• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Flyers Sign Nick Schultz To Multi-Year Extension

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

http://t.co/m0y263J6Gf

Curious to see the $

BTW, how do we embed tweets, or is that something they're working on?

Last edited by a moderator:

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hello, SportsHoopla 2.0. Kill me.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ya, they're working on some of the embedding stuff still. Tweets are a pretty higher priority I believe.

I don't like the Schultz signing at all. He's been good this year, and great relative to expectations and contract. But he should have been traded for future pieces and the Flyers already have too many dmen.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am meh on this one. I am leaning towards what awaz posted about getting pieces or picks. Perhaps there were no takers.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ya, they're working on some of the embedding stuff still. Tweets are a pretty higher priority I believe.

I don't like the Schultz signing at all. He's been good this year, and great relative to expectations and contract. But he should have been traded for future pieces and the Flyers already have too many dmen.

Basically. If he somehow sustains the way he has played this year then I can live with this. I have my doubts he is this good next year, though. Should have sold him for any pick we could take.

With Kimmo coming back something has to give.

Edit: I must say, I'd rather have Schultz at 2.5 and any asset we get for Coburn than just Coburn

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the flyers now have

Coburn
Schenn
Schultz
Grossmann
MacDonald
Streit

All under contract for next season. Where do they plan on making improvements to that? I don't understand this signing at all. It's a good term and a good price, but it's not what the Flyers need. Having 6 bottom 4 dmen is pointless?

If Hextall can't move at least 2 of the above before July 1, they will be in the exact same position they are in today, next season. A decent, but top heavy, group of forwards, a good goalie, and a terrible defense.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the flyers now have

Coburn
Schenn
Schultz
Grossmann
MacDonald
Streit

All under contract for next season. Where do they plan on making improvements to that? I don't understand this signing at all. It's a good term and a good price, but it's not what the Flyers need. Having 6 bottom 4 dmen is pointless?

If Hextall can't move at least 2 of the above before July 1, they will be in the exact same position they are in today, next season. A decent, but top heavy, group of forwards, a good goalie, and a terrible defense.
Hopefully we get rid of some of the above at the deadline.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyers fans on twitter are the absolute worst

What is the team supposed to do? Trade every d-man and just play all the young guys at once next season? Nick Schultz relative to the production of the rest of the defense, has the most affordable contract for the next two seasons and isn't going to kill the Flyers whatsoever, they have to keep a few veterans so that the young guys don't get overwhelmed when they come in next season

The Flyers were going to end up making trades on defense anyway - they're still going to have to deal two guys to begin with so Braydon Coburn will be gone imo and you'll get good assets for him and a guy like Nicklas Grossmann or even Kimmo might get moved and you'll get assets there, plus guys like Luke Schenn are expiring after next season - eventually those guys will be gone and then the young guys will be able to mature with a few veterans there

Can't make everyone happy I guess - would I have liked to see the Flyers get an asset or two for Nick Schultz? It would have been good most likely but I wouldn't have gotten so mad like every other fan where I'd quit watching the team over them signing a god damned sixth defenseman to a good contract for the next two seasons - it's embarrassing the way fans act on twitter and the melodramatic attitude they possess every time the Flyers make a move like this - if they are so mad about it, let me rip their fan card in their face and embarrass them so they can go root for a team like Edmonton or Carolina, that has been perennially garbage the last decade now

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What is the team supposed to do? Trade every d-man and just play all the young guys at once next season? Nick Schultz relative to the production of the rest of the defense, has the most affordable contract for the next two seasons and isn't going to kill the Flyers whatsoever, they have to keep a few veterans so that the young guys don't get overwhelmed when they come in next season

The Flyers were going to end up making trades on defense anyway - they're still going to have to deal two guys to begin with so Braydon Coburn will be gone imo and you'll get good assets for him and a guy like Nicklas Grossmann or even Kimmo might get moved and you'll get assets there, plus guys like Luke Schenn are expiring after next season - eventually those guys will be gone and then the young guys will be able to mature with a few veterans there

Can't make everyone happy I guess - would I have liked to see the Flyers get an asset or two for Nick Schultz? It would have been good most likely but I wouldn't have gotten so mad like every other fan where I'd quit watching the team over them signing a god damned sixth defenseman to a good contract for the next two seasons - it's embarrassing the way fans act on twitter and the melodramatic attitude they possess every time the Flyers make a move like this - if they are so mad about it, let me rip their fan card in their face and embarrass them so they can go root for a team like Edmonton or Carolina, that has been perennially garbage the last decade now

Ha, one of the many pros and cons of twitter. You can say whatever you want and have no repercussions.

