• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Former 49er QB signed with the steelers

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Steelers have signed another candidate to play behind Ben Roethlisberger next year.

The team announced they have signed former 49ers quarterback Troy Smith. The Heisman Trophy winner last played in the UFL and was available to be signed because he didn’t finish the year on an NFL roster.

Smith started six games in San Francisco last year, some when Alex Smith was healthy enough to play. A lot changes in a year.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has written repeatedly that the Steelers will re-sign Byron Leftwich to back up Roethlisberger next season. Charlie Batch’s gig may finally be up after eight years in Pittsburgh; he was known to have a close relationship with retired Steelers coordinator Bruce Arians.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Steelers have signed another candidate to play behind Ben Roethlisberger next year.

The team announced they have signed former 49ers quarterback Troy Smith. The Heisman Trophy winner last played in the UFL and was available to be signed because he didn’t finish the year on an NFL roster.

Smith started six games in San Francisco last year, some when Alex Smith was healthy enough to play. A lot changes in a year.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has written repeatedly that the Steelers will re-sign Byron Leftwich to back up Roethlisberger next season. Charlie Batch’s gig may finally be up after eight years in Pittsburgh; he was known to have a close relationship with retired Steelers coordinator Bruce Arians.

He's a solid backup QB. A good signing. I'd say he's a step up from Charlie Batch, albeit a small one.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pittsburgh would be a good offense for him

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The team announced they have signed former 49ers quarterback Troy Smith.

Wait! I thought Troy Smith was annointed the Niners' franchise QB after one game at home against a pathetic Rams team!

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wait! I thought Troy Smith was annointed the Niners' franchise QB after one game at home against a pathetic Rams team!

He was - but then he got his ass kicked by the Bucs and that all ended. We are hard on our franchise QB's

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That guy cost us the playoffs last year. He can't play QB at the NFL level and Mike Singletary was to dumb to realize it until Troy lost us enough games to put us out of the race. Alex doesn't get hurt and watch David Carr lose that Carolina game, and then have to watch the Troy Smith experiment for several weeks and we make the playoffs. If anything proved that Singletary had no clue what he was doing it has to be starting Troy Smith over Alex Smith. I think this season has proven that beyond a doubt.

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That guy cost us the playoffs last year. He can't play QB at the NFL level and Mike Singletary was to dumb to realize it until Troy lost us enough games to put us out of the race. Alex doesn't get hurt and watch David Carr lose that Carolina game, and then have to watch the Troy Smith experiment for several weeks and we make the playoffs. If anything proved that Singletary had no clue what he was doing it has to be starting Troy Smith over Alex Smith. I think this season has proven that beyond a doubt.

we all should thank singletary for his effect as our head coach last season i don't think we would be here without him making davis a team player and we wouldn't of signed harbaugh as our head coach!! we owe him a lot

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we all should thank singletary for his effect as our head coach last season i don't think we would be here without him making davis a team player and we wouldn't of signed harbaugh as our head coach!! we owe him a lot

Nah thank Scott McWhatshisface and ownership for giving us Nolan, Singletary, and most of these players. The also made this group hungry for success after teaching them how to be mediocre for years. We should have been a playoff team 3 years ago if we had decent coaching.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we should have fired nolan and kept norv!

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Singletary cost us the playoffs by starting Troy over Alex in that Rams game. I'm glad they fired him after that game. If I owned the team he wouldn't have even been allowed on the team bus to the airport.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pittsburgh Steelers release former Heisman winner Troy Smith - ESPN

Updated: June 26, 2012, 8:27 AM ET

PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Steelers have released veteran quarterback Troy Smith, a former Ohio State star who won the 2006 Heisman Trophy.

Smith signed with the Steelers earlier this year. He has also spent time with the Omaha Nighthawks (2011) of the United Football League, the San Francisco 49ers (2010) and the Baltimore Ravens (2007-2009). The Ravens drafted him in the fifth round (174th overall) of the 2007 draft.

Smith played in 20 NFL games with eight career starts.

He led Ohio State to a 12-0 record and the No. 1 ranking in 2006 before the Buckeyes were beaten 41-14 by Florida in the Bowl Championship Series title game in Glendale, Ariz. Smith threw 54 TD passes in his career, third best at Ohio State.