• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Flopping

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How often do we see guys who live around the perimeter and fall down after a contested jumpshot when there's no contact to get to the line? We see it a lot but yet for some reason others don't see that as flopping and it's been going on for years.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How often do we see guys who live around the perimeter and fall down after a contested jumpshot when there's no contact to get to the line? We see it a lot but yet for some reason others don't see that as flopping and it's been going on for years.

I see that as flopping as well. There's many ways to "flop". This was a nice post by Vita:

There is the all so familiar 'flop to get the charge call'.

And more recent 'vocal flop' and that is the 'yell out load' when you're in the paint on offense and get either some minor contact or an appearance of contact I guess sometimes there is really a foul here and the player is worried the refs might miss it.

Then there is the 'fall down on the jump shot' by the offensive player on the minor contact or an appearance of contact.

Of course the 'acting of pure and total injury on a hard foul type flop' that is an effort to get either a flag 1 or flag 2 call or even just a technical. Funny how these dudes always seem to tough it out and return to the game, usually to score out of their minds because they now have beat their true match-up in the game by getting their opponent tossed.

And then the most recent of flops is the 'jumping forward on a rebound' (I hate this one because it's so obvious) when someone is behind you and their is minor contact or an appearance of contact and you have not shot at the rebound, just act like you got pushed and you can get the random call no and then, what a racket.

Of course the most irritating of all is the 'fake contact flop' eg when the opposition swings the elbows and the defender flops on the fake contact. We've seen this a few times, I think it was Bosh who did this once so well. Can someone post the video of that? Those calls are the hardest to take, because there is no foul at all just the fooling of the refs involved, no 50/50 call to make a decision like horns stated just a pure acting job.

I'd add the CP3 flop. This is where when dribbling you lean into the defensive player and then flail back as if the defensive player bumped you hard. Dude gets tons of And 1's with that flop.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fining players for flopping is relatively useless. It's seems that the NBA didn't really enforce this much anyway. I want to say that maybe a dozen players were fined this season? I don't remember it being many and there were likely plenty of flops where the guilty party didn't get fined.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Durant didn't appreciate this flop.

Last edited by a moderator:

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone watch the Miami @ Cleveland game last night and see the Spoelstra flop immitation? :L

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone watch the Miami @ Cleveland game last night and see the Spoelstra flop immitation? :L

fHYitAp.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/fHYitAp.jpg

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to not mind flopping when it was just done occasionally. Heck, 2 of the greatest floppers in league history (Vlade and D-Fish) perfected their art as Lakers. I used to laugh every time one of them got a call off of a flop.

But then more and more players started doing it more often and a lot of the time, there wasn't even any contact. Some NBA games looked like soccer matches. Now I fucking hate it.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to not mind flopping when it was just done occasionally. Heck, 2 of the greatest floppers in league history (Vlade and D-Fish) perfected their art as Lakers. I used to laugh every time one of them got a call off of a flop.

But then more and more players started doing it more often and a lot of the time, there wasn't even any contact. Some NBA games looked like soccer matches. Now I fucking hate it.
I always enjoyed watching Fisher flop though because he did it so well and sold it so high. To know he is flopping, all you had to do is to look at his biceps and you would then realize that if he didn't flop, the person charging at him would be seriously hurt :lol: Now that was art