• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Flyers Fan Mumbles and Grumbles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rags have 2 million in cap space and Steppan as a RFA why doesnt someone offer 5 million so they have to match and pay more than they would like to.

Probably because anyone who does that is going to be on the receiving end of a lot of petty shit in the future. It's one thing to offer sheet a guy if you think the other team can't/won't match (or if you think they WILL match and want to do the other GM a favor by locking a guy in for him, perhaps circa Weber), but it's another thing to offer sheet a guy just to drive up his price. If it's a potential trade partner you've just damaged that relationship and made it harder to move guys. If it's somebody in the division the coach is probably going to have somebody take a run at one of your stars. Either way, you know exactly what'll happen the next time you have an RFA you'd like to sign cheap. That's not to mention the damage your reputation will take with other teams who weren't involved.

Also, what happens if they DON'T match? Then you get a 5 million player that you likely didn't want. Offer sheets are a way to allow teams a way to take a shot at RFAs while still respecting the rights of the team who drafted/traded for the player, not a way to drive up another team's cap. Granted, that might still happen (again, Weber), but it's about the intention. Making your own team better is fine. Making another team worse is less so.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably because anyone who does that is going to be on the receiving end of a lot of petty shit in the future. It's one thing to offer sheet a guy if you think the other team can't/won't match (or if you think they WILL match and want to do the other GM a favor by locking a guy in for him, perhaps circa Weber), but it's another thing to offer sheet a guy just to drive up his price. If it's a potential trade partner you've just damaged that relationship and made it harder to move guys. If it's somebody in the division the coach is probably going to have somebody take a run at one of your stars. Either way, you know exactly what'll happen the next time you have an RFA you'd like to sign cheap. That's not to mention the damage your reputation will take with other teams who weren't involved.

Also, what happens if they DON'T match? Then you get a 5 million player that you likely didn't want. Offer sheets are a way to allow teams a way to take a shot at RFAs while still respecting the rights of the team who drafted/traded for the player, not a way to drive up another team's cap. Granted, that might still happen (again, Weber), but it's about the intention. Making your own team better is fine. Making another team worse is less so.

Agreed, but it DOES happen and not just in order to make your team better. One that comes quickly to mind is the offer sheet that San Jose extended to Blackhawks defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson in 2010 after the Hawks won the Cup and were facing serious cap issues. It was a win-win for SJ in the sense that either the Hawks didn't match and SJ gets a d-man that improves their team, or Chicago matches and is forced to make other moves as a result, which is what they did - matched and had to cut Niemi loose, who ironically then signed with SJ. So, lasgop has a point - it's an option, although a rarely-but-not-never used one for the reasons you mentioned. If there's a team that would benefit from the addition of Stepan and has the cap space (Washington, anyone?), I can't imagine them not at least discussing the idea. But yes, it takes balls. Big ones.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I could see your point about not being a team that does that so other teams dont do it to you. As far as not having a trading partner we dont trade with them anyway so that shouldnt be a concern and as far if they DONT match Stepan is worth every penny of a 5 million contract. Bryan little just signed for 4.8 and Sam little for 4.8 and he is better than both of those guys IMO

Last edited by a moderator:

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see your point about not being a team that does that so other teams dont do it to you. As far as not having a trading partner we dont trade with them anyway so that shouldnt be a concern and as far if they DONT match Stepan is worth every penny of a 5 million contract. Bryan little just signed for 4.8 and Sam little for 4.8 and he is better than both of those guys IMO

Yeah, and if that's the case, and you think he's worth 5, then offer away. I have no problem with a win/win, but if you are just doing it to be an ass, well, there's 29 other owners/GMs/whatever to be an ass right back.

And I mentioned the Rangers not being a trading partner in the very next line, lasgop! When I said "If you are in the division." Come on! Who trades away their starting QB to a division rival, anyway?

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, and if that's the case, and you think he's worth 5, then offer away. I have no problem with a win/win, but if you are just doing it to be an ass, well, there's 29 other owners/GMs/whatever to be an ass right back.

And I mentioned the Rangers not being a trading partner in the very next line, lasgop! When I said "If you are in the division." Come on! Who trades away their starting QB to a division rival, anyway?

I would say the Philadelphia Eagles:) McNabb to the 'Skins. Thank goodness the Eagles didn't have that bite them in the ass. Oh well, that answers that question.:lol:

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"New York Rangers assistant GM Jeff Gorton said there's no update on the team's contract talks with Henrik Lundqvist and Derek Stepan.
Lundqvist is entering the final season of his deal, while Stepan is currently a restricted free agent. Gorton wouldn't rule out continuing talks with Lundqvist and his reps during the season and beat writer Andrew Gross pointed out Lundqvist's last contract extension was finalized in January during the season. According to Gross, Gorton sounded confident regarding deals for both players, but the Rangers are running out of time with Stepan."

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So after reading the long post you put up and cleared up that he's worth the 5 million lets get back to my original question as to why nobody has offered 5 million to a player that is worth it

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So after reading the long post you put up and cleared up that he's worth the 5 million lets get back to my original question as to why nobody has offered 5 million to a player that is worth it

i think he's a fringe 5 mil player, and probably not worth 5 mil if you have to give up 2 first round picks for him (that's a guess on the compensation, researching now)

edit: so you can do it for a 1st and a 3rd if you stay right at 5 mil this year. that wouldn't be bad.

$1,110,249 or below None

Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194 Third round pick

Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 Second round pick

Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 First and third round picks

Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 First, second, and third round picks

Over $6,728,781 to $8,410,976 Two first round picks, one second and one third round pick

Over $8,410,976 Four first round draft picks

Last edited by a moderator:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think he's a fringe 5 mil player, and probably not worth 5 mil if you have to give up 2 first round picks for him (that's a guess on the compensation, researching now)

edit: so you can do it for a 1st and a 3rd if you stay right at 5 mil this year. that wouldn't be bad.

$1,110,249 or below None

Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194 Third round pick

Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 Second round pick

Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 First and third round picks

Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 First, second, and third round picks

Over $6,728,781 to $8,410,976 Two first round picks, one second and one third round pick

Over $8,410,976 Four first round draft picks

This is acceptable. I could see a team not wanting to give up the first and third for him plus sign him for 5 million. If that wasnt the case and he was a UFA with the signings of Little and Gagner to contracts worth 4.8 each he is ceratinly worth the 5 million, Thanks i forgot about the compensation.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love the new avi Las. Good afternoon boys. Time to head back to work. I did find "Flight Plan" pretty interesting despite only approx 8 minutes in length. Good stuff.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love the new avi Las. Good afternoon boys. Time to head back to work. I did find "Flight Plan" pretty interesting despite only approx 8 minutes in length. Good stuff.

Later mall have a great weekend !

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
F all you Flyer fans, my dad is Flyer fan so F him 2.

BTW, I'm drunk & angry tonight, so please don't hold this against me.

P.S.
Dad, you know I love you, but F u & your love for the Flyers (even tho you got me into hockey).

Peace

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, you know what, I don't actually hate you Flyer fans. I'm just drunk & angry tonight.\

P.S.

Dad, even tho you're a Flyer fan, I love you anyways.

Peace

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
F all you Flyer fans, my dad is Flyer fan so F him 2.

BTW, I'm drunk & angry tonight, so please don't hold this against me.

P.S.
Dad, you know I love you, but F u & your love for the Flyers (even tho you got me into hockey).

Peace

Go suck Sids dick :yahoo:

Status
Not open for further replies.