• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fourth-year holdouts could be more common under new rookie wage scale

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd only expect this to be an issue for a few teams on a regular basis. I feel like most teams will recognize and reward players for outperforming their rookie contracts after 3 years. For instance, Willis got his new/current deal in 2010 after being drafted in 2007.

Although, I'm sure cases will come up where the team just can't afford to keep two young and really good players and one of them is going to hold out and maybe eventually get traded? This might happen to the 49ers with Aldon Smith and Navorro Bowman. Of the two, I'd expect a holdout from Bowman after this year if he knocks it out of the park again, considering he is under the old CBA and he signed a 4 year 2.5 million dollar deal. I mean, if he is an All-Pro his first and second seasons starting (2nd,3rd in the league), it is to be expected that he'd want a new contract.

The timing might be perfect for the 49ers in a way that by the time Aldon Smith can renegotiate, Justin Smith and his big contract will be a FA when Aldon enters his 4th year. Freeing up capspace and at the age of 35, the 49ers probably wouldn't have to pay top-top dollar to bring Justin Smith back. Or, they'd be OK with letting Justin go because Aldon has established himself as one of the best OLBs.