• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ford's "Lifetime" 100,000 mi air filter

NativeWebfoot

Live to race-Race to live
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bought a Focus and it had one of those on it. It's a sealed box hidden in the bottom front driver's side fender with a snorkel over the wheelwell up to the windshield apron. Involves fender and wheelwell removal to replace and just the parts cost over $500.00 plus tax. I joined a forum that talked about a K&N conversion costing over $400.00 in parts and a DIY install. I went to my local dealership, asked the parts dept if there were any similar model Fords that used a convensional air intake with the paper filter. They showed one and I had that system installed, leaving my box where it was and cost less than $400.00 driving away. Now I just pay the $20 bucks for the paper filter when it needs it. I might have been able to get this system off a wrecked car and DIY it in, but felt more comfortable having the dealership convert it. Anyone else have to deal with this Ford SNAFU? Other solutions?

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got the CAI in my stang and it had a paper filter but I switched to a Steeda CAI with a big K&N style washable filter on it that required a custom tune. A lot of the stuff now days isn't as hard to do as they make it seem. They make it a hassle so you would pay them $500 to do it for you. Search YouTube and you will find someone who did a diy job and posted a video of it.