The reason I don't like the signing is because one of the problems contributing to the Flyers woes right now is a lack of flexibility.

32 contracts (17 of which are NHL contracts)
7 RFAs

63 million on next seasons cap. Most of the talk right now is that the cap will 'hopefully' stay where it as (70 mil). the Canadian dollar is plummeting and if that continues, the cap might even go down. The players are also not expected to use the escalator. so they now have 7 million to fill a backup goalie spot, a dman, and 2 forwards. Average of 1.75 million per slot. That gets your bargain players to fill those spots. Granted, they only NEED a 7th dman, 13/14th forwards, and a backup goalie, but I think we're all in agreement that it would be nice if they could improve in spots, rather than just plug holes with plug players.

Signing Schultz to a 2.25 mil contract doesn't make or break your cap situation. It's 2.25 mil. But it, in addition to where the Flyers are and what they need, makes very little sense to me. Maybe Hextall tried to deal him already and didn't see a market, if that's the case, so be it. But I have a hard time believe Schultz, with how well he's been playing, and his expiring contract status, would not be able to return at least a 3rd/4th round pick on TDL day. To me, that would have been worth it. And it would have given the Flyers more flexibility going in to the offseason to improve the team, rather than just continue on this path.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also I really miss capgeek :(

NHLnumbers just isn't the same..

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schultz has played very well this year. He was a bargain at $1+ mill. The problem is that this 6 as a group isn't very good. There is zero room for improvement and it would be a luxury to have one off these guys as a number 7.

If Hexy can move one of Coburn, Schenn or Grossmann, cap space would open as would a spot for a younger DMan. I don't believe Streit will go and I don't think the best GM in Hockey could put a package together to get someone to take A Macs contract. I would also like to see MDZ back if he is not traded and the deal can be reasonable. Without a top 6 spot open, even if Morin, Ghost, Hagg, Sanheim or Manning had a great camp they would have trouble making the roster because none of those guys can be a number 7.

Hexy must have something in the works that he feels pretty sure with pan out. I will wait until we see how the rest of the season goes to make further comment. All I know is that if we have the same top 6 next year, we are majorly FUCKED!!!!!

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
perennially
Schultz has played very well this year. He was a bargain at $1+ mill. The problem is that this 6 as a group isn't very good. There is zero room for improvement and it would be a luxury to have one off these guys as a number 7.

If Hexy can move one of Coburn, Schenn or Grossmann, cap space would open as would a spot for a younger DMan. I don't believe Streit will go and I don't think the best GM in Hockey could put a package together to get someone to take A Macs contract. I would also like to see MDZ back if he is not traded and the deal can be reasonable. Without a top 6 spot open, even if Morin, Ghost, Hagg, Sanheim or Manning had a great camp they would have trouble making the roster because none of those guys can be a number 7.

Hexy must have something in the works that he feels pretty sure with pan out. I will wait until we see how the rest of the season goes to make further comment. All I know is that if we have the same top 6 next year, we are majorly FUCKED!!!!!

Braydon Coburn, Nicklas Grossmann and Luke Schenn all expire after next season so it's not like those guys are going to be here past next season, so either you ride it out or you can move one or two of them now and get those assets you need

I think right now, if you can have a defense of Mark Streit, MDZ, Nick Schultz, A-Mac, one of 5/8/22 and then one of the young guys(Ghost, Sam Morin) stepping in next season, then that's not bad all things considered

chy1127

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You make it sound like trades are easy to make. The problem is that someone has to actually want what the team has to offer. The trade deadline is big on over paying for rental players to add the missing piece. The problem is that none of our defensemen are actual rentals as the are over paid for at least 1 more if not more years.

