• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Flacco Is A Gangster

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like someone already said, this is the problem with "letting them play" in the Super Bowl. The NFL is pretty much encouraging chaos and a blatant disregard to the rules... echoing Charlie Casserly.

Personally, I think Flacco was just talking shit and wouldn't have actually done it... so it isn't a big deal to me, but the fact that someone is saying it just shows the mindset that follows once the guys know that the refs are chucking the rules out the window. They at least consider it because what the hell, maybe they won't call it...

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God, I hate that excuse.

This reminds me of a time on Niners.com where a guy "FIFY"'d a post in similar fashion and the original poster replied with something like, "If you ever change my post again in your quote, I'm going to...." He was genuinely mad. So the second guy responded with changing the quote to, "If you ever correct my post for accuracy again, I'm going to..." I can't remember what the elipses were but they were something like, "cry to my mommy for apple juice." I wanted them to arrange a fight, but it didn't happen.

I do remember people on ESPN setting up a fight and not showing up because, who fights over a message board? The guy who took it seriously couldn't make up his mind whether he was mad that the guy never showed up and saying that he beat his ass. The original claim was that he beat him up and then later let it slip that the other guy was too chicken to show up. Someone linked those two comments up pointing out the contradictions. Don't remember who it was.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If teams couldn't strategize to hold more, etc. I'd be ok with it tie going to no flag, but since they can, I don't like it. In basketball, it makes more sense because there are so many possessions by both teams and so many people get the ball, etc. Although, in the last minute of the game, there could be equal upset.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bad calls happen every game; that's a given. What cost the 49ers the game was poor pass defense and not being prepared to play the game. Had they played any kind of football for the first two and a half quarters there would have been no need for your incessant whining about the refs.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad calls happen every game; that's a given. What cost the 49ers the game was poor pass defense and not being prepared to play the game. Had they played any kind of football for the first two and a half quarters there would have been no need for your incessant whining about the refs.

THIS

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Complete bull. Who cares if they didn't play well in the first half and gave up points, that is part of the game of football, that is why the play 4 quarters, the game is not over when one team looks like it is going to win. The fact is, the team player their hearts out and mounted an amazing comeback only to have the rug pulled out from under them by the refs. The refs allowed the Ravens to completely disregard the rules of football and because of it, the 49ers lost on very important situations.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW I believe Suggs said that they were serious about coming off the sidelines and tackling Ginn.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh NN...forgot the little green pills again today?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
all i think of reading this thread is how ridiculous some people sound.........

i have seen the rangers blow a WS, have seen the nba give the mavs the biggest screw job against the heat in 06 , but i dont think any of the fans i talked to took as hard as ya'll seem to be taking a loss that was mostly your own doing

Definitely agree on this one. That series was one of the biggest jokes I've ever seen in terms of refereeing. I remember a play where Dirk was running in the opposite direction of Dwayne Wade, doing everything he could to get away from him, and Wade ran right into him, heaved up a ridiculous shot, and got the call. So frustrating to watch that shit, and I'm only a lukewarm Mavs fan cause my college roommate loved them and we used to watch together.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I agree the Niners played very poorly early in the game, and would have won handily if they'd gotten off to a better start. That said, how much would the game have changed if the officials had called the game correctly?

If they had flagged the Ravens for the chippy plays when the Niners had the ball, maybe the Niners mount a drive early.

If they had ejected Cary Williams - as they ABSOLUTELY should have - the Ravens would have been in big trouble in coverage throughout the game. Not to mention the 15-yard penalty there, combined with the ensuing drive as it played out, would have led to a long FG attempt (which, frankly, might have hurt the Niners if they'd hit it as this was the drive with the fake).

If they had flagged Torrey Williams for PI on what should have been a Chris Culliver INT, they would have been facing 3rd and 20 on the TD to Jones. It's tough to say that would have changed the outcome of that drive, but who knows? At the very least, the D would have had 10 more yards to make a tackle before Jones got in the endzone.

And obviously if they had flagged the hold on Miller the KR would have come back.

I personally thought Culliver commited PI on the Ravens' final FG drive, but that's the sort of play that had been tolerated all game, and obviously that was a huge play as well. Stop them there and the Niners only need a FG to win.

Those are extremely significant plays, and don't even take into account the end of the game. The officials "let them play" to FAR too great an extent in this game, and the Ravens took full advantage. I think they crossed the line between physical and some blatant rule violations. The failure to flag Williams at all, and to call the outrageous holding on the safety just serve to solidify the perception that the officials weren't calling the game according to the rules.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Something else has bothered me about the talk following the game. A lot of people who believe the no-call on the Crabtree pass was the right call have mentioned that Crabtree made contact first. Well gosh, here's the thing: Crabtree made contact, legally, within five yards. Then, when he attempted to disengage, also within give yards, Smith reached around his back and grabbed him. That isn't legal even within five yards, and Smith held on for at least 2-3 past the five-yard spot. A receiver making contact within five yards does not justify a hold. It's the same sort of ridiculous logic that Pereira attempted to apply to the "you can't hold on a double-team unless you bring the guy to the ground" argument. It just doesn't make sense. And I must say, it's really irritating that legitimate sports people are justifying a hold because Crabtree took an action that is explicitly permitted in the rules.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree the Niners played very poorly early in the game, and would have won handily if they'd gotten off to a better start. That said, how much would the game have changed if the officials had called the game correctly?

