• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Florida Recruiting...

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How the hell is Ole Piss almost last with Lane Kiffin...???>.............:noidea:
tenor.gif

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think Mullen is doing a poor job?
It's pretty obvious that unless he recruits better, he won't get past UGA, Bama, or LSU. UTjr might even cause problems for you. So, it all depends on what you are looking for ... 10 win seasons (very Richt-like), and NY Day Bowls, or CFP and championships?

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty obvious that unless he recruits better, he won't get past UGA, Bama, or LSU. UTjr might even cause problems for you. So, it all depends on what you are looking for ... 10 win seasons (very Richt-like), and NY Day Bowls, or CFP and championships?

Give Mullen a few more years. He's an excellent coach but Florida's reputation took a hit with their decline after UM left. If Mullen can prove his team is right on the brink of winning the SEC, recruiting will improve.

THUNDER

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give Mullen a few more years. He's an excellent coach but Florida's reputation took a hit with their decline after UM left. If Mullen can prove his team is right on the brink of winning the SEC, recruiting will improve.

Meyer's been gone 10 years.
The " hit " was for only 3-4 years after that.
Mullen is in his 4th year. So he took over 7 years after UM left.
His clock is winding down in today's "what have you done for me lately" College Football world.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meyer's been gone 10 years.
The " hit " was for only 3-4 years after that.
Mullen is in his 4th year. So he took over 7 years after UM left.
His clock is winding down in today's "what have you done for me lately" College Football world.

I know Meyer has been gone, my point was about the coaches after that let the program struggle and Florida lost some of its prestige. It's no longer considered a national title contender by recruits.

Dan Mullen is entering his 3rd year and he's 21-5 and you saw improvement from year 1 to year 2. If he can get Florida to take the next step to show they are ready to beat a team like UGA, the recruiting will improve.

Too many people think this shit just happens. He took over a 4 win team and won 10 games in year 1. Won 11 games in year 2 and only losses were a close loss to UGA and a loss to the national champions. Mullen is doing fine. Florida wasn't going to go from 4 wins to a national championship overnight.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He’s not on the brink of winning the SEC. UF is not nearly as talented as UGA in the east, nor Bama or LSU in the West. He will have UTjr and TAMU on the rise, as well. He’s a terrible recruiter. Unless he makes staff changes that can overcome his awkwardness, it won’t happen.

In other responses people are saying how great he has been in his first two years. If that is the case, how come that hasn’t translated into recruiting wins? They will likely end up like last year, around 9 or 10. That doesn’t put you on the brink of winning the SEC. The only reason for optimism this year is a very easy schedule, returning QB, while UGA has to reload at QB, OC, and OL, while breaking in a new O scheme. Unless they recruit better, UF won’t be winning the SEC anytime soon, IMO.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He’s not on the brink of winning the SEC. UF is not nearly as talented as UGA in the east, nor Bama or LSU in the West. He will have UTjr and TAMU on the rise, as well. He’s a terrible recruiter. Unless he makes staff changes that can overcome his awkwardness, it won’t happen.

In other responses people are saying how great he has been in his first two years. If that is the case, how come that hasn’t translated into recruiting wins? They will likely end up like last year, around 9 or 10. That doesn’t put you on the brink of winning the SEC. The only reason for optimism this year is a very easy schedule, returning QB, while UGA has to reload at QB, OC, and OL, while breaking in a new O scheme. Unless they recruit better, UF won’t be winning the SEC anytime soon, IMO.

They starting closing the gap between Florida and UGA in his 2nd year. And like you said, they have key starters returning, a manageable schedule (with LSU as a permanent crossover, I'll never say it's easy), and UGA has a lot of question marks. Question marks aren't always weaknesses but Florida has a chance to win the East this year. If they do, I think that will do a lot for them in recruiting.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They starting closing the gap between Florida and UGA in his 2nd year. And like you said, they have key starters returning, a manageable schedule (with LSU as a permanent crossover, I'll never say it's easy), and UGA has a lot of question marks. Question marks aren't always weaknesses but Florida has a chance to win the East this year. If they do, I think that will do a lot for them in recruiting.
You and I define closing the gap a lot differently. Take last year as an example ... using the 247 Composite. The difference between UGA and UF was 40 points, 1st and 9th. If we subtract 40 from UF, that's 233. That's no 23, Arizona State. Would you honestly say that Arizona State closed the gap between it and UF? I wouldn't. UF added tons of players far better than ASU. Likewise, UGA added a ton of players far better than UF. I get that these are simply ratings, that there are transfers, and that there is development. But, if you are just looking at recruiting, UGA is still adding far better players than UF, every year, and it really isn't close. It can be true that UFs roster is getting better, which is true, but that it isn't closing the gap with the top teams because they are still recruiting at a far higher level.

