• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agency news and signings

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I realize that it was just a late round pick, but why do you do this trade? I know the Raiders have a lot of money but it seems like 14.5 cap hit is pretty big for Schaub. He's had good years in the past but is now not worth as much. I think last year did enough damage to his market cost. I guess this makes sure he doesn't go somewhere else. He might have chosen somewhere else to go. Minnesota? They could always restructure or extend. Also, I know that he would've cost 4.5 of cap hit to Houston they cut him. Maybe still?

We got a better deal for Alex because Alex is younger, his contract was better (cap hit was 7m less), he was on an upswing part of his career, and we had a way of technically keeping him. There were also were a few teams who would have traded something for him. You don't get much lower than Schaub's late round pick.

Last edited by a moderator:

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@AdamSchefter: Steelers announced a two-year deal with former Saints WR Lance Moore.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raiders trading for Schaub is a head scratcher for me. He isn't a very good QB and certainly isn't the future, I think they were better off letting a rookie start. He really brings nothing except for a huge contract.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raiders trading for Schaub is a head scratcher for me. He isn't a very good QB and certainly isn't the future, I think they were better off letting a rookie start. He really brings nothing except for a huge contract.

My guess they are targeting a QB in the second round and used this as proactive insurance just in case.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My guess they are targeting a QB in the second round and used this as proactive insurance just in case.

It's not like they don't have the cap room...it really doesn't hurt them IMO.

I think the coaches know that this is a win now situation with a roster that isn't a win now roster. I rookie would have more going pains than Schaub would struggle. They are desperate. Plus, they need to meet 89% threshold for the.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think the coaches know that this is a win now situation with a roster that isn't a win now roster. I rookie would have more going pains than Schaub would struggle. They are desperate. Plus, they need to meet 89% threshold for the.

Agreed. They need to get to 7-9 or so at least just to get another year.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Going = growing, I rookie = a rookie. An Apple rookie? Overestimated my speech or my speech recognition on my iPhone on this one.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I understand that the staff are fighting for jobs but they aren't the ones who maker personnel decisions. Also I don't see Matt Schaub is the guy who's hands you want your future in.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that the staff are fighting for jobs but they aren't the ones who maker personnel decisions. Also I don't see Matt Schaub is the guy who's hands you want your future in.

I agree, and while you and I don't have that high of an opinion of Schaub as insurance, I read this article. Just an opinion in the caliber of Bleacher Report, so not an authority by any means.

Josh McCown, Matt Schaub moves are about security - Bucs Nation

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Well, the whole front office is on the hot seat this year. McKenzie could easily be gone if the team has another bad year. Schaub isn't great, but he's probably better right now than anyone else on the roster.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Well unless someone hits the trading block or gets cut there are exactly zero FA I would want the Niners to sign at this point (maybe some lesser FAs to fill the roster but no starters).

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I take it back. I just noticed the Niners released Sanchez.

He's the one guy I'd want the Niners to pick up. Especially at this point when it's looking more and more like the team is thinking long term & not short term.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I take it back. I just noticed the Niners released Sanchez.

He's the one guy I'd want the Niners to pick up. Especially at this point when it's looking more and more like the team is thinking long term & not short term.

Jets?