If they had flagged the Ravens for the chippy plays when the Niners had the ball, maybe the Niners mount a drive early.

If they had ejected Cary Williams - as they ABSOLUTELY should have - the Ravens would have been in big trouble in coverage throughout the game. Not to mention the 15-yard penalty there, combined with the ensuing drive as it played out, would have led to a long FG attempt (which, frankly, might have hurt the Niners if they'd hit it as this was the drive with the fake).

If they had flagged Torrey Williams for PI on what should have been a Chris Culliver INT, they would have been facing 3rd and 20 on the TD to Jones. It's tough to say that would have changed the outcome of that drive, but who knows? At the very least, the D would have had 10 more yards to make a tackle before Jones got in the endzone.

And obviously if they had flagged the hold on Miller the KR would have come back.

I personally thought Culliver commited PI on the Ravens' final FG drive, but that's the sort of play that had been tolerated all game, and obviously that was a huge play as well. Stop them there and the Niners only need a FG to win.

Those are extremely significant plays, and don't even take into account the end of the game. The officials "let them play" to FAR too great an extent in this game, and the Ravens took full advantage. I think they crossed the line between physical and some blatant rule violations. The failure to flag Williams at all, and to call the outrageous holding on the safety just serve to solidify the perception that the officials weren't calling the game according to the rules.

I'm not disagreeing that the game was poorly officiated, in fact I think I said it is a given that bad calls will occur in every game. I guess, in general, I'm more of a "let the teams play" kind of fan. I get sick to death of every single touch by a defender being called a penalty.

Anyway, I'm sure a lot of calls were missed the other way as well. I just don't like it when fans blame a loss on the refs as THE reason the team lost when there were so many other significant reasons that were within the 49ers control that cost them the game. I will agree with you though that a foul is a foul no matter when it occurs in the game and the last pass to Crabtree probably should have had a foul called there.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something else has bothered me about the talk following the game. A lot of people who believe the no-call on the Crabtree pass was the right call have mentioned that Crabtree made contact first. Well gosh, here's the thing: Crabtree made contact, legally, within five yards. Then, when he attempted to disengage, also within give yards, Smith reached around his back and grabbed him. That isn't legal even within five yards, and Smith held on for at least 2-3 past the five-yard spot. A receiver making contact within five yards does not justify a hold. It's the same sort of ridiculous logic that Pereira attempted to apply to the "you can't hold on a double-team unless you bring the guy to the ground" argument. It just doesn't make sense. And I must say, it's really irritating that legitimate sports people are justifying a hold because Crabtree took an action that is explicitly permitted in the rules.

Pereira is no longer legitimate in my book. It is clear the league has put the clamps on him. When he first started he would often (or often enough) take an opposing, seemingly more truthful, point of view. Now, he seems to have become just another NFL lackey.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pereira is no longer legitimate in my book. It is clear the league has put the clamps on him. When he first started he would often (or often enough) take an opposing, seemingly more truthful, point of view. Now, he seems to have become just another NFL lackey.

Bem,

I'm not sure if you are a Giants fan or not, but did you know that Pereira was the Center Fielder for the Santa Clara Broncos. When I was a kid they used to play a few exhibiitions against the Giants and I saw him hit a homerun off of Gaylord Perry at The Stick.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bem,

I'm not sure if you are a Giants fan or not, but did you know that Pereira was the Center Fielder for the Santa Clara Broncos. When I was a kid they used to play a few exhibiitions against the Giants and I saw him hit a homerun off of Gaylord Perry at The Stick.

As I like to say, I was born in Kezar Stadium and raised in Candlestick Park! That there is some serious effing trivia Brother! I never knew that. Pereira went yard on Gaylord? Perry must have had cotton mouth that day - lol!!

As for the Giants, I became a fan again the moment they got rid of Magowan.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they wanted diversity in the Superbowl. To avoid lawsuits later on discrimination? For PR? If they were going to fix the game, I would have seen the calls earlier in the game, too. Desperation, they can't hope that they will win fairly but then start the BS when the game gets late. That'd be too patient. I expect impatience by those who are so committed to an outcome just like I expect incompetence from criminals. It can happen, but not expected.

Like the first play of the game?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like the first play of the game?

Was it a wrong call? Ticky-tack? Or what? Illegal formation isn't that subjective. I haven't heard anyone challenge that call. I've just heard people wonder how we would mess that up.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And despite that, they were in a position to win the game. Then the officials decided to stop doing their jobs, and the Ravens knew they could get away with anything after shoving an official netted no penalty, nor ejection.

Don't pretend the refs didn't impact the outcome of that game. Did the 9ers call bad plays in that final series? Yes. Did the officials stop participating when the game was on the line? Yes.

Come on.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was it a wrong call? Ticky-tack? Or what? Illegal formation isn't that subjective. I haven't heard anyone challenge that call. I've just heard people wonder how we would mess that up.

How does that call get made (ticky tack doesn't describe it; the way the ref called the penalty, I had never EVER heard that explanation for a call before), yet the three absolute travesties at the end of our potentially game-winning drive not get called?

Embarrassing, frankly.