For a team to take Coburn they have to have some decent cap space this year and be willing to pay him next year. By my estimate only 13 teams could afford him without moving cap space. Of those 13 teams 5 are not buyers. Nashville has made their move and will not be in the market for him. That leave 7 maybes including the Sharks, Wild, Panthers, Jets, Islanders, Ducks and Flames. I would be very surprised if the Wild, Panthers or Jets would be interested. That leaves 4 maybes. Not as big a market as you would think. For this reason I think the most attractive piece is Grossmann and he is one of the few 2nd pairing guys we have.

In 2 years the situation looks better, but as we sit here today it looks like we will have the same defense next year. Playoffs? Maybe? Long run? NFW with this group.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You make it sound like trades are easy to make. The problem is that someone has to actually want what the team has to offer. The trade deadline is big on over paying for rental players to add the missing piece. The problem is that none of our defensemen are actual rentals as the are over paid for at least 1 more if not more years.

For a team to take Coburn they have to have some decent cap space this year and be willing to pay him next year. By my estimate only 13 teams could afford him without moving cap space. Of those 13 teams 5 are not buyers. Nashville has made their move and will not be in the market for him. That leave 7 maybes including the Sharks, Wild, Panthers, Jets, Islanders, Ducks and Flames. I would be very surprised if the Wild, Panthers or Jets would be interested. That leaves 4 maybes. Not as big a market as you would think. For this reason I think the most attractive piece is Grossmann and he is one of the few 2nd pairing guys we have.

In 2 years the situation looks better, but as we sit here today it looks like we will have the same defense next year. Playoffs? Maybe? Long run? NFW with this group.

Um, wat? That is my whole point? You can't trade everyone because you need guys who can actually play next season, and it's not possible to trade everyone - the Flyers can't trade everyone for a bunch of different reasons

I think you misunderstood my whole point

chy1127

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um, wat? That is my whole point? You can't trade everyone because you need guys who can actually play next season, and it's not possible to trade everyone - the Flyers can't trade everyone for a bunch of different reasons

I think you misunderstood my whole point

This is what I was addressing, I bolded the wrong section. Sorry about that. I don't think Coburn, Grossman or Timonen are definitely moving. It looks like Kimmo may play 2 games before March 2. I he plays well and we are still in that 4-7 points from the post season, he may just stay. For the Shultz signing to make sense we really need to move at least 2 of Coburn, Grossmann and Schenn. It really may be harder then some think.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is what I was addressing, I bolded the wrong section. Sorry about that. I don't think Coburn, Grossman or Timonen are definitely moving. It looks like Kimmo may play 2 games before March 2. I he plays well and we are still in that 4-7 points from the post season, he may just stay. For the Shultz signing to make sense we really need to move at least 2 of Coburn, Grossmann and Schenn. It really may be harder then some think.

I think they can move at least one of them - a lot can change from now to the deadline, injuries happen and teams get desperate

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought he would have been one of those dealt by the TD.. I don't understand this?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would also like to see MDZ back if he is not traded and the deal can be reasonable.

he's in the exact same spot as Schultz was for me. MDZ and Schultz were the two easiest guys to trade and get pieces for, they both should have been traded at the deadline IMO.

The return for Grossmann and Schenn, and possibly Coburn, is going to be watered down due to their contracts. None of them have particularly attractive contracts, and none of them are expiring. Those two components are part of what make trade deadlines so active and why you can get such an overpayment from teams making a push.

Basically I think the Flyers could have turned MDZ and Schultz in to just as valuable, if not more valuable, pieces than they can for Coburn, Grossmann, or Schenn. So if the choice is to go in to next season with the 1st two and some pieces or go in to next season with the 2nd group and pieces, I think the latter is the better option.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This deal is all about being able to move at either Grossman or Coburn, or both....
Schultz is a good soldier. He would be a good role model for the younger D moving up next year and the following. He doesn't expect to be on the PP. He is willing and capable of playing the "ugly/dirty" minutes that are not a glamorous but needed. Is he a big hitter? No. Is he a big offensive producer? No. Does he make the team better or worse? As long as he isn't over used/exposed he is the kind of player that teams need.