neither are NFL dynasties. I live in Redskin territory and I see how those clowns (no offense to their fans) go headfirst into free agency every year and I see where it gets them. Theyre in shambles right now but I think Shanny will get that ship righted. I feel the same way about Harbaugh. The two big differences between the two teams is A) we dont have Snyder sticking his grimy little hands in everything and B) We're in the NFC West.

Im looking forward to this season and I still believe we can make the playoffs...or even better, beat the cowboys lol.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ClaytonESPN John Clayton
For those keeping track, there have been 104 Unrestricted Free Agent deals for new teams and 139 who re-signed. Furious pace

bing_blunt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Call me crazy but im pretty content with this offseason. If we can land Braylon, thats great. If not, Im not gonna sweat it. I wanted Harbaugh and Im willing to let him build this team the way he wants it. Rome wasnt built in a day and neither are NFL dynasties. I live in Redskin territory and I see how those clowns (no offense to their fans) go headfirst into free agency every year and I see where it gets them. Theyre in shambles right now but I think Shanny will get that ship righted. I feel the same way about Harbaugh. The two big differences between the two teams is A) we dont have Snyder sticking his grimy little hands in everything and B) We're in the NFC West.

Im looking forward to this season and I still believe we can make the playoffs...or even better, beat the cowboys lol.

Everything about this post is entirely too logical. Looking at the signings the 9ers have already made, they re-signed 2 players and brought in 7. Maybe Williams or one of the LBs doesn't make the final 53-man, but that's pretty significant turnover, considering there will be at least 7-8 draft picks that make the roster too. At least 15 new players, plus any WR the niners sign.

bing_blunt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I like what the niners have done so far BUT I'll only consider this offseason to be a good one if they also add the big, physical WR that this team needs desperately.

Also, any chance Mcintosh is brought in to compete with Bowman at ILB? Seems like a decent fit- more mobile than Spikes and has been a starter for a while.

OT and defensive line depth are concerns too. Not sure who the 3rd OT or 5th defensive lineman are at this point and those are important spots since injuries can hit hard in those areas. And you like to be able to rotate the defensive line.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McIntosh just re-upped with the Skins. I agree though, if we add a guy like Edwards or Floyd, I'll be smiling.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Manny took some flack for the lack of sacks, but he was a great cover LB. I've gotta assume that he wasn't going to stay in San Fran for that price. I'm thinking he wanted a season to showcase himself in a 4-3 and then go for a BIG payoff. Not sure where Cincy is really going to use him, though.

I hope that whoever takes over is not a liability in coverage and is an upgrade in pass rushing.

I can see your point. It's quite possible he didn't want to come back. I remember about this time last year he was really happy with the team, though. He should be a solid 4-3 OLB, but he's going to have to earn a starting spot there.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Loved passing on the Baas contract
Loved passing on Franklin, Manny & Spikes; they're better fits elsewhere
Loved the Rogers signing, but I wish it were for 3 years.
Ok with the Goodwin signing; a little old; would've been nice if Rachal moved to C and Kilgore was a find at RG, but it's nice to have a vet' OL in the middle.
Ok with the safety signings; they were cheapish.

Wish the Niners signed an OG instead of a C

Didn't like signing Failon Edwards at all, especially for just 1 season. I'd love the signing if they can trade Crabby though.

I'd like 'em to sign Channing Crowder to a 3 year deal, but I could love without it. It'd have to be for cheap, and he may not want to sign a cheap deal unless it's 1 year so he can earn another biger deal.

I'd trade anyone on the team for a shot at Ngata, but that's dream world stuff.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't min gettin' Floyd still and seeing who plays well enough to keep around next year, Crabby included.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Loved passing on the Baas contract
Loved passing on Franklin, Manny & Spikes; they're better fits elsewhere
Loved the Rogers signing, but I wish it were for 3 years.
Ok with the Goodwin signing; a little old; would've been nice if Rachal moved to C and Kilgore was a find at RG, but it's nice to have a vet' OL in the middle.
Ok with the safety signings; they were cheapish.

Wish the Niners signed an OG instead of a C

Didn't like signing Failon Edwards at all, especially for just 1 season. I'd love the signing if they can trade Crabby though.

I'd like 'em to sign Channing Crowder to a 3 year deal, but I could love without it. It'd have to be for cheap, and he may not want to sign a cheap deal unless it's 1 year so he can earn another biger deal.

I'd trade anyone on the team for a shot at Ngata, but that's dream world stuff.

I can't agree on Rachal. He's not a leader, and may not be heady enough for the center position. I think our best hope is that Goodwin plays well for a few more years while one of the two rookies grows into the position.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope that Edwards comes to play ball. Not mess around

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like most of the signings. Glad to see the Niners pick up multiple pieces rather than splurge on one or two. I think it is a good start I am reserved on the Braylon signing two divas could be bad but other than that I think the other pickups are solid pieces and should make the Niners competitive this year and leave cap room for the future.