• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Flecther Cox gets paid

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDT, Miller wants to gouge...he wants what he wants and the Cox deal helped firm up the market for what he wanted. If he now decides he wants more because of Cox, Elway should take that as not negotiating in good faith and I can see this dragging out a lot longer.

This is my thought as well. I honestly as a Bronco fan was happy when this Cox deal happened because I do think it speeds things up a bit. Instead of Elway having some ground to stand on that he should stick with his $39.5 million in fully guaranteed money this contract just helps push the issue all the more that the Broncos need to guarantee that 3rd year. Just where the market is heading with these top players. Honestly now that this Cox deal is done it wouldn't surprise me if Elway and Von get something done in the next week or two. I don't think this deal takes clear up until July 15th to get done.

I also agree I don't think Miller is out to gouge the Broncos. I don't see him being that guy. He knows to keep the team competitive it is best for him to not completely destroy the cap. When he and Elway already agreed on the overall value of the contract it showed he is good with making just a hair more than Suh. He doesn't want the $3-4 million per year more than the next highest paid guy kind of deal.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course they were.

And they would continue to be competitive.

Aren't they the team who currently has very few free agents? Hasn't it been their way to be cost efficient?

Not every player will want to go to some team that is stacked. There are only so many starting positions.

What? Guys wouldnt want to go to a team where they make 4, 5, 6 times as much? Thats ridiculous. I'll stay with the Packers for 7 million because I dont want to make 50 million with Seattle. Come on.
It has been their way to be cost efficient. That goes away once there is no cap.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This. They are making a really strong push for stupidest franchise in the NFL. Unbelievable. The real losers in this, though, are the Broncos.

THey are still under the cap. Locking up your top players is stupid?

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing to keep in mind about the Eagles is they are transitioning away from Chip Kelly's mistakes. Some of the big contracts they have are going to go off the books next year when they will cut certain guys like Sam Bradford and Ryan Matthews. Bradford alone will save $13.5 million if he is cut, $17 million if they manage to somehow trade him somewhere.

So, they are spending big on locking up guys like Zach Ertz and Fletcher Cox, and I generally think that is smart, even though they are paying a lot for some of these guys. But they are also saddled with some legacy issues due to the abrupt change in front-office philosophy, and that's part of the problem.

Add another 10 mill when Peters is gone. 5 million when Celek is gone. 4 million when Sproles is gone.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's blamed for bringing that fool into the franchise in the first place. The Eagles could have let him walk this offseason, but needed someone to play the position short term and that was the only option.
We can rehash this weekly, I just think the Eagles should have signed EITHER Bradford or Daniels not both considering the plan was to move up for a QB in the draft.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What? Guys wouldnt want to go to a team where they make 4, 5, 6 times as much? Thats ridiculous. I'll stay with the Packers for 7 million because I dont want to make 50 million with Seattle. Come on.
It has been their way to be cost efficient. That goes away once there is no cap.

Except guys aren't going to go to be a back up.

Only 22 starters.... And nobody is going to pay 6 times as much. That's ridiculous.

Kill the cap.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't try to reason with Hank on this. He FEEEEEELS it. Back off people. Let Hank feel.

Facts have no bearing. Or logic.

Won't someone think of the feelings?

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't try to reason with Hank on this. He FEEEEEELS it. Back off people. Let Hank feel.

Facts have no bearing. Or logic.

Won't someone think of the feelings?

"It's my party and I'll cry if I want to. " (LESLEY GORE)

Not that I want to.

Kill the cap.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lurie probably has to sit next to the new owners at the league meeting...the Eagles have artificially inflated the market for QBs and now Dlineman.

Cox is a great player and deserves to be the highest paid on THAT team, but they went overboard.

Possible true but pay him now at that amount or pay him later at possibly a higher amount. Either way, Cox was going to get paid by the Eagles or someone else willing to jump in.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks a lot Eagles for really upping the price for this guy.

AP_127839134781.jpg

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This reminds me of people losing their minds over Wilson's deal. It's already looking cheap by comparison, and wait until Luck signs his.

We all going to say, 'Hey thanks Jim Irsay, for screwing up the league!' when Luck signs?

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This reminds me of people losing their minds over Wilson's deal. It's already looking cheap by comparison, and wait until Luck signs his.

We all going to say, 'Hey thanks Jim Irsay, for screwing up the league!' when Luck signs?

Not me.

I'm going to say "Kill the cap!!"

Because even though I don't believe I believe this, "Father forgive them for they know not what they are doing."

Because that is what the cap is doing. Forgiving them for their sins.....

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not me.

I'm going to say "Kill the cap!!"

Because even though I don't believe I believe this, "Father forgive them for they know not what they are doing."

Because that is what the cap is doing. Forgiving them for their sins.....

That's what you're not getting. It doesn't 'forgive' them for their sins. It keeps them from making even bigger mistakes that would do even more damage. That's what it is. Damage control. It saves the owners from themselves.

Now if that was the ONLY benefit, then I'd probably be with you.

But it's not. It keeps small market teams artificially competitive. Which is why Jerry hates it.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except guys aren't going to go to be a back up.

Only 22 starters.... And nobody is going to pay 6 times as much. That's ridiculous.

Kill the cap.

They absolutely will pay more then 6 times as much. Remember when A-Rod made more then 3 or 4 teams entire roster. Would happen in football. An uncapped football would iinstantly kill the Chiefs, the Chargers, the Packers, the Saints, Buffalo, the Jags, the Titans, the Colts.

The only reason your anti cap is because your team is one of the big 5. It would absolutely ruin football. If you happened to be a fan of any of the teams I listed you'd NEVER see 5 win seasons

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is the benefit to the fans if the cap was erased? I can't see one.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is the benefit to the fans if the cap was erased? I can't see one.
A few fans would see dynasties and we'd see a couple really badass teams ala the 49'ers and Cowboys. That's about it though, imo. At least in baseball with all the gtd money being thrown around if a team like the Yankees signs a flop for 200 million- they're on the hook for 200 million no questions asked. In Football with un-guaranteed money a team like Dallas could just pay as you go practically. It would be absurd. Most but maybe 1 or 2 very well run small markets at a given time would be screwed.

I am not old enough to remember what the 70's and 80's were like, but i know enough to say they were pretty terrible for the Chiefs, Packers, etc and the lack of a cap was one of the reasons for it. Having QB's like Kenney didn't really help their cause though...

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They absolutely will pay more then 6 times as much. Remember when A-Rod made more then 3 or 4 teams entire roster. Would happen in football. An uncapped football would iinstantly kill the Chiefs, the Chargers, the Packers, the Saints, Buffalo, the Jags, the Titans, the Colts.

The only reason your anti cap is because your team is one of the big 5. It would absolutely ruin football. If you happened to be a fan of any of the teams I listed you'd NEVER see 5 win seasons
Will some teams pay more than others sure, but 6 times more is a big reach. I see you mention ARod, but you have to also factor in Football rosters are 53 deep, while baseball is 1/2 that.