• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

For the first time in NFL History there will be a rebroadcast of Super Bowl 1 on Friday

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For all the NFL History buffs this Friday will present something that has only been seen 1 time. The NFL was able to recreate a tape of Super Bowl 1 which has never been shown other than the day it was played. It will be shown on the NFL Network this Friday evening. I will be at a conference on Friday but have the DVR set for the NFL Network.

Super Bowl I: The Lost Game to premiere on NFL Network on Friday, January 15 at 7:00 PM CT 

160111-sb-950.jpg

Forty-nine years to the day after the Green Bay Packers and Kansas City Chiefs squared off in Super Bowl I, NFL Network will be the first network to ever replay this historic game on television.

Super Bowl I was broadcast by both NBC – the official broadcaster of the AFL- and CBS – the official broadcaster of the NFL and remains the only Super Bowl to have been broadcast live in the United States by two television networks. Considered to be the Holy Grail of sports broadcasts, the CBS and NBC tapes of the game were either lost or recorded over and no full video version of the game has existed…until now.

In an exhaustive process that took months to complete, NFL Films searched its enormous archives of footage and were able to locate all 145 plays from Super Bowl I from more than a couple dozen disparate sources. Once all the plays were located, NFL Films was able to put the plays in order and stich them together while fully restoring, re-mastering, and color correcting the footage. Finally, audio from the NBC Sports radio broadcast featuring announcers Jim Simpson and George Ratterman was layered on top of the footage to complete the broadcast.

The final result represents the only known video footage of the entire action from Super Bowl 1 and NFL Network will show it to the world for the first time on the 49th anniversary of the game between the Green Bay Packers and Kansas City Chiefs, January 15.

Super Bowl I: The Lost Game will air on Friday, January 15 at 8:00 PM ET on NFL Network. The three-hour program is enhanced with pregame, halftime and postgame segments, modern broadcast graphics and coverage, social media interaction, facts and information, with studio contributors and guests live reaction and storytelling throughout.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool. I'll have to check it out. I'm sure I watched it originally but I don't recall a damn thing about it. I didn't have a rooting interest and the Pack was expected to roll which they did.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That sounds awesome. I'll definitely have to watch it. Thanks for the info.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considered to be the Holy Grail of sports broadcasts, the CBS and NBC tapes of the game were either lost or recorded over and no full video version of the game has existed…until now.

How the HELL does this even happen?? Both networks didn't save the footage?

Were they trying to save money or something?

TV Exec#1: Hey boss, we're running out of film and our budget is razor-thin, what should we do?
Network Boss: I dunno, record over some shows, just stretch this shit out until we get our tax refund check
TV Exec #2: What if we record over some episodes of F Troop?
TV Exec #1: Are you kidding? That series could be a gold mine, it should be on TV for decades! There will be movies, merchandising, the whole magilla...that Larry Storch is a bona fide superstar
Network Boss: Jim's right, F Troop could be the next Honeymooners. Just record over that stupid NFL-AFL Championship game, no reason to keep that around

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How the HELL does this even happen?? Both networks didn't save the footage?

Were they trying to save money or something?

TV Exec#1: Hey boss, we're running out of film and our budget is razor-thin, what should we do?
Network Boss: I dunno, record over some shows, just stretch this shit out until we get our tax refund check
TV Exec #2: What if we record over some episodes of F Troop?
TV Exec #1: Are you kidding? That series could be a gold mine, it should be on TV for decades! There will be movies, merchandising, the whole magilla...that Larry Storch is a bona fide superstar
Network Boss: Jim's right, F Troop could be the next Honeymooners. Just record over that stupid NFL-AFL Championship game, no reason to keep that around

I agree maybe they had no clue how important the Super Bowl would become. It is hard to say just what they did with old tapes of games and what they kept and what they didnt.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was broadcast on 2 stations CBS (nfl) nbc (afl) with only 5 cameras:suds:

A videotape of the CBS broadcast exists — a broadcast that was called by Ray Scott, Jack Whitaker and Frank Gifford — but is in a forced hibernation. It was discovered in 2005 by the son of the man who taped it at the TV station in Wilkes-Barre, Pa., where he was working. The son, whose lawyer would not divulge his name, has tried to sell it to the N.F.L., with no luck. It is not complete. It lacks the halftime show and part of the third quarter, with its critical play: the 50-yard interception return by Green Bay’s Willie Wood that led to the touchdown that extended the Packers’ lead to 21-10.

it wasnt a sell out

11SANDOMIR4-articleLarge.jpg

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
spoiler alert...Packers win...

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool. I'll have to check it out. I'm sure I watched it originally but I don't recall a damn thing about it. I didn't have a rooting interest and the Pack was expected to roll which they did.

Holy Moley, how old are you? Does the term Methuselah's goat mean anything to you?