• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

For all the Mayhew Haters/ Mayhew Slappies

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slay played it perfectly, though. It wouldn't have mattered if it was the cybertronic love child of Calvin Johnson and Jerry Rice running the route, that pass wasn't getting through there.

Great pass rush on the play as well, forced him to make a hasty decision while backpedaling.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offensive lineman, yes, but he was in the slot as an extra blocker, or so we thought. He reported eligible, though, so it would have been a legal catch. The Bears have ran that play more than once this season, I listened to Trestman talk about it on the radio post game...

As long as you know Sherman covered a #1 WR and Slay was covering a fat slow Offensive lineman then it is put in perspective. :yahoo:

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say what you will about Mayhew, but he definitely deserves props for knowing when to move on from a player. He let Delmas walk this offseason, and while he had some success early on in the season, he's on IR with a blown-out knee. Same situation with Willie Young. He was having a decent season too, but then he popped his achilles and now he'll never be the same explosive edge rusher.

Mayhew obviously has a knack for milking a player's best years before putting them out to pasture...

Whelp, to bad he could not predict Van Noy would be out ten weeks or the fact he has kept Broyles around. He must still have his best years yet to come?

You are killing me Smalls.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as you know Sherman covered a #1 WR and Slay was covering a fat slow Offensive lineman then it is put in perspective. :yahoo:[/

First of Crabtree ain't no number 1. Furthermore Quin was covering the lineman and Slay dropped off his man to make that play.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll admit that I loved Mayhew's draft last year. 10/10.

I think Van Noy will still be good and Lucas an UDFA even started and did well for a game at LT for us which was great.

Tate,Quin,Tulloch,Ideghbo and Mathis are all A+ signings as well. Whitehead is starting to prove his worth (definitely not as good as Tulloch though). The last couple years Mayhew has been great.

I think he is seriously playing with fire by letting Suh test the open market though. Suh reminds me of Reggie White and looks like it might be a similar career path too. Finishing out a hall of fame career elsewhere.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coming from another thread had me thinking, we all bash Mayhew for the restructures, but isn't that more Lewand's fault. I know Mayhew is the guy bringing people in, but if Lewand is the guy that is supposed to make the numbers work.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also what would be your strategy for not letting Suh test the market? I would offer Suh something in the 100 million 15-17 a year range. If he says that's not good enough I want to test the market, there's not much that they can do, except franchise him. While on that subject I'm confused on the 10 million in dead money we will have on the Suh contract. You are supposed to only be able to have dead money from a player cut or traded. I know that he is becoming a free agent by voiding the last year of his deal. Does this mean we are on the hook because he's voiding that year?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also what would be your strategy for not letting Suh test the market? I would offer Suh something in the 100 million 15-17 a year range. If he says that's not good enough I want to test the market, there's not much that they can do, except franchise him. While on that subject I'm confused on the 10 million in dead money we will have on the Suh contract. You are supposed to only be able to have dead money from a player cut or traded. I know that he is becoming a free agent by voiding the last year of his deal. Does this mean we are on the hook because he's voiding that year?

Exactly. He voided (or will be voiding) that last year, which had that dead $$ rolled back into it from previous re-structures...

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that's bullshit. If he's voiding it, he shouldn't get the back end since he agreed to restructure the cash there, but wants to void it to test the market. He should be on the hook for this year's contract, or get none of it.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that's bullshit. If he's voiding it, he shouldn't get the back end since he agreed to restructure the cash there, but wants to void it to test the market. He should be on the hook for this year's contract, or get none of it.

I see your point there, but the front office also knew going into those restructures that he'd be voiding that final year. I think they thought that he'd be re-signed to a new deal by now, so they didn't think this would be an issue. That's just speculation on my part, though...

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew knew Willie young was gonna tear his achillies,? Lol ridiculous. I'm a mayhew fan, but he did not know that and up to that point young had been dominating.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Dominating" is quite a stretch, imo. He'd been having a good year rushing the passer, but he wasn't a game-changer by any stretch of the imagination. He was doing for the Bears exactly what Cliff Avril used to do for us- providing an explosive pass rush and getting walled-off when the other team ran right at him...

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. We all loved Willie, but lets not make him into more than he is. We replaced him with just as good a player.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Dominating" is quite a stretch, imo. He'd been having a good year rushing the passer, but he wasn't a game-changer by any stretch of the imagination. He was doing for the Bears exactly what Cliff Avril used to do for us- providing an explosive pass rush and getting walled-off when the other team ran right at him...

I don't recall Avril leading the league in sacks at any point while he was here.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't recall Avril leading the league in sacks at any point while he was here.

I don't recall Willie Young leading the league in sacks, either. He has 10, that's pretty good, but not in the same stratosphere as the league-leaders. Again, let's not fool ourselves here- he was having a good year, but it's not like we let an elite lineman slip away. On a per-snap basis, George Johnson has gotten to the QB more than Young this season...

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Willie Young has 10 sacks, tied for 13th in the league. The leader has 18. With Willie gone for the year, he won't be leading the league in anything.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad we didn't resign Willie. Definitely glad Avril didn't accept the ridiculous offer of $10 mil per year.

All our money on defense should be reserved for(in order): Suh. Levy. Ziggy.

Maybe Ziggy is more important but I think his deal expires later than Levy's.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I completely agree. The Lions season may be a direct result of getting rid of Schwartz. And then I have to ask why it took so long.

Does anyone think the Lions are not the Bears this season if Stafford gets hurt and Orvlosky is our starting QB?

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe its the bonus money he already received, thats why it has to count. Whether we sign him or not...that money and cap room is gone.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jason Jones is far better than Willie. Willie is a situational pass rusher. He is a huge liability against the run. Jones is the unsung hero of our defense this year.