The final thing about UF's chances of winning the east, it will all come down to (1) beating LSU and UGA, and (2) how they assign the additional 2 SEC games. Assuming that they go from 8 to 10 IC games, UGA will pick up 2 of OM, Arky or LSU. UF will pick up 2 of Bama, TAMU or Arky. If the teams play the next 2 years cross divisional games, UF is screwed as they will get Bama and TAMU. The only other option I've read is to go back to the 2012, 2013 season (not sure of the rationale) in which case UF gets TAMU and Arky, I believe. In that scenario, UGA gets LSU and Ole Miss. How they decide what additional two games you get will mean a lot.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You and I define closing the gap a lot differently. Take last year as an example ... using the 247 Composite. The difference between UGA and UF was 40 points, 1st and 9th. If we subtract 40 from UF, that's 233. That's no 23, Arizona State. Would you honestly say that Arizona State closed the gap between it and UF? I wouldn't. UF added tons of players far better than ASU. Likewise, UGA added a ton of players far better than UF. I get that these are simply ratings, that there are transfers, and that there is development. But, if you are just looking at recruiting, UGA is still adding far better players than UF, every year, and it really isn't close. It can be true that UFs roster is getting better, which is true, but that it isn't closing the gap with the top teams because they are still recruiting at a far higher level.

The final thing about UF's chances of winning the east, it will all come down to (1) beating LSU and UGA, and (2) how they assign the additional 2 SEC games. Assuming that they go from 8 to 10 IC games, UGA will pick up 2 of OM, Arky or LSU. UF will pick up 2 of Bama, TAMU or Arky. If the teams play the next 2 years cross divisional games, UF is screwed as they will get Bama and TAMU. The only other option I've read is to go back to the 2012, 2013 season (not sure of the rationale) in which case UF gets TAMU and Arky, I believe. In that scenario, UGA gets LSU and Ole Miss. How they decide what additional two games you get will mean a lot.

With regard to the revised SEC schedule, I agree that will change things and I admittedly have no idea what the SEC is planning on doing.

With regard to Florida, recruiting rankings aren't the only thing to look at. Look at the talent composite for 2019 and you see Florida is sitting at #15. If they continue to bring in top 10 talent, that should improve. Closing the gap doesn't mean that there is no gap at all. It means the gap is smaller than it was in 2018 or 2017.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Mullen. He had a lot of balls in the fire on the big day which didn't show-up in the stats and in SportsHoopla thread. But his recruiting tentacles haven't been silent.

Sorry FSUx - we just turned your OL recruit.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Mullen. He had a lot of balls in the fire on the big day which didn't show-up in the stats and in SportsHoopla thread. But his recruiting tentacles haven't been silent.

My point exactly ... he’s a 3*, ranked 633 in the country. He’s ranked 120 in Florida. His offer list didn’t include UGA, UA, tOSU, LSU or any of the top recruiting teams. This Gator is actually excited that you flipped a .86 3*. Fans of top recruitiung teams would be horrified. He may turn out to be a good player in 3 or 4 years. But, he is a project. If UF is on the brink of winning the SEC, they shouldn’t be getting excited about project 3*. Recruiting 101.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point exactly ... he’s a 3*, ranked 633 in the country. He’s ranked 120 in Florida. His offer list didn’t include UGA, UA, tOSU, LSU or any of the top recruiting teams. This Gator is actually excited that you flipped a .86 3*. Fans of top recruitiung teams would be horrified. He may turn out to be a good player in 3 or 4 years. But, he is a project. If UF is on the brink of winning the SEC, they shouldn’t be getting excited about project 3*. Recruiting 101.
Jake Slaughter Recruit Interests

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, maybe you're right, maybe not. Star rankings are over ranked.

I think my primary reaction was the correct one; fuck FSUx.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Congrats on flipping a 3 star...he'll make a nice addition to your 3 star harem. I wish we could have added him, but there is only so much room in what is arguably Alabama's best O-Line class ever...no scrubs allowed.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats on flipping a 3 star...he'll make a nice addition to your 3 star harem. I wish we could have added him, but there is only so much room in what is arguably Alabama's best O-Line class ever...no scrubs allowed.
I'll give you props the o-line recruits have been insane. Of course I like Auburn's d-line recruiting as a counter but we need a o-line pipeline then where are in serious business. I'm liking what I see so far though.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why you posted this. It proves exactly what I said. UF, FSU, Auburn, then a bunch of medicore teams. That’s not how you recruit if you want to win the SEC, let alone a NC. Trust me, this is exactly how Richt recruited, and it will get you 10 win seasons, but not much more.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why you posted this. It proves exactly what I said. UF, FSU, Auburn, then a bunch of medicore teams. That’s not how you recruit if you want to win the SEC, let alone a NC. Trust me, this is exactly how Richt recruited, and it will get you 10 win seasons, but not much more.
I don't remember Richt having a shitty recruiting class. I do remember his teams under achieving.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your OL recruiting this cycle is really good. We will get Mims, but getting Fergusen was great for you guys. You guys stacked the OL this cycle for sure.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember Richt having a shitty recruiting class. I do remember his teams under achieving.
He had decent recruiting classes, not elite crecuiting classes, that is the point. He recruited well enough to win 10 games most seasons. We wanted more. He’s with the ACC Network now.

You have to recruit at the highest levels to do that, especially in the SEC. You are not going to take down Bama if you are all excited about fliipping a 3* OL from FSU who is ranked in the 600s, while Bama has 2 5* OT, and 3 top 100 OL. Look at UGAs OL recruiting the last 4 years. Top 10 guys, 5* and 4* all over the place. We had 2 OTs drafted in the 1st round, and an OG in the 3rd. We will reload with 5* talent this year because of the level of recruiting.